BRM Reviews WWE Royal Rumble 2005

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWE Royal Rumble 2005

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '13, 21:30

WWE Royal Rumble 2005 (1/30/2005)- Fresno, CA

SHAWN MICHAELS vs. EDGE- 7.5/10
GREAT opener.

EDDIE & FLAIR PICK THEIR ENTRY NUMBERS- fun segment. Eddie (allegedly… we never actually see either number and Flair didn’t show it to anyone, so there is no actual evidence) gets a crappy number so he picks Flair’s pocket, stealing Flair’s number.

HEIDENREICH & SNITSKY BACKSTAGE- okay

CASKET MATCH: The Undertaker vs. Heidenreich-5.25/10
I really want to know which idiot said “I know what will help this feud! Let’s give the heel a phobia that both puts him at a disadvantage in the match and is utterly hilarious!”
Anyway, this match was pretty dull. The thing I popped the most for was Kane showing up to fight Snitsky off.

CHRISTIAN & CENA GET THEIR RUMBLE NUMBERS- Okay

WWE TITLE MATCH: JBL(c) vs. Kurt Angle vs. The Big Show- 6.25/10
Very disappointing. The match didn’t feel like it got anywhere near enough time. I was actually 100% certain that what turned out to be the finish was going to be a nearfall.

BATISTA BACKSTAGE STUFF- the interaction with Carlito was good, and it served as an excuse to get Bischoff’s decision to ban Evolution from ringside on-stage.

EDDIE & TEDDY LONG, & EVOLUTION BACKSTAGE- I LOVE IT! Someone actually gets in trouble for stealing something! The dissension in Evolution at the end was good.

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Triple H(c) vs. Randy Orton- 7.5/10
Huh. Yet again I was pretty sure that what turned out to be the finish was going to be just a nearfall.

KURT ANGLE STEALS NUNZIO’S ROYAL RUMBLE NUMBER- bad segment. Apparently “possession is nine tenths of the law” applies to theft, too. The number itself is irrelevant! Nunzio is the competitor of record! If I jump onto the field in the middle of a game and knock Derek Jeter out, I don’t get to spend the rest of the game as the shortstop for the Yankees! To make things worse, Nunzio not even wanting to try to fight for made him look like a wimp.

THE CABINET BACKSTAGE- Teddy Long thinks that having no interferences in tonight’s World Heavyweight Title match was really cool, so he makes the main event for No Way Out JBL vs. Big Show in a Barbed Wire Steel Cage match.

2005 ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH- 8.25/10
Good stuff all the way through. The restarted period at the end was very brief, which felt extremely awkward.

Overall, a pretty good show from the WWE.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Royal Rumble 2005

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '13, 22:42

Big Red Machine wrote:
Good stuff all the way through. The restarted period at the end was very brief, which felt extremely awkward.
this was Batista's win right?

if so, it felt awkward because it was 100% improvised, they botched the finish when Batista also fell to the floor.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '13, 22:51

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

if so, it felt awkward because it was 100% improvised, they botched the finish when Batista also fell to the floor.
If this is true, then the refs did an absolutely amazing job of improvising with the Raw refs giving Batista the win and the Smackdown refs giving Cena the win. It fit in perfectly with Tazz's commentary and with Bischoff and Long's appearances earlier. Major props to them for that.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 22nd, '13, 23:17

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

If this is true, then the refs did an absolutely amazing job of improvising with the Raw refs giving Batista the win and the Smackdown refs giving Cena the win. It fit in perfectly with Tazz's commentary and with Bischoff and Long's appearances earlier. Major props to them for that.
yeah, it was a pretty amazing jobs by everyone, i think they're always ready with a fail safe plan just in case. Vince tore his quad also during that last segment