BRM Reviews the 10/27/2021 Dynamite (bad)

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/27/2021 Dynamite (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 28th, '21, 20:59

CM PUNK vs. BOBBY FISH- 7.5/10
Excalibur referred to Paul Turner as the “Senior Official,” so I guess Aubrey Edwards got demoted for ignoring the rules all the time. Good.
The announcers pushed this as Punk’s in-ring “Dynamite debut,” which came off very WWE-esque, trying to make him wrestling for the first time on a specific television show feel important even though it is no different than the several times we’ve seen him wrestle on the other show (and on PPV).
Fish worked over Punk’s knee. Punk sold it very well. Punk was able to overcome the pain and hit the GTS, then crawl over and get the pin, although Fish kicked out right at three, if not before.

MALAKAI BLACK PROMO AFTER LAST WEEK’S MATCH- He takes credit for the following:
1. “Divided the entire Nightmare Family”- I guess this is true, but that’s really more because they’re all overdramatic goofs than because of anything particularly sneaky that Black did.
2. “Forced you to take measures you’d never taken before”- Yeah, because Cody has never put someone through a table before.
3. “I made an entire crowd hate you”- Sorry pal, Cody is the one who made the crowd hate him. People were cheering from the very first moment you kicked his head in, and the fans (or at least the ones who liked him in the first place) turning on Cody has been coming for a lot longer than you’ve been in the company.
He then tells Cody that this isn’t about pinfalls and that “the House always wins.” This was a really good promo if you can ignore the fact that the things he’s saying just plain aren’t true. Maybe you can excuse that as his heel ego, so I guess this was good, but the idea that Cody had never resorted to using a table before (or any of the other stuff he did in this feud) was utterly ridiculous.

BRYCE DONOVAN vs. MJF (w/Shawn Spears & Wardlow)- squash

MJF PROMO- great promo, bad segment
MJF spoke many truths about the horrible, terrible, smelly, disgusting city of Boston and its stupid, ugly residents. When he started to talk about Darby Allin, he began to speak falsehoods. Specifically, he claimed that Darby was too scared to show up to work, when we all know that Darby is injured. MJF declared himself to be a future world champion and seemed to indicate that he would be coming for the title after Full Gear.
Sting’s entrance started up, but then stopped and MJF and Spears started laughing and MJF called the fans dumb. Why did the person in the production truck go along with this? Tony Khan should fire that person immediately.
Then the lights went out, and this time it wasn’t a set-up, as Darby Allin video began to play on the screen. It ended with the phrase “now time to break you physically,” at which point the lights came back on, and Sting was in the ring. He hit the heels from behind with a baseball bat, which I would normally not like, but there are three of them, so I’m fine with it.
MJF ran away… and unfortunately, for him, he just so happened to decide to stop running a few feet in front of where Darby Allin was disguised as The Invisible Man from the League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Darby removed his disguise and attacked MJF, no doubt thanking G-d that MJF had decided to stop and in exactly the right place to make Darby’s plan not look stupid.
MJF ran away, and Darby and Sting beat up Spears and Wardlow, including Darby hitting Wardlow in the back with a skateboard with thumbtacks on it. Darby then challenged MJF to a match at Full Gear. If they had done this same thing except they had Darby just run in with Sting, it would have been so much better.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS DR. BRITT BAKER, DMD- Tony reveals to Dr. Baker that because she walked out on a recent match against Abadon on the Jericho Cruise, Tony Khan has booked a “Trick-or-Treat match” for Rampage where if Abandon wins, she gets a title shot. Dr. Baker asked what the “trick” was, to which Tony responded that the match is no DQs. This made Dr. Baker become quite agitated, and it had the same effect on me, though probably not for the same reason. I was agitated because if the trick is the no DQs stipulation and the treat is Abadon potentially getting a title shot, then where is the “or?” This should be a “Trick-and-Treat match.” Or, even better, don’t give a match a stupid nonsensical name just because it’s happening in proximity to a holiday!
Then Britt remembered she has lackeys, and Abadon doesn’t, so she got quite happy… which makes me wonder why Tony Khan thought this would be some sort of punishment for Britt. He actually made her life easier. What an idiot! If you want to stop Britt from walking out on the match, book it in a cage! Or make a stipulation that if she gets counted out, she’ll be stripped of the title. Or do seventeen other things that make more sense than this!

AEW TNT TITLE MATCH IN WHICH EVERYONE IS BARRED FROM RINGISDE AND IF SAMMY GUEVARA WINS, THE INNER CICRLE GET A TEN-MAN TAG AGAINST AMERICAN TOP TEAM AND THE MEN OF THE YEAR, BUT IF SAMMY GUEVARA LOSES, HE MUST LEAVE THE INNER CIRCLE FOREVER: Sammy Guevara(c) vs. Ethan Page- 4.5/10
We were told that because this match is so important, Tony Khan has barred everyone from ringside. That’s nice… though it does make one wonder why Tony hasn’t done this for so many of Britt Baker and Kenny Omega’s title defenses. I guess the world titles must not be so important.
Sammy charged down to the ring and they started fighting, but the bell didn’t ring to start the match because… umm… they wanted to do spots on the outside without getting counted out, so they didn’t want the match to start. They knew they had to get dirt to fill up that plot-hole, so they decided to procure said dirt by digging a second plot-hole.
This was good for a bit, but they hit a point where it felt like the moves didn’t matter because the next thing someone tried would always get countered, culminating in a finish that saw four different things in a row get countered… and I don’t mean countered as in “I got slipped free of your move.” I mean countered like “stopped the move by causing you to fall on your face or get slammed down.”

Tony Schiavone noted during this match that “Sammy Guevara has had some great title defenses.” Considering that this is just his second one (and AEW’s graphic noted that when Sammy came out), this cannot possibly be true. Mauro Ranallo and Lenny Leonard are available. Why is Tony Schiavone calling matches?

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
Ethan Page attacked Sammy from behind. Scorpio Sky came out to help, so the Inner Circle came out to chase them off. This felt like an excuse so Jericho could already be in the ring so he could cut his promo.
Jericho told Ethan Page “the last thing you’ve beaten of any prominence was yourself in your hotel room last night.” I’m not understanding the insult here. If Jericho had said “the last thing you’ve beaten of any prominence was yourself in your hotel room six months ago” that would be one thing, but if the alleged masturbation of an apparently quite prominent penis occurred just last night, then it’s reasonable for Page to have wrestled no more than this one match since then. All Jericho did here was say that Ethan Page has an at least moderately large penis. Where is the insult?
Jericho told us that, by order of Tony Khan, the ten-man tag at Full Gear will now be a Street Fight. Let me get this straight: In order to get Lambert and his pals to agree to have any match at all, the Inner Circle had to agree that Sammy would have to put his title on the line tonight and win… but now Tony Khan can just add stipulations to that match willy-nilly?
Jericho seems to think this is a good thing for his team, but it’s really not because, as we’ve seen, American Top Team alone is about fifteen people, never mind Page and Sky.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS BRYAN DANIELSON & EDDIE KINGSTON- decent
Kingston took offense to something Bryan said “last night” about Kingston not working hard. Kingston explained that he has to take Zoloft so that he doesn’t just stat assaulting random people. He came off as scary and dangerous, but with a truly righteous fury. I actually loved that he decided he didn’t care what Dragon was going to say and walked off right after he was done responding to Bryan’s previous comments.
Bryan then cut a promo in which he said “that’s the Eddie Kingston I want to see,” and said that many others in the locker room-himself included- have gone through what Kingston has gone through and haven’t complained about it… but I just don’t buy that. It felt to me like Kingston was talking about something much different- much more intimate and emotional- than the kind of bland professional difficulties that Dragon was talking about, and as a result Dragon did not come off well here at all.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS THE LUCHA BROS.- fine
If Fenix can speak English, why do we need this Abrahantes geek?
They say that they know that what FTR really want are the AEW World Tag Team Titles, so they’ll put them on the line against FTR at Full Gear. If that was the case and this was all an evil plan, why did Andrade challenge them to put the AAA belts on the line instead of the AEW belts that were FTR’s supposed end-goal?

AEW TBS TITE TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Hikaru Shida vs. Serena Deeb- 8/10
Shida came down to the ring holding the very plaque (I made sure to spell it right this time) that Deeb hit her in the head with in their last match… which was a plaque that was going to be presented to Shida upon winning her fiftieth match, but she’s still at forty-nine wins, so why does she have it?
Apparently Shida had been in the Top 5 of the division for ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT WEEKS before losing to Deeb a few weeks ago, and that loss knocked her out of the Top 5. Are you kidding me?
First of all, I thought the champions aren’t ranked, A hundred and eight weeks would take us back to before Dynamite even started, and there wasn’t a champion before then, so this is clearly incorrect. Secondly, are you telling me that Hikaru Shida has more wins than any other woman in the company… and losing a match because her opponent cheated to beat her caused her to drop out? Come on!
The announcers seem to be complete ignoring the fact that Deeb had to cheat to beat Shida. Deeb worked over the knee and Shida sold very well. She won with a roll-up to get her fiftieth win… which all of a sudden doesn’t feel as important because all throughout the match (including about two seconds before) the announcers told me that “it’s so much more important than that fiftieth win. It’s about advancing in the TBS Title tournament.”

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- okay
Deeb took out Shida’s knee because heel. After a chop-block she got a chair and began smashing it into Shida’s knee, while Aubrey Edwards stood there gesticulating wildly instead of trying to get the weapon away from the attacker. Deeb locked in a half crab, which brought out a gaggle of referees, and even a wild Jerry Lynn. Deeb agreed to let go of the hold, and then shocked me by not assaulting Jerry instead, since it has been a good six weeks or since an old person was assaulted on Dynamite, which I think is a record.
Yes, this escalates the feud between Deeb and Shida, and it not only gives Shida an out for losing to Nyla next week but also serves as something that Deeb has taken away from her, but the fact that Deeb’s explanation of her turn on of her turn was so generic and dull, and the fact that the announcers didn’t treat Deeb cheating in their last match as a big deal (in fact they seemed to go out of their way not to mention it) has already taken the win out of the sails of this feud for me.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS LIO RUSH & DANTE MARTIN- very good
Tony announces that an injury to Mike Sydal means that we won’t be getting the advertised Rush & martin vs. Sydal Brothers match. Instead, on a later date, we’ll be getting a third Dante Martin vs. Matt Sydal match, which Tony says is great news because “the first two have been a classic.” That’s not me making a typo. Tony failed basic singular-plural agreement.
Lio Rush says that his in-ring debut will come at the right time. Didn’t his debut already happen, back at Double or Nothing, in the battle royale that Jungle Boy won? Lio also said that in this third match, Dante would finally beat Matt Sydal, because he would have Lio Rush in his corner; a mentor who actually cares about teaching him.

AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR FIRST ROUND MATCH: Jon Moxley vs. Ten- DUD!
Moxley squashed and bloodied this total loser who had no place in this tournament whatsoever. This did nothing for anyone, as it didn’t make Moxley look good because the guy he beat came across as a total pushover, because all of these wins he has picked up to justify his spot in this tournament were over jobbers on the internet shows. In fact, all this match did was make me like Moxley less, because he rips the guy’s mask open and bit his face for no reason.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS FTR & TULLY BLANCHARD- bad
Cash talks about how long they have waited in order to get the chance to get “their” belts back. Well if you wanted them back so badly, why didn’t you ever come out and say “we want a title shot” at any point in the past year?

CODY RHODES PROMO- bad… and possibly peak Cody
He started talking about how instead of a Tiger Driver 98 he considered hitting a different move, and then asked if doing so would have meant him “abused my executive power, breaking the covenant between you and I; challenged for the world championship.” Did my DVD skip? What the f*ck is he talking about?
He says that he didn’t because “that would be easy.” I still have no idea what he’s talking about.
Now it seems like he’s talking about turning heel in a meta way. That he could turn himself heel as a response to people not cheering him if he wanted, but he won’t because that would be the easy way out of the situation. Oh really, Space Clown? Then why don’t you go on Twitter and put Vince over for “not taking the easy way out” with Roman Reigns for five years but talk about how disappointed you were when Vince took the easy way out by turning Roman heel last summer?
He then starts essentially begging for cheers by reminding us all that while Tony Khan might sign the checks, Cody is the one who “built this bank,” which I think is about 60% true. I am firmly of the belief that Cody leeched off of all off the Elite’s dumb BTE sh*t to get himself as over as he is, but I don’t see any of EVPs other than Cody having had the ambition to try something like All Out. The others have all struck me as happy to be doing what they wanted and having the matches they wanted to have in NJPW/ROH/PWG/wherever else they wanted. I think Cody was the guy with the real ambition in terms of wanting to prove he could draw on that grand a scale in the US. So maybe more accurate would be that the others built the bank, but Cody was the investment manager who came in and helped them become a powerhouse. And some of the credit has to go to ROH, who plugged All In all over the place on their TV and other shows, which is why I think the claim that they drew that house without TV is bullsh*t. I tend to think that they probably would have drawn 10,000 without TV, but we can’t be certain, and the idea that they didn’t have TV is totally false.
Anyway, Cody came off pathetically desperate for cheers here. I tend to think that this was part of a plan to get him booed more, but it’s Cody, so I can’t be certain that he actually does think this will get some more people to cheer him.
He flat out said “I will not turn,” so this isn’t even kayfabe anymore. This is just sad, and, ironically, given what Cody said towards the beginning of this promo, an abuse of his executive power.
Thankfully Andrade came out and interrupted Cody, although I would have been a lot happier if he had come out five minutes ago. He says that Cody makes stupid choices, like getting that neck tattoo and getting involved in his business last week.
He says he will make Cody his little bitch. The lights off so that Malakai Black to teleport to the ring, because G-d for bit he just come out of the crowd. Black spit mist in Cody’s face, and Andrade and Black started to stomp a mudhole in Cody. Instead of trying to help Cody, Arn Anderson went after Jose, Andrade’s non-wrestler assistant, who is in a neck brace. Very brave of Arn. Thankfully, Andrade came over to save Jose, and I was quite happy to then see Jose getting some revenge on that cowardly Arn Anderson.
Despite Cody being part of a stable with approximately thirty-nine people in it, the only person who came out to help was Pac, who took both heels out on his own, then mocked Black’s pose, just for good measure.

THE ELITE (Kenny Omega, Adam Cole, & the Young Bucks) vs. THE DARK ORDER (John Solver, Colt Cabana, Evil Uno, & Stu Grayson)- 5/10
They’re all wearing stupid Halloween costumes, because this is a clown show. They did moves. The Elite were dressed up as the Ghost Busters, and had both Nakazawa and a guy in a Marshmallow Man costume with them. Ross at one point outright said “these idiots won’t pay attention to the rules and they can create their own rules.” He kayfabe justified it by following it up with the idea that the Bucks and Kenny are EVPs, but that excuse has never been used before and they haven’t been shown to have any booking power before (although Cody has), but I think we all know he meant it as a shoot, I don’t think he’s wrong.
Marshmallow Man turned out to be Adam Page, who attacked the Elite, helping Dark Order win, so that’s the second time in one year that they have done the “Adam Page is the guy in the costume who comes out with the heel and the heel doesn’t know it” gimmick. Page’s interference might be able to function as an excuse for why the Elite lost, but can’t serve as an excuse for why the four top heels in the company were unable to put away a group of dorks for over ten minutes.

This was a bad show, despite some great wrestling in the opener and women’s match.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3