BRM Reviews the 5/14/2019 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/14/2019 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '19, 23:41

The preview of tonight’s Smackdown in the Fios guide was “Raw superstars take advantage of the Wild Card Rule from London.”
This tells us two things:
1. Whoever sent Fios this guide didn’t pay attention to proper capitalization and spelling (it should be “Wildcard Rule.” “Wild Card Rule” would be if you were dealing with actual cards).
2. They think this Wildcard Rule is going to be such a draw that not only is that all they advertise, but their advertisement for Smackdown is all about Raw.

OPENING SEGMENT- meh
Roman Reigns comes out. The crowd was about 80-20 in his favor. Tom Phillips then put Roman over for “instigating the Wildcard Rule.” Oh dear Lord please don’t let this be “I started the Divas’ Revolution” all over again.
Roman said he had unfinished business from Raw last night. To help him take care of the problem that is Elias, he brought out The Miz. Is it just me, or are the same people using the Wildcard Rule every week?
When Roman brought The Miz out and Tom Phillips and said his piece, Byron Saxton piped in with “can I just say that this is quite AWESOME,” with the last word being said in an attempt at a Miz-like inflection. I know this isn’t a new thought or anything, but these announcers- and especially Saxton and Cole- come across as the least cool people in the world and their (surely Vince-directed) attempts to make the show and wrestlers seem cool instead do the exact opposite. This line made Saxton come off like a such a complete and total mark (and I use that term in the most derogatory way possible) to the point where it makes me wonder if Vince thinks that he is making Saxton be more relatable to the viewer because that’s what he thinks we all react like. This line was like a child’s impression of what a sophisticated, mature adult would sound like rather than being something a real adult would ever actually say.
We have yet another change to the Wildcard Rule, as now “four Superstars™ or teams” can cross brands with an invitation.
Miz started to cut a promo to build up his cage match against Shane on Sunday’s PPV but was interrupted by Shane, who has Elias with him. My initial thought was that this is the feud that it makes the most sense for people to be crossing over for, but then it hit me: Who sends out these invitations? The McMahons, right? Well if Vince and Shane both hate Roman and Shane hates Miz and we haven’t seen anything to indicate that Hunter and Steph have any love for Roman or for Miz the shouldn’t Shane and Vince be using the Wildcard Rule to bring their buddies over to the other show and get a big numbers advantage against a lone Miz on Raw and a lone Roman on Smackdown? Why do they keep letting their enemy have reinforcements when they could easily prevent it?
Shane says that Roman invited Miz. So do the wrestlers invite each other? Well then why doesn’t every just invite their allies every week? How is it determined which wrestlers get to invite people each week?
Shane then says he will “invoke his privilege” to ban Miz from the building, so I guess that’s yet another change to the Wildcard Rule.
Drifter cut a decent promo to build up to his PPV match with Roman, then Shane brought out Daniel Bryan & Erick Rowan to help them get rid of Miz. The heels surrounded the ring... and the fans were chanting for Daniel Bryan. Whoops. The heels attacked the babyfaces and beat them up until The Usos came out to make the save. So Roman got to make HALF of the invitations all by himself? That hardly seems fair to everyone else. Also, can’t Shane just order them ejected from the building, too?
The babyfaces stood tall and the heels retreated. Shouldn’t Shane just call security or the cops or someone to get Miz (and the Usos) ejected?

As they’re plugging things for tonight’s show, Graves asks “what on Earth does Bray Wyatt have in store for us this week?” Considering that it has been the same week video on both Raw and SD every week since the Firefly Funhouse debuted, I’m going to guess it’s going to be the same video from Raw, Corey... which you already saw!

SHANE, BRYAN, ROWAN, & THE DRIFTER BACKSTAGE- fine
Shane books the four of them against Roman & the Usos in a handicap match with the stipulation that if Miz comes anywhere near ringside, the Miz vs. Shane cage match at the PPV is cancelled. Bryan’s bit did serve to frame this as himself and Rowan wanting revenge on the Usos so that explains why Shane didn’t just book a four on one handicap match instead.

FATAL FOUR-WAY MATCH: Randy Orton vs. Mustafa Ali vs. Finn Balor vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas (w/Zelina Vega)- 6.75/10
Orton and Vega both cut “I/my client am/is going to win MITB” promos before the match. The babyfaces didn’t get to talk. When this talking was done they went to a commercial. The previous commercial break was before the segment with the heels backstage, so they just gave us an entire commercial-to-commercial segment (is there an official name for those?) of nothing but talking.
They used ladder because of the bullsh*t “no DQs in a four-way” rule. Obviously the real reason for this was the old “give them a taste of the gimmick so that they’ll want to see it in use full force at the PPV,” but with the way they push the MITB contract as the most important thing ever (more on that in a moment), that in and of itself should theoretically be all you need to sell the PPV, so why are we having these guys risk their health by doing ladder spots in this pointless match? Andrade pinned Balor, so that’s a champion doing a job. Last time they did this with these two they weren’t planning on it leading to anything but it wound up doing so by accident. We’ll see if this time is any different.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
Andrade set up the ladder and climbed it for symbolism. Then Ricochet came out and jumped up onto the ladder and started punching Andrade and knocked him off, then took the briefcase down. What the hell was the point of this, other than to be a moment-stealing asshole? In two days they’ve turned Ricochet into a total dick, and weren’t even creative enough to come up with a second thing for him to do.
I mean really! What purpose did doing this serve that wasn’t already served by having him do essentially the same thing to Corbin on Raw? You wasted one of your precious Wildcard Rule spots on this? And speaking of those spots, who invited Ricochet to Smackdown? We had better see him do something else tonight or else it appears that whoever invited him to Smackdown just wasted spot for everyone by inviting him to show up just so they could hang out away from the cameras.

Anyway, when we came back from the first commercial break in this match, we were greeted by the announcers having a painfully scripted conversation about the MITB briefcase. This PPV cannot come soon enough. I am so sick and tired of hearing the announcers say the same crap about this f*cking MITB contract... and I have actually skipped two of the shows during the build-up, so I can only imagine that for someone who has watched everything it’s even worse.
Corey Graves urges me to “think of all the Superstars™ who have earned the right to be Mr. or Ms. Money in the Bank and how it has completely changed not only their WWE careers but also their life, their livelihoods, the trajectory of everything in their career.”
Okay, Corey. Challenge accepted. We don’t actually know anything about how it has changed people’s lives or livelihoods outside of their WWE careers because you never show us any of that, so we’ll only look at how it has changed people’s careers:
Edge- This win and cash-in cemented him as a main eventer and all but created the “Ultimate Opportunist” character he became known for.” So that’s a point for WWE.
Rob Van Dam- He finally got to win a world title, but then two nights later said he didn’t care about that title and was much more interested in the ECW Title that Paul Heyman just awarded him. After he lost his WWE Title he sank back down to the upper-midcard spot he had occupied for his entire five years in WWE before that, and which he would occupy for his entire return run in 2013, so really not much of a change for RVD.
Mr. Kennedy- It didn’t do anything for him because he lost it to Edge, who the second cash-in didn’t really do anything for because he was already a top name and known for doing such things.
CM Punk- His first one didn’t really do anything for him as he was back in the midcard the moment he lost it. His second definitely changed the trajectory of his career but it was really more the fans’ reaction to him cashing in on Jeff Hardy that changed the trajectory of his career than actually winning the title. The run that resulted from this did cement him as a main event eventer, so we’ll be generous and give WWE the point for Punk even though the first cash-in didn’t do anything for him.
Jack Swagger- He won the world title, lost it two months later, and by about two months after he lost it, only the most ardent Jack Swagger fans (like myself) even remembered that it had happened. For those of you keeping score at home, WWE is only 2/5 right now.
Kane- He was already his own level of main eventer when he won MITB and successfully cashed in on Rey Mysterio Jr., and like usually happened with Kane, he was mostly gone from the title picture when he lost the belt.
Miz- This win and successful cash-in definitely made his career and he lived off of it for years. 3/7
Alberto Del Rio- He was already a main eventer and former world champion when he won MITB and successfully cashed in. And for Del Rio we know that it didn’t change his livelihood at all because his whole gimmick was that he was already filthy rich.
Daniel Bryan- We’ll be very nice to WWE with this one, as him cashing in MITB successfully wound up being the initial wingbeat for the butterfly effect that turned him into a superstar and permanent main eventer. 4/9
Dolph Ziggler- This definitely did make Dolph into a superstar and a main eventer for about six months, so we’ll count it. 5/10
John Cena- He was already a megastar and multi-time world champion when he won it and didn’t even cash in successfully.
Damien Sandow- Winning MITB and then failing his cash-in attempt was the beginning of the end for him. He eventually got over doing a comedy gimmick where he imitated The Miz.
Randy Orton- He was already a megastar and multi-time world champion when he won and cashed in MITB. 5/13.
Seth Rollins- His cash-in elevated him to superstardom. 6/14
Sheamus- Had already been a main eventer who wound up getting sent back down the card. The MITB win set him up for another short title run and he was back to being a midcarder a few weeks later.
Dean Ambrose- It’s hard to tell whether he would have wound up with the title at some point without MITB but this was his first win, he got a decent-length run with it, and definitely felt like more of a star because of it for the remainder of his WWE career so we’ll count it. 6/16
Baron Corbin- He was a boring midcarder when he won it, then he failed to cash it in. He is currently a boring upper-midcarder who has more go-away heat than anyone else in the company, so MITB didn’t help him one bit.
Carmella- Her MITB win and cash-in definitely made her career. Like The Miz, while I doubt she’ll ever rise to that level again, but having that first run allows it to at least feel like it’s a possibility, and MITB made that possible. 7/18
Alexa Bliss!- She was already a five-time champion and the division’s top heel when she won MITB and successfully cashed in.
Braun Strowman- He was already a top guy when he won MITB and he never actually won the title at any point so it didn’t really do much for him in the end, did it?
Final tally: 7/20 (and it could be 7/22 if we were counting Edge and Punk’s two runs separately). That doesn’t really fit with the way they’re pushing this thing, now does it? I’m not trying to say that MITB shouldn’t be pushed as important. What I’m trying to say is that they should focus their push on the fact that you get a great chance to win the world title instead of spouting all of this hyperbole about how it changes your life. That hyperbolic stuff should be implicitly understood by the audience as a consequence of becoming world champion. If the audience doesn’t implicitly understand that, then you’ve got a much bigger problem.

CARMELLA PROMO- fine
She says she will win MITB because she has won it twice before.

KOFI & WOODS BACKSTAGE- Woods tells Kofi not to come out tonight because he’s too injured. Haven’t they done this several times already in this feud?

CHARLOTTE VS. BECKY STUFF- They had a video package. It was fine. But...
Since I didn’t review Raw, I thought I’d take this opportunity to give my thoughts on what they did with the contract signing angle. It wasn’t bad, but I thought they missed a relatively unique opportunity for artsy storytelling by doing both contract signings at once. If I were booking it, I would have announced contract signings for both nights, the Raw one on Raw and the SD one on SD. During the Raw one I would have Lacey attack Becky and put her through a table. Then, on Smackdown, I’d have Charlotte capitalize on Becky’s vulnerable state due to the injuries from Raw and do the same exact thing, while the announcers ask us “if this is what happened to Becky when she had an entire day’s rest between fights, how will she survive at MITB when she will have at most a few hours’ between her matches?

LACEY EVANS PROMO- fine
So she’s the fourth Wildcard Rule crossover, right?

ALEISTER BLACK PROMO- I liked this a lot. Certainly enough to forgiven him for forgetting an indefinite article and switching around the world “old” and “odd” in his attempt to quote King Richard III.

HANDICAP MATCH IN WHICH IF MIZ GETS INVOVLED HIS MATCH WITH SHANE MCMAHON AT THE PPV IS CANCELLED: Roman Reigns & the Usos vs. Shane McMahon, Daniel Bryan, Erick Rowan, & “The Drifter” Elias Sampson- 7/10

Saxton says that Shane “clearly wants no part of The Miz and is flexing his corporate muscle to avoid as much as he can.” Well if he wants to avoid Miz so badly when then why doesn’t he cancel the PPV match? He clearly has to power to do so or else the threat of the stipulation of this match is totally empty.
Graves (read as: “Vince”) took a shot at us internet fans being upset about not getting results we want thus trying l “invalidate” the undesired result. Another line, slightly less clear if it was fed from Vince just because of the speed at which Graves and Saxton were going back and forth, was Saxton saying “of course, if your boss is leading it, why wouldn’t it be well oiled?” Well, “Byron,” perhaps that boss might be so out of touch with reality that the oil he keeps handing you and ordering you to pour onto the gears is actually a bottle of soy sauce and he’s such an egomaniac that he won’t listen, even after numerous people did their sushi in it right in front of his face?
The conversation continued on with Graves proclaiming the greatness of the McMahon family, and daring Byron to “go on strike, and see how much the world changes.” Is that Vince daring us to stop watching and telling us things won’t change even if we do?
Anyway, these guys had a really enjoyable match whose main failing was that it never at any point really felt like a handicap match because there were so many babyfaces even with the disadvantage. The heels got the win, but then Miz charged down to ringside with a chair and helped them put a beating on the heels, though Shane escaped unscathed. Didn’t Shane “cancel” Miz’s invitation to Smackdown? So shouldn’t security have removed him from the building and shouldn’t he still get in trouble for now showing up without an invitation?

FIREFLY FUNHOUSE- fine, I guess
Rambling Rabbit has apparently been resurrected. Bray tells us that he has a secret. Playing the role of BRM in every Bray Wyatt promo from mid-2014 to mid-2016, the witch said “this had better be good.” Then, playing the role of BRM from every Bray Wyatt promo since then, the buzzard said “let’s hurry it up. I’ve got stuff to do.”
Bray says he has learned to harness his darkness. Screen effects happened and Bray has a deeper voice and an evil clown mask. So I guess we’re getting a Keiji Mutoh/Great Muta type of deal

EMBER MOON SELFIE PROMO- This was a mixed bag. The emotion was good, but some of the verbiage was horrid.

BAYLEY SELFIE PROMO- good.
Like everyone else, she wants to win MITB.

PAIGE PROMO- bad, simply for the ATROCIOUS name that has now been given to Asuka & Kairi: “The Kabuki Warriors.” Yes, really. Hopefully someone lets Crave Entertainment know so they can sue WWE and we can get rid of this name. Then again, they’re probably happy to have the “Kabuki Warriors” name attacked to someone else’s embarrassment instead of their turd of an X-Box game.
But I suppose it could be worse... although I will admit I am having trouble thinking of anything that would be worse other than naming them “Me Love You Long Time.” But on the bright side, at least now I have a real reason to continue using my list of Paige-themed nicknames.

FIRE & DESIRE PROMO- Whoever wrote this should be flogged. Mandy and Sonya are absolute pros for going out there and putting their all into this.

FIRE & DESIRE vs. KAIRI SANE & ASUKA (w/Paige)- 2/10
The IIconics were on commentary for this match. In by far the biggest surprise of the night, they were actually entertaining rather than their usual go-away heat annoying. The British Im-Paige-ion won clean when Mandy asked to get tagged in after Sonya hit a spinebuster but then got rolled up. Mandy and Sonya were a notch below their usual in this match.

KAYLA BRAXTON TRIES TO INTERVIEW LARS SULLIVAN BUT SHE’S TOO SCARED- This told us nothing about Lars, so it was pointless.

KEVIN OWENS PROMO- This was shaping up to be a good promo, but was interrupted by Kofi Kingston coming out for...

THE KEVIN OWENS SHOW WITH SPECIAL GUEST KOFI KINGSTON- didn’t care for it.
Why did Kofi come out if Owens clearly wasn’t ready for him?
Owens stayed in the back and ordered a video package about himself played. He came out and fought with Kofi. Sami Zayn came out of the crowd and attacked Kofi, so that’s now a fifth person crossing shows even though it’s only supposed to be four. Again.
Woods came out to help Kofi but got beaten down. Kofi eventually took Zayn out and Owens backed off. The moment Owens didn’t come out for his own talk show and then played a video package, I started to zone out. The ending worked, but so much of the rest of this was dull or frustrating.

A decent episode of Smackdown, which probably makes it one of the best main roster shows of the year. How sad is that?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/14/2019 Smackdown

Post by NWK2000 » May 15th, '19, 00:04

Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 23:41

PAIGE PROMO- bad, simply for the ATROCIOUS name that has now been given to Asuka & Kairi: “The Kabuki Warriors.” Yes, really. Hopefully someone lets Crave Entertainment know so they can sue WWE and we can get rid of this name. Then again, they’re probably happy to have the “Kabuki Warriors” name attacked to someone else’s embarrassment instead of their turd of an X-Box game.
But I suppose it could be worse... although I will admit I am having trouble thinking of anything that would be worse other than naming them “Me Love You Long Time.” But on the bright side, at least now I have a real reason to continue using my list of Paige-themed nicknames.

I choose to think this name is a tribute to Great Kabuki, who needs more love. Furthermore, Asuka's been wearing a custom kabuki mask her entire WWE run, so it makes sense.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 15th, '19, 00:07

NWK2000 wrote: May 15th, '19, 00:04

I choose to think this name is a tribute to Great Kabuki, who needs more love. Furthermore, Asuka's been wearing a custom kabuki mask her entire WWE run, so it makes sense.
By that logic, the name of the team should be "The Kabuki-Pirate Connection," not "The Kabuki Warriors" because there is only one Kabuki warrior.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 15th, '19, 00:21

Big Red Machine wrote: May 15th, '19, 00:07

By that logic, the name of the team should be "The Kabuki-Pirate Connection," not "The Kabuki Warriors" because there is only one Kabuki warrior.
I bet Sane will come out with a cool Kabuki-Pirate outfit at some point and you'll have egg on your face

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 15th, '19, 00:39

NWK2000 wrote: May 15th, '19, 00:21
I bet Sane will come out with a cool Kabuki-Pirate outfit at some point and you'll have egg on your face
Better to have egg on my face than a Kabuki mask I am only wearing because someone gave my tag team a dumb name.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 15th, '19, 01:53

Big Red Machine wrote: May 15th, '19, 00:39

Better to have egg on my face than a Kabuki mask I am only wearing because someone gave my tag team a dumb name.
Meh, the weird bomber jackets sold me on The Bar, so I have no doubt a Kabuki Pirate would rule in my eyes.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 15th, '19, 10:18

Alright. New idea-

Me, BRM, And Bob-O for commentary in WWE instead.

...it writes itself.

Brm the face, I as the heel, and Bob-O doing color, and going back between sides when necessary.

Guaranteed better than current announcing.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 15th, '19, 10:19

KILLdozer wrote: May 15th, '19, 10:18
Guaranteed better than current announcing.
I mean... sure. But you could say the same about a dying cat.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 15th, '19, 14:33

This is twice now in two weeks SD hasn't been up on Wednesday at It's usual time on Hulu...

And it's only SD that ever does this....then you CAN'T fast forward or rewind at all because it REFUSES to go past a certain point.

Given how it's now just the same storylines on both shows...it's just a rerun anyways...idc at this point lol.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 15th, '19, 14:47

KILLdozer wrote: May 15th, '19, 14:33 This is twice now in two weeks SD hasn't been up on Wednesday at It's usual time on Hulu...

And it's only SD that ever does this....then you CAN'T fast forward or rewind at all because it REFUSES to go past a certain point.

Given how it's now just the same storylines on both shows...it's just a rerun anyways...idc at this point lol.
they're trying to force you to watch it live! don't give in! viva la resistance!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 15th, '19, 14:57

cero2k wrote: May 15th, '19, 14:47
KILLdozer wrote: May 15th, '19, 14:33 This is twice now in two weeks SD hasn't been up on Wednesday at It's usual time on Hulu...

they're trying to force you to watch it live! don't give in! viva la resistance!
Irdc though...at this point it's like watching the same shows over and over again, with the same people due to the wildcard, the same things constantly happening with no progression to the point it's tedious and tiresome, plus the OF COURSE repeating the same words and slogans in the SAME EXACT tone of voice every time...

I actually turned RAW off yesterday because it was just too much when they tried to get Bliss over SO HARD AS SO HEELISH on commentary, in their...bizarre very bad announcing style.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 15th, '19, 15:05

KILLdozer wrote: May 15th, '19, 14:57
Irdc though...at this point it's like watching the same shows over and over again, with the same people due to the wildcard, the same things constantly happening with no progression to the point it's tedious and tiresome, plus the OF COURSE repeating the same words and slogans in the SAME EXACT tone of voice every time...

I actually turned RAW off yesterday because it was just too much when they tried to get Bliss over SO HARD AS SO HEELISH on commentary, in their...bizarre very bad announcing style.
let me tell you about a little place called impact, where a big muscle giant Brian Cage is the world champion, defending against another mass of muscles Michael Elgin. With consistency and interesting characters, and it's only TWO hours! IMPACT! Replay - Mondays from 6 - 8 PM ET

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 15th, '19, 15:31

cero2k wrote: May 15th, '19, 15:05
KILLdozer wrote: May 15th, '19, 14:57

let me tell you about a little place called impact, where a big muscle giant Brian Cage is the world champion, defending against another mass of muscles Michael Elgin. With consistency and interesting characters, and it's only TWO hours! IMPACT! Replay - Mondays from 6 - 8 PM ET
Nice try, but this is Dozer we're talking about. Five bucks says Elgin doesn't meet his muscle threshold. Wait until Cage feuds with Moose before making the pitch.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 15th, '19, 18:27

cero2k wrote: May 15th, '19, 15:05 let me tell you about a little place called impact, where a big muscle giant Brian Cage is the world champion, defending against another mass of muscles Michael Elgin. With consistency and interesting characters, and it's only TWO hours! IMPACT! Replay - Mondays from 6 - 8 PM ET
Sami freaking Callihan.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 15th, '19, 18:28

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 15th, '19, 18:31

Bob-O wrote: May 15th, '19, 18:28

Fine. It's not racist... but it's still dumb.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation