BRM Reviews the 4/8/2022 Rampage (easily the best one)

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/8/2022 Rampage (easily the best one)

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 10th, '22, 16:36

BRYAN DANIELSON vs. TRENT BERETTA- 8/10
TNT has muted the F in the YGGYFHKI chants. Dragon won an awesome match cleanly. Both men worked the neck.

LEXI INTERVIEWS HOOK- IDIOITC!
He sits there with his headphones in, eating chips and ignoring her. He eventually walked away. Either he is an asshole for agreeing to an interview and then ignoring her, or she is an asshole for bothering someone who clearly didn’t want to be bothered. Dan Hausen popped up out of a garbage can and tried to curse Hook. Hook ignored him and threw his chips in the garbage can Dorkhausen was standing in. Hook walked off. Out-hausen reached down and started eating the chips.

DAN LAMBERT & SCORPIO SKY’S PROMO IS INTERRUPTED BY SAMMY GUEVARA & TAY CONTI- meh
There was lots of yelling happening. The fans all cheered when Ethan Page called Sammy & Tay “a PR disaster waiting to happen.” That’s not a good sign. I also laughed my ass off when, after the subject of fatherhood came out, Page turned to the camera and said, “Gabriella, I know you’re asleep right now because I’m a good-ass parent” (the rest of the line was “I pray to G-d you don’t end up like Tat Conti,” but that part wasn’t anywhere near as funny).
The situation boils down to this: We’re supposed to think that Scorpio Sky is doing a bad thing by not given out titles shots as if they were Halloween candy, so Sammy wants a title shot to save the prestige of the title. This situation has not changed since the belt changed hands. It seems to me that the simple solution here is for Tony Khan to book a f*cking match! And if Tony doesn’t think Sammy deserves a title shot then 1) Sammy should try to win some other matches so he can earn a title shot, and 2) Tony should book Scorpio Sky against someone else so that the belt doesn’t suffer a prolonged period of inactivity.

CHRIS JERICHO’S SPORTS ENTERTAINER OF THE WEEK- Comedy crap to put over Q.T. Marshall.

SHANE STRICKLAND vs. Q.T. MARSHALL (w/the Factory)- 4.5/10
Strickland won cleanly. After the match, Ricky Starks got up from the commentary table and challenged Strickland and Keith Lee to face Team Taz in a tag match on Dynamite.

MARINA SHAFIR VIDEO- dull
They showed some highlights, then she said “Jade, I’m begging you to solve me.”

OWEN HART FOUNDATION WOMEN’S TOURNAMENT QUALIFIER: Willow Nightengale vs. Red Velvet- 4/10
Willow earned this spot with her showing in her loss at Supercard of Honor 2022. Can we maybe put the woman who beat her in that match in the tournament?
Red Velvet won clean.

HOLY F*CK SAMOA JOE VS. MINORU SUZUKI IS HAPPENING ON DYNAMITE NEXT WEEK!

LEXI INTERVIEWS TONY NESE- meh
Nese is upset that Lexi didn’t introduce him enthusiastically enough. Mark Sterling showed up and offered to take Nese on as a client. I love Tony Nese in the ring, but he is a perfect example of someone AEW does not need to be wasting bandwidth on.

MARK HENRY INTERVIEWS THE PEOPLE IN THE MAIN EVENT- AWESOME!
Both Moxley and YUTA were awesome.

WHEELER YUTA vs. JON MOXLEY- 9/10
YUTA took the fight to Moxley from the beginning and bled all over the place and survived multiple Paradigm Shifts and just kept coming and coming until he finally succumbed to a bulldog choke. After the match, the Blackpool Combat Club accept him (though I really could have done without the pointless swerve of Regal moving around and snarling as though he was going to attack YUTA first).
Tony Khan accurately described this on Twitter as a star-making performance. Now it’s on the booking to not drop the ball on this… and I’m a little worried, because I don’t really see anywhere for YUTA to go unless they’re going to start making ROH Pure Title matches a thing on AEW TV.

This was a fantastic episode of Dynamite due to the awesome wrestling.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3