BRM Reviews the 10/19/2021 NXT (bad and boring)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/19/2021 NXT (bad and boring)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '21, 15:46

CARMELO HAYES & TRICK WILLIAMS PROMO CELEBRATION HAYES’ NORTH AMERICAN TITLE VICTORY- meh
Hayes and Wiliams cut promos. They were decent. Hayes said that his belt was now the A title. Johnny Gargano came out and sounded like a babyface again. He wants a title shot. Williams and Hayes said that Indi Hartwell was trying to get with Hayes. Dexter Lumis appeared behind them. Johnny told them to turn around. Williams took a swing at Dexter, who countered the move. This started a brawl, which the babyfaces won. I was liking this until Indi and Dexter were brought into it. That felt like something that happened just for the sake of building a tag match. Also, the babyfaces stole the title that the heel won (relatively) fairly.

ANDRE CHASE vs. ODYSSEY JONES- squash
Jones squashed Chase with ease.

MALCOLM BIVENS PROMO- good
He thinks the Creed Brothers deserve a tag title shot.

IMPERIUM (Fabian Aicher & Marcel Barthel) vs. THE CREED BROTHERS (w/the Diamond Mine)- 4/10
This started out fun, but was killed by bad finish. Said finish was KUSHIDA and Ikemen Jiro running. They started brawling with Roddy and one of the Creeds on the floor. The referee was looking right at this, but didn’t call for a DQ. The other Creed was also looking at this and got distracted by it, allowing Barthel to roll him up for the pin.
After the match, MSK jumped Imperium from behind like total heels. Yeah, it’s payback for Imperium doing it to them, but they’re the babyfaces. They should charge out and fight fairly, especially when the heels have already wrestled tonight.

KYLE O’REILLY & VON WAGNER EXERCISE IN THE WOODS- snore
They are now friends and are going to be a team.

JOE GACY PROMO- hmm…
So I think the idea now is that he’s supposed to be a cult leader. It’s still dumb, but at least they have a defense now that he’s not a terrible strawman of wokeness so much as someone misusing such things. It’s flimsy, but it’s some plausible deniability. And it’s slightly better TV, too.

LEGADO DEL FANTASMA ARE INTERRUPTED BY CORA JADE- Escobar was meh, Elektra was the one who as interrupted.

CORA JADE vs. ELEKTRA LOPEZ (w/Legado del Fantasma)- 0.5/10
Jade won a short match via roll-up even though Lopez’s shoulder was clearly up.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL INTERVIEWS TOMMASO CIAMPA & BRON BREAKKER- They’re teaming later, so of course we have to establish dissension.

Oh good. Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal is back. Said no one, ever.

WINNER SPINS THE WHEEL TO DETERMINE THE STIPULATION FOR THE NXT WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH AT HALLOWEEN HAVOC: Jacey Jane vs. Persia Pirotta vs. Io Shirai- 5.5/10
This has to be among the dumbest stipulations of all time. The whole point of the wheel is that it’s random! It doesn’t matter who spins the f*cking thing! If someone pitched this to me, I would have fired them on the spot!
They tried hard, but this match just wasn’t interesting. Io got the clean win on Pirotta with Over The Moonsault.

IO SPINS THE WHEEL- It’s going to be a “Scare-Way to Hell Ladder Match.” I’m sure there will be bumps.

BACKSTAGE, LEGADO DEL FANTASMA BEAT UP TREY BAXTER WHILE ELEKTRA LOPEZ SCREAMED AT CORA JADE- fine
Brooks Jensen and Josh Briggs ran in. Maybe to save Baxter, or maybe because they just saw a fight and wanted to get involved.

SOLO SIKOA ARRIVES NEXT WEEK- He’s “the street champ of the island.” Whatever.

IKEMEN JIRO SNEAKS UP ON KUSHIDA WHILE HE’S TRYING TO USE THE URINAL- IDIOTIC!
It’s a shame KUSHIDA wasn’t mid-stream so that he would have wound up pissing all over Jiro’s ugly jacket. Jiro would deserve that.
Jiro says he is happy to be teaming with his hero. KUSHIDA wants Jiro to make him Style-Strong, but Jiro refuses. Instead, he DUMPS THE CONTENTS KUSHIDA’S SUITCASE ALL OVER THE BATHROOM FLOOR in order to take out his jacket and sunglasses. He puts them on KUSHIDA who seems to have forgotten all about his need to pee. Jiro says that KUSHIDA must “go back… to the future.” They do a goofy pose. Someone shut the lights off. Fortunately for the camera, their stuff was all glow in the dark. This was f*cking terrible. Jiro is a huge ass. The moment he dumped KUSHIDA’S stuff on the floor, KUSHIDA should have slammed his face into the urinal repeatedly until all of his teeth fell out.

TONY D’ANGELO vs. A JOBBER- squash

SAMANTHA IRVIN INTERVIEWS TONY D’ANGELO- She asked him if he knew anything about the disappearance of Lash Legend’s producer. Didn’t he admit that he did last week?
He gives her money and tells her to “fugettaboutit.” This is a low-level gimmick at best.

DUKE HUDSON PROMO- fine

JOSH BRIGGS & BROOKS JENSEN vs. LEGADO DEL FANTASMA (Joaquin Wilde & Raul Mendoza) (w/Legado del Fantasma)- 4.75/10
The babyfaces got jumped before the match, but insisted on fighting anyway. The heels won.

MANDY ROSE VS. RAQUEL GONZALEZ VIDEO PACKAGE- good

CARMELO HAYES & TRICK WILLIAMS RECEIVE A CHALLENGE TO A TAG MATCH AT HALLOWEEN HAVOC VIA DEXTER LUMIX PICTURE- dumb
More comedy.

WINNER GETS TO HOST HALLOWEEN HAVOC: Grayson Waller vs. L.A. Knight- 1/10
You know… because hosting the show is what these guys want to do, rather than, say wrestling on the show.
Knight won a short match cleanly.

GRIZZLED YOUNG VETERANS vs. TOMMASO CIAMPA & BRON BREAKKER- 6.5/10
Holy crap, the babyfaces actually managed to work together like f*cking adults. And the frustrating thing is that this was absolutely not the team for them to do it against, because you’re in the middle of a story building to them getting a tag title shot! How hard is it to have Ciampa get pinned because the babyfaces can’t work together so that GYV van win, then use that to set up a one-off title defense of whoever comes out of Halloween Havoc with the belt to give GYV something to do while Imperium and MSK finish off their issue, then do the f*cking GYV vs MSK singles match?!

Another bad, boring, and stupid episode of NXT, full of logical holes and characters who are at best one-note gimmicks, if not total goofs. I’m about to give up on this show. I highly doubt I’ll be watching it after Halloween Havoc.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3