BRM Reviews the 3/25/2021 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/25/2021 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 31st, '21, 11:14

SUPERNOVA SESSIONS WITH SPECIAL GUEST TRENT SEVEN- meh
Noam Dar hypes up his Heritage Cup #1 contendership match against Tyler Bate next week, then he brings out his guest. He starts to make fun of Seven. Seven eventually gets upset when Dar calls him an “outsider.” It’s funny because I think Dar was right. Dar seemed to be talking about the Cruiserweight Division, while Seven thought he was talking about NXT UK.
Sha Samuels came out and yelled a lot. Seven challenged Dar and Samuels to a match against himself and Tyler Bate in two weeks.

SID SCALA TALKS TO JOSEPH CONNERS & JINNY EARLIER TODAY- He says that Jinny and Piper Niven will be barred from ringside during tonight’s Joseph Conners vs. Jack Starz match. Jinny wasn’t happy with this.

PIPER NIVEN & JINNY ARE BARRED FROM RINGSIDE: Joseph Conners vs. Jack Starz- 6/10
A good, clean win for Conners, while Starz was allowed to at least look credible.

PRETTY DEADLY PROMO- good annoying heel stuff. They’ve got a title defense next week. I think it’s against Kenny Williams & Amir Jordan.

JACK STARZ & PIPER NIVEN BACKSTAGE- Piper gives him a pep-talk after his loss and suggests that they start training together.

JOSH MORRELL & ? vs. THE HUNT (Primate & T-Bone) (w/Eddie Dennis)- 4.5/10
So T-Bone is the one who has replaced Wild Boar. The Hunt got a solid win while Josh Morrell was a allowed to shine a little bit.

KENNY WILLIAMS & AMIR JORDAN INTERVIEW- bad
I didn’t see anything useful here. They are practicing putting headlocks on each other. Is that something pros really need to practice once they’ve graduated from wrestling school?

ALEAH JAMES vs. ISLA DAWN- 2/10
The announcers pushed the idea that Isla Dawn is more aggressive now, but I didn’t see it that much. I think they should have had this be a lot more of a squash than it was.

XIA BROOKSIDE MAKES NINA SAMUELS CLEAN A “MESSY” MEN’S BATHROOM- bad
This was a single-stall bathroom and wasn’t even close to messy. Also, washing a public men’s bathroom doesn’t really seem to fall under “personal assistant” duties, especially if the boss in question is a woman. Also, this was more of Xia just being a jerk.

KAY LEE RAY & ISLA DAWN BACKSTAGE- worrying
KLR told Isla that if Isla had wrestled like that more often, she might be in KLR’s position (champion) right now. Isla glared at her creepily where music played and there were lighting effects. I’m now very worried that we’re doing magical bullsh*t here, too. And if that’s not where this is going then it’ just goofy production which it doesn’t make sense for the company to tack on, so that would be bad, too.

NO DISQUALIFICATIONS MATCH: Sam Gradwell vs. Ilja Drgunov- 8.5/10
The story here was Gradwell messing with Ilja’s emotions and playing on his desire to be a good role-model for his son. He used this to get the advantage a few times, but Ilja always came back and went nuts and won via stoppage.
I was baffled by Gradwell calling the big chop that set Ilja off at the end “inadvertent” (Nigel later called the spot a “flashback to the match with WALTER” and so I guess Gradwell wasn’t trying to make Ilja too angry, but that didn’t seem to fit with the rest of the match). Other than that, this was great. I did worry a bit about Ilja seeming too easily manipulated, but if you’re pushing him as someone who is ruled by his emotions, that’s going to have be something that happens more often that it should with some other babyface.

This was a good episode of NXT UK. Once again, there was a lot of little movement, although unlike last week, most of this was meh or worse. The main event definitely saved the show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3