Current/Former World champions in TNA...deserving?

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
ECWFlairfan

Current/Former World champions in TNA...deserving?

Post by ECWFlairfan » Jan 4th, '11, 20:23

Are the current & former World champions currently in TNA deserving of their championship status?

Abyss-1x NWA
AJ Styles-3x NWA, 1x TNA
Desmond Wolfe-1x ROH
Jeff Hardy-1x TNA, 1x WWE, 2x WWE World
Jeff Jarrett-6x NWA, 3x USWA, 3x WCW, 2x WWA (14x champion)
Kurt Angle- 1x IWGP, 3x TNA, 1x WCW, 1x WWE World, 4x WWE (10x champion)
Rob Van Dam-1x ECW, 1x TNA, 1x WWE
Samoa Joe-1x ROH, 1x TNA
Tommy Dreamer- 2x ECW

Deserving of more: AJ Styles, Jeff Jarrett, Samoa Joe
Deserving: Desmond Wolfe, Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam, Tommy Dreamer
Not Deserving: Abyss, Jeff Hardy

Notes: Hardy deserves his WWE titles but noit his TNA one yet, Abyss deserves a caretaker TNA title reign but not a NWA title reign...

What do you think?

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Current/Former World champions in TNA...deserving?

Post by cero2k » Jan 4th, '11, 20:32

abyss, wolfe, and Joe deserve more
Jarrett and Angle deserve fewer reigns
hardy and dreamer deserve less

you forgot Hogan, Foley, Naitch, Sting, Tazz, and Richards who i think is a former NWA World Champ

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 4th, '11, 20:37

I don't think it's for us to say that someoe isn't deserving of having been world champion.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

ROB_BLACK

Post by ROB_BLACK » Jan 4th, '11, 21:44

In my opinion Rob Van Dam was in no way "deserving" of his first TNA World Title, for a couple of reasons.

1. He won the title on his DEBUT in TNA. I've always considered RVD as one of my favorite wrestlers of all time but to have him win the title the moment he stepped foot in the front door just seemed like a bargaining chip to keep Rob in TNA for as long as possible.

2. The way in which Rob won the title was horrible. It wasn't even a full match - It was a surprise run in that lasted less then 60 seconds. I could understand if Rob was a Heel maybe, winning the sneak attack over TNA's top Face would've worked but other than that it was a stupid move by TNA.

3. Granted RVD has a lot of history in the wrestling world he has NONE in TNA. There are a bunch of guys on TNA's roster who've been there longer, that at the time deserved a title shot more then Rob. I guess I'm just repeating my first point.

4. To sum up, his title win was never earned and I think that's what will always get up my nose about the whole thing.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 4th, '11, 21:45

it wasn't his debut, but it was pretty close to having debuted...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 4th, '11, 21:48

ROB_BLACK wrote:In my opinion Rob Van Dam was in no way "deserving" of his first TNA World Title, for a couple of reasons.

1. He won the title on his DEBUT in TNA. I've always considered RVD as one of my favorite wrestlers of all time but to have him win the title the moment he stepped foot in the front door just seemed like a bargaining chip to keep Rob in TNA for as long as possible.

2. The way in which Rob won the title was horrible. It wasn't even a full match - It was a surprise run in that lasted less then 60 seconds. I could understand if Rob was a Heel maybe, winning the sneak attack over TNA's top Face would've worked but other than that it was a stupid move by TNA.

3. Granted RVD has a lot of history in the wrestling world he has NONE in TNA. There are a bunch of guys on TNA's roster who've been there longer, that at the time deserved a title shot more then Rob. I guess I'm just repeating my first point.

4. To sum up, his title win was never earned and I think that's what will always get up my nose about the whole thing.
You are confusing things. The match you are thinking of is RVD vs. Sting. RVD won the title when he beat AJ the night after Lockdown, over a month later.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

ROB_BLACK

Post by ROB_BLACK » Jan 4th, '11, 21:54

Big Red Machine wrote:
ROB_BLACK wrote:In my opinion Rob Van Dam was in no way "deserving" of his first TNA World Title, for a couple of reasons.

You are confusing things. The match you are thinking of is RVD vs. Sting. RVD won the title when he beat AJ the night after Lockdown, over a month later.
SHIT! Yeah you're right. Haha!

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Jan 6th, '11, 08:35

Big Red Machine wrote:

And after beating Jeff Hardy earlier in that episode of Impact...