BRM Reviews the 12/9/2021 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 12/9/2021 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 11th, '22, 21:48

EMILIA MCKENZIE vs. BLAIR DAVENPORT- 6/10
Davenport won cleanly in a match where they were clearly holding back for a rematch.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Davenport locked McKenzie in her mentor Meiko Satomura’s STF (Satomura is currently in Japan for a few weeks).

EARLIER THIS WEEK, NOAM DAR AND SHA SAMUELS BOTHER SID SCALA- bad
They were annoying, in a change-the-channel way. Sid tells them about a #1 contendership match he has booked for next week between A-Kid and Nathan Frasier.

ILJA DRAGUNOV VS. RAMPAGE BROWN FOLLOW-UP VIDEO PACKAGE- fine
Brown was upset about his match being stopped, so he refused medical attention, refused to answer questions, and has been ignoring calls from management.

XIA BROOKSIDE INTERVIEW IN THE UK PERFORMANCE CENTER EARLIER THIS WEEK- terrible
She complains that she was only given one week to prepare for last week’s title match. She claims that Sid Scala was setting her up for failure and that “it’s not fair!” She thinks the other people around are her friends, but when she turned around to ask them to back her up, they were all gone. She said that her loss wasn’t her fault, started to have a temper tantrum, and walked off. This character is terrible.

JORDAN DEVLIN CALLS OUT ILJA DRAGUNOV- great!
They cut promos on each other. Devlin brought up llja’s son, which is Ilja’s berserk button, so Ilja attacked him. Ilja was upset with himself for losing control afterwards.

AMALE VIDEO PACKAGE- This was an awesome personality profile… but she’s a total babyface all of a sudden. Maybe I’ve just been exposed to heel Amale for too long, but using her as an “I overcame everything and this is my dream!” babyface just doesn’t seem like it will work to me.

KENNY WILLIAMS PROMO ON MARK ANDREWS- awesome!

SAM GRADWELL vs. SHA SAMUELS- 5.25/10
Gradwell won by out-cheating the other heels after they cheated first.

GALLUS PROMO- bad
They said nothing interesting. One of them will wrestle Charlie Dempsey next week. There was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR THIS TO BE A MULTI-CAMERA SHOOT. They were putting in a trunk. It was also implied that they were on the run from the cops.

A-KID VS. NATHAN FRASIER VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

NXT UK TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Pretty Deadly(c) vs. Moustache Mountain- 8.25/10
An awesome match with great nearfalls and both sides pulling out all of the stops. Moustache Mountain overcame the cheating that beat them the first time, overcame Spilt Milk, and got the win. I don’t like this title change, as Pretty Deadly were doing such a great job as champions and Moustache Mountain feel very stale and Tyler turning on Trent felt like a direction that they needed to go in to keep these guys from remaining the horrid bore they have been as characters for the past year or so.

A good episode of NXT UK, if mostly on the strength of the main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3