BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25036
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 21st, '20, 22:58

AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Wardlow vs. Jungle Boy (w/Jurassic Express)- 7/10
Wardlow is apparently on an eight-match singles winning streak. To my recollection, only one of those has happened on Dynamite, it was back in May, and he didn’t even win cleanly. If you want this guy to look impressive, can you maybe give him some wins against name talent on your top show (which also happens to be the only show of yours that the majority of your audience watches)?
EDIT: I went back and checked. That dirty win over Luchasaurus is Wardlow’s ONLY win against a non-jobber. Why is he in this tournament?

They had a great power vs. speed match and Wardlow finally beat someone cleanly… but holy sh*t is this the wrong call. Jungle Boy is exactly the sort of wrestler who has to be seen making progress, or the fans lose faith in him. If you tell us someone has all of the talent and potential in the world, you need to start showing us that talent and potential get him somewhere. Wardlow is fine at what he does, but he’s not going to be someone who moves tickets, no matter what Jim Ross tells us (more on that in a minute). Jungle Boy does have the potential to be a difference maker based off of his talent and physical charisma alone. When you throw in the fact that he’s the child of a famous actor, and you have someone who has the potential to get attention outside of the wrestling bubble. You need to show us that he is making progress and that you’re not just full of hot air when you put him over!

Twice during this match, Ross put Wardlow over by telling us “athletic big-men sell tickets.”
1. This is a kayfabe wrestling show. We as fans don’t give a sh*t who sells the tickets. We care about who wins the matches and who behaves in an honorable and moral fashion.
2. Maybe athletic big-men do sell tickets, but this is AEW. The largest guy who feels like a real ticket mover is Moxley, who, while large by normal human standards, isn’t really what we’d consider a “big-man” in wrestling, either by his height or his weight. This is a company where most of the people who move tickets (Cody, Jericho, Omega, Young Bucks, Lucha Bros.) are small enough that they would never have been considered for top star status before the last twenty-five years outside of Mexico, and most of them wouldn’t have been considered for such a spot before the past ten in most promotions (TNA being the only real exception in terms of notable promotions. I’m using “solid TV deal” as a stand-in for “non-indy” here, so ROH wouldn’t have qualified yet).

FOOTAGE FROM AFTER AEW WENT OFF THE AIR- didn’t like it
Kingston ranted and raved about how Ambrose was a “sell-out” for going to WWE and failing to get his indy friends jobs there, too, so that “the inmates would run the asylum,” and about how dedicated Eddie is to pro wrestling. This all makes Kingston seem more sympathetic, which is the opposite of what you want to do with your heel.
He also vowed to make Moxley quit. Because of this, we were told that Moxley went to Tony Khan to demand that he be allowed to defend his title against Eddie Kingston at Full Gear in an I Quit match. I’m not a fan of I Quit matches in general, and I think announcing a world title match using the same gimmick that the other company has already announced for their next PPV isn’t the best look.

AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Kenny Omega vs. Sonny Kiss- no rating, good squash
If Wardlow’s presence in this tournament is questionable at best (and it is), then Sonny Kiss’ is utterly ridiculous. His singles record in AEW is 2-7 (2-8 if losing a three-way on the second episode of Dark counts). He beat Serpentico on Dark about six weeks ago. To find his most recent singles win before that, you have to go all the way back to the pre-show of Fight for the Fallen 2019, when he beat Peter Avalon. Not only can Sonny Kiss not beat anyone who is above jobber level, but he has even lost to bottom of the barrel undercard geeks like Luther. And his tag team matches with Joey Janela don’t really help him very much, as even their duo has generally failed to beat anyone who isn’t a jobber.
And, no, the fact that he is subbing for Janela doesn’t help things because 1) Janela’s record isn’t much better. He’s 6-10 overall in AEW, and hasn’t been anyone above a jobber since February, and 2) there must be SOMEONE out there with a better record. MJF, for example. Or Lance Archer. Or Brodie Lee. Or Dustin Rhodes.
Or how about Shawn Spears? He’s on a ten-match winning streak if you ignore battle royales, which AEW does. That makes him more deserving than Wardlow, never mind Rose or Janela. Do you know what Spears’ singles record is this year? 14-2! And his overall singles record in AEW is 18-5. Why isn’t Shawn Spears in this tournament? Don’t tell me Spears’ can’t take a clean loss to Kenny Omega right now or it will screw up whatever he’s doing with Scorpio Sky.
Someone has decided to add comedy into Justin Roberts’ introduction for Omega. Also, he’s got dancing hot chicks with brooms, too. Remember when everyone was so happy that AEW was going to be the woke promotion?
Kenny obliterated Sonny with a V-Trigger and a One-Winged Angel. This was a good way to reframe Kenny as being more focused and works fine with their whole idea of reframing Kenny, but if that’s your goal, why are you adding comedy lines to his ring intro?

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS ORANGE CASSIDY- bad
He said nothing of use, and came off like a goof not knowing where next week’s show was. It might be one thing if they were travelling around the country, but they’re not. He has wrestled in this same building on pretty much every show for the past seven months, so how the f*ck could he possibly not know where next week’s show is? And don’t tell me “he just doesn’t care,” because in this case, he’d have to be ignorant of a worldwide pandemic to not have figured this all out by now!

DASHA INTERVIEWS CODY AS HE ARRIVES AT THE BUILDING- mixed feelings
Of course Cody has to make sure he’s seen showing up in a limousine. And it’s not like this is the first fancy vehicle he’s shown up in, either. Remember that pick-up truck with his neck-tattoo logo on it? Having ONE cool or fancy car can be a babyface trait. Coming across as someone who just wants to be seen acting like a star does not.
Cody says that he’s surprised how quickly AEW booked a rematch. Same here. Usually they take forever to getting around to booking kayfabe obvious matches. His comments about the champions’ advantage here came off as the sort of thing someone would say as the start of a subtle heel turn. If that’s the direction AEW is going in then this is good. Otherwise, it’s bad.
Dasha also asked Cody about having put on fourteen pounds of muscle (again, coming off as someone who has to broadcast his accomplishments to the whole world. Not a babyface trait). He said that with his “recent” (I guess six months ago counts as “recent” to Cody) matches against Lance Archer, Brodie Lee, and Jake Hager, he felt he needed to put the weight on and become a true heavyweight. The problem with this is that- as Cody himself noted- he BEAT all of those guys (and I’ll throw Wardlow in there, too), so why does need to put on the weight?

EDDIE KINGSTON PROMO- GREAT!

AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Penta el 0M vs. Rey Fenix- 7.75/10
Holy f*ck! They only did ONE Canadian Destroyer! And it was the finish, too! This was an excellent match with a good story about them being brothers that the commentators (including Eddie Kingston) helped tell. Penta seemed to think that Fenix took advantage of him and wasn’t happy afterwards.

BEST FRIENDS/KIP SABIAN & MIRO VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMOS- good

ALEX MARVEZ INTERVIEWS THE BEAVER BOYS & COLT CABANA- bad
John Silver is a complete and total clown now. And why is Cabana still in the Dark Order. Hasn’t he seen what terrible people they are?

AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Adam Page vs. Colt Cabana (w/Evil Uno)- 7.75/10
You can add Cabana to the list of people whose presence in this tournament is questionable at best. The biggest name he’s beaten in a singles match in AEW is Q.T. Marshall.
Colt and Page did an excellent job of overcoming the fact that the outcome of this match felt very obvious going in.
Cabana lost cleanly, and the Dark Order helped him up afterwards. Excalibur pointed out that this was unusual for them.

TAZ & COMPANY PROMO- TREMENDOUS!
Just about the only thing I didn’t like here was Starks vowing to put Darby “in the grave.” Taz is SOOOOOO f*cking good.

MJF & CHRIS JERICHO GO TO DINNER- ATROCIOUS!
I wish I had a millionaire friend who would let me waste his/her money. Because that’s what this was. They did a f*cking dance number. They even had back-up dancers.

KILYNN KING vs. DR. BRITT BAKER, DMD (w/Rebel)- no rating, bad segment
This was a squash that went on for way too long. Also, Britt should not be allowed to put a glove on before doing her finisher.

Next week’s TNT Title match has been made a lumberjack match to stop the Dark Order from interfering. Remember the last time they made something a lumberjack match, and how that resulted in there being a lot of interference? Because they apparently don’t. How about if you want to prevent interference, you book a f*cking cage match?

Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara in an “Elite Deletion match” has been signed for Full Gear. They didn’t tell us what the rules of this new match are.

DARBY ALLIN VIDEO WITH STEVE-O FROM JACKASS- Darby rolled down a halfpipe in a bodybag. What was the purpose of this?

WINNERS GET AN AEW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH AT FULL GEAR: Private Party vs. the Young Bucks vs. the Dark Order (Alex Reynolds & John Silver) vs. The Butcher & The Blade (w/The Bunny)- 8/10
That’s right! With no explanation, Allie is now back to being The Bunny again and accompanying B&B to ringside. Well… there was an explanation in that “Eddie Kingston has reunited The Butcher, The Blade, and The Bunny.” Tell me again how AEW is so great at telling stories.
FTR were on commentary for this match. They got to watch an excellent action match which the Bucks won clean.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- didn’t like it
FTR got offer the Bucks some beer. Being dicks, the Bucks slap the beers out of their hands. Meanwhile, the timekeeper, who has had a mask coving up more of his face than usual on, slipped into the ring with a chair and attacked the Bucks from behind. Jim Ross can’t figure out of this was “premeditated or not.” It turned out to be Tully Blanchard.
They Pillmanizered Matt Jackson’s leg. The PPV is in two and a half weeks, which I think is too soon to recover from what should be a major injury angle. Also, the Bucks have been such assholes that when I saw the Pillmanizer, I thought “well… at least Matt can’t superkick anymore innocent people.”



In the ring, this was probably one of the best episodes of Dynamite, if not the best. If one ignores the issues with who was put in the tournament in the first place, this is also probably the show that annoyed me the least in quite a while, and the fact that this show had that terrible MJF/Jericho segment on it and yet still annoyed me less than other shows tells you just how many logic issues and goof-off segments Dynamite has had a on a weekly basis.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
NWK2000
Posts: 1330
Joined: Feb 26th, '14, 00:52

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 22nd, '20, 08:03

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 21st, '20, 22:58

MJF & CHRIS JERICHO GO TO DINNER- ATROCIOUS!
I wish I had a millionaire friend who would let me waste his/her money. Because that’s what this was. They did a f*cking dance number. They even had back-up dancers.
I'm amazed that this only got an "ATROCIOUS!" and not something that got the dreaded parenthesis in the title, and yet the segment that introduced Tozawa's ninjas was "The Worst thing ever in professional wrestling"
Up next on NWK Reviews
Matt Riddle's/Josh Barnett's Bloodsport
AAA When World Collide
WWE Wrestlemania 21
NWA-TNA Weekly Shows
WWE New Year's Revolution 2006

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25036
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '20, 09:32

NWK2000 wrote:
Oct 22nd, '20, 08:03
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 21st, '20, 22:58

MJF & CHRIS JERICHO GO TO DINNER- ATROCIOUS!
I wish I had a millionaire friend who would let me waste his/her money. Because that’s what this was. They did a f*cking dance number. They even had back-up dancers.
I'm amazed that this only got an "ATROCIOUS!" and not something that got the dreaded parenthesis in the title, and yet the segment that introduced Tozawa's ninjas was "The Worst thing ever in professional wrestling"
I debated the parenthesis, but I liked the wrestling on the rest of the show so much I thought it balanced out.

And that Tozawa thing WAS the worst thing ever. It wasn't just the ninjas. It was everything else going on. And that was something that had been adverrised as a big PPV match that they spent a lot of TV time building towards, and they turned it into a clown convention. I knew this was going to be bad from the beginning. I didn't expect it to be as farcical as it was, but I wasn't expecting anything worthwhile, either.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25036
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 22nd, '20, 19:07

Also, the nerve of doing that Jericho/MJF crap on the same show where Kingston buries "sports entertainment."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
Thelone
Posts: 175
Joined: Jul 9th, '19, 16:22

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Thelone » Oct 24th, '20, 09:40

This is basically why people like Cornette have been bitching about since the beginning : AEW has/had? this golden oportunity to create something new to counter WWE, but it's never going to happen because those in charge can't be serious and/or don't know what they're doing. Pretty much everything the Bucks/Omega have booked has been awful storyline wise and fast-forward material (tag division, women's division, Dark Order), Jericho is just in clown mode and doesn't give a single shit anymore, and Moxley is a afterthought most of the time because gotta waste time for the Cody Show and stupidity like Orange Cassidy. Let's not even talk about the complete lack of new stars being made, signing a billion wrestlers to do nothing on the Youtube show, and cool down those who might sell tickets/improve ratings/PPV buys.

But hey, let's keep those rose-colored glasses on and pretend like this Dark Order/Cabana """storyline""" is some Shakespearean masterpiece, that telling the same "story" with OC over and over isn't an indication that he's a one-note character already past his expiration date, that having Jungle Boy lose endlessly will make him a big star, and about thirty more points I could make.

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 19681
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by cero2k » Oct 24th, '20, 15:16

Thelone wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 09:40
This is basically why people like Cornette have been bitching about since the beginning : AEW has/had? this golden oportunity to create something new to counter WWE, but it's never going to happen because those in charge can't be serious and/or don't know what they're doing. Pretty much everything the Bucks/Omega have booked has been awful storyline wise and fast-forward material (tag division, women's division, Dark Order), Jericho is just in clown mode and doesn't give a single shit anymore, and Moxley is a afterthought most of the time because gotta waste time for the Cody Show and stupidity like Orange Cassidy. Let's not even talk about the complete lack of new stars being made, signing a billion wrestlers to do nothing on the Youtube show, and cool down those who might sell tickets/improve ratings/PPV buys.

But hey, let's keep those rose-colored glasses on and pretend like this Dark Order/Cabana """storyline""" is some Shakespearean masterpiece, that telling the same "story" with OC over and over isn't an indication that he's a one-note character already past his expiration date, that having Jungle Boy lose endlessly will make him a big star, and about thirty more points I could make.
i disagree, they know exactly what they're doing, they just don't give a crap about pandering to the 'serious' wrestling fan or the cult of cornette
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25036
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 24th, '20, 17:03

cero2k wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 15:16
Thelone wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 09:40
This is basically why people like Cornette have been bitching about since the beginning : AEW has/had? this golden oportunity to create something new to counter WWE, but it's never going to happen because those in charge can't be serious and/or don't know what they're doing. Pretty much everything the Bucks/Omega have booked has been awful storyline wise and fast-forward material (tag division, women's division, Dark Order), Jericho is just in clown mode and doesn't give a single shit anymore, and Moxley is a afterthought most of the time because gotta waste time for the Cody Show and stupidity like Orange Cassidy. Let's not even talk about the complete lack of new stars being made, signing a billion wrestlers to do nothing on the Youtube show, and cool down those who might sell tickets/improve ratings/PPV buys.

But hey, let's keep those rose-colored glasses on and pretend like this Dark Order/Cabana """storyline""" is some Shakespearean masterpiece, that telling the same "story" with OC over and over isn't an indication that he's a one-note character already past his expiration date, that having Jungle Boy lose endlessly will make him a big star, and about thirty more points I could make.
i disagree, they know exactly what they're doing, they just don't give a crap about pandering to the 'serious' wrestling fan or the cult of cornette
And that's fine if your goal isn't to grow your audience. If these guys just want to have their own pet promotion then that's fine, but don't pretend it's anything other than CHIKARA with TV and a big budget. It's been a year and they've been getting basically the same range the whole time, and it's worse than what TNA was getting on Spike in the early 2010s.
If that's what they want to do, that's their prerogative, but it's a huge lost opportunity for the wrestling business, especially for anyone who has wanted to see someone actually able to challenge Vince.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25036
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 24th, '20, 17:04

cero2k wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 15:16


i disagree, they know exactly what they're doing, they just don't give a crap about pandering to the 'serious' wrestling fan or the cult of cornette
This responds to the people criticizing the Jericho/MJF thing, but doesn't counter the points about (for example) the Cabana storyline, or the many other storylines where balls have been dropped.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 19681
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by cero2k » Oct 24th, '20, 21:21

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 17:03


And that's fine if your goal isn't to grow your audience. If these guys just want to have their own pet promotion then that's fine, but don't pretend it's anything other than CHIKARA with TV and a big budget. It's been a year and they've been getting basically the same range the whole time, and it's worse than what TNA was getting on Spike in the early 2010s.
If that's what they want to do, that's their prerogative, but it's a huge lost opportunity for the wrestling business, especially for anyone who has wanted to see someone actually able to challenge Vince.
don't make the error of thinking that 'serious' wrestling grows audiences, someone who isn't already watching is more likely to stop and enjoy a spotfest or a musical act than generic angry men on tv and 'psychology'. They have been basically on the same range the whole time, something that no other promotion can really say, most have been going down more and more, and they're enough of a challenge to Vince, otherwise NXT wouldn't be USA.
Image

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 19681
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by cero2k » Oct 24th, '20, 21:30

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 17:04


This responds to the people criticizing the Jericho/MJF thing, but doesn't counter the points about (for example) the Cabana storyline, or the many other storylines where balls have been dropped.
dropping the ball is about booking competency, which has nothing to do with what you want to have on your show and what themes. If the booking is not up to some people's standards doesn't mean that they don't know what they're doing
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25036
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 24th, '20, 22:17

cero2k wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 21:30
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 17:04


This responds to the people criticizing the Jericho/MJF thing, but doesn't counter the points about (for example) the Cabana storyline, or the many other storylines where balls have been dropped.
dropping the ball is about booking competency, which has nothing to do with what you want to have on your show and what themes. If the booking is not up to some people's standards doesn't mean that they don't know what they're doing
That depends how you define it, though. "Don't know what they're doing" can also mean "think they they're doing this right but aren't." I don't think they are setting out to tell bad stories. I think they don't realize that the way they're telling stories isn't working.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25036
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 24th, '20, 22:35

cero2k wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 21:21
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 17:03


And that's fine if your goal isn't to grow your audience. If these guys just want to have their own pet promotion then that's fine, but don't pretend it's anything other than CHIKARA with TV and a big budget. It's been a year and they've been getting basically the same range the whole time, and it's worse than what TNA was getting on Spike in the early 2010s.
If that's what they want to do, that's their prerogative, but it's a huge lost opportunity for the wrestling business, especially for anyone who has wanted to see someone actually able to challenge Vince.
don't make the error of thinking that 'serious' wrestling grows audiences, someone who isn't already watching is more likely to stop and enjoy a spotfest or a musical act than generic angry men on tv and 'psychology'. They have been basically on the same range the whole time, something that no other promotion can really say, most have been going down more and more,
1. Depends on your range. I could be wrong but my understanding is that TNA and MLW have been holding steady since they moved to their current networks (or at least with MLW they were before COVID), ROH we can never know because of how fractured the audience is among the time-slots.

2. If you look at the viewership numbers, AEW has actually been shrinking. The first quarter of the year or so, they were doing 950,000. They don't come close to 9 anymore, and are under 8 more often than over it. NXT has also lost about about the same number of viewers. They're doing better than NXT, but they're not growing, and have been slowly shrinking.





cero2k wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 21:21
and they're enough of a challenge to Vince, otherwise NXT wouldn't be USA.
1. I'll bet you if you had told Vince that they would be doing less than TNA was doing with Hogan, Flair, Jeff Hardy, Sting, and RVD, Vince wouldn't have been so worried.
2. I don't think that's true, and here is why. The part of that equation that everyone forgets is the sh*t-ton of money that USA is paying WWE for NXT. If USA didn't want them, they wouldn't be there. USA was losing Smackdown and probably wanted to replace the viewers. I think there's a good chance the move happens anyway.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 19681
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by cero2k » Oct 25th, '20, 08:28

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 22:17

That depends how you define it, though. "Don't know what they're doing" can also mean "think they they're doing this right but aren't." I don't think they are setting out to tell bad stories. I think they don't realize that the way they're telling stories isn't working.
key here being 'bad stories' for you, a lot of their stories get praised by a lot of people.
Image

User avatar
cero2k
Site Admin
Posts: 19681
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 11:32

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by cero2k » Oct 25th, '20, 08:52

Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 22:35

1. Depends on your range. I could be wrong but my understanding is that TNA and MLW have been holding steady since they moved to their current networks (or at least with MLW they were before COVID), ROH we can never know because of how fractured the audience is among the time-slots.

2. If you look at the viewership numbers, AEW has actually been shrinking. The first quarter of the year or so, they were doing 950,000. They don't come close to 9 anymore, and are under 8 more often than over it. NXT has also lost about about the same number of viewers. They're doing better than NXT, but they're not growing, and have been slowly shrinking.
1. Impact is the only promotion of those doing new episodes and i'm sure they're steady because it's down to the hardcores. The twitch stream seems to have less people as of the last time I saw on there. MLW hasn't done anything new and ROH JUST now came back, not a lot of chance to analyze if they've gone down.

2. First quarter they were still a new promotion, had the attention of a lot of people. A lot of people understandably dropped because watching wrestling every week is a pain in the ass (my excuse exactly, i didn't leave because of the booking, I just have stuff to do on Wednesdays). I do believe that the normal rating + DVR numbers are still around the 900K - 1M, so it's still about the same people, they just lost the necessity to watch live for the 'surprises'.




Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 22:35
1. I'll bet you if you had told Vince that they would be doing less than TNA was doing with Hogan, Flair, Jeff Hardy, Sting, and RVD, Vince wouldn't have been so worried.
2. I don't think that's true, and here is why. The part of that equation that everyone forgets is the sh*t-ton of money that USA is paying WWE for NXT. If USA didn't want them, they wouldn't be there. USA was losing Smackdown and probably wanted to replace the viewers. I think there's a good chance the move happens anyway.
1. That would go along with Vince thinking that old men are better draws than young ones. I also bet that if you told Vince that RAW would be doing those same Impact numbers with Hogan, Flair, Hardy, Sting, and RVD, he'd laugh in my face, but alas, they are.

2. You're probably right here, but let's not pretend that NXT ever since has been reactionary booking. Vince and USA already have proof that them moving to Tuesday could get them far better ratings, yet they won't change.
Image

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25036
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 25th, '20, 09:30

cero2k wrote:
Oct 25th, '20, 08:52
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 22:35

1. Depends on your range. I could be wrong but my understanding is that TNA and MLW have been holding steady since they moved to their current networks (or at least with MLW they were before COVID), ROH we can never know because of how fractured the audience is among the time-slots.

2. If you look at the viewership numbers, AEW has actually been shrinking. The first quarter of the year or so, they were doing 950,000. They don't come close to 9 anymore, and are under 8 more often than over it. NXT has also lost about about the same number of viewers. They're doing better than NXT, but they're not growing, and have been slowly shrinking.
1. Impact is the only promotion of those doing new episodes and i'm sure they're steady because it's down to the hardcores. The twitch stream seems to have less people as of the last time I saw on there. MLW hasn't done anything new and ROH JUST now came back, not a lot of chance to analyze if they've gone down.

2. First quarter they were still a new promotion, had the attention of a lot of people. A lot of people understandably dropped because watching wrestling every week is a pain in the ass (my excuse exactly, i didn't leave because of the booking, I just have stuff to do on Wednesdays). I do believe that the normal rating + DVR numbers are still around the 900K - 1M, so it's still about the same people, they just lost the necessity to watch live for the 'surprises'.
1. We've never had a good handle on ROH numbers, even before the pandemic, so for them it's impossible to tell. My point with AEW and TNA is that AEW, too, is down to mostly just it's hardcores. It seems from the numbers that there are only about 100,000 "swinger voters" between NXT and AEW, and that's a disappointment for AEW(and the business as a whole) because...
2. In the first quarter of this year they were three months in. I think that's more than enough time for the "initial" interest people to make up their minds about the promotion. There is a reason I used the Jan-March 2020 numbers as a baseline and not the over 1m they did the first few weeks (including over 1.4 on week one). The fact of the matter is that almost half of the potential universe of viewers for AEW have seen it and said "nope. Not for me," and AEW doesn't have some of the reasons working against it that NXT does (both the dumb ones, like "NXT is WWE's minor league," or "the arena doesn't look fancy" and the less dumb ones, like the crowd being bigger and hotter)



cero2k wrote:
Oct 25th, '20, 08:52
Big Red Machine wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 22:35
1. I'll bet you if you had told Vince that they would be doing less than TNA was doing with Hogan, Flair, Jeff Hardy, Sting, and RVD, Vince wouldn't have been so worried.
2. I don't think that's true, and here is why. The part of that equation that everyone forgets is the sh*t-ton of money that USA is paying WWE for NXT. If USA didn't want them, they wouldn't be there. USA was losing Smackdown and probably wanted to replace the viewers. I think there's a good chance the move happens anyway.
1. That would go along with Vince thinking that old men are better draws than young ones. I also bet that if you told Vince that RAW would be doing those same Impact numbers with Hogan, Flair, Hardy, Sting, and RVD, he'd laugh in my face, but alas, they are.

2. You're probably right here, but let's not pretend that NXT ever since has been reactionary booking. Vince and USA already have proof that them moving to Tuesday could get them far better ratings, yet they won't change.
1. Also true, but it doesn't change how AEW is doing and what Vince's reaction would be.

2. Again, that's true, but looking at the numbers, there really only seem to be 100,000 or so swing voters, so it's not hurting AEW that much when you compare it to what the potential audience was.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
Thelone
Posts: 175
Joined: Jul 9th, '19, 16:22

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/21/2020 Dynamite

Post by Thelone » Oct 26th, '20, 10:09

cero2k wrote:
Oct 24th, '20, 15:16
i disagree, they know exactly what they're doing, they just don't give a crap about pandering to the 'serious' wrestling fan or the cult of cornette
They know how to cater to their existing fans who will lap up everything they do, yes. The issue is that it doesn't attract anyone else apparently.

For all this talk about how it was going to be presented seriously as a sport, they sure gave up on that idea in a hurry. The rankings are worthless at this point, the show is filled with silly shit all over the place, and most of the storylines are nonsensical and impossible to take seriously because of said silly shit. No, everything doesn't need to be DEAD SERIOUS all the time, but you have to know when to do comedy and with the right people. It would also help if it wasn't mostly puerile comedy like being pelted with trash, grown men being brought to work in mommy's minivan like 5yo's, feuding over a broken arcade machine, etc.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest