BRM Reviews the 8/3/2021 NXT (bad)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/3/2021 NXT (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 6th, '21, 00:32

LEGADO DEL FANTASMA (w/Santos Escobar) vs. HIT ROW (Ashantee Thee Adonis & Top Dolla) (w/Hit Row)- 5/10
They did some stuff until Escobar attacked with a chair for the DQ and the dudes in Hit Row all got taken out while B-Fab did nothing because she’s just a girl, I guess? Even if you’re not pushing her as a wrestler, there is a natural way to react when your friends are getting beaten up, and what she did was not it.
Top Dolla got back up, which distracted the heels. B-Fab grabbed a chair and got into the ring and hit Wilde with a chairshot that made Lance Storm’s at Barely Legal look like something out of a Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka match. The other two heels turned around to menace her, but Top Dolla made the save. Hit Row then destroyed Escobar’s henchmen while sending him packing, so where is the f*cking heat?
They took Swerve’s grill? So what? He’s a rich champion wrestler. He can buy a new one. But even if he couldn’t buy a new one, why would you just do this instead of having LDF beat the babyfaces up AND steal Swerve’s grill? Yeah, they stole something here, but you absolutely destroyed any possibility of me thinking of them as a physical threat to Hit Row in the process.

REGAL ASSIGNS SECURITY TO ENSURE THAT SAMOA JOE AND KARRION KROSS DON’T FIGHT UNTIL TAKEOVER- good luck with that.

DEXTER LUMIS DRAWS SHOWS US PICTURES OF HIM LOVING INDI HARTWELL- snore

IKEMIN JIRO vs. RIDGE HOLLAND (w/Pete Dunne & Oney Lorcan)- no rating, bad squash
This went on for WAY too long, and having a guy who was just in your “Breakout Tournament” get squashed buries the whole tournament, IMO.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Pete Dunne cut a great promo putting their little group over.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS FRANKIE MONET, ROBERT STONE, & JESSI KAMEA- good
Monet blames Stone for the loss and says that if loses like Stone and Kamea want to be a part of her group, they have to do so under her rules.

BOBBY FISH VS. RODERICK STRONG VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

TREY BAXTER VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- fine

BOBBY FISH vs. RODERICK STRONG (w/Malcolm Bivens & the Diamond Mine)- 6.75/10
I would challenge you all to take a shot every time Beth Phoenix ends a sentence on a completely different topic than the one she began that sentence on, but I don’t want any of you to die.
Fish was a dumb-dumb and distracted himself with Diamond Mine, allowing Roddy to get the win. Can we please get a clean finish for a guy you’re trying to push with a new group against a guy who you clearly don’t see at a top level (and who is relatively old, to boot).

CAMERON GRIMES AND L.A. KNIGHT BACKSTAGE- They’re not sure that they’ll have each other’s backs tonight. Knight makes Grimes shine his shoes because he’s his butler. Also because he’s his butler, Grimes mut wrestle in his butler’s uniform.

L.A. KNIGHT & CAMERON GRIMES vs. GRIZZLED YOUNG VETERANS- 4.75/10
Grimes got in trouble and Knight hopped off the apron and wouldn’t tag in, leaving Grimes to get beaten up and pinned.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- snore
Ted Dibiase came out and told Grimes that he had to find a way out of this situation. Grimes was dumb enough to get himself stuck in this situation, so it’s hard for me to care. Actually, that’s not true. I want to see him remain Knight’s butler because he has been slightly more tolerable as the butler.

SAMOA JOE VIDEO PACKAGE- GREAT!

DAKOTA KAI VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO EXPLANING HER ACTIONS- This was a good delusional heel “I made you, therefore you’re supposed to be my lackey but you got too big for your britches” promo.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS CANDICE LERAE & JOHNNY GARGANO- decent
They insist that they know what is best for Indi Hartwell. Gargano vows to “end In-Dex.”

JOE GACY VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- meh

ADAM COLE INJURY UPDATE- He suffered “neck compressions” and thus isn’t medically cleared to compete. They used this opportunity to show a replay of Kyle attacking Cole last week. Cole and O’Reilly will have a face-to-face segment next week, with Regal moderating.

NXT BREAKOUT TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Trey Baxter vs. Joe Gacy- 5.75/10
Baxter won clean. It was fine.

IO SHIRAI AND ZOEY STARK AT A RESTAURANT- terrible… unless the idea was to make Zoey Stark look like a total loser, in which case this was worked perfectly.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS INDI HARTWELL- I’m sorry, but the “he’s just misunderstood” card doesn’t work when we’ve already seen Lumis kidnap someone

KARRION KROSS INTERRUPTS THE ANNOUNCERS PLUGGING SOMEONTHING TO CUT A PROMO- He cuts a promo on Joe, but then runs away when Joe tries to come out. Joe beat up the hapless security guards, but didn’t bother chasing after Kross after that.

KUSHIDA PROMO- good
He’ll defend against Roderick Strong.

Next week, Raquel Gonzalez will address being turned on by Dakota Kai.

IF JOHNNY GARGANO WINS, DEXTER LUMIS AND INDI HARTWELL MUST STAY AWAY FROM EACH OTHER FOREVER: Johnny Gargano vs. Deter Lumis- 7/10
Indi Hartwell came out to ringside. At one point she followed Lumis under the ring and Candice LeRae came out to pull her out. Stuff happened. The match was great, but it was hard to get invested in the outcome because I very much don’t want the outcome that they want me to want.
Gargano won clean, which surprised me, but hey! At least Indi won’t be turned into a lampshade. That’s good, right?

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- dumb
The Way go to leave, but Indi runs down to the ring and makes out with Dexter. Way to damage the value of your stipulations, NXT. And you know what? F*ck it. If Indi wants to have an episode of Law & Order: SVU based on her, then who are we to stop her. That’s basically Darwinism, right?

A bad show from NXT.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/3/2021 NXT (bad)

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 11th, '21, 19:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 6th, '21, 00:32
The Way go to leave, but Indi runs down to the ring and makes out with Dexter. Way to damage the value of your stipulations, NXT. And you know what? F*ck it. If Indi wants to have an episode of Law & Order: SVU based on her, then who are we to stop her. That’s basically Darwinism, right?
I always wondered, what would be the legal consequences for disobeying a stipulation like this? It never seems like there's anything stopping someone from going back on a stip like this outside of babyface honor.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/3/2021 NXT (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 11th, '21, 19:23

NWK2000 wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 19:06
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 6th, '21, 00:32
I always wondered, what would be the legal consequences for disobeying a stipulation like this? It never seems like there's anything stopping someone from going back on a stip like this outside of babyface honor.
Theoretically the promotion will punish them. Right after the Midnight Rider angle, Dusty won a match where Sullivan had to leave Florida for 60 days or whatever and Sullivan came back the next week under a mask... and Dusty unmasked him right away and he got suspended and they came up with some other way to bring him back (I think that's when he tried to blind Dusty by throwing ink in his face but Dusty moved and Dusty's sister got blinded instead, so Dusty demanded that Sullivan be reinstated so that he could get revenge). Hell, in Mexico, the commission can shoot blackball you for putting your mask back on after you lose it, so I assume the same sort of thing would happen in kayfabe.

In this case, also, I'd presume that Gargano can sue Dexter for breach of contract or something like that.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3