BRM Reviews the 4/8/2021 NXT UK (Prelude)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/8/2021 NXT UK (Prelude)

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 8th, '21, 14:38

First things first, it took me F*CKING FOREVER to figure out how to start watching this thing live on my
Chromecast. How the hell is here no big thing on the front of the WWE page telling us about a live event currently in progress? Shape the f*ck up, Peacock!

HERITAGE CUP #1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Noam Dar (w/Sha Samuels) vs. Tyler Bate (w/Trent Seven)- 6.75/10
A-Kid showed up on the TitanTron to tell us that he would be watching this match very closely. It’s a #1 contendership match for your championship! I would hope you’d be watching it closely!
They told a good story with Dar getting rolled up early and getting more and more desperate as time went on and he needed to tie things up. He eventually did in the fifth round after working the knee for a while, but got caught with a Tyler Driver ’97 in the sixth round for the finish.

MARK ANDREWS & “FLASH” MORGAN WEBSTER INTERVIEW- They’re disappointed by their recent loss to Kenny Williams & Amir Jordan and are trying to work their way back to the top.

FOOTAGE OF PIPER NIVEN TRAINING JACK STARZ- fine
She says she’ll get him a chance to show what he can do next week.

JORDAN DEVIN PROMO- good
He promises that after he wins the Cruiserweight Title tonight, he will come back to the UK rather than stay in the US.

MEIKO SATOMURA & AMELIA MCKENZIE vs. KAY LEE RAY & ISLA DAWN- 7/10
This change of name for McKenzie is a terrible idea. “SU-PLEX A-ME-LI-A!” doesn’t work anywhere near as well as “SU-PLEX MI-LLIE!”
This was a great long, tag match that did its job of establishing Isla and especially Millie as being on the same level as the other two, although Isla getting pinned by Millie (albeit with roll-up) definitely hurt her. Hopefully Isla’s wacky overreaction after the match is a sign that this is going somewhere rather than being yet another stop-start push for her.
The announcers pushed that KLR could have tried to break up the pin but didn’t because Meiko was in her way. Didn’t she just beat Meiko cleanly? Why are we building that back up so soon?

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- weird and bad
Aoife Valkyrie came out and took one of the feathers from her outfit and said it on the ramp. The announcers somehow knew that this was intended as a challenge to Meiko Satomura. I will never understand why they’ve given Valkyrie all of this goofy crap when she is at her best just being a relatable, human babyface.

A-KID INTERVIEW TO BUILD UP HIS TITLE DEFENSE AGAINST TYLER BATE- fine

EARLIER THIS WEEK, AMIR JORDAN STORMS INTO THE UK PC, DEMANDING TO KNOW THE WHEREABOUTS OF KENNY WILLIAMS- very good
Sid Scala tells hi that Williams isn’t here, but mollifies him by telling him that he can have a match against Williams next week.

KENNY WILLIAMS PROMO- GREAT!
He takes credit for all of his and Jordan’s combined success and says that he will prove his fact next week.

NXT UK TITLE MATCH: WALTER(c) vs. Rampage Brown- 8.5/10
Poor WALTER must be so jetlagged, flying back to the UK after having wrestled in the US just last night. This was an excellent hoss fight, but I don’t think there was really ever any doubt as to the outcome.

This was a great show from NXT UK, but I was still disappointed, as I thought this was going to be a bigger show and not just a regular-length episode. I’m not really sure where I got that impression from, but I could have sworn they had announced more matches.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3