BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23963
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 9th, '19, 21:48

AEW TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: The Young Bucks vs. Private Party- 8/10
A spotty but exciting opener that did the important job of establishing Private Party as a real threat. After this win they feel like a threat to beat anyone on any night. And, with my booker’s hat on, this win actually gives them all they really need out of this tournament to come out feeling like a bigger deal than they were going in. If I’m booking this division, I’m not sure who I would have as my first champs, but either my second champs are the Bucks and my third champs are Private Party or my second champs are Private Party and my third champs are the Bucks, after a nice long story about Private Party being the one team the Bucks just can’t seem to be able to beat.

They kept the split-screen on for the commercial even though nothing was happening. That was weird.

CHRIS JERICHO AND HIS GROUP COME OUT FOR A PROMO- Jericho does his heel thing where he takes credit for everything that AEW is… and the fans all chanted “THANK YOU, JERICHO!” There goes any hope I had that the AEW crowd might prove to be more willing to go along with kayfabe than WWE or indy crowds. They just like having things to chant, and AEW has fed that with their goofy Being The Elite characters like the librarians and singing Marty Scurll and SCU, etc. Yes, I know most of those are outdated references, but my point is that the AEW fanbase has now been exposed as not caring about the development or journeys of those characters but rather as just liking to have things to cheer and chant.
Don’t believe me? Well when Jericho introduced Jake Hager, the fans all chanted “WE THE PEOPLE!” Then, when Jericho scolded them all, saying that “‘We the people!’ sucks and it’s dead and buried. It was a stupid idea from bad Creative, and all that’s gone!” the same fans who moments ago were chanting “WE THE PEOPLE!” at the top of their lungs all began cheering Jericho’s speech. They’re no different than those WWE crowds who would relentless boo Roman Reigns and get frustrated by the over-pushing of Baron Corbin… but then would shower Vince McMahon with cheers whenever he showed up.
Jericho tells us that Hager is the most vicious MMA fight in the world and is undefeated “and that’s a shoot.” So I guess everything else Jericho just told us was fake?
Jericho declared that he and his gang were going to take over AEW. This statement, clearly implying that they are going to take AEW away from the people these fans have so adored for working so hard to bring them this great company, was met with… mild approval.
Jericho finally managed to get booed when he actually spelled out for the fans that this meant that he would be taking control away from the Bucks and Cody and Omega… which really makes the crowd look like morons for not being able to put two and two together. Even worse, Jericho got a long serious of boos by saying he hated the Rhodes family and thought Dusty was a jerk and that he was going to kick Dustin’s ass tonight and Cody’s at Full Gear… and then, after kicking Cody’s ass he was going to celebrate with “a little bit of the bubbly,” they all cheered as loud as ever. They hate the idea of Jericho doing all of these things, but they’ll cheer the idea of him celebrating after doing all of these things they don’t want him to do because he said a dumb catchphrase.
Also, their group is named “the Inner Circle,” which reminds me how far behind I am on wXw. A great promo by Jericho and Hager’s stoicism was very good, but a total exposing of the AEW crowd as being exactly like the fans of the WWE that they claim to despise so much.

JIMMY HAVOC IN-SET PROMO- didn’t like it
“Everyone is going to feel my pain” felt WAY too Raven. He came across like a hardcore guy who stole Raven’s catchphrase.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Jimmy Havoc vs. Darby Allin- 4/10
Look! They’ve got records on the screen! And it turns out that neither of these men has more than one victory, both of them have only a .500 record in singles competition, and both of them have losing records overall. How the hell are these guys the top contenders (and especially when you’ve got PAC sitting at 2-0)?
So the first commercial during which nothing happened, got a split-screen, but the one in the middle of this match didn’t? That’s weird.
The match itself was a mess of attempts at different stories that didn’t mesh well at all. Darby won with a Coffin Drop that at least looked very impressive.

Can we please set up some sort of system where if Jim Ross mentions a college sport that isn’t wrestling, he gets an electrical shock?

EMI SAKURA & BEA PRIESTLEY vs. DR. BRITT BAKER, DMD, & RIHO- 6.75/10
I write Dr. Britt Baker, DMD’s name as “Dr. Britt Baker, DMD” as many times as possible because I think it’s funny to write it out every time. Unless the gimmick is what I have jokingly suggested for her in the past where she runs a racket by purposely knocking out her opponents’ teeth and then offers discounted rates to get the opponents to come to her to replace them, then Britt is in trouble because we’ve seen her several times now in AEW (and in ROH before that), as well as had her on commentary last week, and the entirety of her character seems to be “I’m a dentist.” And that’s not good, because just like Xavier Woods’ PhD and Wade Barrett’s degree in marine biology or whatever, THAT HAS NO RELEVANCE TO WRESTLING.
The match was good. Britt won with a Mandible Claw because she’s a dentist. That’s fine, I guess, but it doesn’t make me actually care about her. How about we get her and Bea Priestly cutting promos on each other so I can remember why they’re having a post-match shoving match. I remember Bea pulled Britt out of the ring in the battle royale, but don’t remember anything kayfabe starting their issues, so the feud seems to be based on the idea that Bea gave Britt a concussion during a match, where really isn’t a fair reason to get upset because kicking your opponent in the head has never been portrayed as in any way a dirty move.

DASHA F.K.A. FUENTES INTERVIEWS BEST FRIENDS- She asks them how they’re feeling about they’re tournament match next week. They part to reveal Orange Cassidy sitting behind them. He gives a thumbs up. People cheer because… I don’t understand why.
Suddenly the lights go out! And when they come back on… Shawn Spears is just sitting in a chair on the stage. Then the ring announcer begins to introduce him for his match. This bothered me, simply because there was no reason that this needed to happen this way. Just let them finish their interview, then have Spears walk down to the ring for his match! It’s that simple. Instead they had someone develop magical powers for no reason and had an interview be interrupted, only for the promotion as a whole to just move on and not give a sh*t what else Best Friends had to say, in which case why did you interview them in the first place?

JON MOXLEY vs. SHAWN SPEARS (w/Tully Blanchard)- 5.75/10
PAC dropped by the commentary table and actually pointed out the same thing that I did earlier, so good for AEW for at least acknowledging this. Now we just need them to have a good reason for why they passed PAC over for this opportunity.
Tully interfered right in front of the referee, which didn’t lead to a DQ or even to him being ejected from ringside. This is frustrating, but it’s even more frustrating when later in the match when they actually want to have Tully’s interference matter (as opposed to Moxley quickly recovering and regaining control), they make sure the referee is distracted for it. They spent the vast majority of the first part of the match on the outside, but of course the only time they were counted out was when they wanted to tease Moxley losing by count-out. Either be no DQs or don’t. Either have count-outs or don’t. Enforcing your rules based on the needs of the match kills emersion.
At one point Spears did his “TEN!” taunt, just to remind everyone of what a jobber he was in the other company. Moxley won clean soon afterwards, reinforcing the point.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- decent
Kenny Omega came out with a baseball bat a broom, both wrapped in barbed wire (and yes, it’s a broom, not a mop, because the bristles of a mop wouldn’t be that sturdy). He threw the bat to Moxley and they had a stare-down that was brought to an end when Pac ran down and hit Omega in the back of the head with a chair. Moxley stood over Omega for a few moments, then walked off.

ADAM PAGE & DUSTIN RHODES vs. THE INNER CIRCLE (Sammy Guevara & Chris Jericho) (w/Jake Hager)- 5/10
Why is Adam Page, who was not involved in the big brawl at the end of last week’s show, teaming with Dustin here when Cody is a much more natural (no pun intended) choice on several levels? Cody is not only Dustin’s brother but he was also the guy Dustin came out to save during that brawl, and is also the person being positioned as Jericho’s first challenger.
Also, why is Page the “hangman” and not the “cowboy?” He dresses like a cowboy, his music is straight out of a Western, and his TonyTron is all horses. If he’s the “hangman” then shouldn’t he be wearing a black hood like an executioner?
They did stuff, including many dives. They did this big spot where I’m supposed to be outraged that Jake Hager ran in and attacked Dustin behind the referee’s back, but considering that Dustin was about to cheat by kicking Jericho in the nuts, I really can’t get too upset. Hager was committing a wrong, yes, but he was merely doing so to prevent the wrong that Dustin was about to commit. Also, I love how Jericho was magically able to free himself from the corner right after the guy who was about to kick him in the nuts was taken out. It made the whole thing look fake. Jericho then hit Dustin with the Judas Effect for the pin.
This was a dull match where Adam Page felt like a non-factor, and our top heel stable needed to cheat to beat a man so old that Ross and Schiavone kept commenting on what a great tag team run he had with BARRY WINDHAM as his partner.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- very bad
The heels attack Dustin after the match. Page tries to make the save and winds up brawling away with Hager on the floor, leaving Dustin to get beaten up two on one again. The lights went out a second time, because apparently Cody has developed magical powers since last week’s show. He grabbed Guevara from behind and hit the Cross Rhodes while Jericho stood there like an idiot, seemingly purposely facing the other direction, even the fans were loudly chanting Cody’s name and then started cheering loudly when the lights came back on.
Jericho finally turned around in time to have a stare-down with Cody. Then LAX ran out from backstage (like normal humans with no magical powers) and attacked Cody from behind. Dustin tried to intervene but got beaten up as well. Meanwhile, the Young Bucks are… umm…
MJF came down with a chair so that we could get the big, long, tease of him turning on Cody only for him not to do so. The problem with this is that there was no real reason for Jericho’s crew to think that MJF would turn on Cody at this point, so them holding him up for MJF and thinking MJF would turn on Cody (especially when MJF already proved his loyalty at All Out) makes no sense. (I’m not saying it doesn’t make sense for MJF to ever turn on Cody. I’m just saying that at this point it makes no sense for him to do so unless there is some obvious benefit to him for doing so). This was something that was done because wrestling fans would expect a turn rather than because it makes any logical sense for the characters.
MJF posed a bunch until he got laid out with a Codebreaker like an idiot. Only now did the Young Bucks finally come out to make the save. They beat up LAX while Jericho stood tall on the ramp. The babyfaces all got into the ring to stand together (minus MJF… who really isn’t a babyface, anyway). They all just stood there and watched while Jericho attacked referee Bryce Remsburg. Jericho then turned to leave, only to be intercepted by Darby Allin. Darby eventually let up on Jericho and all the babyfaces stood in the ring together while Jericho cut a promo to build up to next week’s title match.
This segment was everything I worried that AEW would be. This is Cody bullsh*t run amok. This segment was booked with the objective of stringing pops together, regardless of whether or not the order of events had any logical flaws in it (of which there were many). This was the post-match segment equivalent of a spotfest, and it has dampened much of my cautious optimism from the first week’s show. The opener was an awesome match and some of the little things here and there were good, but this felt like watching 2017-2018 ROH, where any amount of thought beyond the momentary glance of someone barely paying attention exposes how little sense it actually makes.
I’m also sick of these post-match attacks. At this point AEW, creatively, feels like a two-trick pony. They’ve either got the post-match attack, or they’ve got the spotfest, and that’s it. DIAL IT BACK. Maybe give us some actual promos, or video packages like the one we got for the opener. Make me care about Darby Allin or Adam Page or SCU or the Lucha Bros. or Best Friends or anyone in the women’s division not named Riho.


STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Jim Ross tried to tell me that in his draw with Cody Rhodes, Darby Allin was “ahead on points.”
No, Jim, he wasn’t. And do you want to know how I know? Because this is professional wrestling, which means that THERE ARE NO F*CKING POINTS!

2. Jim Ross called Orange Cassidy a “California guy.”
He’s actually from New Jersey and was an east coast indy scene guy. In fact, he had never wrestled in California before this year. Our “lead announcer” should not be screwing up like this.


Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Serujuunin
Posts: 2346
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 19:56
Favorite Wrestler: Jeff Hardy
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 9th, '19, 23:16

So, not knowing anything about anyone going into this, are the Bucks supposed to be cocky, flashy, showboat-y types? Because that was the impression I got from them here.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23963
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 9th, '19, 23:26

Serujuunin wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 23:16
So, not knowing anything about anyone going into this, are the Bucks supposed to be cocky, flashy, showboat-y types? Because that was the impression I got from them here.
Yes.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Serujuunin
Posts: 2346
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 19:56
Favorite Wrestler: Jeff Hardy
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 10th, '19, 14:34

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 23:26
Serujuunin wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 23:16
So, not knowing anything about anyone going into this, are the Bucks supposed to be cocky, flashy, showboat-y types? Because that was the impression I got from them here.
Yes.
So I don’t feel so bad about being rubbed the wrong way here then lol. They’re fun, but even for me, I think they’re too spotty. And that’s something.

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5724
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 10th, '19, 14:42

Serujuunin wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 23:16
So, not knowing anything about anyone going into this, are the Bucks supposed to be cocky, flashy, showboat-y types? Because that was the impression I got from them here.
That's all they do is too much over the top bullshit. If you saw TNA years ago, they were there for a bit as Generation Me I think.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Serujuunin
Posts: 2346
Joined: Dec 17th, '10, 19:56
Favorite Wrestler: Jeff Hardy
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 10th, '19, 15:25

KILLdozer wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 14:42
Serujuunin wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 23:16
So, not knowing anything about anyone going into this, are the Bucks supposed to be cocky, flashy, showboat-y types? Because that was the impression I got from them here.
That's all they do is too much over the top bullshit. If you saw TNA years ago, they were there for a bit as Generation Me I think.
I may have caught them briefly, but the only tag team that really stands out in my head from TNA is MCMG.

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 1148
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52
Favorite Wrestler: Great Sasuke

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 10th, '19, 15:27

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 21:48

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Jim Ross tried to tell me that in his draw with Cody Rhodes, Darby Allin was “ahead on points.”
No, Jim, he wasn’t. And do you want to know how I know? Because this is professional wrestling, which means that THERE ARE NO F*CKING POINTS!

That's been a Jim Ross-ism for gosh darned ever. It just simply means that Darby Allin had the better performance/ was closer to winning. This is the nittiest of picks.
Up next on NWK Reviews
Jushin Liger TV Special
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom V
WWE Survivor Series 2014
WWF St.Valentine's Day Masssacre

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5724
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 10th, '19, 15:54

NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 15:27
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 21:48

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Jim Ross tried to tell me that in his draw with Cody Rhodes, Darby Allin was “ahead on points.”
No, Jim, he wasn’t. And do you want to know how I know? Because this is professional wrestling, which means that THERE ARE NO F*CKING POINTS!

That's been a Jim Ross-ism for gosh darned ever. It just simply means that Darby Allin had the better performance/ was closer to winning. This is the nittiest of picks.
Exactly. It's a cliche catchphrase. Brm, shut up fat boy.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23963
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '19, 16:34

KILLdozer wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 14:42
Serujuunin wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 23:16
So, not knowing anything about anyone going into this, are the Bucks supposed to be cocky, flashy, showboat-y types? Because that was the impression I got from them here.
That's all they do is too much over the top bullshit. If you saw TNA years ago, they were there for a bit as Generation Me I think.
It's turned up to about 50 now, though, whereas then they were just turning it up to 10.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23963
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '19, 16:35

KILLdozer wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 15:54
NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 15:27
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 21:48

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Jim Ross tried to tell me that in his draw with Cody Rhodes, Darby Allin was “ahead on points.”
No, Jim, he wasn’t. And do you want to know how I know? Because this is professional wrestling, which means that THERE ARE NO F*CKING POINTS!

That's been a Jim Ross-ism for gosh darned ever. It just simply means that Darby Allin had the better performance/ was closer to winning. This is the nittiest of picks.
Exactly. It's a cliche catchphrase. Brm, shut up fat boy.
1. It's a moronic one so he shouldn't say it.
2. It's not true, as the story of the match ad I remember it was Cody Surviving Darby, not the other way around.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18971
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by cero2k » Oct 10th, '19, 17:13

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 21:48


#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Jimmy Havoc vs. Darby Allin- 4/10
Look! They’ve got records on the screen! And it turns out that neither of these men has more than one victory, both of them have only a .500 record in singles competition, and both of them have losing records overall. How the hell are these guys the top contenders (and especially when you’ve got PAC sitting at 2-0)?
So the first commercial during which nothing happened, got a split-screen, but the one in the middle of this match didn’t? That’s weird.
The match itself was a mess of attempts at different stories that didn’t mesh well at all. Darby won with a Coffin Drop that at least looked very impressive.
there was something said about them having a weak record, but that Cody not being able to defeat Allin and Havoc getting wins in multi-man matches opened the doors to them to get a chance, so pretty much that it's not just numbers on paper, but the significance of each number. So if Havoc beats Sonny Kiss and Allin beats Jon Moxley, Allin should get more props.

and while your point about PAC is perfect, that's what his whole argument is to build wherever he's going

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23963
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '19, 17:30

cero2k wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 17:13
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 21:48


#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Jimmy Havoc vs. Darby Allin- 4/10
Look! They’ve got records on the screen! And it turns out that neither of these men has more than one victory, both of them have only a .500 record in singles competition, and both of them have losing records overall. How the hell are these guys the top contenders (and especially when you’ve got PAC sitting at 2-0)?
So the first commercial during which nothing happened, got a split-screen, but the one in the middle of this match didn’t? That’s weird.
The match itself was a mess of attempts at different stories that didn’t mesh well at all. Darby won with a Coffin Drop that at least looked very impressive.
there was something said about them having a weak record, but that Cody not being able to defeat Allin and Havoc getting wins in multi-man matches opened the doors to them to get a chance, so pretty much that it's not just numbers on paper, but the significance of each number. So if Havoc beats Sonny Kiss and Allin beats Jon Moxley, Allin should get more props.
If this is true, then they announcers should have brought it up. But even so, these two (especially Havoc) feel so arbitrary when you look at the number of people running around with similar records (especially MJF and Moxley).
cero2k wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 17:13
and while your point about PAC is perfect, that's what his whole argument is to build wherever he's going
Yes, but then we eventually need to get a storyline reason for why management isn't giving him this chance. The obvious reason is that he cheated to beat Page, but even if we count that as a loss he still beat Kenny freakin' Omega clean, which is more impressive than either Havoc or Darby's wins. And if the reason they're not giving him this chance is that he cheated to beat Page, then the announcers should have at least brought up that he cheated, which they never did. And if the reason just turns out to be personal bias, then it makes the big babyfaces into total heels.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18971
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by cero2k » Oct 10th, '19, 17:59

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 17:30

If this is true, then they announcers should have brought it up. But even so, these two (especially Havoc) feel so arbitrary when you look at the number of people running around with similar records (especially MJF and Moxley).


Yes, but then we eventually need to get a storyline reason for why management isn't giving him this chance. The obvious reason is that he cheated to beat Page, but even if we count that as a loss he still beat Kenny freakin' Omega clean, which is more impressive than either Havoc or Darby's wins. And if the reason they're not giving him this chance is that he cheated to beat Page, then the announcers should have at least brought up that he cheated, which they never did. And if the reason just turns out to be personal bias, then it makes the big babyfaces into total heels.
the announcers did bring up Allin's accolades so far to build him up. Moxley is involved in a blood feud, MJF i'm sure is getting his shot soon, he's completely involved in the inner circle vs Cody and co feud. If fans are expecting to take the numbers literal, they're gonna have a bad time, not even in the UFC does the number 2 rank get the automatic title shots all the time.

And i'm sure that by the time PAC gets his shot, it'll be referenced. We'll cross that bridge when he get there.

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5724
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54
Favorite Wrestler: Idk
Location: Ocean Springs,MS.

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 10th, '19, 18:48

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 16:34
KILLdozer wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 14:42
Serujuunin wrote:
Oct 9th, '19, 23:16
So, not knowing anything about anyone going into this, are the Bucks supposed to be cocky, flashy, showboat-y types? Because that was the impression I got from them here.
That's all they do is too much over the top bullshit. If you saw TNA years ago, they were there for a bit as Generation Me I think.
It's turned up to about 50 now, though, whereas then they were just turning it up to 10.
Yeah that's partly why I have no desire to watch this shit
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 23963
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12
Favorite Wrestler: Kane

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '19, 19:07

cero2k wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 17:59
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 17:30

If this is true, then they announcers should have brought it up. But even so, these two (especially Havoc) feel so arbitrary when you look at the number of people running around with similar records (especially MJF and Moxley).


Yes, but then we eventually need to get a storyline reason for why management isn't giving him this chance. The obvious reason is that he cheated to beat Page, but even if we count that as a loss he still beat Kenny freakin' Omega clean, which is more impressive than either Havoc or Darby's wins. And if the reason they're not giving him this chance is that he cheated to beat Page, then the announcers should have at least brought up that he cheated, which they never did. And if the reason just turns out to be personal bias, then it makes the big babyfaces into total heels.
the announcers did bring up Allin's accolades so far to build him up. Moxley is involved in a blood feud, MJF i'm sure is getting his shot soon, he's completely involved in the inner circle vs Cody and co feud. If fans are expecting to take the numbers literal, they're gonna have a bad time, not even in the UFC does the number 2 rank get the automatic title shots all the time.
So what if Moxley is involved in a blood feud? Why should that mean he can't get a title shot. And MJF wasn't involved in this Inner Circle feud until after this match was booked.

UFC's rankings are like NCAA rankings. They're the subjective opinions of media members, not the hard facts of someone's Win-Loss record. The team that wins its division in the MLB is always the team in that division with the most wins.

While I understand what you are trying to say about not taking records literally, I think you have to hit a certain point before that begins to apply. That happens when a guy who is 12-14 is getting a title shot while a guy who is 16-15 isn't because the 16-15 guy has been alternating win, loss, win, loss, win loss, while the 12-14 guy used to be 2-11 but has gone 10-3 in his last thirteen matches. To do that when all you're dealing with is 1s and 2s kills the importance of wins and losses by making things completely subjective right away.

cero2k wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 17:59
And i'm sure that by the time PAC gets his shot, it'll be referenced. We'll cross that bridge when he get there.
Fair enough
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
WWE in 2005
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
ECW Guilty As Charged 1999

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 18971
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32
Favorite Wrestler: Eddie Guerrero
Location: El Paso, TX
Contact:

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 Dynamite (very disappointing)

Post by cero2k » Oct 11th, '19, 09:10

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 10th, '19, 19:07

So what if Moxley is involved in a blood feud? Why should that mean he can't get a title shot. And MJF wasn't involved in this Inner Circle feud until after this match was booked.

UFC's rankings are like NCAA rankings. They're the subjective opinions of media members, not the hard facts of someone's Win-Loss record. The team that wins its division in the MLB is always the team in that division with the most wins.

While I understand what you are trying to say about not taking records literally, I think you have to hit a certain point before that begins to apply. That happens when a guy who is 12-14 is getting a title shot while a guy who is 16-15 isn't because the 16-15 guy has been alternating win, loss, win, loss, win loss, while the 12-14 guy used to be 2-11 but has gone 10-3 in his last thirteen matches. To do that when all you're dealing with is 1s and 2s kills the importance of wins and losses by making things completely subjective right away.
it's not a matter of can or can't, but won't. That's how wrestling has been for the most part forever. Wrestlers get into feuds that take all their focus from them. Once they're done the decide to get back into chasing the championship.

MJF has had Cody's back even before Dynamite started. As soon as Cody gets involved, you know that comes with Goldust/Brandi/MJF along.

I disagree, I think it's something that you do now too, especially since the promotion started with 4 PPVs and you have guys like Michael Nakazawa with victories, even if they were in a comedy match against a non-wrestler, because you need to fill a card. With weekly shows, you can really start ranking up points to properly differentiate wrestlers, but early on, we can't be so literal about numbers. It's not like someone with a 0-3 record is getting a chance.

Check out last night's Bryan and Vinny show for this week, Bryan explains what i'm saying better than I can.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest