BRM Reviews the 1/6/2023 Rampage

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/6/2023 Rampage

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 9th, '23, 14:26

TOP FLIGHT vs. BLACKPOOL COMBAT CLUB (Jon Moxley & Bryan Danielson)- 8/10
Only Moxley got an entrance, and that seemed to be just so he could get dived onto by one of the Martins to jumpstart the match. The other Martin soon appeared on the outside for unknown reasons, and Danielson dove onto both of them, but they caught him and threw him into the barricade.
This was a very exciting professional wrestling match, but at this point I think Top Flight is being hurt more than helped. The “oh my gosh, look how tough these youngsters are” has diminishing returns, and Top Flight have now lost multiple times in a tag team match to a pair of singles wrestlers. Danielson again was a dick after the match, keeping a submission locked in longer than necessary and smirking.

Excalibur framed Bryan Danielson’s current story with MJF where he has to win for the next five weeks to earn a title shot as his “journey through the top five.” Are you really telling me that Danielson isn’t ranked, but Takeshita is?

ADAM PAGE PROMO- bad
Once again, he didn’t come off well. If you’ve got good news from the doctor, don’t go out and say “if I didn’t like what it said, I was just going to attack you anyway.” Page is back to coming off as needlessly aggressive, to the point of being heelish.
Anyway, Page is cleared, so the match is on for the date they tentatively advertised it for. Funny how that works out.

THE RENEGADES vs. BRITT BAKER & JAMIE HAYTER (w/Rebel)- no rating, bad segment
In order to get us excited to see Baker and Hayter take on Saraya and Toni Storm next week, AEW had Baker and Hayter take forever to beat a pair of jobbers.

HOUSE OF BLACK PROMO- snore
He seemed to be claiming that Tony Khan is a hypocrite, and then started talking about Eddie Kingston. Uncle Howdy House of Black told Bray Wyatt Eddie Kingston that he isn’t being his real self, and they want to help him be evil.

SONICO vs. “PERRO PELIGROSO” PRESTON VANCE (w/Jose the Assistant)- no rating, meh segment
Vance squashed the jobber, then ripped off his mask because that’s what LFI do at random times and/or he doesn’t like masks because he was “forced” to wear one by the Dark Order for two years.

AFTER LAST WEEK’S DYNAMITE, RENEE PAQUETTE’S INTERVIEW WITH DARBY ALLIN WAS INTERRUPTED BY THE KINGDOM- meh
Mike Bennett challenged Darby to put his title on the line, so Darby did.

MARK HENRY INTERVIEWS THE PEOPLE IN THE MAIN EVENT- snore

AEW TNT TITLE MATCH: Darby Allin(c) vs. Mike Bennett (w/Matt Taven & Maria Kanellis Bennett)- 6.75/10
The announcers noted that Darby was too injured to ride his skateboard to the ring. I didn’t realize riding a skateboard was such a strenuous activity.
Darby overcame work on his leg and interference to get the win.

This was a good episode of Rampage in the ring, but once again, the show feels completely skippable.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3