BRM Reviews the 3/11/2021 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/11/2021 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '21, 16:06

HERITAGE CUP RULES MATCH: Dave Mastiff vs. Tyler Bate- 5.75/10
They told a good story with the size difference, but they seemed to go so deep on it that there were points where Bate felt completely ineffective, and those were often brought on by Bate’s own efforts to lift a far-larger man despite having an injured midsection. Bate did still pick up the win, but he really didn’t seem like the same wrestler he used to be.

AIOFE VALKYRIE VIDEO- fine
Her toughest challenge is herself and her confidence. Fine.

TEOMAN vs. DANNY JONES- GREAT squash
Teoman (I’ll warn you all right now that I’ll slip up and call him Metehan. Hell, I still accidentally call him Lucky Kid a lot of the time) still has his wXw music. Cool. Nigel noted that he had previously defeated Timothy Thatcher and Marcel Barthel, but didn’t mention his wins over Ilja Dragunov and WALTER (which took place in the same tournament). This squash did a great job of getting Teoman over as just plain mean, all business, and a little bit wild.

FOOTAGE OF XIA BROOKSIDE MAKING NINA SAMUELS DO STUFF FOR HER- boring

EDDIE DENNIS & THE HUNT VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- decent
Eddie is angry at Wild Boar for not having been able to compete in the Street Fight against Andrews & Webster, forcing Eddie himself to have to wrestle and get beaten up. Primate and a new member of the team beat Boar up. There was a fence between them, meant to evoke the idea that Eddie Dennis keeps these guys in a big cage, but I don’t see why they would go along with it.

AMALE VIDEO PACKAGE- whatever
This felt like a generic babyface thing, but it’s freakin’ Amale. I know she’s not a good babyface, and she’s not a particularly good wrestler, either.

GALLUS VIDEO- meh
They’re shooting pool in an empty bar. They were disappointed with themselves for losing recently.

KENNY WILLIAMS & AMIR JORDAN vs. MARK ANDREWS & “FLASH” MORGAN WEBSTER- 7/10
Earlier in the night, they framed this via a great video package that gave both teams a little bit of time to let us know why winning this match was important to them. They’ve still got that little bit of dissension between Jordan and Williams where Williams doesn’t care for Jordan’s joviality. Jordan had no problem with Williams reaching in to break up a pin last week, which was good, as that’s not really a heelish thing to do. The announcers are still pushing it as heelish, though, which isn’t good.
Williams & Jordan got to hand with the big boys… and even picked up a win, although it was be a “maybe he did it on purpose; maybe he didn’t” low blow from Williams. Jordan was NOT happy about this. This was a much better thing to use to push Williams’ potential heel turn that the thing they did last week.

TRENT SEVEN VIDEO PACKAGE- this was fine. I just don’t care about Seven trying to lose weight and win the Cruiserweight Title, and don’t think he has a chance of winning.

BEN CARTER IS CHANGING HIS NAME TO NATHAN FRAZIER- This seems like a completely pointless change without a particularly good explanation of his motivation (“a new start requires a new name” is a bullsh*t platitude in most cases, including this one).

MIXED TAG TEAM MATCH: Joseph Conners & Jinny vs. Piper Niven & Jack Starz- 6.5/10
The story of the match was the expected “Conners tries to stay in so Jinny doesn’t have to face Piper.” The finish was Piper taking Conners out with her finisher, then launching Starz into a splash on top of him for the pin. I really hope they don’t start acting like Starz accomplished something here, because it felt like Piper was the one who did the actual damage.

A decent episode of NXT UK. Not much else to say about it other than things moved along nicely and I’m excited to see where they go with Teoman.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3