BRM Reviews WWE Elimination Chamber 2021 (WHY?!)

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWE Elimination Chamber 2021 (WHY?!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 21st, '21, 21:33

WWE Elimination Chamber 2021 (2/21/2021)- St. Petersburg, FL

How about instead of showing off your fancy augmented reality floating graphic with the rules, you just put a graphic up on screen that isn’t f*cking SLANTED AND MOVING, MAKING IT HARDER TO READ?

ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH FOR A SHOT AT THE WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE MATCH LATER TONIGHT: Sami Zayn vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Baron Corbin vs. Cesaro vs. Jey Uso vs. Kevin Owens- 8/10
They did the entrances for the four people in the pods, then played a long hype package for the match, then they did the entrances for the two people starting the match (Dragon and Cesaro). Ceasro’ trunks looked like chainmail, and looked bad on TV.
Bryan’s knee was the only thing resembling a real story. Otherwise, it was just a typical Elimination Chamber match, with the typical spots. It’s not good that we’ve reached the point where I can use the word “typical” to describe anything about the Elimination Chamber, but that’s what WWE has brought us to. All of the babyfaces were given a chance to shine (and Jey Uso, too), but the idea seemed to be to particularly shine up Bryan and Cesaro.
I’m happy Bryan won, but if we’re not getting the big, full, Bryan vs. Roman program with the guy the fans got behind beating Vince’s handpicked guy who Vince wanted them to get behind, then I don’t think it’s worth wasting the match. It would have been better to give Cesaro the win, as he could be elevated with this win and then a strong loss to Roman.

WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE MATCH: Roman Reigns(c) (w/Paul Heyman) vs. Daniel Bryan- no rating, meh segment
Graves insisted that Roman was being generous by defending his title here and that he “did not have to defend his title tonight,” which directly contradicts what was said on TV in the segment that set this match up.
Bryan got a surprise Yes Lock off right away, but Roman broke it and beat the sh*t out of Bryan before winning with a triangle choke. This wasn’t fun to watch because the odds were stacked against the babyface, and the babyfaces lost without getting to put up much of a fight because those odds were so stacked against him. I’m supposed to be angry at Roman for that, but I’m not. I’m more angry at WWE and Adam Pearce for having no spine and/or brain and allowing Roman to push them around like this. As I said in my review of Smackdown a few weeks ago, there was no reason for there to be an Elimination Chamber. Based on what we were told the contract said, Pearce could have just signed a singles match title defense for one challenger, but instead he gave in to Roman like an idiot.

EDGE COMES OUT AND SPEARS ROMAN- Then he points to the WrestleMania sign. So either we’re not giving Bryan a rematch, or we’re giving one of our most popular babyfaces a rematch when everyone knows he won’t win. That’s WWE for you.

BAD BUNNY SLAPS THE MIZ, THEN DAMIAN PRIEST STEPS IN TO DEFEND BUNNY WHEN MIZ TRIES TO RETALIATE- Isn’t a weaker person slapping a stronger person for no good reason and then hiding behind a larger person a heel thing to do?

WWE UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH: Bobby Lashley(c) (w/MVP) vs. Matt Riddle vs. John Morrison- 6.75/10
Morrison is replacing Keith Lee, who was injured by Lashley on Raw thirteen days ago. He won a qualifier on the pre-show. The story of the match is that Lashely is a super-dominant badass who can only be defeated with the use of a weapon. Riddle wound up using said weapon (MVP’s crutch, which Morrison had tried to introduce) to take Lashley out, but didn’t even pin Lashley. He pinned Morrison, and all of the focus after the match was on the angry Lashley. Are they trying to make me feel like Lashley is a babyface on purpose? Because it really feels like the rightful champion got screwed out of his title.

WWE WOMEN’S TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler(c) vs. Sasha Banks & Bianca Belair- 5.75/10
They’ve added this atrocious squeaking noise to the beginning of Shayna’s music. WHY?!
The match was mostly fine (Jax’s face coming nowhere near the mat on that bulldog by Sasha early on being a notable miscue), but otherwise uninteresting. They shined Bianca up very nicely, but the finish took away any goodwill this built up. Sasha had things well in hand, but Reginald showed up offer her a champagne bottle to use as a weapon. She refused to use it and yelled at him which allowed Jax to recover, hit her finisher, and win. Whatever this dumb angle is with Sasha and Reginald, knowing the way that WWE books, I don’t trust that they’re going to have time play it out without interfering with Sasha vs. Bianca at WrestleMania. At best, they wrap it up at Fastlane and we’re getting yet another f*ck finish in a title match when Nia gets the title shot at the next PPV, and if you’re planning to do a storyline that results in AT BEST two f*ck finishes in title matches on PPV and at worst more than that, plus a popular babyface being saddled with a useless not-over good as a romantic interest and valet, then you need to rethink your plans.

ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH FOR THE WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Drew McIntyre(c) vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Sheamus vs. AJ Styles (w/Omos)- 8.25/10
Kofi saved us all and eliminated Randy Orton with a roll-up before any Fiend bullsh*t happened. Orton RKOed people before leaving. AJ styles had Omos open the outside plexiglass of his pod and ran outside of the Chamber and then in through the door and started beating people up and trying to pin them… and the referee’s counted the pins even though he wasn’t legally in the match yet. Adam Pearce came out and ejected Omos from ringside for enabling this… and Omos left. WHY? If there are no DQs in an Elimination Chamber match then what repercussions for AJ could there be if Omos doesn’t leave?
Other than that one dumb spot, this was really awesome, especially the final three. There was definitely an issue where the storyline going in (and especially the lack of storyline with everyone else) made we want to focus on the Drew vs. Sheamus parts and any time we were looking at one of those two it felt like I was missing something important, but when Sheamus and Drew did go at it, there was a real energy to it that had me believing that this really could have worked as a big WrestleMania match (although, with the way WWE does things, I’m sure that will peter out well before Mania comes around). The booking of the finish- Sheamus hit Drew with the Brogue Kick but then got hit with a Phenomenal Forearm by AJ and eliminated, and then Drew eliminated AJ- keeps us thinking that Sheamus can beat Drew one on one to keep that program alive.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- frustrating and hateful
Lashley beat up Drew, then Miz cashed in MITB and won.
Okay, just to get this out of the way quickly:
1. They basically did the same segment twice tonight. Once with each world title. “Creative” my ass.
2. They spoiled this one by showing us Miz and MVP consulting backstage before the match.
3. I don’t understand why Lashley would do this. The best I can figure is that Miz promised him a title shot, but it’s the f*cking Miz we’re talking about. He lies constantly and is completely untrustworthy. And MVP knows that, so why would he do this if he knows there is nothing stopping Miz from not giving Lashley a title shot?
Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s move on to the real issue here:
WHY?!
Why did you do this to us, Vince? Can you not let us have anything?
Where is this going to go? Are you going to have The Miz defend the title at WrestleMania against Bad Bunny? Why? Even if that would bring more attention, it wouldn’t increase profits because there is no gate, no one is buy the PPVs because of the Network, and people probably drop the Network once everything is on Peacock.
Or are you going to have Drew win it back from Miz with help from Bad Bunny? That has the same problem as above, plus it makes Drew look bad. Or even if Bad Bunny isn’t involved, it doesn’t help Drew because it’s f*cking Miz. Drew has already won the title by beating Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton. Winning the title by beating The Miz isn’t going to do anything for him. All this title change (and the eventual change back) does is cheapen the idea of a title change.
In January of 2016, I wrote a listicle entitled “The Top 10 Soul-Crushing Moments of 2015,” looking at moments from the past year where the air was let out of the balloon and our hopes that things could actually get better were dashed. Of I was to write one of those for this year, this title change would be on it. For all of the many flaws in WWE’s booking, Drew McIntyre as the badass babyface champion taking on all comers was something they had been doing right. And now that has been replaced with The f*cking MIZ, who has been involved in terrible, obnoxious “change the channel heat” segment after terrible, obnoxious “change the channel heat” segment for what feels like YEARS at this point. Seeing Miz win the title from Drew doing the same angle we already saw earlier in the night makes me ask myself why I keep watching the main roster. Wouldn’t my time be better spent catching up NXT UK and ROH or continuing my foray into early EVOLVE, or making a dent in the many FIP, PWG, and CHIKARA DVDs sitting on my shelves that I’ve never watched, watching some famous 90s All Japan, or re-watching some golden age ROH, or watching some old territorial TV on YouTube or the WWE Network? Tomorrow night, that’s what I’m going to do. If Raw is worth watching, I’ll find out from the news reports on Tuesday and maybe watch it then.

Basically, the Elimination Chamber matches were good and everything else was bad. Especially the booking. No matter how great those Elimination Chamber matches were, what came after them (and especially what came after the main event) is a big black cloud for me that will forever hover over the memory of this show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Elimination Chamber 2021 (WHY?!)

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 25th, '21, 09:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 21st, '21, 21:33
1. They basically did the same segment twice tonight. Once with each world title. “Creative” my ass.
2. They spoiled this one by showing us Miz and MVP consulting backstage before the match.
3. I don’t understand why Lashley would do this. The best I can figure is that Miz promised him a title shot, but it’s the f*cking Miz we’re talking about. He lies constantly and is completely untrustworthy. And MVP knows that, so why would he do this if he knows there is nothing stopping Miz from not giving Lashley a title shot?
WHY?!
Where is this going to go? Are you going to have The Miz defend the title at WrestleMania against Bad Bunny? Why? Even if that would bring more attention, it wouldn’t increase profits because there is no gate, no one is buy the PPVs because of the Network, and people probably drop the Network once everything is on Peacock.
Or are you going to have Drew win it back from Miz with help from Bad Bunny? That has the same problem as above, plus it makes Drew look bad. Or even if Bad Bunny isn’t involved, it doesn’t help Drew because it’s f*cking Miz. Drew has already won the title by beating Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton. Winning the title by beating The Miz isn’t going to do anything for him. All this title change (and the eventual change back) does is cheapen the idea of a title change.
In January of 2016, I wrote a listicle entitled “The Top 10 Soul-Crushing Moments of 2015,” looking at moments from the past year where the air was let out of the balloon and our hopes that things could actually get better were dashed. Of I was to write one of those for this year, this title change would be on it. For all of the many flaws in WWE’s booking, Drew McIntyre as the badass babyface champion taking on all comers was something they had been doing right. And now that has been replaced with The f*cking MIZ, who has been involved in terrible, obnoxious “change the channel heat” segment after terrible, obnoxious “change the channel heat” segment for what feels like YEARS at this point. Seeing Miz win the title from Drew doing the same angle we already saw earlier in the night makes me ask myself why I keep watching the main roster. Wouldn’t my time be better spent catching up NXT UK and ROH or continuing my foray into early EVOLVE, or making a dent in the many FIP, PWG, and CHIKARA DVDs sitting on my shelves that I’ve never watched, watching some famous 90s All Japan, or re-watching some golden age ROH, or watching some old territorial TV on YouTube or the WWE Network? Tomorrow night, that’s what I’m going to do. If Raw is worth watching, I’ll find out from the news reports on Tuesday and maybe watch it then.

Basically, the Elimination Chamber matches were good and everything else was bad. Especially the booking. No matter how great those Elimination Chamber matches were, what came after them (and especially what came after the main event) is a big black cloud for me that will forever hover over the memory of this show.
I don't get the toddler-tantruming I'm seeing about this finish. The nefarious heel cashed in the Money in the Bank after the babyface had fought a grewling match, and stole the title, big whoop and yet people are acting like Drew was actually robbed for fucking real. Sure, no one likes The Miz, and it's not entirely for kayfabe reasons, but I think it's entirely too early to call where the Mania build will go. Hell, we're having a heel vs heel title match at Fastlane, the future is far from certain (A Bobby/Miz/Drew triple threat would be interesting, for example)
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 25th, '21, 10:29

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 09:59

I don't get the toddler-tantruming I'm seeing about this finish. The nefarious heel cashed in the Money in the Bank after the babyface had fought a grewling match, and stole the title, big whoop and yet people are acting like Drew was actually robbed for fucking real. Sure, no one likes The Miz, and it's not entirely for kayfabe reasons, but I think it's entirely too early to call where the Mania build will go. Hell, we're having a heel vs heel title match at Fastlane, the future is far from certain (A Bobby/Miz/Drew triple threat would be interesting, for example)
All of The Miz things aside, I think it's just timing. Drew is a strong champion, Lashley is a destroyer of a challenger, one month away from the biggest show of their year, have them collide there with no shenanigans. You know what be better than Lashley vs Drew vs Miz? Lashley vs Drew in a singles match, two big top of the card wrestling going at it. Leave the shenanigans for the geriatric match over at Smackdown

knowing WWE, this seems to be heading into Drew getting his crowing moment in front of a crowd at WM, meaning that (1) Lashley loses against The Miz and it's a 3-way, or (2) Lashley wins and only gets a 1 month reign. Two options seem weak for me, Lashley can lose to Drew, but not Miz, who has only won 3 matches in over a year.

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 25th, '21, 10:55

I worry. Vince loves to swerve fans and cause confusion. He’s admitted as much. Everybody expects Lashley to beat The Miz... I just don’t see it being that simple.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 25th, '21, 11:12

XIV wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 10:55 I worry. Vince loves to swerve fans and cause confusion. He’s admitted as much. Everybody expects Lashley to beat The Miz... I just don’t see it being that simple.
at this point, they may as well let Miz keep the title til WM and have Drew pin him to 'protect' Lashley. If they were still forced to sell tickets, i'd say they were leaving money on the table, but they get paid even if they wanna have Miz vs Bad Bunny main event WM

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 25th, '21, 11:38

cero2k wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 11:12
XIV wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 10:55 I worry. Vince loves to swerve fans and cause confusion. He’s admitted as much. Everybody expects Lashley to beat The Miz... I just don’t see it being that simple.
at this point, they may as well let Miz keep the title til WM and have Drew pin him to 'protect' Lashley. If they were still forced to sell tickets, i'd say they were leaving money on the table, but they get paid even if they wanna have Miz vs Bad Bunny main event WM
I grant that, but they still want people to watch the match.

Any Miz WM title match will see me zip through to the finish to see if he loses it or not. I have zero interest in Miz being the Champion.
Have A Nice Day!

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 25th, '21, 20:46

This would be ideal. Then have Lashley take the title off of Drew at Summerslam.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 25th, '21, 21:56

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 09:59
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 21st, '21, 21:33
WHY?!

As for the "tantruming," Cero explained it pretty well, but I also do feel the need to stress that a large part of the issue is that there are so few things that have been enjoyable about WWE and Drew as champion was one of them, and now Vince has taken that away from us (and replaced it with something we hate- long, annoying Miz promos) for baffling reasons. If Drew had last clean to Lashley, or if he had just been beaten by Sheamus in the Elimination Chamber, there wouldn't be nearly as many objections because most people would say "I'm disappointed that Drew lost, but they used him to elevate someone." Here, they're just putting the belt on Miz, who gains nothing from it, and will almost certainly lose in a month or two.

Also, you say that it's too early to call where Mania is going, but at this point (two months out), unless you've got a very well-told web of stories that set up many different possibilities, it shouldn't be. Of all of the logical possibilties (which I think between Cero, XIV, and myself, we've laid out in various places) none of them are anywhere near as good as just buillding up a heel and either having Drew beat him (Sheamus, or maybe Strowman) or elevating Lashley to the next level by having him take the title from the unbeatable Drew.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 25th, '21, 21:57

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 20:46

This would be ideal. Then have Lashley take the title off of Drew at Summerslam.
you think they can manage to take it all the way to Summerslam?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 25th, '21, 22:07

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 20:46
If you wanted to go with this sort of scenario, I think ideal would be to find a way to have Miz in the match without taking the belt off of Drew (like have Sheamus screw Miz out of his cash-in because he wants to be the one to beat Drew, but have Miz keep hounding Drew or Pearce or Shane or whoever until he gets put into the Mania match).
Also, you would need to find something to occupy Lashley's time in between Mania and SummerSlam to explain why he doesn't just come out and say "hey, Drew, you pinned MIz, but you didn't pin me" and fighting champion Drew doesn't give him a title shot.

Also, while this scenario sounds nice, it also doesn't mesh with what we saw on Raw, where they seemed to pretty much turn Lashley babyface. Doing things now to get the fans to cheer Lashley is counterproductive if you're going to go back to Drew vs. Lashley because that issue started with Lashley attacking Drew in an unsporting fashion to help screw him out of a title.

I think the way a similar scenario would work best would be to have had Drew be seriously injured, build Lashley up as your new top face, and then bring Drew back and you've got your heat between them, but you've done enough to establish that Lashley is no longer the ill-tempered violent person who attacked Riddle, Lee, etc., but rather is just a badass ass-kicker, and you match is then two ass-kickers with a grudge ("you helped Miz take the title off of me because you knew you couldn't be me!")

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 26th, '21, 00:26

I just don’t know why they had to go through this mess to get to where they want. They should have just had Bad Bunny ruin the cash-in or Miz lose the cash-in somehow (like, Lasey comes back and destroys him too), next night on Raw, Bad Bunny makes fun of Miz for losing his briefcase. Damian Priest vs Morrison is your match, and at ringside or backstage Miz gets a little heat on Bad Bunny while Damien Priest isn’t around, that leaves Miz furious at him, it gets some real heat and builds towards whatever they’re doing at Mania as a Tag team match.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 26th, '21, 08:35

XIV wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 00:26 I just don’t know why they had to go through this mess to get to where they want. They should have just had Bad Bunny ruin the cash-in or Miz lose the cash-in somehow (like, Lasey comes back and destroys him too), next night on Raw, Bad Bunny makes fun of Miz for losing his briefcase. Damian Priest vs Morrison is your match, and at ringside or backstage Miz gets a little heat on Bad Bunny while Damien Priest isn’t around, that leaves Miz furious at him, it gets some real heat and builds towards whatever they’re doing at Mania as a Tag team match.
And this would give you an opportunity for a little interaction between Bad Bunny and Drew, giving Drew a rub.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 26th, '21, 08:48

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 08:35
XIV wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 00:26 I just don’t know why they had to go through this mess to get to where they want. They should have just had Bad Bunny ruin the cash-in or Miz lose the cash-in somehow (like, Lasey comes back and destroys him too), next night on Raw, Bad Bunny makes fun of Miz for losing his briefcase. Damian Priest vs Morrison is your match, and at ringside or backstage Miz gets a little heat on Bad Bunny while Damien Priest isn’t around, that leaves Miz furious at him, it gets some real heat and builds towards whatever they’re doing at Mania as a Tag team match.
And this would give you an opportunity for a little interaction between Bad Bunny and Drew, giving Drew a rub.
Exactly. You could easily have Damian Priest and Drew team with BB in the corner in a Raw main event between now and mania to keep things ticking.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 26th, '21, 09:38

XIV wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 08:48
Exactly. You could easily have Damian Priest and Drew team with BB in the corner in a Raw main event between now and mania to keep things ticking.
this just made me want Drew vs Priest to main event Summerslam. WWE has their hands on true potential top guys with Drew, Lash Lee and Priest. $5 they fuck it up

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 26th, '21, 09:52

cero2k wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 09:38
this just made me want Drew vs Priest to main event Summerslam. WWE has their hands on true potential top guys with Drew, Lash Lee and Priest. $5 they fuck it up
Damian Priest is a star, absolutely ready. He's not exactly young, so it's definitely "trigger pull" time. I think Priest would be better as the heel going in because I think Priest could be a monster of a heel. But yes, I would dig Priest vs McIntyre later this year.

Lashley is 45, if he's going to be Champion, it has to be now because whilst he still works and looks no older than his early thirties, the reality is different and he'll start slowing down at some point.

I don't particularly rate Keith Lee, I just don't connect to him and don't really see anything huge in him, but I know that many do.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 26th, '21, 09:58

I don't disagree, but I think that Priest's true top potential lies in being a cocky heel rockstar douchebag, and I just don't see WWE being willing to take the necessary steps to make that work (having women throw themselves at him, etc.) With the other guys you've mentioned, it's just a matter of letting them do their own talking instead of scripting him (or, in Lashley's case, finding someone else to do it for him) and keeping them protected.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 26th, '21, 10:09

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 09:58
I don't disagree, but I think that Priest's true top potential lies in being a cocky heel rockstar douchebag, and I just don't see WWE being willing to take the necessary steps to make that work (having women throw themselves at him, etc.) With the other guys you've mentioned, it's just a matter of letting them do their own talking instead of scripting him (or, in Lashley's case, finding someone else to do it for him) and keeping them protected.
hmm, i may be the only one that can see babyface potential in him. the cool rebel rockstar that everyone wants to hang out with

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 26th, '21, 10:11

cero2k wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 10:09
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 09:58
hmm, i may be the only one that can see babyface potential in him. the cool rebel rockstar that everyone wants to hang out with
He can definitely play that role, he sort of is now... but I (and clearly BRM) think he would be even better as a heel version.
Have A Nice Day!

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 26th, '21, 11:54

Hell, I'd be down with Drew vs Priest in between Mania and the ideal Drew vs Lashley at Summerslam. Maybe throw in Drew vs. AJ in between if you only want to go with a babyface vs babyface program for so long