BRM Reviews the 6/10/2022 Rampage

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/10/2022 Rampage

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 13th, '22, 20:42

EDDIE KINGSTON vs. JAKE HAGER- 7.5/10
An excellent FIGHT.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS BRITT BAKER & PALS- meh
She’s upset that Toni Storm touched her Owen Hart Women’s Tournament Title last week, so I guess these groups are going to keep feuding, because G-d forbid Toni Storm do something else.
Dr. Baker also referred to her belt as the world title, but later acknowledged that she wasn’t the world champion and vowed to win that title back, so I assume her first statement was just a mistake rather than something purposely said to further storyline, but either way, one of her two statements was wrong, and this is a taped show, so there is no excuse for not having her redo the promo.

ORTIZ PROMO- He did the best job he could, but the issue with this whole story is that at no point has Jericho’s hair ever been established as being particularly important to him, so it’s really hard for me to care about him losing it (or about Ortiz keeping his, for the same reason).

DAVEY VEGA & MAT FITCHETT vs. JAY LETHAL & SATNNAM SINGH (w/Sonjay Dutt)- fine squash
Singh did very little.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- They beat the jobbers up just because. I suppose this was intended to establish the Whirlybird/Eye of the Storm/whatever else you call it a big move of his. Or maybe I’m reading too much into that and it was just a random move he is able to do.

EARLIER TODAY, LEXI NAIR ATTEMPTED TO INTERVIEW HOOKHAUSEN- dumb
They have new motorized non-car transports. Dorkhausen was a clown.

KRIS STATLANDER vs. RED VELVET (w/Stokely Hathaway, Jade Cargill, & Kiera Hogan)- 5.5/10
More bullsh*t from Excalibur about his nebulous “change” in Statlander that we have seen no kayfabe evidence of. (Yes, I realize the supposed change is that she’s not pretending to be an alien anymore, but they haven’t said that, because to say that would be to admit that her gimmick was stupid and they ran with it for a long time, and as we’ve learned, Tony Khan really doesn’t like to admit that he has made a mistake).
Statlander outpowered Red Velvet until her injured knee got clipped. Red Velvet worked the knee over, but Statlander came back and got the win.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- face-palmingly stupid
Kiera Hogan attacked Statlander. The heels beat Statlander up. Anna Jay came out to help Statlander but she also got beaten up three on one. Out came Athena… and there was a herd of referees in place to restrain her. Yup. They didn’t try to stop the post-match attack and didn’t try to stop Anna Jay from running in. They were only there to prevent physicality between the champion and the person the booker is building up for a title shot.

MIRO VIDEO PACKAGE- good
This was the same one we saw on Dynamite.

LEXI NAIR INTERVIEWS ETHAN PAGE (& SCORPIO SKY & DAN LAMBERT)- fine

MARK HENRY INTERVIEWS THE PEOPLE IN THE MAIN EVENT- meh

TRENT BERETTA & FTR vs. UNITED EMPIRE (Will Ospreay & Aussie Open) (w/Aaron Henare)- 8/10
Awesome action, but Trent getting the win (and especially in United Empire’s first match) was absolutely baffling.

A good episode of Rampage, with the great in-ring action overcoming the negative of… well…everything else.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/10/2022 Rampage

Post by XIV » Jun 13th, '22, 22:29

Prediction. Jericho is going to lose and lose his hair.
Jericho prides himself on thinking he's the master of reinvention, and whilst maybe 6-7 years ago that was true, he isn't as great at it any more. But, Jericho also cares about what people think on Twitter. After a year of people calling him fat and overweight on the internet, he finally cut weight and got back into decent shape for a 50+ year old. These days, people target his failing hairline, so I predict instead of building a story around intrigue and make people care, he's rushed into Tony's office with an idea and gone with it in a more rushed manner against a mediocre opponent. Jericho vs Regal in a hair vs hair match with the right build could have been something. but it's wasted. But I still believe Jericho loses.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/10/2022 Rampage

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 14th, '22, 07:07

XIV wrote: Jun 13th, '22, 22:29 Prediction. Jericho is going to lose and lose his hair.
Jericho prides himself on thinking he's the master of reinvention, and whilst maybe 6-7 years ago that was true, he isn't as great at it any more. But, Jericho also cares about what people think on Twitter. After a year of people calling him fat and overweight on the internet, he finally cut weight and got back into decent shape for a 50+ year old. These days, people target his failing hairline, so I predict instead of building a story around intrigue and make people care, he's rushed into Tony's office with an idea and gone with it in a more rushed manner against a mediocre opponent. Jericho vs Regal in a hair vs hair match with the right build could have been something. but it's wasted. But I still believe Jericho loses.
This seems sound to me.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3