BRM Reviews the 2/3/2022 NXT UK (GREAT!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/3/2022 NXT UK (GREAT!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 27th, '22, 16:03

#1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT FINALS: Ashton Smith & Oliver Carter vs. Dave Mastiff & Jack Starz- 7/10
Moustache mountain were on commentary for this match. Nigel tried to stir sh*t up between them by bringing up Trent Seven’s inadvertent role in Bate losing the Heritage Cup Title.
Smtih and Carter won cleanly after Mastiff refused to tag Starz in because he thought he was doing well and didn’t need him. The dissension between Mastiff and Starz felt a little out of nowhere. If they’re going to break up, I’d much rather just have them lose cleanly, then have Mastiff blame the loss on Starz and turn on him for that.

A-KID TALKS ABOUT WORKIG WITH SAXON HUXLEY- bad
This led to a goofy video package of A-Kid trying to civilize Huxley. It was dumb. Can was please just get Huxley off TV forever?

NATHAN FRASIER IS INTERVIEWED ABOUT DIE FAMILIE AS HE TRIES TO LEAVE THE BUILDER- fine
He reiterates that they are just Teoman’s henchmen.
It turns out that they have sabotaged his car, and when he gets out to check on the problem, they attack him. Rohan Raja grabbed the camera and warned that this is what happens to people who mess with their family, which he claims Frasier did by trying to say that they weren’t one. Obviously the heels are in the wrong here for assaulting Frasier, but I have to say that we have not seen any evidence that Teoman is just using Raja and Dempsey as henchman. There has been nothing to suggest that he does not have a genuine affection for them and sees them as people in need of his guidance to succeed, and they all sought him out willingly.

MYLA GRACE vs. ISLA DAWN- 2/10
The announcers were skeptical of Isla having any real magic, and attributed her newfound success since stealing selected items from her opponent burying them in her magic box to a placebo effect (which they admitted was working well for her). Isla won a short match cleanly. They gave Grace just enough offense to feel like a credible opponent rather than a total jobber.

EARLIER THIS WEEK, NINA SAMUELS INTERRUPTED AN AMELE INTERVIEW- uch
Nina made fun of Amele for losing to Jinny last week (Amele got to remind us all that Jinny cheated to win before Nina interrupted her), and said that Amele’s fans were just as “hopeless” as Amele. Amale got upset at Nina for insulting “my fans and my community.”
Look… maybe this would be different if I hadn’t seen heel Amele in wXw, but nothing Amele says rings true to me. They just showed a video package of her one day, and then this mean woman was suddenly a babyface. Obviously the pandemic is a factor, but we haven’t seen any fans cheering for Amele, so her being so offended that her fans were insulted comes off as phony to me.

SAM GRADWELL INTERVIEW- AWESOME!
He is asked about Kenny Williams costing him last week’s match. He says that maybe he had it coming. People don’t like him because he’s bee a scumbag, but he’s not a cockroach like Kenny is, and if Kenny is going to dish it out, he needs to be prepared to take it as well.

NOAM DAR & SHA SAMUELS ARE INTERRUPTED BY GALLUS- bad
Everyone here annoyed me. The heels are still doing their f*cking betting thing, which management should shut down immediately. There was an Alicia Fox joke. Joe Coffey wants the Heritage Cup Championship.

JAPANESE STREET FIGHT FOR THE NXT UK WOMEN’S TITLE: Meiko Satomura(c) vs. Blair Davenport-8.5/10
A “Japanese Street Fight” is, unfortunately, a Street Fight where they have gone full WWE and provided (as Nigel put it) “Japanese-themed weapons.” Uch. I can’t remember them ever doing anything so main-roster-y in NXT UK before. Fortunately they didn’t do anything goofy or problematic in that direction. It mostly just felt like any other Street Fight.
The announcers kept saying that this match is right up Davenport’s alley, but I haven’t gotten that impression at all from the character in the short time she has been around, and they haven’t hinted at it in any way, either.
This was quite brutal, as they made a great use of the stipulation. The match ended wen Davenport injured her ankle hitting a double-stomp to the apron. I assume this was a shoot, but whether shoot or work, whenever Davenport returns, she has the “you didn’t beat me; I beat me” excuse to keep the feud going.

Another GREAT episode of NXT UK.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3