BRM Reviews the 10/1/2020 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/1/2020 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '20, 23:05

HERITAGE CUP TOURNAMENT QUALIFYING MATCH: Kenny Williams vs. Ashton Smith vs. Amir Jordan- 7/10
None of these three feel like they’re at the level of the other people in the tournament, so turning in a strong performance here to elevate the winner was going to be key, and they definitely did that. The story of Smith going against two tag team partners was told well, and they did a great job of using the three-way stipulation.

JINNY VS. XIA BROOKSIDE VIDEO PACKAGE- meh
Xia came off like the most generic babyface ever. Jinny’s part was fine.

EDDIE DENNIS VIDEO PACKAGE- good

WE GET A REMINDER OF THE MYSTERIOUS ASSAULT ON MARK ANDREWS FROM BEFORE THE PANDEMIC- necessary

“FLASH” MORGAN WEBSTER INTERVIEW- fine
Oh. Andrews is apparently still injured from that assautl

JINNY vs. XIA BROOKSIDE- 5.5/10
Jinny won mostly cleanly, then cut a very good promo afterwards.

A-KID VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

HERITAGE CUP TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH WITH PETE DUNNE AS SPECIAL GUEST REFEREE: Alexander Wolfe vs. Noam Dar- 6.5/10
The rules for this tournament are:
6 three-minute rounds, with a twenty-second break in between them.
A fall automatically ends the round.
The matches are two out of three falls, unless it’s a DQ or a KO, in which case that ends the match on its own.
If no one has two falls by the end of the sixth round, the person head on falls wins. They did not specify what will happen if it’s tied, which seems like a very likely possibility and thus is quite the embarrassing oversight.
I’m always skeptical of matches in round, but I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Dar took advantage of Dunne’s positioning to hit his finisher, so Wolfe was annoyed at Dunne. Wolfe had earlier attacked Dar between rounds so Dunne already wasn’t happy with Wolfe. Wolfe took a swing at Dunne but Dunne got his punch off first and kicked Wolfe’s ass until WALTER came out to confront him. WALTER distracted Dunne until Wolfe recovered and blindsided him, and the two of them beat Dunne down until Ilja Dragunov came out and made the save. One assumes this will result in one heck of a tag match.

This was a fine episode of NXT UK. I’m a little more optimistic about this tournament than I was going in, but I’m definitely not fully on board. I’m glad to see Jinny getting a push, but they don’t really seem to have an opponent ready for her.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3