BRM Reviews WWE Extreme Rules 2021 (I'll bet you didn't see THAT finsih coming)

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWE Extreme Rules 2021 (I'll bet you didn't see THAT finsih coming)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '21, 21:26

WWE Extreme Rules 2021 (9/26/2021)- Columbus, OH

PRE-SHOW:
Sonya Deville is the only person on the pre-show panel without a Connor’s Cure pin. Clearly this means that she hates children. And clearly someone hates all of our brains, as we’re currently getting both the English and Spanish feeds on the same track.

LIV MORGAN vs. CARMELLA- 4.5/10
Carmella wasted time with a long promo bragging about how hot she was. Liv eventually got annoyed and charged at her to kick things off. Liv won a very meh match cleanly.

MAIN SHOW:
NEW DAY vs. BOBBY LASHLEY, AJ STYLES, & OMOS- 7/10
Good action. As you might expect, a miscue between the heels led to the babyfaces getting the win. The geniuses behind WWE decided to have Big E. pin Lashley again, damaging the inevitable rematch for the titles.

WWE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Usos(c) vs. the Street Profits- 7.25/10
Montez Ford’s ribs are taped up after the beating he received at the hands of the Bloodline on Smackdown. The story here was Montez being an awesome babyface… but the babyface doesn’t always win, and that’s what happened here.

BOBBY LASHLEY PROMO- awesome
He wants his title back. If only the booking hadn’t undermined him tonight.

WWE RAW WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Charlotte Flair(c) vs. Alexa Bliss- 6.75/10
A great match with a lot of big stuff Also some stuff that wasn't so great, though. Phantom contact and so forth. This was easily the best thing Alexa has been involved with since she got absorbed in this Bray Wyatt bullsh*t.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Charlotte ripped Lilly to pieces. Hopefully that is the end of Lilly. Alexa attacked Charlotte and they brawled a bunch. Charlotte won the brawl and left. Alexa got up and started throwing things, then cried with Lilly’s pieces. Shouldn’t she be happy that she is freed from the evil doll’s possession?
The crowd chanted “THANK YOU, LILLY!” I, meanwhile, was chanting “THANK YOU, CHARLOTTE!”

KAYLA BRAXTON VERY RUDELY INTERRUPTS PAUL HEYMAN WHEN HE’S ON THE PHONE- She got her comeuppance when Paul made fun of her, though. They teased that it was Brock on the phone. The Usos walked by, celebrating loudly. Paul left and followed them.

WWE UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH: Damian Priest(c) vs. Sheamus vs. Jeff Hardy- 8/10
Standard three-way stuff, but just done in a more exciting manner. There was also a story about Sheamus show-boating too much, and it wound up costing him the match. Priest retained cleanly. He and Jeff showed mutual respect after the match.

BIG E. PROMO- AWESOME!
He responds to Lashley, telling him that he had betty be ready tomorrow on Raw at 8pm sharp.

WWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Becky Lynch(c) vs. Bianca Belair- 7/10
Did anyone else’s Peacock crash in the middle of this?
They were having a great match built around Becky working the arm to chase the Disarmer. She finally looked like she had it when Bianca somehow managed to power her up into position for the KOD, but Sasha Banks ran in for the f*cking DQ. Sasha beat both women up. This is the sort of thing you can’t do on a PPV unless you’re going to limit it to maybe once a year.

EXTREME RULES MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Roman Reigns(c) (w/Paul Heyman) vs. Finn Balor- 6.25/10
Balor is “the Demon” for tonight. Probably not going to help him win, but at least it got him Roman entering first.
They decided to highlight a fan illegally taping Roman’s entrance with her phone, showing us what she was filming by zooming in on her screen.
Roman put a mask on before taking Balor into the crowd to brawl. Wonderful! There were some good spots, but then the Usos came out to save Roman, but the result of this was the tag champs getting single-handedly dispatched by one guy. Roman took advantage of this to spear Balor through the barricade, but silly special effects happened and Balor convulsed and then popped back up and just stopped selling and ran wild while his music played and the ring was bathed in red light. He got Roman back into the ring and went to the top rope to set up for the Coup de Grace, but he lost due to interference from the Almighty. No, not Bobby Lashley. I mean G-d. No, not Seth Rollins, either. I mean Shawn Michaels’ tag team partner from Backlash 2006. The One you capitalize pronouns for.
Yes, really. Balor was up on the top rope and then is just broke and tumbled over, and Roman speared him and pinned him… and looked up in relief and pointed to the sky like Sabu. There is a small part of me that would love for Tony Khan to see this and change his booking plans for Dynamite and have Miro drop the TNT Title to Sammy and then cut a promo about how he accepts that G-d has a new favorite champion now.

This f*cking company. I just… I don’t even know what to say. If they had come to me and said “BRM, we will give you fifty-trillion dollars and we’ll never book any magical Fiend/Lilly bullsh*t ever again, and Alexa Bliss has agreed to give you four dates to win her heart (like Jimmy and Lacey) AND we’ll bring 205 Live back to its former glory, and we’ll buy Ring of Honor and let you book it, using anyone you want to use… but in return, you have to come up with the stupidest and most infuriating finish you can think of for the main event of this PPV,” I still wouldn’t have been able to come up with this. Not even with all of that incentive. I’m really not even that angry right now. I’m just kind of dumbfounded. The comment I’ve seen that best sums up my feelings is “that was so dumb I’m honestly impressed.”
This was a pretty great show up until that. It wasn’t excellent, but it was a few hours of matches that all would have been acceptable TV main events or better. And then they went and did this, and that’s the thing that this show will forever be remembered for, with the efforts of everyone on the undercard (and I especially feel bad for Montez and guys in the three-way here) being forgotten.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Extreme Rules 2021 (I'll bet you didn't see THAT finsih coming)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 27th, '21, 06:49

wrestlinghero01 wrote: Sep 27th, '21, 02:15 I gave Roman-Finn a chance. I regret it so much and want to question my intelligence.
This is an unfortunately common feeling while watching WWE PPVs.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Extreme Rules 2021 (I'll bet you didn't see THAT finsih coming)

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 27th, '21, 08:24

wrestlinghero01 wrote: Sep 27th, '21, 02:15 I gave Roman-Finn a chance. I regret it so much and want to question my intelligence.
Completely reasonable on your end btw. Both are great workers, and if you just let them go they'd put on a great main event.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 27th, '21, 08:59

[sarcasm] Charlotte tore up the doll and a bit later, the ring breaks on the 'demon' of all people, the lightest man in the show. This has to be connected, right? I need to consult reddit [/sarcasm]

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 27th, '21, 10:31

cero2k wrote: Sep 27th, '21, 08:59 [sarcasm] Charlotte tore up the doll and a bit later, the ring breaks on the 'demon' of all people, the lightest man in the show. This has to be connected, right? I need to consult reddit [/sarcasm]
STOP GIVING THEM IDEAS!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 28th, '21, 18:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 27th, '21, 06:49
This is an unfortunately common feeling while watching WWE PPVs.
I contemplated renewing my sub for this ppv, and I’m so glad I didn’t.