BRM Reviews the 11/9/2022 Dynamite

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 11/9/2022 Dynamite

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 11th, '22, 01:25

FTR & THE ACCLAIMED vs. SHANE STRICKLAND, KEITH LEE, AUSTIN GUNN, & COLTEN GUNN (w/W. Morrisey)- 7/10
Billy Gunn charged out during the Acclaimed’s entrance and tackled Strickland, but everyone pulled him off, and BJ Whitmer send him to the back.
Taz still has not learned the meaning of the phrase “sacrificial lamb.”
We got a painfully forced face-off spot between FTR and the Acclaimed (and happening right before a commercial break made it even worse). Other than that one spot, this was exactly what you’d expect from an eight-man tag in the opener, providing a bunch of action for people to pop for, and showing us that Lee and Strickland can work together despite Lee clearly being uncomfortable with a lot of what Strickland has done recently.

MJF PROMO FROM A SPORTS PODCAST- TREMENDOUS!
He said he didn’t want to comment on the Firm attacking him, then built up the PPV main event. This was an interesting window into what a babyface MJF promo would be like.

STOKELY HATHAWAY VIDEO- “Win, lose or draw, at Full Gear, I’ll see you in hell, Max.” That line alone has me convinced that MJF will be a heel by the end of the PPV.

AEW WORLD TITLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Ethan Page (w/Stokely Hathaway) vs. Eddie Kingston (w/Ortiz)- 6.75/10
Another very good match. Kingston got the submission win but the referee was distracted. Page came back and won with an Avalanche Splash Mountain Powerbomb.

RENEE PAQUETTE INTERVIEWS JOSE THE ASSISTANT AND RUSH, WHO HAVE ALSO REQUESTED THAT THE DARK ORDER BE THERE- fine
Jose said that Rush will win the eliminator tournament, then win the world title, and then give 10 the first title shot because 10 impressed him so much. Rush said that 10 should consider this, because he doesn’t give second chances. John Silver called Rush a “Rush-bag.”
Every time this storyline shows up, it makes me roll me eyes. How could anyone possibly care about any of these guys? And why is Rush so high on 10? If it were Darby Allin or Wheeler YUTA or Daniel Garcia, or anyone we had actually seen get built up on TV as a big prospect, that one would be one thing, but it’s not. It’s 10. He barely wrestles on TV, and when he does, he doesn’t win often.

ARI DAIVARI OFFERS WARDLOW THE SERVICES OF HIS BUTLER IF WARDLOW GIVES HIM A TNT TITLE SHOT- Daivari did a good job here with the purposely phony sales pitch.
Then Wardlow came out and we were told that this was an “open challenge” for the TNT Title. If it’s an open challenge, why does Daivari feel the need to offer Wardlow something in exchange for the title shot?

AEW TNT TITLE MATCH: Wardlow(c) (w/Samoa Joe) vs. Ari Daivari (w/his butler)- no rating, bad segment
While Wardlow was on his way to the ring, the announcers hyped up his feud with Will Hobbs, including showing us footage from Friday and saying that Hobbs clearly wants a title shot. So Rampage ended with Hobbs wanting a shot at Wardlow’s title and Wardlow wanting to fight Hobbs… and Tony Khan sees this and decides that on Dynamite he’s going to book Wardlow to defend his title in an open challenge instead of booking him against Hobs? In kayfabe, Tony is a terrible booker. A case of art imitating life, I guess.
Being a total piece of sh*t human being, Wardlow assaulted Daivari’s butler for absolutely no reason. Wardlow then squashed a nobody who had done nothing to earn a title shot. Then Wardlow disrespected his opponent by kicking him around after the match for no reason. And don’t tell me he’s upset because Will Hobbs attacked him. That was over a week ago. If he was so f*cking angry about it, he should have run up the ramp and tried to attack Hobbs when Hobbs showed up on the stage after his match on Rampage? It’s sloppiness like this that annoys me so much.

Wardlow grabbed a microphone and called out Hobbs. Hobbs came out onto the ramp, and Wardlow said “finally I have a suitable opponent for my title.” Again… in kayfabe, Tony Khan is a sh*tty booker.
Sounding more and more like a crazy person by the moment, Wardlow insisted that the TNT Title “will always be mine!” Then he said he’d take every title in the company. This coming from the guy who said he didn’t want the Interim AEW World Championship just a few months ago.
Samoa apparently didn’t like this idea enough that he hit Wardlow in the head from behind with his title belt. Or at least I assume he did. He reared back…and then the camera cut to show us Hobbs just walking down the ramp, and when they went back to ring, Wardlow was down. That is a pathetically bush-league production f*ck up.
Joe started to choke Wardlow out. Excalibur said that we have “seen the tensions rising between Wardlow and Samoa Joe for weeks.” When? Joe and Hobbs jawed at each other a bit, then joe stormed off.
This turn is absolutely mind-boggling. Aside from this coming completely out of nowhere, we haven’t even gotten a Wardlow vs. Hobbs match yet and now it feels completely unimportant when compared with Wardlow vs. Joe. You also lose Joe as a potential babyface to challenge Jericho (although that thought is now making me wonder why Joe hasn’t been opposing Jericho already. He’s a big name in ROH with a lot of history in the company and is a freakin’ current champion. You’d think he would be upset with Jericho, but apparently not).

RENEE PAQUETTE INTERVIEWS JADE CARGILL & THE BADDIES- good promo by Jade, TERRIBLE storyline!
Nyla has been walking around with Jade’s stolen belt for a month. Nyla is now getting a title shot at the PPV. Jade says she’ll get her belt back, and disrupt the “open challenge” Nyla is offering on Rampage. Why is Nyla being allowed to do an open challenge for a stolen title? Then they put up a graphic for the PPV match, which lists Jade as the TBS Champion and Nyla as the “TBS Champion” in quotes. Why is the company indulging this thief in f*cking graphics?

TONY SCHIAVONE HOSTS AN IN-RING FACE-TO-FACE BETWEEN BRITT BAKER AND SARAYA- bad… unless this was supposed to be a double-turn
Saraya announced that she is cleared to wrestle, then declared AEW to be her house. Dr. Baker then made some very convincing points that Saraya claiming that AEW is her house is completely ridiculous, because she didn’t do a damn thing to build it.
Saraya responded by saying that Britt was “handed your position by Tony Khan” and was “fed a bunch of Q.T.’s trainees.” YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO PRETEND IT’S F*CKING REAL, YOU MORON! Didn’t you grow up in a wrestling family? I would have loved it if Britt had responded “you got handed your position by Triple H and were fed a bunch of Sara Del Rey and Bill Demott’s trainees.”
Saraya listed a bunch of hardships she had faced trying to “make it” in wrestling, and said that Britt had no idea what it takes to “make it.” Saraya is supposed to be the babyface, and she’s standing here saying that the biggest star in the division and one of AEW’s biggest home-grown stars hasn’t “made it” yet. Then she talked about “starting revolutions” and wrestling in MSG and the O2 and the Tokyo Dome, and said that Britt was an “ungrateful bitch.” She is coming across like the asshole veteran who thinks they deserve to be worshipped by the younger generation, with a dose of WWE propaganda throw in. And they think she’s a babyface!
She kept going, talking about how she very publicly battled a drug addiction. That’s amazing. But that does not degrade the accomplishments of someone else just because they haven’t had that experience. She said that she has given her career and her neck for the business. Again… that doesn’t degrade someone who hasn’t face such a critical injury yet.
Saraya is so focused on herself and so intent on seeing Britt has spoiled that it hasn’t even occurred to her that Britt hasn’t faced her own hardships that Saraya just doesn’t know about. Because while Britt might not have injured her neck, she did have to have major knee surgery. And I think it’s pretty ridiculous of Saraya to assume that Britt hasn’t had to deal with sexism. Or have some personal demon of her own she has had to overcome.
Anyway, Saraya announced that hey would wrestle at Full Gear. Britt tried to attack her, but Saraya laid Britt out with the RamSaraya.

JAY LETHAL’S CREW AND THE FACTORY ARE BACKSTAGE EARLIER TODAY-
Jeff Jarrett isn’t there. He wasn’t even mentioned. Lethal paid Cole Karter for impersonating Sting. Q.T. took a cut of the money.
Orange Cassidy, Best Friends, and Danhausen happened to be walking by. Danhausen said something stupid. Q.T. proposed that Orange Cassidy defend the All-Atlantic Championship against Lee Johnson. Wasn’t Lee Johnson the one who massively disrespected Q.T. by not thanking him for training him? Wasn’t he the student who sided with Cody? Why is he in the Factory now?
Trent then insulted Lethal and his friends, which set up…

TRENT BERETTA vs. JAY LETHAL (w/Satnam Singh & Sonjay Dutt)- 6/10
Lethal assaulted Trent from behind during his entrance and took out his knee. Tony Schiavone- the announcer who has been tasked with calling out Chris Jericho’s “systematic cheating”- was perfectly fine with this.
Trent’s friends eventually came out to ringside to support him. You’d think they’d have run in to help during the pre-match attack, but apparently not. Lethal worked the knee and got the win, but not before we worked in a stupid comedy spot for Danhausen.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS JAY LETHAL, SONJAY DUTT, & SATNAM SINGH- bad
Sonjay grabbed the microphone and acted like an annoying clown. He brought Jeff Jarrett out. Yes, the same Jeff Jarrett who last week jumped the barricade, attacked a wrestler, insulted the company, and then announced his intention to commit murders… and apparently he’s allowed to just wander around backstage.
Jeff Jarrett claimed that Sonjay Dutt had an IQ of 181.
“I will not make a joke about Jeff Jarrett being a dumb hick who can’t count.”

He claimed said that Satnam was not a “make-believe monster who wears red skinny-jeans and is produced by the banana-nosed circus.”
He said that they were going to do to Sting what they did to Darby Allin last week… so Jeff Jarrett and Sting are feuding. Does Tony Khan not realize the kind of stigma certain things from TNA have?
Jeff Jarrett got upset because some stagehand told him to wrap it up, and so he tried to attack the poor man. Didn’t they do this same thing with Stokely Hathaway a few weeks ago? (Now that I think about it, that’s another instance of the Blackpool Combat Club not caring when a non-wrestler was assaulted…and then they came out on Rampage and said that an attack on a non-wrestler was a red line for them that someone must be punished for crossing).

RENEE PAQUETTE INTERVIEWS JUNGLE BOY- meh
He says that Christian and Luchasaurus don’t get to decide when their feud with him ends. He said he had a challenge for them for Full Gear, but he’ll tell them what is on Rampage because he wants to tell them face to face.

JON MOXLEY PROMO- AWESOME
He said that MJF wore a “fake diamond ring.” This would be the ring that MJF won, which AEW had put up as a prize. Did AEW put up a fake diamond ring? Other than that line and getting MJF’s home town (and even home state) wrong, this was an excellent promo to build up to the PPV.

ELITE VIDEO- fine

BRYAN DANIELSON VS. SAMMY GUEVARA VIDEO PACKAGE- great (mostly for Danielson’s promo)

JAMIE HAYTER (w/Rebel & Dr. Britt Baker, DMD) vs. Skye Blue (w/Toni Storm)- 5/10
A jobber like Skye Blue should not have gotten anywhere near this much offense in on someone getting a PPV title shot in less than two weeks.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- snore
Hayter attacked Skye Blue after the match so that Toni Storm could chase her away so that we could have “build” for the PPV.

DANTE MARTIN VS. BRIAN CAGE VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

ALEX MARVEZ FIND LANCE ARCHER BEATING UP RICKY STARKS BACKSTAGE- snore
Archer is still doing the same thing he was doing two years ago, and still has the same lack of direction. The creative genius of Tony Khan is a wonder to behold.

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS MATCH: Bryan Danielson vs. Sammy Guevara (w/Tay Melo)- 8/10
William Regal was on commentary for this match.
Sammy got himself DQed early on for the first fall, but they did it a lot differently than normal. Dragon’s head got worked over, but he fought back and won.

Darby Allin & Sting vs. Jay Lethal & Jeff Jarrett has been added to Full Gear.

There was some great wrestling on this show, and two excellent promos from Moxley and MJF, but the poor booking continues to drag it down. I can’t believe Tony Khan let Saraya go out there and say those things. Still, I think that overall, the good stuff outweighed the bad, simply by being so damn good. It was close, though.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Excalibur claimed that Bryan Danielson’s detached retina “kept him out of action for the better part of a year.”
He was back challenging for the ROH World Title on a PPV taping three weeks later.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3