BRM Reviews NXT Great American Bash 2020: Week 1 (great)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews NXT Great American Bash 2020: Week 1 (great)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 2nd, '20, 18:41

NXT Great American Bash 2020: Week 1 (7/1/2020)- Orlando, FL

FOUR-WAY ELIMINATION #1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Dakota Kai vs. Mia Yim vs. Candice LeRae vs. Tegan Nox- 6.75/10
GM William Regal has mandated “no outside interference” for this match. Why doesn’t he do that for every match?
Candice was eliminated far too quickly for someone who is supposed to be a big player in the division. Things were good for a while, but the final segment between Tegan and Dakota dragged on for WAY too long. I thought Tegan winning was an odd choice if the idea of these feuds with first Charlotte and now Sasha has been to turn Io into a babyface. Giving her a fully-fledged heel like Dakota seems like a much better choice.

DAMIAN PRIEST PROMO- good… until they had to come up wit a way to force that awful catchphrase in.

TIMOTHY THATCHER vs. ONEY LORCAN- 7.75/10
MORE OF THIS! These were wo combat athlete had a f*cking professional wrestling match.
Thatcher won clean, but left the hold locked in after the match just to be a dick.

KARRION KROSS & SCARLETT VIDEO- good

HANDICAP MATCH IN WHICH IF RHEA RIPLEY LOSES, SHE MUST JOIN THE ROBERT STONE BRAND: Rhea Ripley vs. Robert Stone & Aliyah- 4.25/10
This was fine for what it was, but Stone and keys come off so badly by being made to look like total punks who Rhea doesn’t even have to break a sweat to deal with.

STRAP MATCH: Roderick Strong vs. Dexter Lumis- 7/10
I’ve come to the conclusion that Lumis is the kind of guy you only get to build up once and he loses a lot of his value the moment you beat him the first time, so I’m now fine with them having him run through UE to get to Cole, but they need to get to the Cole match soon.

KEITH LEE VS. ADAM COLE VIDEO PACKAGE- decent

JOHNNY GARGANO & CANDICE LERAE INTERVIEW- fine
Candice complains about being ganged up on, then goes to brawl with Mia Yim, who she saw walking by. Isaiah “Swerve” Scott tried to break it up, and Gargano got angry at Scott for putting his hands on Candice when he tried to break the fight up.

SANTOS ESCOBAR PROMO SEGMENT- fine, I guess
Escobar started to cut an okay promo until Drake Maverick ran out in a neck brace to try to fight him. He got beaten down three on one until Breezango came out to make the save. Fandango challenged El Legado del Fantasma to a six-man tag next week.

CAMERON GRIMES PROMO- AWESOME!

In addition to the aforementioned six-man tag, Mia Yim vs. Candice LeRae in a Street Fight has also been added to next week’s show.

IO SHIRAI vs. SASHA BANKS (w/Bayley)- 8.25/10
Sasha showed up with someone driving her in a fancy car. Bayley was in the front seat, along with a dog, who was presumably signed within the past hour so that so AEW couldn’t bring him or her in for the Puppy Battle Royale.
This was an excellent babyface vs. heel match that did a tremendous job of building up to the big stuff at the end. The overbooking on the finish worked for me. This was one of the rare times in WWE (or TNA, or recent ROH, for that matter) where it felt like the interference finish served a real purpose for another storyline rather than being a convenient way to get out of doing a clean finish.

A GREAT show from NXT, and next week looks like it could be pretty darn great, too. I just really hope they don’t a f*ck finish on this match that they’ve been building up so much. It’s the sort of match that you shouldn’t hype up that much if you’re not going to give us a satisfying finish.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3