BRM Reviews the 4/21/2022 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/21/2022 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 12th, '22, 13:48

BACK-ALLEY BRAWL: Kenny Williams vs. Sam Gradwell- 6.75/10
Early on in our big weapons grudge match, Kenny Williams got distracted by someone in the crowd wearing a bodysuit and a Lucha mask. Can we please finish one feud before moving on to the next?
So they had a weapons match and it was okay for the time it got, but the mysterious man whose presence was distracting Williams hung over the match like the Sword of Damocles. The masked man distracted Williams on the finish, taking away from the revenge I wanted to see Gradwell get on Kenny. I want to see my guys win fairly. That’s what makes them different from the heels.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
The masked man hopped the barricade and menaced Kenny. No one tried to get this mystery person out of the ring.

EDDIE DENNIS PROMO- awesome
He wants a tag match between his guys and Wild Boar & Mark Andrews. He says his guys will prevent the others from ever getting revenge on him.

STEVIE TURNER vs. EMILIA MCKENZIE- 4.75/10
Millie wins clean.

ISLA DAWN VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- snore
They’ve got a graphic for this “World of Darkness” match. How about telling us what the f*ck the rules are?

SOME PEOPLE FROM NXT 2.0 HAVE ARRIVED AND WILL BE WRESTLING NEXT WEEK- sore
Von Wagner ripped up an autograph that Saxon Huxley wrote for… either a fan, or a total mark wrestler in the locker room. I’m not sure which.

XIA BROOKSIDE & ELIZA ALEXANDER PROMO FROM EARLIER THIS WEEK- fine

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS MATCH FOR THE NXT UK TAG TEAM TITLES: Moustache Mountain(c) vs. Ashton Smith & Oliver Carter- 8.25/10
As you would expect with these two teams at this point, this built extremely well, both in terms of building up the action, but also in terms of the way it built up our emotions to really want Smith & Carter to win. Your rating might be lower if you weren’t as into this storyline as I have been, even if you weren’t it as still at least 8/10.
The finish was perfect, as it not only had Tyler see Trent cheating with his feet on the ropes- he looked disappointed, but did nothing to try to notify the referee- but it also had Carter bump into Smith to set up that roll-up, so in addition to the question of whether Moustache Mountain will either break up or go fully heel (they hugged after the match, but Tyler still looked extremely disappointed), we have now introduced the question of what effect this will have on Smith & Carter as well.

This was a good episode of NXT UK, giving us a big moment in the main event while setting up the next chapter for several things. Unfortunately, I’m getting a little worried about where some of those things (Kenny Williams vs. masked man, the women’s title) are going.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3