BRM Reviews the 3/4/2021 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/4/2021 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 17th, '21, 14:44

KAY LEE RAY VS. MEIKO SATOMURA VIDEO PACKAGE- awesome hype for tonight’s main event.

ILJA DRAGUNOV vs. SAM GRADWELL- 5.75/10
Good stuff. Gradwell tried to get Ilja angry and eventually Ilja snapped. He won via stoppage with crucifix elbow, but kept attacking him after the bell. Referees tried to pull Ilja off so he shoved one of them. That seemed to snap him out of it and he was very upset with himself. The announcers wondered if Ilja had “become everything Sam Gradwell said he was.” Gradell laughed as Ilja was sent to the back in the middle of a breakdown.

TEOMAN VIDEO PACKAGE- AWESOME!
That’s the new name they’ve given Metehan/Lucky Kid. My feelings from last week are unchanged. This is essentially what wXw should have done to have him explain his transformation from Lucky Kid into Metehan last year.

FOOTAGE OF NINA SAMUELS BEING XIA BROOKSIDE’S PERSONAL ASSISTANT- meh
Xia’s friends wants some team so Xia asks Nina to make them some team. Nina purposely over-spices the one for Xia’s friend, but then it turns out that Xia’s friend had to go and leaves her tea to Nina… who drank it, even though she knew it would taste bad. Nina growled angrily.

SUPERNOVA SESSIONS WITH SPECIAL GUEST TYLER BATE- good
Dar started off by reading notes of praise, but the last one was actually insulting… so why did he read it?
Bate’s new gimmick is that he’s Zen. Dar takes this as an invitation to try to push his buttons and make him snap. He came prepared with props to make fun of Bate for being a Vegan. Dar gave him some leaves to eat and he actually ate one of them.
Dar then tried to rub Bate’s recent loss to A-Kid in his face but unlike with the leaf, Bate wasn’t biting. He announced that he has asked for next week’s match against Dave Mastiff to be contested under Heritage Cup rules, and that request has been granted. He then scared Dar by setting up Bob but not following through with Bip (or whichever one is which. The point is that he didn’t punch Dar, but Dar thought he was going to and flinched). Bate announced that he was “nobody’s doormat.”

BEN CARTER PROMO AND FOOTAGE OF HIM LEARNING THE BRITISH STYLE- fine

ALEAH JAMES VIDEO PACKAGE- A fine introduction to her character (which is that of a generic babyface)

ISLA DAWN USES A OUIJA BOARD AND SIMILAR THINGS- weird
I’m not sure if the idea here was that she was getting talked to by a spirit and we were hearing it, or if this was just something she put together to be intimidating somehow. I don’t like the former and I thought this was ineffective at the latter, but I will admit that I was happy to finally see someone who has been telling us for years that she is a “witch” actually do witch things.

ASHTON SMITH & OLIVER CARTER vs. KENNY WILLIAMS & AMIR JORDAN- 6/10
Solid babyface vs. babyface action. We’re supposed to be suspicious of Kenny Williams for reaching into the ring to break up a pin illegally, but people make illegal saves so often that it’s really hard for me to see Williams has having crossed any sort of line.
Jordan was unaware of Williams involvement, which I am sure will be important to the story going forward.

JINNY & JOSEPH CONNERS VS. PIPER NIVEN & JACK STARZ VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- great

KENNY WILLIAMS & AMIR JORDAN CELEBRATE THEIR WIN- fine

NXT WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Kay Lee Ray(c) vs. Meiko Satomura- 8/10
This was mostly big moves and counters, but it was paced well and they sold enough between the moves that the fact that it was 90% big moves and counters didn’t make it feel spotty. KLR won, but gave Meiko an uncharacteristic show of respect afterwards.

Another great episode of NXT UK.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/4/2021 NXT UK

Post by XIV » Mar 18th, '21, 01:32

NXT UK is the closest thing you can get to some of the late 70’s early 80’s presentation of wrestling. It’s just such a good solid show. 8/10 shows are at least good and how can you not love it?
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 18th, '21, 16:12

XIV wrote: Mar 18th, '21, 01:32 NXT UK is the closest thing you can get to some of the late 70’s early 80’s presentation of wrestling. It’s just such a good solid show. 8/10 shows are at least good and how can you not love it?
This. It's probably the best product out there right now (thought I haven't seen either of wXw's show from this year... and, obviously, there is stuff I don't watch, but I at least try to keep taps on that stuff and it doesn't seem too interesting).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Mar 18th, '21, 23:50

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 18th, '21, 16:12
XIV wrote: Mar 18th, '21, 01:32 NXT UK is the closest thing you can get to some of the late 70’s early 80’s presentation of wrestling. It’s just such a good solid show. 8/10 shows are at least good and how can you not love it?
This. It's probably the best product out there right now (thought I haven't seen either of wXw's show from this year... and, obviously, there is stuff I don't watch, but I at least try to keep taps on that stuff and it doesn't seem too interesting).
They’re so good at what I would call “micro-stories”
Take Trent Seven losing a bunch of weight, he’s done if for himself clearly BUT they’ve used it in storyline to get him to fight for the Cruiserweight title. It’s an awesome piece of story telling that WWE is missing these days.
Have A Nice Day!