BRM's thoughts on the 2/4/2011 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM's thoughts on the 2/4/2011 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 5th, '11, 17:17

BOOKER T! YAY.

VICKIE-KELLY SEGMENT- Not very good. There was just something missing from Vickie’s delivery here. I can’t put my finger on it, but it just seemed way too wooden and scripted. Also, there seems to be a LOT more going on here. Kelly’s reactions seemed to be WAY out of proportion. Also, Vickie seems to overestimate how much Kelly cares about Edge being World Champion. Ziggler also oversold Kelly’s slap in a way that just made him look weak. His initial reaction was eh, but to be down for as long as he was is ridiculous.
Edge comes down and makes the save. This 100% should have been Drew McIntyre. Ending their angle the way they did last week does nothing but make McIntyre look bad. This ABSOLUTELY should have been McIntyre’s spot, coming back to show that he actually does care about Kelly.
Production TOTALLY FAILED here. Dolph clearly wanted to show Kelly attacking Vickie, and instead, all we got was a picture of Edge Spearing Dolph. On a taped show, mistakes like this are inexcusable.
There was one thing I liked here, though. Props to whoever had Kelly wait a while before coming out. I HATE it when someone gets called out… and wouldn’t you know it… they JUST HAPPENED to be passing by the entrance ramp at that exact moment!

SLATER & GABRIEL vs. KOZLOV & SANTINO (w/Tamina)- 3.75/10. The Tag Team Champions lose in four minutes. THESE are you CHAMPIONS?

ELIMINATION CHAMBER QUALIFYING MATCH: Kofi Kingston vs. Drew McIntyre- 6.25/10. Good match, but I didn’t like the finish. Logically, I am okay with it (Del Rio has obviously paid off the guys who work the TitanTron), and booking-wise it starts a feud between Del Rio & Kofi, and also makes it so that the IC Champ doesn’t lose cleanly, but I just didn’t like it.

ELIMINATION CHAMBER QUALIFYING MATCH: Rey Mysterio vs. Jack Swagger- 6.25/10. Very anti-climactic finish. The roll-up in the way that Rey did it after the kick to the head from that position just seemed weird.

EDGE-KELLY SEGMENT- WOW! Kelly is really overreacting to stuff this week. It must be that time of the month.

DEO RIO FIESTA- ATROCIOUS! Del Rio goes from giving Edge an El Kabong to getting hit in the nuts by a blindfolded midget who was aiming for a piñata. Your Wrestlemania main-eventer, ladies and gentlemen.

We already got some build to Del Rio vs. Kofi tonight. We didn’t need this waste of time. And Rosa Mendes was just terrible. SHE DID NOTHING! Del Rio kicks Hornswoggle… and she just slips out of the ring like she doesn’t want to watch Hornswoggle get his ass kicked, but she isn’t willing to do anything at all to prevent it. She didn’t even call for help or anything. She just stood there on the outside. I am all for giving her to Del Rio as a valet, but to have her be what we assumed was a babyface and actually turns out to be nothing (and no, this doesn’t make her a heel. If she were going to be a heel, she would have laughed when Del Rio started pounding on Hornsowggle) is just pointless!

When Del Rio started pounding on Hornswoggle, Josh Matthews started to say “How can you condone or justify…” What? Violence against Hornswoggle? EASILY! Think of all of the torture his presence has caused all of us!

ELIMINATION CHAMBER QUALIFYING MATCH: Kane vs. Chavo Guerrero- Squash with a really cool spot.

ELIMINATION CHAMBER QUALIFYING MATCH: Big Show vs. Wade Barrett (w/the Corre)- 2/10. Apparently all it takes to pin the Big Show is a clothesline and a DDT. The ref bump just looked lame here. A good 80% of the credit I am giving this match comes from them making Jackson look like beast!

HADNICAP MIXED TAG TEAM MATCH FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Edge & Kelly Kelly vs. Dolph Ziggler & Lay-Cool (w/Vickie Guerrero)- Not really sure how to rate this one. Was it awesome? Not even close. And I hated the concept… but it told an outstanding story, and the finish was PERFECT.

After the match, though… Why is Kelly friendly with Edge all of a sudden? She proved him wrong! She would be saying “SEE! I TOLD YOU SO!” Then Vickie fires Kelly. Kelly cries on her way up the ramp… but I really don’t have that much sympathy for her because her own overreacting earlier in the show is what put her in this position in the first place.

I like the World Title rematch with Vickie as Special Guest Referee set for next week.

Booker T was very good on commentary
Stupid Announcer Quotes:
1. Matthews- “FINALLY! Someone who disagrees with the things that Cole says.” Oh. Like you yourself do every week? THAT’S YOUR JOB, MATTHEWS!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Verdun

Re: BRM's thoughts on the 2/4/2011 Smackdown

Post by Verdun » Feb 5th, '11, 21:03

I like Booker T, but he seemed pretty rough on the commentary. He really needs to work at it. It was mostly Cole and Mathews talking with Booker T trying to nudge his way in to say something relevant. He really needs to work on inserting himself naturally and it felt like he slipped a bit too much on his words. It seriously reminded me of Dusty Rhodes on commentary.

Let's face it, we're not banking on Kelly's acting ability.

The Del Rio segment was just horrible.

What I would REALLY like is to see Wade showcase his ability without the interferences. I wanna see what he's capable of on his own. I really wanna rally behind him but I just don't get to see enough.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 6th, '11, 00:25

Verdun wrote:I like Booker T, but he seemed pretty rough on the commentary. He really needs to work at it. It was mostly Cole and Mathews talking with Booker T trying to nudge his way in to say something relevant. He really needs to work on inserting himself naturally
I think that this problem exists with any three-man booth.
Verdun wrote: and it felt like he slipped a bit too much on his words.
I am cutting him a bit of slack since this is his first time doing this, and for a first time, it was extremely good.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Feb 6th, '11, 00:52

Booker's commentary was a little rough, but it will take him time to adjust. He's like Matt Striker when he's not trying to make fun of everyone, he gives insight on a wrestler's strategy. As far as SmackDown!, the best match of the night was Kofi Kingston vs. Drew McIntyre, hands down. I don't know why they had Kane go against Chavo, REALLY!?! ( that's my Miz impression :D ) Plus, awesome spear by Kelly Kelly. I know she's just another pretty face, but I never had a problem with her being in the WWE. I hope she's is brought back.
R.I.P. Randy Mario Poffo, aka Randy "Macho Man" Savage
11/15/52 - 5/20/11

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 6th, '11, 09:00

Catus Jack Manson wrote:Booker's commentary was a little rough, but it will take him time to adjust. He's like Matt Striker when he's not trying to make fun of everyone, he gives insight on a wrestler's strategy. As far as SmackDown!, the best match of the night was Kofi Kingston vs. Drew McIntyre, hands down. I don't know why they had Kane go against Chavo, REALLY!?! ( that's my Miz impression :D ) Plus, awesome spear by Kelly Kelly. I know she's just another pretty face, but I never had a problem with her being in the WWE. I hope she's is brought back.
LOL he said big shows down
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 6th, '11, 18:57

Big Red Machine wrote:Edge comes down and makes the save. This 100% should have been Drew McIntyre. Ending their angle the way they did last week does nothing but make McIntyre look bad. This ABSOLUTELY should have been McIntyre’s spot, coming back to show that he actually does care about Kelly.
AGREED!