BRM Reviews WWE Money in the Bank 2022

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWE Money in the Bank 2022

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 4th, '22, 01:08

WWE Money in the Bank 2022 (7/2/2022)- Las Vegas, NV

Byron Saxton clearly doesn’t understand that past performance does not guarantee future results, as he keeps saying that due to the past 100% success rate of women’s MITB cash-ins, whoever wins this year’s match is guaranteed to cash in successfully.

WOMEN’S MONEY IN THE BANK LADDER MATCH: Becky Lynch vs. Asuka vs. Liv Morgan vs. Raquel Rodriguez vs. Lacey Evans vs. Shotzi Blackheart vs. Alexa Bliss- 6.25/10
Only seven competitors? Why did one show get more than the other?
So Bray Wyatt is dead and gone, but they still have Alexa with the stupid f*cking doll? COME ON!
My head-canon on Raquel Gonzalez’s name-change is simply that she got married and decided to change her name.
They did Ladder match stuff. It was often sloppy. Lacey and Asuka had a cool little martial arts movie exchange of dodged strikes before Lacey hit what was essentially a Torpedo Moscow to win the spot. Shotzi fell down while carrying Alexa and might have injured her, because I don’t think we saw Alexa again after that. One more reason for me to hate Shotzi.
Becky had several near-wins, including the finish, where she was knocked off by Liv, who got the win. I don’t get why people seem to like Liv so much, but they do. Even this crowd, which loved Becky, was happy to see Liv take the win away from Becky.

The SummerSlam commercial is very annoying.

WWE UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH: Austin Theory(c) vs. Bobby Lashley- 7.5/10
I thought this was just plain great professional wrestling, and from two guys whose styles I wasn’t sure would mix well. They told the obvious power vs. speed story, but these are two guys who are known more for moves than storytelling, so it was nice to see them play into a story so well.
I assumed we were getting Theory retaining with a dirty finish here, so Lashley winning was something of a surprise. It would make sense by the end of the night, though.

SARAH SCHREIBER INTERVIEWS LIV MORGAN- bad
The question itself “have you decided when and who you are cashing in on” was stupid, but Liv’s answer was just plain pathetic. Saying that “I only have one chance” with this and crying with happiness the way she was make Liv sound like someone who isn’t good enough to earn a title shot or beat a champion cleanly, and thus would never be able to be champion without this gimmick and the unfair advantage it can give a challenger (and especially in WWE, where “challenger cashes in when the champion has been taken out beforehand” is just about the only way anyone cashes in, and the possibility of doing it any other way is rarely even discussed).

WWE RAW WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Bianca Belair(c) vs. Carmella- 5/10
Bianca won cleanly, pretty much outclassing Carmella the whole time.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- frustrating
Carmella attacked Bianca after the match, so after having shown us that Bianca is better than Carmella, WWE now wants us to watch them feud for another month. If you absolutely must do this, at least do a spot in the match where Carmella gets a roll-up so close that Carmella is certain she won the match.

LOGAN PAUL STUFF- fine
He says he is coming back to kick The Miz’s ass at SummerSlam. Okay, that explains the post-match angle they did at WrestleMania… but why the hell did Miz think Paul would even want to team with him after that?

ALEXA BLISS & THE DOLL- Thank G-d this was a credit card commercial.

WWE UNIDSPUTED TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Usos(c) vs. the Street Profits- 8.5/10
During this match, Pat McAfee said “sh*t” and Michael Cole said “WWE fans.” Which one do you think Vince is more upset about?
This match was so great it got “FIGHT FOREVER!” chants from a WWE crowd. I hate that stupid chant, but how rarely do we hear that in WWE. Dawkins was a surprisingly good babyface in peril. The Street Profits were insistent that Montez Ford’s shoulder was up on the finish, and a replay was shown afterwards that corroborated that, so I guess we’ve got another feud continuing.

A WEIRD VIDEO PACKAGE IS SHOWN FOR… SOMETHING- Lots of church imagery here. Also, red lightbulbs.

WWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Ronda Rousey(c) vs. Natalya- 8/10
No, they didn’t shoot on each other. But they did tell a great story, with each chasing their signature submission, and also both often getting caught in the trap of trying to show up the other. And I really have to give them credit for that spot with that Sharpshooter hanging off the apron. When I saw them setting that up, I was wondering how they were going to make that make any sense, but they did.
Ronda eventually got Nattie to tap to an armbar out of a Sharpshooter, at which point Liv Morgan came out to cash in Money in the Bank and we got another…

WWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Ronda Rousey(c) vs. Liv Morgan- no rating, bad segment
Ronda caught a big boot and locked in an ankle lock, and I started laughing my ass off, assuming Liv was about to tap out and be the failure she came across like in her earlier promo. Unfortunately, she escaped, and managed to roll Ronda up and pin her to win the title… but is this really a win she should be proud of? Is taking advantage of someone in a weakened state (and especially in a case where there is no poetic justice being served) really something a babyface should be doing? No. And Liv now going around and being proud of herself for winning the title like this will be painfully grating.
Michael Cole starts telling this great story about Liv Morgan living her dream and coming to the Performance Center eight years ago and working so hard… so why the hell wouldn’t have her finally achieve this dream by beating someone in a f*cking FAIR FIGHT?!
I also don’t buy for a f*cking second that Ronda Rousey would respond to losing the title this way with a hug.

They showed a video package for Brock vs. Roman, which is now a Last Man Standing match, and the announcers pushed that winner of the men’s MITB match would surely cash in right after that match… which makes it pretty hard for me to care about who is going to win the big main event of SummerSlam.

MEN’S MONEY IN THE BANK LADDER MATCH: Sami Zayn vs. Matt Riddle vs. Madcap Moss vs. Seth Rollins vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Austin Theory vs. Omos (w/MVP) vs. Sheamus (w/the Brawling Brutes)- 7.75/10
Oh my G-d did they name Sheamus’ faction the “Brawling Brutes?” That is just… beyond awful. That the sort of thing that people who look down on wrestling think wrestling stables are named. Whoever came up with that name should have been fired on the spot.
Actually, no. That’s not enough. Whoever came up with that name should have been beaten to death on the spot. I realize that that might sound a little harsh, but read that name again and tell me it’s not warranted.
Adam Pearce came out and added Austin Theory to the match at the last minute, so you know he’s winning.
There are no DQs in a Ladder match, so I was quite disappointed that none of the wrestlers attempted the strategy of grabbing Drew’ssword and cutting their opponents’ arms off so that they wouldn’t be able to unhook the briefcase.
Michael Cole told us that Madcap Moss used to shovel driveways in Minnesota. My first summer job was as a camp counselor.
Ladder match stuff happened. Sami and Theory were sneaky. Riddle did Randy Orton spots. Everyone realized that they had to gang up on Omos to take him out. First they buried him under ladders, but when that didn’t work, they all got together and powerbombed him through the announcers’ table. Drew had the match won, but Pete Dunne ran in and stopped him. Theory won.

This was a great show from WWE. Yes, they had the handicap of putting on two ladder matches, but those weren’t the matches that stood out. The matches that stood out were the tag title match and the Smackdown Women’s Title match. It’s also worth noting that WWE was able to put on such a good show with Roman, AJ, Owens, Cody, Sasha, Edge, Balor, WALTER, or Charlotte wrestling. That said, there was still some frustrating booking here, and the Liv Morgan thing has me wishing that WWE would just ditch Money in the Bank altogether if they can’t figure out how to tell more than one story with what should be a relatively versatile tool.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3