BRM Reviews the 2/17/2022 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/17/2022 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 20th, '22, 13:53

SAM GRADWELL vs. KENNY WILLIAMS- 4.75/10
Williams came out on crutches and claimed he was in an accident and thus couldn’t wrestle. Sid Scala popped up on the Tron from the medical area and said that the doctors got no doctor’s note from Williams as Williams claimed, and that two crutches were missing from their inventory. This sort of cartoon crap from he heel doesn’t do anything for me, but in this case at least it was used to set up something for after the match.
Gradwell won cleanly with an Alligator Clutch.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Williams grabbed one of the discarded crutches from ringside and laid Gradwell out with it. Then he got scissors from under the ring and cut off Gradwell’s mohawk. I was even fine with Andy Sheppard being a little mocking because Gradwell hasn’t quite turned full babyface yet, as he’s still a dickhole blow-hard.

THE COFFEY BORHTERS ARE BACKSTAGE, WATCHING THEMSELVES BE ASSHOLES ON LAST WEEK’S SHOW- AN UNBELIEVABLE FAILURE
Wolfgang was upset because of… something that they didn’t show. How the hell do you recap a segment but then cut away before showing the part that is the impetus for the characters’ actions this week?
Wolfgang vows to do something about whatever it is that he is upset about.

XIA BROOKSIDE INTERVIEW- bad
She is asked about Amele’s hard life-journey, so she storms out. This bratty, self-obsessed, daddy’s girl character is horrendous, but at the same time, I really can’t blame her for storming out, because the question was so out of nowhere.

DAVE MASTIFF & JACK STARZ ARE TRAINING- more cartoonish crap
Why has the undercard of this promotion turned into the cartoon bullsh*t hour?

SAM GRADWELL STORMS AROUND, LOOKING FOR KENNY WILLIAMS SO HE CAN KICK HIS ASS- Now that’s what I want to see!

EMILIA MCKENZIE vs. ANGEL HAYZE- 2.5/10
Millie won a match that should have just been a squash.
ANDY SHEPPARD’S SIT-DOWN INTERVIEW WITH NATHAN FRASIER- meh
He wants a shot at Ilja. He said “like” with the same frequency as a stereotypical teenage girl.

DIE FAMILIE VIDEO- fine
Teoman says he isn’t ashamed of losing so long as Die Familie wins. Dempsey wonders if their loss was intended by whatever their version of fate is to bring them closer together. We closed out with a close-up of three white idols.

STEVIE TURNER vs. MYLA GRACE- 4.5/10
Turner wins a meh match cleanly.

SID SCALA ANNOUNCES THAT NEXT WEEK, HE WILL BE PRESENTING NXT UK WOMEN’S CHAMPION MEIKO SATOMURA WITH A “THANK YOU GIFT” FOR EVERYTHING SHE HAS DONE THUS FAR- They should probably consider pre-taping this from a separate location to ensure that someone doesn’t come out and interrupt thus nice moment.

TAG TITLE MATCH HYPE PACKAGE- great
There were some lines in there that could possibly be foreshadowing Moustache Mountain going heel, but I don’t think that will happen.

JORDAN DEVLIN vs. WOLFGANG- 7/10
Devlin won clean after working over Wolfgang’s arm. Wolfgang was allowed to look tough in defeat.

This was not a good episode of NXT UK. The wrestling was sub-par, and the show was mostly small advancements in stories I don’t care about. It also felt like there was a lot more plugging of main roster stuff than I remember in the past.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3