BRM Reviews the 3/17/2021 Dynamite

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/17/2021 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 18th, '21, 19:40

WE ARE SHOWN MJF’S GROUP GETTING OUT OF A PRIVATE PLANE EARLIER TODAY- good tone-setting.

PENTA EL 0M vs. CODY RHODES (w/Arn Anderson)- 7/10
We got an in-set promo from Penta via his translator. It was basically last week’s big line but in different words.
During this match, Penta pulled out an extra barricade from the crowd, right behind the usual set-up barricade. Why would that be there?
Cody worked the knee and neck while Penta worked over Cody’s arm, paying into both Cody’s pre-existing injury and the inset promo. Penta hit the big arm snap, which Tony Schiavone had predicted would be the end for Cody… then Penta started posing, and a mere eight seconds after Penta hit the move that Schiavone prophesied would be doom for Cody, the match ended with a roll-up victory for Cody, making Schiavone look like an idiot.
Speaking of idiots, Jim Ross told us that Penta had “great timing” on his kick-outs? What does that even mean? That he kicks out before three? Most wrestlers kick out before 3 99% of the time.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
Penta attacked Cody after the match. Dustin and Gunn Club came out to make the save. This part was fine.
The part that wasn’t fine was Q.T. Marshall showing up to make the save late and everyone being upset at him. The problem with this is as follows. The Nightmare Family has approximately fifty-nine members at the moment, and while Q.T. showed up late, most of the others didn’t show up at all. You’d think the announcers, Cody, Dustin, and Gunn Club should be angry at them, too. And if the answer is the perfectly reasonable “they were too far away to make the save in time,” then why are we assuming that the same can’t apply to Q.T.?

ALEX MARVEZ INTERVIEWS THE YOUNG BUCKS- good segment, with a caveat
Marvez noted that Rey Fenix & Pac have earned a tag title shot and asked the Bucks “where is your focus headed towards this match?” Um… on the match, one would assume. Matt had to do Marvez’s job for him and complete the framing of the angle by explaining what happened last week.
Don Callis interrupted the interview to annoy the Bucks. They apparently have a “don’t slap the leg” t-shirt to take a shot at WWE. What kind of “fan” would buy that as opposed to a t-shirt supporting their favorite wrestler.
Callis said that the Bucks were not the best team in the world as they claimed. He also admitted that the Bucks “never kicked me” and that he was “faking.” This seems like it should have some major repercussions on Omega’s relationship with him (for lying and trying to stir up trouble between Kenny and his good friends the Young Bucks) or should directly lead to the Bucks having a revelation about where Kenny really stands and should lead to a big rift in their friendship (if not the end of it).
Callis claims his douchebaggery was an attempt to motivate the Bucks because they’re “not elite anymore” and that’s why Kenny “doesn’t recognize” them. Assuming this does actually lead to a change in one of the relationships I mentioned above, this was a good segment.

JADE CARGILL vs. DANI JORDAN- squash
This was kept very short. Jade got into it with Red Velvet in the crowd on the outside.

Excalibur speculated whether Spears and MJF gambling in the very early days of the pandemic was the beginning of this faction. Maybe, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that these guys were GAMBLING ON WRESTLING MATCHES and were not punished for it in any way.

MJF & FRIENDS (A.K.A. “THE PINNACLE” PROMO- AWESOME!
MJF and Tully did the talking. The only parts I didn’t like were MJF calling out Jericho’s “comedy bullsh*t” as if MJF himself wasn’t doing that before joining Jericho, and calling FTR “the only grand slam tag team champions in professional wrestling history” or whatever exactly he said. First, it’s not a good idea to talk about a “grand slam” of titles when the enemy promotion controls three of them, and it’s an even worse idea to do it when it snubs all three of your partner promotions.

BEAR COUNTRY & JURASSIC EXPRESS vs. THE MATT HARDY EMPIRE (Matt Hardy, Private Party & The Butcher & The Blade) (w/The Bunny)- 5.75/10
Matt cut a fine in-set promo before the match. The story was that the babyfaces couldn’t work together for reasons that seemed kind of petty. I think the real problem here was that Excalibur teased the story to us by saying “Bear Country eliminated Jurassic Express from the battle royale. Will they be able to get along tonight?” which frames any inability to get along as a result of Jurassic Express being petty. If Excalibur hadn’t mentioned that at all, I would have really loved the way they did this, with actual accidents and misunderstandings causing the issues.
On the heel side of things, they definitely got across what they intended to get across well, but I don’t understand why these teams (and especially The Butcher & The Blade, who already have a manager) feel like they need Matt Hardy, and why they would be willing to put up with him when he’s such a glory hog and clearly wants them to do all the hard work.

JON MOXLEY & EDDIE KINGSTON PROMO- good (though it went on for too long)

DASHA INTERVIEWS CHRISTIAN CAGE- good stuff from Christian

EDDIE KINGSTON & JON MOXLEY vs. THE GOOD BROTHERS- 6.5/10
The Good Brothers jumped Kingston during his entrance. They had a good brawl. Moxley rolled Anderson up for the win… then got jumped after the match, so that’s twice in four matches (and, come to think of it, it was what happened at the end of the last match on last week’s show, too).

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- decent
Kenny Omega and Don Callis came out. Kingston tried to fight them but got hit with a Magic Killer by the Good Brothers. They Pillmanizered Kingston’s ankle… and it didn’t feel like a big deal at all because the last time we saw that happen to someone, he was back two weeks later.
They went to Pillmanizer Moxley’s neck but the Young Bucks came out to protect Moxley. Much arguing ensued. The Bucks refused to Too Sweet with the others and went to leave Kenny got in Matt’s face. Moxley eventually recovered enough to chase the heels off with a chair.
The execution here was very good, but I can’t help but feel that there is an important storyline element missing. I think it’s that the Bucks don’t really come off like babyfaces to me, so their intervention here felt more like an outgrowth of their issues with Callis and the increasingly-distant Kenny than any sort of humanitarian gesture towards Moxley, but because they often don’t come across to me as babyfaces, it doesn’t feel genuine to me that they would choose this moment to make a stand (as opposed to, say, Adam Page, who could have made it work both ways). The booker’s hand felt a little too visible.

During the previous match, Tony Schiavone told us that Matt Sydal won the chance to have a “World Title Eliminator” match against Kenny Omega, which means that if Sydal beats Kenny, he’ll earn a world title shot at some point in the future.
1) Don’t use the same name for a gimmick stipulation that you’re using for your tournaments!
2) Why should that stipulation need its own gimmicked name? Beating the champ should ALWAYS lead to a title shot.
Tony further informed us that “Tony Khan made this match official to prevent Kenny Omega from breaking his gentlemen’s agreement.”
What “gentlemen’s agreement?” I have no idea what Tony is talking about here, and no one ever explained it.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS DARBY ALLIN & STING- fine
Another week, another Tony Schiavone interview with Sting.
They focused on the fact that Darby us limping after Scorpio Sky’s post-match attack last week. Darby talked about how he is upset that he hasn’t been able to defend his title often due to the feud with Team Taz, but now that that’s over with, he’s going to “pay tribute to the greatest TNT Champion of all time.”
1) Dude… there have only been three champions. It’s a little soon to start calling Cody “the greatest TNT Champion of all time.” It just sounds silly.
2) When Darby said “the greatest TNT Champion of all time, all of the wrestlers in the crowd started chanting “CODY! CODY! CODY!” They came off like a bunch of f*cking marks. AEW loves having these wrestlers in the crowd, but the way they have them act damages their credibility as wrestlers because they feel more like set-pieces. They’re painfully obvious plants.
Darby wants to give a title shot to a member of the Dark Order, so he really is paying tribute to Cody doing exactly what Cody used to do: give title shots to undeserving tomato cans so that he wouldn’t have to defend against credible opposition.
Lance Archer (& Jake Roberts) interrupted. Archer is tired of being ignored. He has a point that he is much more deserving of a title shot than any member of the Dork Order.
Archer threated to kill Darby, then Jake cut a promo on Darby, who just stood there and took it. They then focused on Sting for a bit while Jake said some threatening things. They left, and when Tony was about to ask Sting a question, Team Taz interrupted. Brian Cage turned babyface by putting Sting over. His teammates and manager were not happy about this. It’s nice to see someone actually turn babyface on this show instead of become one simply by virtue of being on the other side from some heels (or randomly become babyfaces because their evil cult leader legitimately died and we’re just supposed to forget all of the terrible things they’ve done).
Team Taz left… and then Sting’s music started to play so he and Darby left, too. That’s two weeks in a row now where Schiavone has been supposed to interview Sting but was interrupted before Tony could ask his question, and then, when the interrupter leaves, Sting just leaves to without Tony ever asking his question. In kayfabe, why do they keep booking these interviews with Sting if the dude clearly doesn’t have anything to say?

VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO ABOUT SCORPIO SKY’S TURN- excellent

ANGELICO vs. REY FENIX (w/Pac)- 6.75/10
A solid and clean win for Fenix. It’s kind of weird that they’re building up Rey Fenix in singles matches when he and Pac just earned a tag title shot.

KIP SABIAN INTERRUPTS ALEX MARVEZ’S INTERVIEW WITH MIRO- good
Miro says he’s not interested in Chuck Taylor’s offer for a match, but Kip shows up and says he is. He’s upset that they ruined his wedding and also upset that Miro doesn’t seem to care. And he’s also upset that Miro pushed Chuck into Penelope at the PPV. Miro said he didn’t care and told Kip that in his experience, “having your wife at ringside” is “the worst thing for your career.” Miro said that once the bell rings, all he cares about is winning, but told Kip they were still friends outside the ring. Miro left, and Kip accepted Chuck’s offer on Miro’s behalf… and apparently he can do that, even though Miro just said he wasn’t accepting Chuck’s challenge. Other than that last part, this was good.

ALEX MARVEZ INTERVIEWS THE DARK ORDER- bad
He annoying little kid wants the title shot. Uno tells him no. Being a pack of goofs, they decide that their goofiest member, John Silver, should get the title shot.

THE PINNACLE STEAL THE INNER CIRCLE’S LOCKER ROOM- apparently they’re just allowed to do this.

UNSANCTIONED LIGHTS OUT MATCH: Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker, DMD (w/Rebel)- 8.75/10
This was vicious, bloody, brutal, and full of weapons, and had a nice, decisive finish at the end. This was everything you want in a blow-off grudge match.

A GREAT episode of Dynamite.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Thelone

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/17/2021 Dynamite

Post by Thelone » Mar 21st, '21, 11:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 18th, '21, 19:40PENTA EL 0M vs. CODY RHODES (w/Arn Anderson)- 7/10
Is it just me or have they just given up on Pentagon at this point? The guy basically became a parody of himself since he joined AEW, randomly stopped teaming up with his brother, and (of course) Cody wins anyway despite Penta hitting his big death move, seemingly to further a QT Marshall heel turn absolutely no one cares about.
During the previous match, Tony Schiavone told us that Matt Sydal won the chance to have a “World Title Eliminator” match against Kenny Omega, which means that if Sydal beats Kenny, he’ll earn a world title shot at some point in the future.
1) Don’t use the same name for a gimmick stipulation that you’re using for your tournaments!
2) Why should that stipulation need its own gimmicked name? Beating the champ should ALWAYS lead to a title shot.
Tony further informed us that “Tony Khan made this match official to prevent Kenny Omega from breaking his gentlemen’s agreement.”
What “gentlemen’s agreement?” I have no idea what Tony is talking about here, and no one ever explained it.
More importantly, how did he win that opportunity? Looking at his record, the only way Sydal could have earned a match with L'Artiste is by winning the grand prize at a bingo game.
ALEX MARVEZ INTERVIEWS THE DARK ORDER- bad
He annoying little kid wants the title shot. Uno tells him no. Being a pack of goofs, they decide that their goofiest member, John Silver, should get the title shot.
They're still using Brodie's kid on TV?
UNSANCTIONED LIGHTS OUT MATCH: Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker, DMD (w/Rebel)- 8.75/10
This was vicious, bloody, brutal, and full of weapons, and had a nice, decisive finish at the end. This was everything you want in a blow-off grudge match.
Meanwhile, Shida and her nothing reign just keep going on.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '21, 14:08

Thelone wrote: Mar 21st, '21, 11:24
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 18th, '21, 19:40PENTA EL 0M vs. CODY RHODES (w/Arn Anderson)- 7/10
Is it just me or have they just given up on Pentagon at this point? The guy basically became a parody of himself since he joined AEW, randomly stopped teaming up with his brother, and (of course) Cody wins anyway despite Penta hitting his big death move, seemingly to further a QT Marshall heel turn absolutely no one cares about.
Possibly (although I will argue that he became a parody of himself when he hit the indy scene and Lucha Underground was easily his best work, simply because he could do more than a flip-dive, a superkick, a Canadian Destroyer, snaps someone's arm, and do his hand signal.
Thelone wrote: Mar 21st, '21, 11:24
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 18th, '21, 19:40During the previous match, Tony Schiavone told us that Matt Sydal won the chance to have a “World Title Eliminator” match against Kenny Omega, which means that if Sydal beats Kenny, he’ll earn a world title shot at some point in the future.
More importantly, how did he win that opportunity? Looking at his record, the only way Sydal could have earned a match with L'Artiste is by winning the grand prize at a bingo game.
That part doesn't bother me because the promotion has the right to book anyone against anyone. He still has to beat Omega to earn the title shot.

Thelone wrote: Mar 21st, '21, 11:24 Meanwhile, Shida and her nothing reign just keep going on.
You're not wrong, but I think the issue is more that they have failed to build up challengers or have any real women's undercard to speak of than it is Shida herself not connecting.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Mar 22nd, '21, 14:37

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 21st, '21, 14:08Possibly (although I will argue that he became a parody of himself when he hit the indy scene and Lucha Underground was easily his best work, simply because he could do more than a flip-dive, a superkick, a Canadian Destroyer, snaps someone's arm, and do his hand signal.
To be fair, I can see why he would want to leave because they've done so little with the Lucha Bros (did they even have a title match?), but then he also turned into such a one-note guy that it wouldn't be a big loss.

Or maybe it'll be like the first time they tried something with good ol' QT and Pentagon will be back with his brother in two weeks like nothing happened.
That part doesn't bother me because the promotion has the right to book anyone against anyone. He still has to beat Omega to earn the title shot.
Yes and no. Sure, the promotion can book whatever they want, but Sydal did mostly nothing to earn that match either. It was apparently a storyline they did on their new Youtube squashathon where if he beat Nakazawa, Omega would give him a match. He tried to get away from it (because Sydal is the most dangerous person in the world obviously) and Tony McKhan cut a horrible promo to officialize the match.
You're not wrong, but I think the issue is more that they have failed to build up challengers or have any real women's undercard to speak of than it is Shida herself not connecting.
Shida isn't connecting because, shockingly enough, she doesn't really have a gimmick/character besides "japanese wrestler who's quite good at what she does". Yeah, the lack of credible challengers isn't helping her in the slightest (a common theme for pretty much every champion in the promotion so far), but "someone" needs to sit down with Omega, tell him that he sucks at his job and give up his spot to whoever booked the Rosa-Baker feud (you cannot convince me it's him).