BRM Reviews the 7/14/2022 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/14/2022 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 31st, '22, 13:54

OLIVER CARTER vs. TEOMAN (w/Die Familie)- 6.75/10
Carter overcame all of the interference and got the clean win. Not what I was expecting.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Die Familie jumped Carter from behind and beat him down. That I was expecting. This felt very paint-by-numbers, but I’m willing to cut NXT UK some slack due to everything that had to be changed involving Carter due to Ashton Smith’s injury.

EARLIER THIS WEEK, TRENT SEVEN INTERRUPTS SAM GRADWELL’S INTERVIEW BY ASSAULTING HIM- good
What I liked about this the most was how quickly Seven got in and got out (while being chased by security/other wrestlers trying to break up the fight. If you’re not doing an injury angle, you don’t need that vicious a beat-down. All you need is for the point to get across (in this case that Seven is a cowardly scumbag).

SOMEONE FROM NXT IS ASKED HOW SHE IS ENJOYING NXT UK, AND IS INTERRUPTED BY ISLA DAWN- bad
Can we please get a graphic?
She talked about how much she was enjoying the food. Isla was weird.

DAVE MASTIFF CONGRATULATES JOSH MORRELL AFTER LAST WEEK’S MATCH, THEN BUILDS UP TO THEIR MATCH NEXT WEEK- fine

WOLFGANG PROMO- good build for what will clearly be him getting a title shot against Ilja

STEVIE TURNER vs. AMALE- 4/10
Blair Davenport joined the commentary team for this match. I can’t remember the last time they had someone join the commentary team. Amale won clean. Davenport gave her a slow clap on commentary.

AFTER LAST WEEK’S SHOW, SARRAY ASKS MEIKO SATOMURA FOR A TITLE MATCH- good
They did this in Japanese, with subtitles, which made it feel a lot more natural. Meiko didn’t say anything, but she smiled before walking off. Sarray walked off as well. Nina Samuels popped around the corner to ask Emilia McKenzie what they were talking about. Millie said it was none of Nina’s business, then she left, too.

MARK ANDREWS & WILD BOAR INTERVIEW- fine
They were asked about Briggs & Jensen winning the tag titles and taking them to NXT 2.0. They were total babyfaces while saying that they should bring the belts back and give them a title shot.

SID SCALA ANNOUCNES THE WOLFGANG IS GETTING A TITLE SHOT AGAINST ILJA DRAGUNOV- fine

They announced that Ilsa Dawn will wrestle Fallon Heley next week, so I guess she was the woman in the earlier interview. They also announced Trent Seven vs. Sam Gradwell.

NXT UK HERITAGE CUP TITLE MATCH WITH SHA SAMUELS BARRED FROM RINGSIDE: Noam Dar(c) vs. Mark Coffey- 8/10
The story here was that Samuels had bet a lot of money on Dar, and also that Dar would retire as champion if he won this match, so you knew the titles was changing hands, but they took you on a heck of a journey to get there, doing an excellent job of telling a story of increasing desperation.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT-didn’t like it
I could have done without Samuels coming out after the match and throwing money around and acting like a baby. I also hated the idea that so many wrestlers are openly gabling on the matches. They all clapped for Coffey, but then chased Samuels, demanding their money.
Then Joe Coffey back to congratulate Joe. I was certain he was going to attack Mark, but he didn’t, so that was nice.

This was a good episode of NXT UK, though mostly on the strength of the main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3