BRM Reviews WWF Royal Rumble 2001

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWF Royal Rumble 2001

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 23rd, '12, 06:12

WWF Royal Rumble 2001 (1/21/2001)- New Orleans, LA

WWF WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Edge & Christian(c) vs. The Dudley Boyz- 6.25/10. Very good opener.

LADDER MATCH FOR THE WWF INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE: Chris Benoit(c) vs. Chris Jericho- 9.5/10. AMAZING! I love this match because it told a much more complicated story than the standard “wrestler A and B are tough and get up despite taking huge bumps.” They actually worked over body parts.

WWF WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Ivory(c) (w/Steven Richards) vs. Chyna- DUD! There was one point where they definitely should have been counted out. Chyna dominates the whole match, then hits her handspring elbow… then, for some reason, she just collapsed and Ivory got the win. Apparently they were going for something like working that Chyna reaggravated her neck injury, but if that was what they were going for, this was a terrible way to do it. Why not have Ivory work over the neck and reaggravate the injury to get her some more heat. Having Chyna squash Ivory then get hurt makes Ivory look ridiculously weak.

WWF TITLE MATCH: Kurt Angle(c) (w/Trish Stratus) vs. Triple H (w/Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley)- 8.5/10. Good story, and, aside from the catfight dragging on a little too long, I think the overbooking worked very well.

ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH- 9/10. A personal favorite Royal Rumble match for me. Kane is a BEAST! The stuff with the Honky Tonk Man was great, and was made even better by Lawler being the only person in the arena marking out for HTM.

Overall, an amazing show from WWE (especially if you just fast forward through the dud).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK

Re: BRM Reviews WWF Royal Rumble 2001

Post by NWK » Mar 21st, '12, 08:46

I thought Chyna legitimately hurt her neck that night, and the whole thing wasn't kayfabe. Am I wrong?
The Andy Rooney of WR, NWK

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews WWF Royal Rumble 2001

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 21st, '12, 10:14

NWK wrote:I thought Chyna legitimately hurt her neck that night, and the whole thing wasn't kayfabe. Am I wrong?
It was a work
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3