BRM Reviews the 3/11/2020 Dynamite

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/11/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '20, 21:44

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS ADAM PAGE & THE YOUNG BUCKS EARLIER TODAY- very good
Page needs a partner for the main event. Everyone thinks that he brought the Bucks here to ask one of them to team with him, and Page leads us in that direction, then swerves a way from it, being a total dick in the process. This not only let Page be a dick, but it also established to us that Omega isn’t able to wrestle due to injury but Nick is now cleared (although still banged up) and that Page has a mystery partner lined up who we should stay tuned to find out who it is.

ORTIZ (w/Santana) vs. CODY RHODES (w/Brandi Rhodes & Arn Anderson)- 6.5/10
Jake Rhodes and Arn Anderson showed up in the crowd. This was a shockingly anticlimactic way to reveal Jake’s client. They came through the crowd and sat in the front row instead of being at ringside so I guess we’re once again on the “people not booked need tickets” plan. They distracted Cody, allowing Ortiz to get the advantage… but Cody got it back rather quickly, then had to get cut off a second time by Santana to start the heat for real.
The distractions (and involvement by people on the outside in general) were one story of this match, and each guy working on the other’s legs was another. At one point Archer looked like he was going to jump the guardrail, but Jake held him back and they left. They told their story well, and Cody won with a figure-four. The idea here was to set up a submission finisher for their version of War Games, which Ross hit us over the head a little too hard with. Part of the reason it came off as a little too hard is that we still don’t know the rules for Blood & Guts, and thus we have been given no reason to think that the Cross Rhodes won’t be sufficient to get a victory.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Santana attacked Cody while he was posing. Arn ran in to defend Cody, and then Matt Jackson and Kenny Omega also ran out. Segments like this make me question Arn’s purpose here. He doesn’t really ever seem to do anything for Cody in terms of the actual overall story, and he’s just another person on the outside that they seem to feel the need to find spots for. His presence here also made this segment less dramatic than if Matt and Kenny had had to rush down to the ring to make the save, and that way we also wouldn’t have had to have an armed heel back down from an old man.
Jericho appeared on the KhanTron and cut a good heel promo on the Elite, including revealing that they just beat up Nick Jackson and appear to have smashed his nose in by dropping one of this big metal loading bay doors onto it. OUCH!
When we came back from the commercial break, Nick was being loaded into an ambulance and taken to the hospital, and we were shown Matt and Cody following in a car, establishing they are no longer in the building.

KRIS STATLANDER & HIKARU SHIDA vs. NYLA ROSE & BEA PRIESTLEY- 6.75/10
Solid stuff, and a strong but clean win for the heels.
POST-MATCH SEGMENT- interesting
Bea assaulted Nyla Rose after the match and posed with the belt. The match should be good and the execution of the angle was okay, but if this is intended as a babyface turn for Nyla, she’s going to need to do a lot more to feel like a real babyface because of all of the heel things she’s done.

CHRISTOPHER DANIELS DARK ORDER PARODY VIDEO- excellent!
Also, he’s challenging both Uno and Grayson to singles matches.

JURASSIC EXPRESS vs. MJF, THE BUTCHER, & THE BLADE (w/The Bunny)-7/10
Great action. MJF picked up another win, but they also made sure that Luchasaurus got to shine. I do not like this remix of MJF’s music that they’re using now.

DARBY ALLIN VIDEO- Yeah… he’s going to murder Sammy one day.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS DR. BRITT BAKER- fine
Why does AEW keep booking this. In kayfabe, I mean. What does it do for AEW to book a segment where they know that Britt is just going to insult Tony and the crowd? This promo… probably could have been considered anti-Mormon racism (or whatever the term for discrimination against a particular religion is).
Big Swole eventually came out and interrupted Dr. Baker. I was into this until they started trading barbs about the status of their respective relationships with their WWE-based significant others. Maybe we can have the women feud without mentioning men? Or without mentioning people in the other company?
And why is Swole even out here? I was fine with it when she was being a generic babyface, but where the hell is Yuka Sakazaki? Are we just supposed to forget that that angle with the teeth ever happened?

JOEY JANELA & PRIVATE PARTY vs. DEATH TRIANGLE (Pac & the Lucha Bros.)- 6.5/10
AEW’s streak of being the kayfabe worst booked promotion in wrestling history continues, as instead of booking the Death Triangle against the three guys they assaulted on two different occasions last week, they have been booked against this completely random trio.
They did their action spots. The heels won, then attacked some more after the match to give the babyfaces these guys are actually feuding with an excuse to come out and interact with the Death Triangle by chasing them off. Well… two of them ran out to make the save. Orange Cassidy just walked out onto the ramp, too late to make the save. Why did he even bother getting up from backstage to walk out here?

LEXI INTERVIEWS DUSTIN RHODES- good
Dustin is sick of the Inner Circle crap, so he has decided that he will be Adam Page’s partner tonight, whether Page likes it or not.

A BUNCH OF GEEKS FROM TWITTER WANT TO BE SHAWN SPEARS’ TAG TEAM PARTNER- bad

For next week we are getting a six-man tag to determine who gets the man advantage in Blood & Guts, as well as the first appearance of the Exalted One.

THE RULES FOR BLOOD & GUTS ARE…
- 2 men enter the cage for one five-minute round.
- Then another wrestler will enter every five minutes.
- The match officially begins when all ten men have entered the cage.
-The way to win is to make any opponent submit or surrender (which are actually the same thing).

So it’s just f*cking War Games then. And that’s fine… but if it’s just going to be War Games then why did they build it up as if it was going to be different? The hook for this last week was Jim Ross telling us “you think you know the rules, but you don’t.” Well I’m pretty sure that these rules are exactly what 99.9% of people watching the show assumed they would be.

JR INTERIVEWS JON MOXLEY EARLIER TODAY- excellent!
Moxley isn’t cleared tonight due to injury, but he’s coming for the Inner Circle. The big match we’re building up to at the moment will be Moxley vs. Hager.

THE INNER CIRCLE (Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevara) (w/the Inner Circle) vs. ADAM PAGE & DUSTIN RHODES- 7.5/10
Page and Dustin working together well could go in some interesting directions.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- FANTASTIC!
The Inner Circle jumped Page and Dustin. Kenny Omega came out to make the save despite his broken hand, but he got beaten up. Cody got back from the hospital just in time to run wild on the heels but he got cut off by Hager. The Inner Circle went to give Page the big powerbomb off the ramp but Matt Jackson made the save and ran wild. Then stared Page down and flipped him off… and that distraction gave Jericho the time he needed to get a chair and hit first Matt and then Page with it. Then the heels all posed together.
I thought this was a beautifully put together segment (we’ll say that Matt had to go park the car, which is why he came out after Cody), giving everyone the time to shine, everything that needed focus time to be focused on, and drew attention to have the issues between Page and the Bucks could lead to the Elite’s downfall in Blood & Guts. I don’t know if I’d rather see Page on the Elite’s team in Blood & Guts or have him insist on feuding with the Inner Circle separately from the Bucks. At the moment I’m actually hoping that they keep Nick Jackson out with this injury because Dustin really does deserve a spot in that match.

A very good show from AEW. Almost nothing was bad, the logic was pretty tight, and the final half hour of the show was excellent.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/11/2020 Dynamite

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 12th, '20, 11:16

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 21:44 RTIZ (w/Santana) vs. CODY RHODES (w/Brandi Rhodes & Arn Anderson)- 6.5/10
Jake Roberts and Lance Archer showed up in the crowd. This was a shockingly anticlimactic way to reveal Jake’s client.
I disagree. I feel like Jake Roberts wouldn't be the kind of guy to say "Ladies and gentleman please welcome my client Lance Archer." I feel like flipping from the grandiosity of making a big entrance last week to looming in the crowd like a predator the next is exactly the kind of mind games Jake 'The Snake' Roberts would get off on.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 12th, '20, 13:01

NWK2000 wrote: Mar 12th, '20, 11:16
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 11th, '20, 21:44 RTIZ (w/Santana) vs. CODY RHODES (w/Brandi Rhodes & Arn Anderson)- 6.5/10
Jake Roberts and Lance Archer showed up in the crowd. This was a shockingly anticlimactic way to reveal Jake’s client.
I disagree. I feel like Jake Roberts wouldn't be the kind of guy to say "Ladies and gentleman please welcome my client Lance Archer." I feel like flipping from the grandiosity of making a big entrance last week to looming in the crowd like a predator the next is exactly the kind of mind games Jake 'The Snake' Roberts would get off on.
I'd think Jake would be the type to not tip is hand and reveal who his client is before being ready to strike.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 12th, '20, 13:08

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 12th, '20, 13:01
NWK2000 wrote: Mar 12th, '20, 11:16
I'd think Jake would be the type to not tip is hand and reveal who his client is before being ready to strike.
We're talking about the same guy who put a cobra in a wedding reception present for someone he wanted to mess with, and then waited for the opportunity to attack him with said cobra and slapped the guy's wife. Jake Roberts is a blend of theatrics and waiting to strike.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '20, 08:41

I also kinda feel that it was lackluster, I take it they didn't want to wait to debut Archer, but maybe targeting Cody while he's building a B&Gs match wasn't the best idea, because now they can't go full contact until afterwards.

I'm guessing they had/have Brody Lee and Matt Hardy in line to debut and they just couldn't wait much longer to get Archer out of the way, or do two debuts on the same show.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 13th, '20, 10:42

cero2k wrote: Mar 13th, '20, 08:41 I also kinda feel that it was lackluster, I take it they didn't want to wait to debut Archer, but maybe targeting Cody while he's building a B&Gs match wasn't the best idea, because now they can't go full contact until afterwards.

My fear is that they'll have him do a Kane and interfere in Blood & Guts.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '20, 12:14

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 13th, '20, 10:42 My fear is that they'll have him do a Kane and interfere in Blood & Guts.
Maybe, there are many people that could end up running in on that match.

also assuming the match takes place at this point.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 13th, '20, 13:24

cero2k wrote: Mar 13th, '20, 12:14
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 13th, '20, 10:42 My fear is that they'll have him do a Kane and interfere in Blood & Guts.
Maybe, there are many people that could end up running in on that match.

And the problem, of course, is that is that NOBODY should be running in on that match. That's half the reason the cage is there!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '20, 13:26

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 13th, '20, 13:24
And the problem, of course, is that is that NOBODY should be running in on that match. That's half the reason the cage is there!
i do trust that it will be that way, i'm sure people will be outside messing around, but not straight up getting inside the ring and costing someone the match.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 13th, '20, 13:33

cero2k wrote: Mar 13th, '20, 13:26
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 13th, '20, 13:24
i do trust that it will be that way, i'm sure people will be outside messing around, but not straight up getting inside the ring and costing someone the match.
I don't think they'll have someone interfere, either, but I'd put the odds of them doing it at around 10%, rather than the 99.99999999% I'd like it to be.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation