Ryback's Take On WWE Burying Cedric Alexander

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Bob-O

Ryback's Take On WWE Burying Cedric Alexander

Post by Bob-O » Oct 1st, '19, 10:24

Ryback was asked about Cedric on his podcast and I thought his response was interesting.
My last two matches there, and I talk about everything in detail on this where it's supposed to be me and Vince have a handshake agreement with me winning the world title, signing the new contract, doing the heel turn and going all the way with it and it paying off. That was part of our handshake agreement with all of that and then with the contract with all of my trademarks that they wanted me to sign off on that I didn't want to do, we started butting heads and I got moved to the preshow," Ryback revealed. "Went from supposedly winning the world championship to now the US title, didn't sign the contract so then I put over Kalisto off of the main card at WrestleMania now on the preshow. I had received some backlash from the small portion of fans calling me a bulls****er and a liar, but no, I have been truthful from the beginning.

This is another example with Cedric Alexander, who supposedly they had big plans for, Paul Heyman liked him and wanted to do something with him. All it could have taken was for Cedric Alexander to ask one wrong question in the back regarding pay, just so everyone understands. I am not saying that this happened, but he may have asked one thing about him and they were not happy about him inquiring about it.

Maybe, it was a payout for a live event so then they'll be like, oh, we have to show him and then they will do something like this, which nobody on the outside can understand. Wait, this is crazy, Vince McMahon soured on him? Vince probably didn't sour on him, it was [Director of Talent Relations] Mark Carrano and he asked something about a payout and it's like, this guy is asking questions and so we have to show him who is boss. That will typically shut talent up because they know that they are scared because they know that their pay is going to start going down and they are going to start getting jobbed out and their equity goes down and they become disposable. So, that is a way to control talent, that is just one example, that may not have happened, could have been where they just didn't want to push him anymore. But typically, I have seen this time and time again with people where they will crack the whip to give someone an ego check, and it's not even an ego check. It's just, the guy may have gotten paid $500 for a live event he main evented; it should have been $2,000.

So, this is the inner workings that go on over there and how screwed up it is and how talent are handcuffed. You have to be really careful how much you speak up over there until you have a little bit of equity in you.

Thelone

Re: Ryback's Take On WWE Burying Cedric Alexander

Post by Thelone » Oct 1st, '19, 14:12

Or you know, it's the same Cedric Alexander who got pushed repeatedly in ROH and tanked every single time because he has no charisma.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 1st, '19, 17:09

Thelone wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 14:12 Or you know, it's the same Cedric Alexander who got pushed repeatedly in ROH and tanked every single time because he has no charisma.
He's got an early Mikey Whipwreck charisma, where he doesn't quite win the big one but gosh darn he's so plucky and homey that you can't help but like him. It's why him losing to Kota in the CWC got such a positive reaction. Unfortunately the two most difficult gimmicks to bottle and put towards a push are that and the Ricky Steamboat babyface. In order to push him to a significant level he'd have to be in something equivalent to Seth vs Brock at Summerslam where all facts towards him not being able to win, but by God, he does! But that's an extremely special set of circumstances, and can't be pulled off twice. When you eliminate that from the equation it boils down to the he has no charisma, so you're right.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 1st, '19, 17:24

From what I've seen he's got quite the lively personality...so I'm not sure if I agree with no charisna...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 1st, '19, 17:47

Thelone wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 14:12 Or you know, it's the same Cedric Alexander who got pushed repeatedly in ROH and tanked every single time because he has no charisma.
I fully blame Delirious' booking for this. His only "pushes" constituted storylines that never went anywhere.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 1st, '19, 19:32

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 17:09 He's got an early Mikey Whipwreck charisma, where he doesn't quite win the big one but gosh darn he's so plucky and homey that you can't help but like him. It's why him losing to Kota in the CWC got such a positive reaction. Unfortunately the two most difficult gimmicks to bottle and put towards a push are that and the Ricky Steamboat babyface.
I think you're right. He's very likable, easy to root for.
He's the guy everybody loves to have around, but nobody is going to go out of their way to find when he isn't. Nobody is looking for a Cedric Alexander shirt...

Probably doesn't help that Ricochet turned up around the same time... and he does all the stuff that would make Cedric appealing to Vince better than Cedric.

Still an interesting take from The Big Guy. It's always bugged me when they put these fresh faces into big programs and suddenly they're gone, but I'd never considered there being an actual reason. Alex Riley always comes to mind... dude was KILLING IT for a few weeks, then gone. Tenzai gets a clean win over Cena... then buried. Zack Ryder, and how crazy everyone got every time Santino got taken seriously... there's just so many, that I don't even notice anymore, I chalk it up to WWE will WWE. Now we're seeing it with Cedric but also to a lesser degree Buddy Murphy, it sucks, but it's also a little refreshing to know that there's probably some logic behind it.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 1st, '19, 21:15

Say what will you about the guy, but coming from someone like Ryback of all people, it does kind of make sense. I understand he can be a bit of impulsive with an attitude problem about things, but the man was given one of the biggest pushes from nowhere in a long time with so much fucked up potential.

He was NOT to be the next Brett Hart and Shawn Michaels, but John Cena and Stevr Austin maybe. The look, great power moves that got people on their feet...the endorsement from John Cena I'll never forget, when the entire building shouted "FEED! ME! MORE!", I mean it wrote itself. Then Cena goes down to injury and they felt there were no other available top stars to face Punk, and they had him lose.

That was the beginning of the end and none of it was his fault so I'd understand why he feels as he does.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 2nd, '19, 08:55

Bob-O wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 19:32
He's the guy everybody loves to have around, but nobody is going to go out of their way to find when he isn't. Nobody is looking for a Cedric Alexander shirt...
I once had a Cedric t-shirt, I got it for $5 because it was misprinted. Only used it once in my house and it's now in a goodwill somewhere.

I have never liked Cedric, I find him 105% generic indie dude from the 2010s, his career highlight is still hitting the Lumbar Check on Candice years ago on Beyond Wrestling. He, like most guys from 205Live has a job because WWE signed everyone they could from the CWC

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 2nd, '19, 17:30

cero2k wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 08:55
Bob-O wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 19:32
I once had a Cedric t-shirt, I got it for $5 because it was misprinted. Only used it once in my house and it's now in a goodwill somewhere.

I have never liked Cedric, I find him 105% generic indie dude from the 2010s, his career highlight is still hitting the Lumbar Check on Candice years ago on Beyond Wrestling. He, like most guys from 205Live has a job because WWE signed everyone they could from the CWC
The dude is a fantastic babyface. You can still have the generic indy moveset and be a great babyface.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 2nd, '19, 18:54

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 17:30
The dude is a fantastic babyface. You can still have the generic indy moveset and be a great babyface.
he's also a generic babyface. He's good at what he does, but there are a 100 wrestlers out there with the same amount of talent and the same babyface selling skill. He doesn't have a gimmick, a special aerial or technician moveset.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 2nd, '19, 18:56

cero2k wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 18:54
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 17:30
he's also a generic babyface. He's good at what he does, but there are a 100 wrestlers out there with the same amount of talent and the same babyface selling skill. He doesn't have a gimmick, a special aerial or technician moveset.
That's true. But how replaceable he is isn't relevant to a discussion of how good he is.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 2nd, '19, 19:16

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 18:56
That's true. But how replaceable he is isn't relevant to a discussion of how good he is.
no one here is saying he's bad, we're just saying he's nothing special. Dime a dozen wrestler, he's no one's favorite wrestler

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 2nd, '19, 20:19

cero2k wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 08:55 I once had a Cedric t-shirt, I got it for $5 because it was misprinted. Only used it once in my house and it's now in a goodwill somewhere.
How misprinted was it? Not gonna lie, I will never let you live it down if you gave a "Cedric Elixskipper" shirt to Goodwill...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 2nd, '19, 20:21

Bob-O wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 20:19
cero2k wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 08:55 I once had a Cedric t-shirt, I got it for $5 because it was misprinted. Only used it once in my house and it's now in a goodwill somewhere.
How misprinted was it? Not gonna lie, I will never let you live it down if you gave a "Cedric Elixskipper" shirt to Goodwill...
hahaha nah, it was just misaligned, one color was overlapping the other a bit too much.