BRM Reviews the 11/10/2021 Dynamite (GREAT!)

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 11/10/2021 Dynamite (GREAT!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 12th, '21, 14:16

BRYAN DANIELSON vs. ROCKY ROMERO (w/Orange Cassidy)- 7/10
Orange Cassidy is out here with Rocky because apparently Okada invited the Goof Patrol to join CHAOS. I’m very glad I’ve cut back severely on New Japan.
Of all the people to come to ringside, why is it Orange Cassidy, the guy whose gimmick is that he doesn’t care about things? Shouldn’t it Rocky’s former tag team partner, Trent?
Orange Cassidy and friends are supposed to be babyfaces, but OC distracted Dragon here to allow Rocky to hit him with a move, which is a heel thing to do.
Matt Hardy was shown sitting at ringside, as his feud with Orange Cassidy continues to go nowhere.
Dragon won in a fun eleven minutes of wrestling.

AMERICAN TOP TEAM JUMP THE INNER CIRCLE FROM BEHIND ON THE RAMP AND DESTROY THEM- an excellent (and much needed) go-home angle for this feud. We got promos from Sky and Page (including Page saying that Lambert would pin Jericho at the PPV). Lambert put Jericho in a Boston Crab. Not the Walls of Jericho. He made a point of telling us that.

JAMIE HAYTER, BRITT BAKER, & REBEL vs. THUNDER ROSA & THE DARK ORDER (Anna Jay & Tay Conti)- 5/10
A fine six-person tag to preview two upcoming matches (Conti vs. Baker for the belt and Rosa vs. Hayter in the TBS Title tournament).

RUBY SOHO VS. KRIS STATLANDER VIDEO PACKAGE- meh
I’m seeing footage of Ruby almost hitting Statlander in the face with a pipe. When did this happen? Maybe make sure we have some context before showing us something like that?
Promo-wise, Ruby was good, but that was all cancelled out by Statlander being a clown doing her alien crap.

JUNGLE BOY vs. ANTHONY BOWENS (w/Max Castor)- 6.75/10
Very enjoyable babyface vs. heel stuff. I see what people see in Castor now. Jungle Boy won cleanly, as well he should have.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Bobby Fish came out and attacked Jungle Boy. Christian Cage and Luchasaurs came out to run him off. I guess the idea is that Fish doesn’t like the Young up-and-comers. They could theoretically be setting up for him to join the Super-Kliq/Elite (he does have a past association with Adam Cole), but I don’t think so.

ADAM COLE VS. KENNY OMEGA VIDEO PACKAGE- meh
Kenny’s ending line was good, but everything else was very meh.

ADAM COLE & THE YOUNG BUCKS PROMO- Or I could be totally wrong, and they are setting up for Fish to join the Super-Kliq.

EDDIE KINGSTON VS. CM PUNK VIDEO PACKAGE- good

WARDLOW vs. WHEELER YUTA (w/Chuck Taylor & Orange Cassidy)- squash
Schiavone’s line that Shawn Spears isn’t at ringside with Wardlow as his “accountabili-buddy” because he is helping MJF train for his match against Darby Allin was a fine little way to add something to the Wardlow-MJF storyline (assuming that is actually going anywhere at any point soon).

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
Isaiah Kassidy and The Blade attacked the Goof Patrol after the match. Matt Hardy hit Orange Cassidy in the gut with a chair, then wrapped the chair around OC’s neck and hit a Twist of Fate where it looked like neither OC’s head nor any part of the chair hit the ground at all.

CM PUNK AND EDDIE KINGSTON HAVE TO BE KEPT APART IN THE PARKING LOT- fine

LIO RUSH & DANTE MARTIN vs. MATT SYDAL & LEE MORIARTY- 8/10
I absolutely f*cking adored this match. Tremendous high-flying and technical action, and a nice, clean finish with the right guys winning. I love how Lio is managing to be a heel without cheating and without making Dante feel like a heel.

MIRO PROMO- awesome

SINGLES MATCH WITH “ALL ACTIVE WRESTLERS” BARRED FROM RINGSIDE: Pac vs. Dax Harwood (w/Tully Blanchard)- 7.75/10
Ross and Schiavone praised the banning of all “active wrestlers” from ringside, asking “how smart is Tony Khan?!” To which I answer “not very.” If you don’t want anyone ton interfere, just ban everyone from ringside! Is Tony really so dumb as to think that Tully Blanchard won’t interfere in this match?
This was a great, intense match. That avalanche brainbuster should have been the finish.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
Pac won’t give up the hold on Dax, so Cash runs in to save his partner and they beat Pac up. How is that supposed to be heelish when it only happened because Pac was doing something heelish to Dax?
Malakai Black and Andrade el Idolo showed up via magical lights-out teleportation, because G-d forbid they just run down to ringside in a situation like this. The Lucha Bros. came out to help, running out from backstage… and Cody came out from the crowd, because apparently he and Arn Anderson were hanging out on the concourse for some reason. The babyfaces won the fight. This was corny, contrived, and I had no sympathy for the babyface who was initially getting beaten down because he was being a heel.

DARBY ALLIN VS. MJF VIDEO PACKAGE- TREMENDOUS!

Cody & Pac vs. Andrade and Black has been added to Full Gear.

AEW WORLD TITLE CONTRACT SIGNING- good
We were told that both the Elite and Dark Order from the building so they were wouldn’t interfere in this… contract signing. How about banning them from ringside for the match, Tony?
Their promos were meh, but the angle with Callis (disguised as a cameraman) hitting Page in the face with the camera (bloodying him) and cutting a promo on him while Kenny taunted was very good, and I’m always a sucker for signing the contract in your opponent’s blood.

This was a GREAT episode of Dynamite. It was an effective go-home show that also managed to move some non-PPV stories along, too, and deliver some great wrestling.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. When Lio Rush first dove onto one opponent, then ran through the ring to dive onto another, Tony Schiavone referred to it as “stereo,” so even after being a pro wrestling announcer for twenty years, he doesn’t know what that word means. Idiot.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3