All Time: Best "King" gimmick?

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
NWK2000

All Time: Best "King" gimmick?

Post by NWK2000 » Apr 19th, '19, 11:31

I'm in the process of reviewing Wrestlemania 6 (expect it up today) and I came to conclusion that Macho King might be the best "King" gimmick in wrestling. But I got to thinking about all the great kings, and I love some of the best ones (King Regal, King Booker, Jerry "The King" Lawler) for different reasons. So I wanted to ask the forum, who do YOU think is the best King in wrestling?
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: All Time: Best "King" gimmick?

Post by cero2k » Apr 19th, '19, 12:52

If we're talking gimmick strictly, I can't vote for Minoru Suzuki or Triple H. Regal's reign was too short to really see how good it could get. So i'm gonna have to go with the only one that wasn't a a forced thing and made it work for years. Jerry Lawler.

Honorable mention to Matt Taven, as 'The King' I kinda like the gimmick, just not the wrestling.

I hated King Booker and King Sheamus. I don't remember much of Macho king or King Race tbh. King Barrett seems like lost in space and time, i can't remember anything from it.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 19th, '19, 13:08

Got to go with Lawler.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Apr 19th, '19, 15:39

cero2k wrote: Apr 19th, '19, 12:52 If we're talking gimmick strictly, I can't vote for Minoru Suzuki or Triple H. Regal's reign was too short to really see how good it could get. So i'm gonna have to go with the only one that wasn't a a forced thing and made it work for years. Jerry Lawler.

Honorable mention to Matt Taven, as 'The King' I kinda like the gimmick, just not the wrestling.

I hated King Booker and King Sheamus. I don't remember much of Macho king or King Race tbh. King Barrett seems like lost in space and time, i can't remember anything from it.

How dare you on the Regal thing. The time he demanded Raw go off the air mid title match because the crowd disrespected him is fantastic
phpBB [video]

Booker isn't to everyone's taste, I think there were specific elements of the character that I liked a lot (Sharmell, Regal, even JBL really putting stank on it on commentary) but yeah, Booker Huffman the performer didn't really do a ton other than do a funny voice.

You're right to hate King Sheamus, all he ever did was lose.. Barrett was also awful, and lost to the guy that played The Green Arrow

I think the reason why I didn't go with Lawler is because there have been times where it's been de-emphasized, and he was just "a dude with a crown" on commentary. I think to really nail the King gimmick, you have to be delusional and mad with power, which is why Regal coincidentally is one of my favorites.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 19th, '19, 16:10

maybe i'm just not remembering a lot, Regal was just King for like a month, right? I think he could had been the best, i still have the image of him seating in the throne after winning, he looked evil, like legit full of power

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Apr 19th, '19, 17:06

Long Live The King!

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Apr 19th, '19, 20:21

Bob-O wrote: Apr 19th, '19, 17:06 Long Live The King!

He looks like someone snapped a picture of him on the toilet

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Apr 20th, '19, 04:46

NWK2000 wrote: Apr 19th, '19, 20:21 He looks like someone snapped a picture of him on the toilet
I like that his signature has a question mark in it.

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 22nd, '19, 00:00

Lawyer gets it on longevity, without forcing it and with everyone accepting it both heel and face (as well as something like 137 world championship reigns during his run as The King 😂)

Honourable mention for me goes to King Booker. It drew a lot of heat, gave his wife a job and it got really over.
Have A Nice Day!