All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 3.2 Review: Edwards vs Callihan

Post by cero2k » Mar 4th, '18, 11:13

Impact Wrestling
March 2nd, 2018
Orlando, Fl.

Straight to wrestling, no talking shenanigans...

Ethan Carter III vs Tyrus - Squash!
ECIII is avoiding getting in the ring with Tyrus, and when he does, Tyrus kicks his ass. Carter had heat on Tyrus for a bit, but Tyrus turned it back and pin him with a Tongan Death Grip. This was arguably a squash match with a small hope spot. If ECIII is leaving, may as well send him packing a bunch of losses. Lot of comedy here. Tyrus may be getting a main event push soon.

Joseph Park on the Phone - He's promising his grandma that Abyss won't come out tonight.

OVE Camera video - They're looking at torn up pictures and he finds one with Eddie and a bat (in hindsight, this would be better shown next week), Callihan cuts a promo saying that they're taking over and that they're going to hurt Eddie. Callihan tells me to look him in the eyes and tell him he's not being serious, but his cap is sideways and so, no I can't take him serious. Before the Eddie pic, there was an Impact one. Impact vs Callihan in the future?

El Hijo del Fantasma vs Braxton Sutter - 6.5/10
Fantasma sporting a Punisher mask tonight. Well, look who's back. I think at this point we can be sure that the last time Braxton walked out on Allie, they did break up. Josh did talk about how Sutter had been a dick now that he had returned, Sonjay said that this could be due to Allie being missing in his life.

Match was fast paced and back and forward. Everything was ok until Fantasma hit the Arrow from the Depths of Hell that was beautiful. As they returned to the ring, they started going for finishers and near falls, worth mentioning because all of the Sutter pins, he tried to cheat. Fanstama won clean with the Thrill of the Hunt. Perfectly well wrestled match

Post-match - Sutter explained the situation with Allie saying that she messes up lives. He complained that the company is pushing him back, and suddenly, The Machine "Brian Cage" comes out and kills Sutter with the Drill Claw. If Cage is indeed working towards a streak, we can't count this, so I wasn't a big fan.

Matt Sydal Package - Good. Talks about winning the title and he says he wants to introduce his spiritual advisor to the world.

Matt Sydal Interview - He is talking about the next match, Ishimori comes out and gives Sydal a note, McKenzie reads it. Ishimori challenges Sydal to make it a title vs title match! Sydal had shades of heel here. This little minute interview turned out to be a HUGE deal!

Kongo Kong w/Jimmy Jacobs vs Joseph Park - Squash
As expected, Kong kills Park for a while and then gets pinned by the Big Splash from the top rope.

Post-match - Jacobs nicely asks Park to bring Abyss back. Kongo chokes out Joseph with Jacobs' scarf. Jacobs says they're just getting started as they leave Park's choked out body in the ring. Jacobs should do his homework and realize that Abyss comes out when Park bleeds, not passes out.

Cult of Lee 'Party" - It's not the party Lee expected. Lee says that with them stealing the bandanas, they got in LAX's heads. Mumbai Cats come and CoL messes with them. Suddenly Konnan arrives, he gets face to face with Lee, and behind them we get the visual of the Cats unmasking to reveal Ortiz and Santana. LAX beat up CoL a bit before throwing them to the pool.

Alberto El Patron Promo - Awesome promo saying that Impact's spot belongs to him and his main goal is the championship. This was seriously one of the best heel Patron promos I've seen.

Hania the Huntress vs Rosemary - 5.5/10
Man, Rosemary just kicked Hania's ass, who had like one or two spots in, but otherwise a dominant win by Rosemary. It was unfortunately, shorter than I hoped.

Post-match - She says that now that she has taken care of Hania, she's going back for the Knockout's Championship. Suddenly the lights go out and we get the return of the Queen TAYA VALKYRIE!

Taya just kinda talks shit to Rosemary saying that instead of Alpha Bitch, Rosemary should be called "Taya's Bitch". They get face to face and Taya backs out, but ends up attacking Rosemary, she hits the Road to Valhalla on the ramp to leave her for dead.

GWN Moment of the Week - I'm starting to turn on these videos because they do at least feature matches that I once loved and in this particular case, Eddie vs Lashley, I can see how it reminds the new or returning fans, why Eddie should still be considered a big deal in Impact Wrestling.

Laurel Van Ness Saga Recap - It was a nice music video about the downs and deeper downs that Van Ness fell through last year ending with the one 'up' when she captured the championship early this year. She wants to marry her title as a way to commit herself that she will never be parted away from the title.

Laurel Van Ness and KOs Championship Commitment Ceremony - KM will be the minister, so now that Lambert left him, he has turned to religion for sanctuary. He also has been working on his Michael Buffer impersonations. KM started kinda tried to use this to get himself over.

Van Ness came out and they made a big deal about being barefoot. KM kinda botched (maybe?) the ceremony and Van Ness had to remind him to the objections part. Only objection that comes out is Braxton Sutter and in a big swerve, he asks for forgiveness and proposes again to Van Ness, but Laurel rejects him and tells him to fuck off!

Once again Laurel tells KM to ask for more objections. At this point it's obvious that this was a whole plan from Van Ness to lure Allie out, but Allie turns things around and jumps Van Ness from behind wearing a disguise as a camera staff. Pretty good execution, but I can see how a lot of people are not gonna get the true intentions in Laurel's plans. Allie vs Van Ness happens next week at Crossroads.

Impact vs Aries Build Up Video - Great stuff. Crossroads match should be awesome.
Sami Callihan /OVE vs Eddie Edwards - 8.5/10
I wonder how hard would it be to hire Kagetsu to join OVE, I think her look would work perfectly with them. Early in the match, Crist brothers got sent to the back, so we actually had a proper one-on-one fight, and oh boy, it was a fight!

Match started with 3 dives and that pace didn't go down all match. They fought inside the ring, they fought outside the ring, they dropped each other with piledrivers on the apron, from which Callihan worked the head/neck area. The match went on back and forward, ending with Edwards reversing Callihan into a pin for the clean win.

Post-match - Callihan attacks Eddie with the bat, drops him with a shoulder breaker.
In the back, we saw Dave an Jake attack Lashley making sure he can't help Edwards. In the ring, Callihan puts a chair on top of Edwards, Callihan hits the chair, but the chair kinda tilted and the bat went straight to Edwards' face, ugly stiff botch. They just cut to a visual of Callihan's face to close the show. This is legit, so I wonder how they deal with this for Crossroads where Lashley and Edwards are set to take on the Crist brothers.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Fucking great show! As the Crossroads go-home show, this show did a good job leaving everything seemingly ready, even with Aries vs Impact that were not in the show, they had the video packages and constant references to leave you ready.

Next week is Crossroads with Impact vs Aries, Sydal vs Ishimori (title vs title!), Allie vs Van Ness, LAX vs Cult of Lee, and the Edwards/Lashley vs OVE thing. Card looks amazing.

Big Red Machine

Re: Impact Wrestling 3.2 Review: Edwards vs Callihan

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 4th, '18, 11:33

cero2k wrote: Mar 4th, '18, 11:13 Laurel Van Ness and KOs Championship Commitment Ceremony - KM will be the minister, so now that Lambert left him, he has turned to religion for sanctuary. He also has been working on his Michael Buffer impersonations. KM started kinda tried to use this to get himself over.

Van Ness came out and they made a big deal about being barefoot. KM kinda botched (maybe?) the ceremony and Van Ness had to remind him to the objections part. Only objection that comes out is Braxton Sutter and in a big swerve, he asks for forgiveness and proposes again to Van Ness, but Laurel rejects him and tells him to fuck off!

Once again Laurel tells KM to ask for more objections. At this point it's obvious that this was a whole plan from Van Ness to lure Allie out, but Allie turns things around and jumps Van Ness from behind wearing a disguise as a camera staff. Pretty good execution, but I can see how a lot of people are not gonna get the true intentions in Laurel's plans. Allie vs Van Ness happens next week at Crossroads.
I don't think this was a botch. I think the idea was that KM didn't realize what Laurel was really up to. He thought she legit wanted to get married to the title belt.
cero2k wrote: Mar 4th, '18, 11:13 This is legit, so I wonder how they deal with this for Crossroads where Lashley and Edwards are set to take on the Crist brothers.
I think the best thing to do would be to turn this into Sami vs. Lashley, no DQs or in a cage or something,
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 4th, '18, 11:41

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 4th, '18, 11:33
I don't think this was a botch. I think the idea was that KM didn't realize what Laurel was really up to. He thought she legit wanted to get married to the title belt.

I think the best thing to do would be to turn this into Sami vs. Lashley, no DQs or in a cage or something,
Either that or get someone to join Lashley, it was 2-on-3 to begin with, so i think it naturally needed someone else to begin with, and run with that team for now until Edwards was good to come back.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 4th, '18, 12:05

cero2k wrote: Mar 4th, '18, 11:41
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 4th, '18, 11:33

Either that or get someone to join Lashley, it was 2-on-3 to begin with, so i think it naturally needed someone else to begin with, and run with that team for now until Edwards was good to come back.
I'm actually pretty sure Josh said that it would be 2-on-2 with Sami on the outside.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 4th, '18, 20:04

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 4th, '18, 12:05

I'm actually pretty sure Josh said that it would be 2-on-2 with Sami on the outside.
but the feud itself if 3-on-2 and i doubt that Crossroads was gonna be the end

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 4th, '18, 22:28

cero2k wrote: Mar 4th, '18, 20:04
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 4th, '18, 12:05

but the feud itself if 3-on-2 and i doubt that Crossroads was gonna be the end
I'm just going by what I thought Josh said. Neither option is any better or worse for the feud at this point.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 5th, '18, 15:13