BRM Reviews the 2/10/2021 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/10/2021 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 11th, '21, 22:44

MENS’ DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC SEMIFINAL MATCH: LEGADO DEL FANTASMA vs. MSK- 7.25/10
An excellent, action-packed opener. It was spotty without going overboard, and it worked for what they needed to do, which was establish the winner of this match as a contrast to the winner of the other final (both GYZ and Ciampa & Thatcher and are spotty teams), and I don’t think we’ll be getting anything else like this tonight, so the spottiness doesn’t bother me that much.

MERCEDES MARTINEZ VIDEO PACKAGE PROMO BUILDING UP THE WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH AT TAKEOVER: VENGEANCE DAY- awesome

XIA LI (w/Boa) vs. A JOBBER- very good segment
Xia beat the jobber, then beat her up afterwards, too. Kacy Catanzaro & Kayden Carter came out to express their concern to their friend who is now a savage killer that she isn’t the same person she used to be. Kayden went to confront the queen about this but Xia grabbed her from behind and threw her off the stage. Xia and Bo both seemed to apologize to the queen for this. The queen choked Boa out while Xia went to beat up Kacy. Xia begged for mercy for Boa and said mercy was granted. Everyone played their roles very well.

SCARLETT IS IN WILLIAM REGAL’S OFFICE- fine
They used an interview with Regal about the Dusty Cup to establish why the camera was there.
Regal asked Scarlett what she was doing in his office (he came in and she was already there). She responded “I’m here because is he comes, it won’t be good.” Upon hearing this line I screamed in terror, because this is exactly the sort of bullsh*t they’ve made Alexa Bliss! say over the past few months.
Regal booked the Santos Escobar vs. Karrion Kross match that Kross wants. Scarlett spoke in tongues at him.

THE WAY PROMO- TERRIBLE segment
Johnny Gargano is in a wheelchair and also has his arm in a sling. Barrett was GREAT coming up with explanations that gave Gargano the benefit of the doubt during his entrance, but everything else here sucked. This was one of those stupid old southern territorial segments where the heel comes up with some ridiculous lie to try to get out of a match and the babyface authority figure immediately sees through it and exposes the lie, resulting in 1) everyone’s time being wasted, and 2) the heel looking like an idiot for screwing up basic details in his/her story.
It got even worse when KUSHIDA snuck up behind the heels and Regal started to talk to him and they were all “why are you talking to KUSHIDA when he’s not even here?” This included Theory turning to KUSHIDA and giving him a “can you believe this guy?” look, then doing a double take when he realized who he was talking to. Total cartoon bullsh*t. Ditto for Gargano getting punched during the brawl and making sure to take a bump over the wheelchair. This is sh*t you do with a clown like The Miz, not a top guy like Johnny Gargano.
And, of course, during this brawl, Indi and Candice just stood there and watched rather than attacking KUSHIDA because the script didn’t call for KUSHIDA to lose the fight and they didn’t want to have KUSHIDA have to hit a woman, so the trained wrestlers with no morals just stood there and didn’t get involved in their teams’ fight

WOMEN’S DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC SEMIFINAL MATCH: Ember Moon & Shotzi Blackheart vs. The Way (Candice LeRae & Indi Hartwell)- 7/10
Ember Moon BARELY touching Indi when she was pinning Shotzi after that big combo stretches credulity that she moved Indi enough to create any sort of doubt that she maintained contact with Shotzi. The finish was also bad, Indi Hartwell tried to protect Candice from taking Shotzi’s top-rope senton by throwing her own body in the way instead of just pulling Candice to safety. This resulted in Indi getting pinned because she was the legal woman on her team (another logical reason to not sacrifice herself for Candice at that moment.
Other than those two things, I really like the match, but those two moments at the end definitely dragged it down for me.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
Dakota Kai and Raquel Gonzalez came out, and the two teams have a very forced-feeling confrontation right by the trophy. Regal came out and announced that the winner will get a shot at the WWE Women’s Tag Team Titles, which makes sense, as it is equivalent to the men’s prize.

TIMOTHY THATCHER & TOMMASO CIAMPA PROMO- fine build for the main event

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS SANTOS ESCOBAR- good
He cut a decent promo to build up to his match with Karrion Kross. His lackeys came in and apologized to him for losing. He ordered them to “pay someone a visit. “We’re supposed to think it’s Kross, but it’s not impossible that they do a big angle going after Scarlett.

FINN BALOR VS. PETE DUNNE NXT TITLE MATCH VIDEO PACKAGE- AWESOME!

KUSHIDA vs. AUSTIN THEORY (w/Johnny Gargano)- 6/10
Gargano’s arm was still in a sling, even though his lie has been exposed. Theory needed a distraction by Gargano to get the advantage, and was in deep trouble when Gargano ran in for the DQ.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
Gargano took his arm out of the sling and pretended it was a miracle. He beat KUSHIDA up and instructed Theory to get a chair so they could break KUSHIDA’s arm. Up until this point, I was fine with this. Then Dexter Lumis got involved, pulling Austin Theory under the ring (because apparently he’s been hanging out under there). Why on Earth is Dexter Lumis sticking his nose in this feud? And what do they see in him?
Anyway, Gargano was scared of Lumis. Theory crawled out from under the ring and he was scared of Lumis, too. He got into the ring and got caught in the Hoverboard Lock. Gargano went to help Theory, running right past Lumis, who just stood there. Why did you save KUSHIDA before only to let Gargano run past you and put him down two on one?
Fortunately, KUSHIDA was able to counter Gargano’s attack and caught him in the Hoverboard Lock. Theory tried to help but Lumis caught him in his submission. At this point, the only explanation for Lumis’ behavior is that he has a creepy obsession with Austin Theory, and babyfaces should not have creepy obsessions (and yes, I am counting Big E. constantly bringing up Becky Lynch’s mom).
So Gargano and Theory get foiled for the second time tonight, and KUSHIDA gets the best of Gargano for the third time in two weeks. KUSHIDA held up Gargano’s belt, and Lumis started at him. Where is the heat?

TONI STORM VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- awesome!

IMPERIUM VIDEO PACKAGE- great!

KARRION KROSS PROMO- awesome!
Raul Mendoza & Joaquin Wilde’s attack failed miserably.

CAMERON GRIMES SHOWS UP IN A FANCY CAR AND GIVING OUT MONEY- ATROCIOUS
He’s rich now because he bought stock in GameStop. He also made a comment that might have been mocking Undertaker’s video games comment, or possibly sucking up to him. He was extremely annoying. I don’t want to see this annoying clown on my TV. The idea of seeing him get the crap being out of him does not appeal to me because it’s just not worth the trade-off having to hear him talk. Merely having to sit through this promo nearly turned Timothy Thatcher heel to me because Thatcher had the chance to permanently cripple him and didn’t do so. He already annoyed me before, but he’s now up there with Grado, Red Shoes, Yano, Orange Cassidy, Shane McMahon, and Shotzi Blackheart on my most hated list.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS JOHNNY GARGANO- This might have been a good promo if Gargano hadn’t spent the past two months turning himself into a total clown.

IO SHIRAI VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- awesome!

GRIZZLED YOUNG VETERANS (BUT REALLY JUST ZACK GIBSON) PROMO- great!

MENS’ DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC SEMIFINAL MATCH: Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Tommaso Ciampa & Timothy Thatcher- 7.75/10
Thatcher was the babyface in peril, but they also made sure to remind us of the weakness of Ciampa’s neck. Ciampa made an awesome comeback when he got the hot tag. GYZ won clean, and they even had Ciampa get pinned to really put them over. It will be interesting to see where Thatcher & Ciampa go from here.

At the end of the show, we got cuts to a lot of forced stare-downs between people in TakeOver matches while the announcers ran down the card. It wasn’t good.

This was an up and down show from NXT. There was some really great build for TakeOver (particularly in the women’s title and men’s title matches) but also a lot of missteps. On the whole I think the negatives (the Gargano crap and the awful sh*t with Cameron Grimes) outweighed the positives by a significant degree. As a go-home show, it was a wash, but as a general episode of a wrestling TV show, it was probably a 4/10. Not quite bad, but certainly below average and far away from being good.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews the 2/10/2021 NXT

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 12th, '21, 04:22

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 11th, '21, 22:44
He’s rich now because he bought stock in GameStop. He also made a comment that might have been mocking Undertaker’s video games comment, or possibly sucking up to him. He was extremely annoying. I don’t want to see this annoying clown on my TV. The idea of seeing him get the crap being out of him does not appeal to me because it’s just not worth the trade-off having to hear him talk. Merely having to sit through this promo nearly turned Timothy Thatcher heel to me because Thatcher had the chance to permanently cripple him and didn’t do so. He already annoyed me before, but he’s now up there with Grado, Red Shoes, Yano, Orange Cassidy, Shane McMahon, and Shotzi Blackheart on my most hated list.
Six million eight hundred thousand and one stars. That's how many stars I give this segment. This is something of a shoot, as he actually made an ass ton of money from the Gamestop thing, and PLUGGED ROBINHOOD ON TWITTER FOR HEEL HEAT.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 12th, '21, 11:43

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 12th, '21, 04:22
Six million eight hundred thousand and one stars. That's how many stars I give this segment. This is something of a shoot, as he actually made an ass ton of money from the Gamestop thing, and PLUGGED ROBINHOOD ON TWITTER FOR HEEL HEAT.
You must be a glutton for punishment.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 12th, '21, 18:21

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 12th, '21, 11:43
NWK2000 wrote: Feb 12th, '21, 04:22
You must be a glutton for punishment.
Wrestling is fucking stupid. Let it be so.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.