BRM Reviews the 1/26/2022 Dynamite (BAD)

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/26/2022 Dynamite (BAD)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 27th, '22, 18:29

LADDER MATCH FOR THE UNDISPUTED TNT TITLE: Cody Rhodes(Lineal AEW TNT Champion) (w/Arn Anderson) vs. Sammy Guevara(Interim AEW TNT Champion)- 7.25/10
They’ve started decorating the ramp with ladders like WWE. Uch. They’ve also got both belts hanging, which is silly, as the whole point of this match is that there will only be one champion, and whoever it is will be using Cody’s belt. Having two belts up there gives you no benefit while creating the possibility of a disputed finish where each guy pulls down one belt, so why do it?
There are two referees out here for this match. Why? (Or, rather, why for this match but not for any others?) And don’t give me that “for the safety of the athletes” crap the announcers came up with when Turner got caught on camera yanking the ladder out of the way so the wrestlers could do their spot, because under that same logic, we should have multiple referees in all sorts of gimmick matches, and they should be pulling tables out of the way all the time.
I don’t think doing a Figure Four through the ladder rungs when you’re on the ground the way they were will actually do anything. The pressure is all coming from the legs. I guess it depends how that middle rung was positioned, but we didn’t get a good enough shot to see.
At one point when Cody was slamming a ladder closed on Sammy’s knee, Sammy’s loser friend Fuego del Sol came out to yell at Cody. Apparently he’s a good friend of Cody’s now, too, completely out of nowhere. No word on whether he’s a fake TV friend or one of those “real life friends” that Cody mentioned last week.
He yelled at Cody about something. I thought he was telling him to stop attacking Sammy and just go get the belt, and Cody complied… but then Fuego followed him into the ring and kept yelling at him and started to point at Sammy. Cody responded to this by assaulting Fuego, and who could possibly blame him?
These guys did some big spots and the match was paced very well, but Sammy’s selling (or lack thereof) brought this down for me. He never sold his legs except at the exact moments that Cody was working them over, and there were too many times where he took a big move, stayed down for a bit, and then just popped up, fully healed, like a video game character who had died and re-spawned.
The booking here is also quite suspect. Sammy got the win, which makes one wonder why they took the title off of him in the first place. The only reason I can think of is that the plan was to do something like the Fuego spot and argue that that cost Cody the match and have Cody get angry about it, but if the idea is to turn Cody heel (and that really seems to be the only reason to have Cody lose a belt and get angry about it), the way they did this works against that, because Fuego really had no business coming out in the first place (what Cody was doing to Sammy didn’t feel anywhere near excessive) and he certainly had no business following Cody into the ring and trying to distract him. Telling us that Fuego is Cody’s friend and having Cody attack him the way he did seems like it should be a heel thing, too, but because of the context of the situation, it really isn’t (and even the announcers all agreed that Fuego deserved what he got).

TEAM TAZ PROMO- good
This was filmed outside, and Hobbs wasn’t wearing much in the way of winter gear, which I guess makes him look tough. Or maybe stupid. We’ll find out if he has to get pulled from any matches due to frostbite or pneumonia.
Starks accepted Jay Lethal’s challenge from a few weeks ago, and cut a promo on Dante Martin.

HANDICAP MATCH: Wardlow (w/Shawn Spears) vs. Two Jobbers- no rating, dull segment
The point of this was for us all to see how much Wardlow’s home town loves him, but did you really need to put him against jobbers to do that? The guy was just in the Top Five and almost beat CM Punk (and supposedly would have if MJF hadn’t demanded that he beat Punk down more, but really that wasn’t what cost Wardlow the match so much as him hesitating and arguing with MJF about doing so for no discernable reason). Can’t we book him against, I don’t know, someone who at least appears on TV occasionally? Why not beat one of the seventy-three Dark Order geeks?
After the match Spears attempted to “steal Wardlow’s glory,” according to Excalibur, which he was somehow going to accomplish by using a chair on the jobbers Wardlow had already destroyed. How does that steal Wardlow’s glory?
For equally unexplained reasons, Wardlow didn’t want Spears to beat up the jobbers he just beat. Spears, despite being a jerk, decided to be diplomatic this time and not do the thing he had done in about six previous weeks, even though Wardlow didn’t like it then, either. I love (read as: “despise”) how the diplomatic intelligence of the characters in this story seems to appear and disappear based on whether or not the booker decides that this is a week where the story will escalate or a week where it will de-escalate.

I got a kick out of the sign in the front row pointing out that Cleveland doesn’t have a beach, so how can this show be “Beach Break?” Beach Break is a pretty dumb name, by the way.

DANIEL GARCIA & 2.0 vs. THE INNER CIRCLE (Chris Jericho & LAX)-4.75/10
The announcers are hammering home that being part of the Inner Circle hasn’t resulted in LAX getting any title shots for a long time, but I don’t see any evidence to show that the two facts are related. I don’t ever recall a time when it felt like they were on a roll but got dragged into Inner Circle business, or them being in a #1 contendership match and some enemy of someone else in the Inner Circle interfering to screw them out of a title shot, or even them winding up in a #1 contendership match the week after a big Inner Circle match and some injury they suffered the previous week costing them the match. If they have been on a roll and haven’t gotten a title shot, their beef should be with Tony Khan, not Jericho. He’s their friend, not their manager whose job it is to politick and advocate to management for them. Combine this with the fact that- as I pointed out last week- their accusations of him not having their back fall flat to me because there have been an equal number of times where they haven’t come out to help him (and where the same has happened between other members of the Inner Circle), so they’re just as guilty of being bad friends as Jericho and thus don’t have a leg to stand on, and you wind up with a storyline that really doesn’t make any sense.
Excalibur tried to claim that this match was LAX “fighting the boss’ battles,” but as they said last week, they were also in this for Kingston. In fact, to back up my previous point, they didn’t start getting involved with 2.0 until 2.0’s brawl Eddie Kingston happened to spill backstage right in front of Ortiz, and this took place AFTER 2.0 had first gotten involved with Jericho, so that’s actually them not having Jericho’s back (Jericho got involved with 2.0 in late December and was injured on 12/1. LAX first got involved with 2.0 in the backstage brawl with Kingston o 12/8).
But, of course, the story they want to tell is one of dissension, so all of a sudden there is dissension in the ranks. And that extends to the ring, where they won’t tag Jericho in so Jericho steals a tag meant for the other guy, and later gets offended when Ortiz choose to make the hot tag to Santana rather than to him.
They were still able to win, though, which just makes 2.0 look even worse than they already do. Jericho hit a Judas Effect on Matt Lee before Santana hit a piledriver for the win, and then Jericho got annoyed and left.

LANCE ARCHER VS. ADAM PAGE VIDEO PACKAGE- bad
In two weeks Page will defend the title against Lance in a Texas Deathmatch. Yes, really. One attack and one brawl, and we’re just jumping straight to a deathmatch. Why? Because Archer wanted one, and Hangman said “okay.” Remember when Moxley and Omega were smashing each other with things that Tony Khan told them that the only way they could have a weapons match was if it was unsanctioned because he didn’t want things to get too violent? LOL.
And speaking of unsanctioned matches, Adam Cole apparently hates Orange Cassidy so much that he demanded a Lights Out match against him… but he doesn’t hate him enough that he wasn’t willing to stand there, face to face with him so that AEW could take a promotional video. Yes, really. “Detail Guy” Tony Khan strikes again.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS JURASSIC EXPRESS, CHRISTIAN CAGE, MATT HARDY, & PRIVATE PARTY- mostly bad
Apparently Private Party are getting a tag title shot on Rampage. The internet also tells me that they are the top-ranked team in the division. I don’t even remember the last time I saw them win a match. Cagematch.net tells me it was the December 29th TV show. Before that, their last televised win was AUGUST 11TH. And it’s not like they haven’t been on TV since then. They’ve been losing.
Also, if these guys are getting their title shot on Rampage, why are we having them all together for an interview now? Doesn’t Mark Henry usually do that right before the match?
Christian bordered on being an arrogant heel. I’m sure that was on purpose, but there was barely a point to him even talking. Matt cut a good promo hyping up his guys… and then someone decided that we needed to end this with “comedy,” with Jungle Boy accusing Marq Quen of wearing a fake fancy watch. So either it’s dumb comedy, or Private Party aren’t actually the rich party boys they’re supposed to be, killing their gimmick… for no gain.

CM PUNK PROMO- decent
Punk came out in his gear and a zip-up hoodie, “dressed to fight,” as Excalibur put it. He says mean things about MJF and calls him out. I thought the line about “owing Cleveland one” was nice. I know this is a completely weird thing to say because it’s totally not necessary for Punk to apologize for what was essentially him walking out due to a mental health issue, it is an acknowledgement that he did, in fact, disappoint some people by not showing up for a show where people very likely bought tickets at least in part to see him, and it was an attempt (at least in kayfabe) to give back to them. To make amends without the need to apologize, if that makes sese.
MJF came out and cut a promo on Punk and on Cleveland. They’re apparently going to have their match next week, rather than on PPV. They traded words. It was pretty good, but not great. MJF had some of his guys come out and distract Punk so Shawn Spears could attack him from behind. They all ran in and started to beat on Punk. Did it really take MJF a month to remember that he has a big group of dudes he could send after Punk?
They beat the crap out of Punk and Spears attacked him with a chair. No one came out to help Punk. Not even security, who will often run in to break up brawls. So you’re telling me that security will run in to break up an even fight, but won’t run in to stop a gang-beating?
Wardlow stood and watched, not attacking Punk, but not helping him, either. MJF ordered Wardlow to powerbomb Punk… and JR got all upset that MJF was making Wardlow do this instead of the other three lackeys. What is Ross’ issue here? It’s not like Wardlow and Punk are friends, and MJF is doing this as some sort of psychological torture to Wardlow or try to destroy their bond of friendship and bring Wardlow more under his control. Why does it matter to Ross who powerbombs a helpless and beaten-down CM Punk?
Excalibur said that Wardlow’s powerbombs are stronger, and Ross responded by agreeing, but lamenting “but you’ve got three guys there, for G-d’s sake.” So by Ross’ logic, shouldn’t he be happy that Punk is getting powerbombed by just one very strong man rather than taking a powerbomb with three people’s worth of force behind it?
Wardlow was reluctant, but did it anyway (onto a chair). What reason does Wardlow have to be reluctant? This makes no sense! Wardlow can be angry at MJF, but not powerbombing Punk isn’t going to get back at MJF in any way, because there are three other guys there who are willing to- and in fact, already have- beat the crap out of Punk.
MJF sat down cross-legged on Punk’s chest and hit his final line, which was a tremendous bit.

THE ACCLAIMED PROMO- very good
Anthony Bowens faces Moxley on Rampage, and The Acclaimed reminded us why there is a grudge there.
TONY SCHIAVONE’S INTERVIEW WITH JULIA HART & GRIFF GARRISON IS INTERRUPTED BY MARK STERLING- bad
Sterling is in a neck brace for some reason. He shows up with a contract to give Julia TBS Title shot, so long as she signs a waiver. Shouldn’t AEW’s legal people be handling that? I figure AEW is the one who could be sued, not Jade. And why is Tony even letting Jade offer a title shot to 1) someone who isn’t even in the top five, and 2) is CLEARLY Jade trying to set herself up against an easy challenger?
Griff doesn’t think this is a good idea, but Julia tells him “I can fight my own battles.” I’m not really sure how that answer makes sense here. He’s not offering to wrestle the match for her. He’s just saying “maybe you should wait until you’re not suffering from a major depth perception issue.”
(For those of you wondering how Julia could possibly be medically cleared if she still needs to wear an eye-patch, I’m not saying that’s an invalid question, but I will point out that Moxley wrestled in AEW with one, so it’s clearly something AEW’s doctors are okay with.)

LEYLA HIRSCH vs. RED VELVET- 4.75/10
These are the top two ranked contenders in the division, and I can’t remember the last time I saw either of them win.
When Leyla got her finisher, the Legit Lock” locked in, Ross insisted on saying “if you want to call it a ‘Cross Armbreaker’ you can, because that’s what it is.” He can’t possibly be thinking he’s helping anyone by saying this, can he? We don’t need him to explain to us that it’s a submission hold because it’s a pretty well-known move at this point, and even if it wasn’t, it has “LOCK” in the name. All he’s doing is giving us some other name to remember and diverting attention AWAY from the name the wrestler is trying to get over. And I know he knows that this isn’t helpful, because I never once remember hearing him react to Steve Austin hitting a Stone Cold Stunner by telling us that we can call it a Three-Quarter Facelock Jawbreaker” if we want to, nor do I ever remember hearing him give us permission to refer to the Tombstone Piledriver as a Kneeling Belly-to-Belly Piledriver, or the Pedigree as a Kneeling Double-Underhook Facebuster, or the FU as a Fireman’s Carry Slam.
I thought that match was very good for the time it got. That Stunner out of the corner looked TREMENDOUS. That running knee strike… not so much (although I think a lot of the issue there was that they chose an absolutely terrible angle to cut to, where it wound up completely exposing the lack of contact, so it’s the director’s fault, not the wrestlers’). If I were booking this, though, and Red Velvet was going to lose the way she was, I would have told her not to do her goofy taunt before trying for the move that got reversed into the winning cradle. It made her look like an idiot, even if Leyla had a handful of tights… which I’m not really even sure what that’s illegal on a pin, as wrestlers grab the tights all the time for moves like a vertical suplex and no one seems to care.

POST-MATCH SEGMET- bad
Leyla attacked Red Velvet after the match, seemingly for no reason other than to give Kris Statlander and excuse to run out. Statlander wanted to get her hands on Leyla so badly that she chased her around the ring… and then just stopped at the base of the ramp, so I guess she didn’t really want to get her hands on Leyla that badly. Is it really that hard to just have Statlander chase Leyla to the back?

HOUSE OF BLACK PROMO- very good
They’re apparently the #5 contenders after a grand total of ONE WIN, over the team whose storyline is that everything is going wrong for them. Also, why are they the “House of Black” in promos, but the “Kings of the Black Throne” in matches?
Okay, so they like to create conflict because they think they are serving the crowd, and thus will win followers, or something like that. Brody King says that when he’s done beating Pac up, Pac will realize that their teachings are true and join them.

SAMMY GUEVARA CUE CARD PROMO- snore
I don’t know why AEW thinks these are better than having him actually talk. He took some shots at Cody for supposedly politicking. Do you think it has even occurred to Tony Khan and the whole brain-trust that the only way Cody would able to politic for things he doesn’t deserve is if management is either complicit in his politicking or negligently ignorant of him manipulating them?

DR. BRITT BAKER, DMD, CELEBRATES GETTING AWARDS FROM PWI- what the f*ck?
Schiavone is in the ring, but her stooges are missing. Since she and Cole become an on-screen pairing, her lackeys have completely disappeared. Because that doesn’t feel artificial at all.
Speaking of missing, Britt came out dressed in Penguins gear, and the crowd somehow didn’t realize she was about to insult their local sports team. Now Britt is talking about how she’s better than everyone in the division- a sure invitation for a babyface to come out… and instead of chanting for Statlander or Anna Jay or Hikaru Shida, the crowd is doing sports chants. And she kept going back to it, too. It hit the point where I was wondering if AEW had signed Baker Mayfield’s wife and she was going to come out and challenge Britt to a match.
Apparently Dr. Baker had a “broken wrist” for a chunk of 2021. I don’t remember that ever coming up at all.
She claimed to have been the first woman signed to AEW, but I’m pretty sure that’s false, as Brandi is an EVP and has been from the beginning.
Anyway, she went through all of her egotistical heel ranting… and no one interrupted her. She just dropped the mic and left.
Also, it was very nice of her to avoid mentioning that she had never main evented an AEW PPV while she was running down the list of things she had been the first woman to main event. I can’t imagine that wasn’t intentional, as it’s probably not something they want a spotlight shone on.

FTR VS. BROCK ANDERSON & LEE JOHNSON INTERVIEW FROM TWO WEEKS AGO RECAO- Oh yeah. This match. The one that was supposed to happen last week, but just never happened. Could you not even come up with a kayfabe reason for why?
For those of you who need a reminder, this match is happening… because FTR suggested that Johnson and Anderson answer their open challenge.

VICKIE GUERRERO & NYLA ROSE PROMO- very good, but…
Nyla comes out and claims that the only reason she isn’t the TBS Champion right now is that Ruby Soho beat her on a fluke. She says that she’d beat Ruby 99 times out of 100, and she wants the chance to prove it by beating Ruby next week. If they get time, that could be quite good, as I think Ruby is at her best as a babyface against a larger opponent.
I like Nyla’s heel promo style because I think she does a great job of coming off as a completely unlikable person, but the issue here is that match happened OVER A MONTH AGO, and she is just complaining about it now. It feels like Nyla kept her angry all bottled up inside until a time when starting the feud would be convenient for the booker, and any time a character seems to be doing something just to service the needs of the booker, that’s a failure of storytelling. I’m all for trying to feature different people but the TV time used for the Hirsch/Statlander feud over the past few weeks would have been better to us to build up Ruby vs. Nyla. Hirsch/Statlander was not a story with only a certain window in which you could pull the trigger on it. This feud (or even this match if it’s just a one-off) was.

LIGHTS OUT MATCH: Adam Cole vs. Orange Cassidy- 4.5/10
OC took his glasses off and broke them, then charged at Cole. That kind of symbolism is cute, but it really doesn’t work for me if forty seconds earlier OC purposely turned his back to Cole in order to do his usual entrance stuff in the middle of the ring.
They wind up on the outside early, and OC hates Adam Cole so much and is taking this match so seriously that he takes the time to put his hands in his pockets before going for a running dropkick, forcing him to run slower than he would be otherwise, meaning that not only will he have less force behind his blow, but also that Cole will have a split second or two more to move out of the way. And just like that, the grand symbolic gesture is completely undone. You can’t say “I hate you so much that I’m not going to do my schtick against you” and the proceed to do your shtick a minute later!
Cole went to grab a chair from under the ring, and f*cking DANHAUSEN has been hiding under the ring the whole show, apparently clutching the chair. Because that was something that needed to happen in a violet deathmatch. I almost shut the show off.
I checked the internet, and Tony Khan apparently stopped watching this grudge deathmatch that he booked in order to Tweet out that Danhausen had signed with AEW. If the owner of the company can’t even pay attention to the match enough to not go on Twitter during it, why should anyone else?
Jim Ross said that this match being unsanctioned means that only the winner would be paid. How does that make any sense? If it’s not a sanctioned AEW match, then they shouldn’t be getting paid at all, and there certainly shouldn’t be a purse on the line. “We won’t sanction this match, but we’ll give the winner an official payday?” LOL.
Cole eventually called for help, and people took turns coming out for the two teams, though Kyle O’Reilly, Britt Baker, and Kris Statlander were all absent. Cole went for a low blow but OC had a cup with thumbtacks on. Why don’t the wrestlers wear cups all the time?
OC was in control after Cole hit his cup, so OC started doing his dumb slow kick shtick. In a deathmatch.
Cole tried to run away and they fought in the back. They wound up on the stage where Cole climbed up the set, apparently to set up a Panama Sunrise. I’m sorry, but jumping down from that heigh in order to jump up again and hit the move would wind up hurting Cole’s knees and feet on the landing to the point where him jumping up to do the Canadian Destroyer part would be ridiculous, and there wouldn’t be any extra momentum to be gained from the jump because unlike the canvas of the ring, THE METAL STAGE DOESN’T SPRING.
Anyway, OC followed Cole up without Cole or anyone else noticing, and hit him in the nuts from behind. Then he waited for Cole to get up, and gave him a hug. The hatred was so intense it was tangible. From me, I mean. Not from them. They shared a goofy look, and despite his trying, Cole was apparently unable to break OC’s loose-looking grip, even with the story of the match being that OC’s hand is injured (makes you wonder how he managed to climb up that thing, doesn’t it?). Then OC jumped off the stage, pulling Cole with him, and they both fell through the stage.
WHY DIDN’T HE JUST PUSH HIM OFF?!

The referee scrambled over to their pit and counted the three. I’m not convinced that Cole’s shoulders were even down on a flat surface, but whatever. The ref had a better angle than me.
So Adam Cole has now suffered his first loss in AEW. “But it doesn’t count!” you insist. So what? It’s been eleven months and I’m still waiting for Thunder Rosa beating Britt Baker in a match that didn’t count to be relevant.

So yeah. This was a relatively tame gimmick match (especially as compared to what we saw with, say, Blood and Guts, or the match where Cody did the fire spot) with way too much dumb comedy in a match that won’t count in the record books because the guy who was going to lose just happened to want that to be the stipulation for no logical reason.

This was another bad episode of Dynamite. The storytelling and character-work in this company are, for the most part, getting worse and worse, and they’re at the point where they’re now doing gimmick matches just because. If Tony Khan wins “Best Booker” it won’t be because he has been doing a good job, but rather because he has been the least bad.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 1/26/2022 Dynamite (BAD)

Post by cero2k » Jan 28th, '22, 11:07

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 27th, '22, 18:29
Cole went to grab a chair from under the ring, and f*cking DANHAUSEN has been hiding under the ring the whole show, apparently clutching the chair. Because that was something that needed to happen in a violet deathmatch. I almost shut the show off.
it WASN'T a "Violet deathmatch", it was just a match with no rules and in full technicolor. I agree, I also hate Danhausen, but it wasn't his presence that i disliked, i didn't like that he didn't do anything at all, just point and 'curse' Cole, and if that 'curse' actually becomes a thing, theeeen I may shut off the show.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 28th, '22, 11:29

cero2k wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 11:07
it WASN'T a "Violet deathmatch", it was just a match with no rules and in full technicolor.
WRONG. Cole specifically said he wanted this match in order to hurt OC and end his career (he might have even said end his life) because OC hurt Britt Baker.
This was absolutely a violent deathwatch.
And speak for yourself about the technicolor. My internet kept crapping out when I tried to watch bon sling, so I had to transfer the DVR to GHS and hook it up to be an old black-and-white TV with not just rabbit ears, but an entire rabbit running around on a wheel on the inside to power it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 28th, '22, 11:58

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 11:29
it WASN'T a "Violet deathmatch", it was just a match with no rules and in full technicolor.
WRONG. Cole specifically said he wanted this match in order to hurt OC and end his career (he might have even said end his life) because OC hurt Britt Baker.
And speak for yourself about the technicolor. My internet kept crapping out when I tried to watch bon sling, so I had to transfer the DVR to GHS and hook it up to be an old black-and-white TV with not just rabbit ears, but an entire rabbit running around on a wheel on the inside to power it.
lol you missed my joke, i was referencing that you wrote "Violet" instead of "Violent"

But as for the match, I don't know if a 'lights out' match has the same rules as a 'deathmatch' with the addition of not counting on the records. So you may be right in comparing them like that.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 28th, '22, 13:02

cero2k wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 11:58
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 11:29
lol you missed my joke, i was referencing that you wrote "Violet" instead of "Violent"
I got it at the end.
cero2k wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 11:58 But as for the match, I don't know if a 'lights out' match has the same rules as a 'deathmatch' with the addition of not counting on the records. So you may be right in comparing them like that.
They are all big weapons matches. I'm using "deathmatch" generically here. It doesn't matter if one uses Last Man Standing, another uses I Quit or Falls Count Anywhere or just a plain old Street Fight where you have to pin the opponent in the ring. The emotions and reasons behind the match are the same.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation