BRM Reviews the 2/4/2021 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/4/2021 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 10th, '21, 20:55

XIA BROOKSIDE vs. NINA SAMUELS- 4/10
Nina had a servant bring some luggage to ringside, playing off of her previous disrespectful comments about Xia’s father. Nina won with a shot from a presumably loaded handbag.

JORDAN DEVLIN RIGHTFULLY BURIES SID SCALA FOR NOT HAVING TONIGHT’S SHOW BOOKED YET- It’s nice to see someone get called out for this.

SID SCALA PULLS JACK STARZ OUT OF AN INTERVIEW- The announcers speculate that he will be Jordan Devlin’s opponent.

JOSH MORRELL vs. JOSEPH CONNERS (w/Jinny)- 1.5/10
This was mostly a squash that went on A LOT longer than it needed to. They got over the idea that Jinny was giving Conners confidence by telling him that he was worthy.

SHA SAMUELS VIDEO PACKAGE- His family are butchers. Hopefully they’re not as loud, annoying, and boring as he is.

XIA BROOKSIDE DEMANDS THAT SID SCALA GIVE HER A REMATCH AGAINST NINA SAMUELS- good

TYSON T-BONE vs. ILJA DRAGUNOV- 6/10
T-Bone cut an in-set promo during his entrance. He doesn’t sound like what I would expect someone named “Tyson T-Bone” to sound like (which, admittedly, is mostly grunts). Sam Gradwell came out to ringside to bother Ilja. Eventually he got Ilja to snap on T-Bone. Ilja no-sold some strikes and got the win, but was so enraged that he once again had to be pulled off of his opponent. Gradwell kept aunting him, so Ilja attacked Gradwell, too. A flock of referees came out to separate them.
On the whole, I liked this. I liked that they actually played up the idea that either Ilja was in his own head or that Gradwell was in Ilja’s head by having him take longer than you’d expect to beat T-Bone. The only thing I didn’t like was Gradwell talking about Ilja’s family and telling him that his son was watching and shouting “you’re letting your family down.” It’s such a painful cliché, and I don’t even see how it makes sense in this context. It’s not like Ilja is losing matches.

MEIKO SATOMURA VIDEO PACKAGE- great!
This one was all of the talent putting her over and telling everyone how awesome she is. She debuts next week.
JOE COFFEY vs. DANNY JONES- 1.5/10
This was another semi-squash. It would have been fine in a vacuum, but I didn’t need to see a second one in a one-hour show.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Coffey cut a promo on Rampage Brown, so Rampage came out and told him “anytime, anywhere.”

ANDREWS & WEBSTER VS. THE HUNT VIDEO PACKAGE- GREAT!
They’re having a Street Fight next week.

JORDAN DEVLIN vs. DAVE MASTIFF- 7.25/10
Devlin was under the impression that he would be booked to defend his title, but apparently not. Mastiff cut a promo putting over Trent Seven and shoved Devlin (who had, in fairness, made fun of his weight).
This had the expected dynamic of Mastiff using his size while Devlin used his speed and worked on the knee. Sure, Devlin is a jerk, but he is coming off more and more like a babyface to me every week… and I think that might be on purpose. The obvious end goal for him is NXT Cruiserweight Champion Santos Escobar, who is a heel, and Devlin is the “true” champion according to the lineage.

This was a fine episode of NXT UK. It was slow at times, but the main event was good and they build up future matches well.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3