BRM Reviews the 5/27/2019 Raw (terrible)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 5/27/2019 Raw (terrible)

Post by Big Red Machine » May 28th, '19, 14:38

OPENING SEGMENT- OH MY G-D SHUT THE F*CK UP AND WRESTLE ALREADY!
More bullsh*t about who Brock will decide to challenge, with Rollins and Kofi both looking like secondary figures, begging Brock to defend the title against them rather than not giving a sh*t and just saying “I’ll take Brock on if he chooses to cash in on me, but until he makes a decision, I don’t give a sh*t because there are many other challengers out there.”
WWE has killed the fun of Brock pretending the MITB briefcase was a boom box by giving it an official name, the “Beast Box.” Get ready to hear that several times an hour whenever Brock shows up. Also, they’ve painted speakers on the back of it. Uch.

Rollins eventually got bored and left. I feel you, buddy. I feel you. Kofi dared Brock to cash in on him but Heyman said that they weren’t going to make any announcement because Rollins left. F*CK. OFF. Someone tell Vince that this sh*t doesn’t get heat on the heels but rather gets heat on the company for wasting our time!
Then Dolph attacked Kofi but Woods made the save, and we’re finally off to a commercial. Also, we’ve now blown three of our four permitted Wildcard Rule invitees. Or maybe just two and Dolph is still on Raw. That question really should have been answered by now.

ZIGGLER ATTACKS AGAIN BACKSTAGE- repetitive
After a commercial, Dolph attacked Woods and Kofi backstage. He brawled away with Woods (Kofi is injured) and they brawled through the crowd. Dolph won the brawl. He was about to do terrible things to Woods but Kofi Kingston limping down to ringside was enough to scare Dolph off. I guess Big E. isn’t here because Owens’ off-screen attack on SD reinjured him. Poor guy.
This segment felt pointless and repetitive. The show has been extremely boring so far.

DOLPH ZIGGLER PROMO- the same overdramatic BS as usual. He thinks Kofi’s success should have been his and he’s going to win the belt at Super Showdown.

THE USOS ARE THROWING A “MEMORIAL DAY PARTY”- So we can add the Usos to the list of people who don’t understand what Memorial Day is supposed to be. Also, they are bullying The Revival in the manner of teenage girls, throwing a party at their place of work and saying that everyone other than The Revival is invited.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS SHANE MCMAHON- He’s got a warm-up match for Super Showdown tonight.
Shane (and Drew McIntyre) then came out for his match... but they stopped about halfway down the ramp and just went to the back and we went to a commercial. WHY DID THIS HAPPEN!?

HUNTER VS. ORTON VIDEO PACKAGE- by the time this ended, we were forty minutes into the show and have still not had a wrestling match.

SHANE MCMAHON PROMO- boring
When the video package ended, Shane was in the ring with music playing. So I guess that unlike everyone else, McMahons don’t have to stand around the ring looking stupid during a commercial break.
Shane talks about the respect that has always existed between the McMahons and the Anoa’I Family. I guess Shane has forgotten about all of the times the McMahons were feuding with The Rock. Shane drones on and asks “who from the Samoan Dynasty is going to walk down the aisle” and face me. Then we go to YET ANOTHER COMMERCIAL.

LANCE ANOA’I vs. SHANE MCMAHON (w/Drew McIntyre)- DUD!
Yup. ALMOST FIFTY MINUTES INTO THE SHOW we get our first match, and it’s Shane vs. a nobody to get heat for a Roman Reigns feud. Drew beat Lance up before the bell, which finally rang at close to the fifty minute mark. AEW has their big debut show two nights before and you come back with this? Speaking of AEW, the fans began to chant “AEW!” during this match. They also chanted “THIS IS AWFUL!” Shane won with his bad offense.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- snore
They beat Lance up after the match as well. Shane is completely blown up after a ninety-two second match. He taunted Lance while keeping him in a triangle until Roman Reigns showed up to make the save, so there is either your third or fourth your Wildcard Rule person. He beat up both Shane and Drew singlehandedly.

BROCK LESNAR & PAUL HEYMAN ARE BACK- F*CKING TERRIBLE!
The first thing Michael Cole does is point out that there is a referee in the ring already. They did the same segment again, but this time without Kofi, and also even dumber. This time Brock left because he got angry at Heyman for not telling him he had a year to cash in the MITB contract. How the hell do you work for this company and not know how MITB works?
So yeah. They’ve wasted our time AGAIN.

R-TRUTH AND CARMELLA ARE CHASED OUT OF THE CROWD BY A GAGGLE OF UNDERCARDERS- bad
So that’s now wrestlers number five and six for the Wildcard Rule. Or maybe four and five. Or maybe just four because being the 24/7 Champion means Truth no longer counts? Cole told us that Truth “has to defend that title, any time, any place.” But having to defend a title “any time, any place” does not mean that R-Truth is obligated to- or even allowed to, without special permission- show up whenever he wants. To our knowledge, there is no rule requiring Truth to show up on Raw, so showing up at all just makes him an idiot.
Also, why is Carmella with him? Are they the new New Day, where WWE doesn’t seem to understand that they’re actually separate people?
Anyway, Truth runs into the ring. Someone people get nearfalls by trying to roll him up. There were several good seconds towards the end here where R-Truth was basically Frogger trying to avoid the various “cars” coming at him, but that was it. Carmella hopped on his back again, seemingly just to slow him down, and they ran out through the crowd, with the other wrestlers giving chase. This was the same segment we’ve seen several times now.
Cole and Graves tried to get this over as something serious while Renee just burst out laughing and gave us this atrocious “I LOVE the 24/7 Title. Anything goes!” while laughing and smiling. That right there is how Vince envisions the entire audience reacting.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS AJ STYLES- good
AJ had been booked as part of a #1 contendership four-way elimination match tonight (along with Lashley, Braun, and Miz) but is injured, and is being replaced with... f*cking Baron Corbin. Corbin jumped AJ right before AJ could tell us how long the doctors think he might be out for. AJ’s promos was good and Corbin came across as a menacing bully but also a dick, which was exactly how WWE wanted him to come across.

BECKY LYNCH & NIKKI CROSS vs. THE IICONICS- 4.5/10
The tag champs got their entrance cut AGAIN. Also, they lost AGAIN. Also, everything unique has now been stripped away from Nikki Cross, both in the ring and out of it. We get that the IIconics are Mean Girls. You don’t have to have an announcer saying that NIKKI CROSS was talking to him/her earlier about being bullied in high school by such people.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
Lacey Evans came out to do her pointless walk-by, so she’s back to doing nothing of note.

TAMINA SHOWS UP AT THE USOS PARTY- Someone has remembered that she, Naomi, and the Usos are all related.

THE REVIVAL SHOWS UP AT THE PARTY- terrible
They’re under the impression that they have been invited. Instead of being the bigger men and just letting them stay, the Usos are jerks about it. Naomi reveals that she invited The Revival so that she could get them and the Usos to talk it out an dbut this petty buillsh*t behind them. Well... at least there is one adult in the room.

The announcers plugged Super Showdown, including the 50-man “largest battle royale in WWE history.” To get us excited about this, Renee Young asked us “can you imagine the bragging rights?” No, Renee, I can’t. Maybe if I had something similar to reference- like, say, someone winning a 50-man Royal Rumble- the biggest one in WWE history- and then bragging about it, I might be able to imagine what these bragging right would be like, but nothing like that has ever happened before so I can’t use it as a frame of reference.
Oh. Right. Something like that has happened before. It happened just last year. And the reason I forgot about it was because NO ONE EVER MENTIONED IT AGAIN. So why should I think this time will be any different?

RICOCHET vs. CESARO- 6/10
A good showcase for Ricochet’s athleticism, with quite the finish.

REY MYSTERIO WILL BE HERE TO RELINQUISH THE UNITED STATES TITLE NEXT WEEK DUE TO INJURY- Thanks for the update. Samoa Joe came out and said he would take the title back next week. Jope was excellent, as always.

THE USOS AND THE REVIVAL ARE PLAYING THE BEANBAG TOSSING GAME- Apparently this game is also called “cornhole,” so cue the juvenile jokes.

MIZ PROMO- fine.

BRAUN STROWMAN PROMO- I’ve never heard anyone congratulate someone else on a pregnancy in an angrier manner. Also, I really don’t get this “get these hands” catchphrase. It sounds like someone’s pathetic PG substitute for “kick your ass.”

FATAL FOUR-WAY ELIMINATION MATCH FOR A WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE SHOT AT SUPER SHOWDOWN: The Miz vs. Baron Corbin vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Braun Strowman- 5.75/10
Lashley got to cut his own inset promo. He was very good. Not quite TNA Lashley yet, but he’s getting back up there.
The commentary kept screwing up whether or not these were elimination rules. Also, Renee clearly doesn’t know what the expression “no honor among thieves” means.
They did four-way stuff for a while. Eventually Corbin and Lashley double-teamed the babyfaces. Braun made a comeback and eventually he and Lashley brawled away. Miz and Corbin did a few spots, then Corbin pinned Miz and was declared the winner, even though this is an elimination match, and as WWE loves to tell us, you can’t get counted out in a multi-man match, so we were never given any logical explanation for why the match didn’t continue. How did no one see the finish of this match and not alert the announcers and ring announcer to stop calling it an elimination match? This is such amateur hour bullsh*t that there is absolutely no excuse for it happening in ANY company, never mind WWE.
As for the match itself, at no point was it ever exciting, and Lashley and Braun in particular seemed to be going a full step slower than regular speed when they were working together.

BROCK & HEYMAN ARE STILL HERE- You’re already killed any chance of me believing he’ll cash in tonight, so just f*ck off, okay?

THEY’RE STILL PLAYING BEANBAG TOSS- stupid
There is a large man who Dash Wilder appears to be grinding on. They’re getting way too animated to be believable for a game of beanbag toss. This is not a game people play for fun; it’s a game they play while waiting for the football game to start!
Then R-Truth showed up to publicly announce to everyone that he is not here. Kalisto tried to roll him up but he kicked out. Ditto with Karl Anderson, and now commence chase scene again. This is at least the fifth time we’ve gotten this same segment in the past eight days. We’ve gotten the Brock cash-in tease segment at least three times as well, Dolph has cut the same promo at least twice and also jumped Kofi at least twice, Becky Lynch and Nikki Cross have beaten the IIconics twice, Shane vs. Roman doesn’t feel like it has moved forward at all... IT SHOULDN’T BE THAT HARD TO MOVE THINGS ALONG! Stop it with this repetitive water-treading bullsh*t!

FIREFLY FUNHOUSE- I understand the messages they’re trying to send and seeds they’re trying to sow, but at the same time, they have yet to give me faith that they can actually deliver on any of this. I waited YEARS for an answer on the status of Sister Abigail and never got it, and at this point I don’t see how any answer can redeem the character. So what if she is some spirit Bray took a liking to to the point he has basically trapped her in limbo to draw on her magical powers even though all she wants to do is be allowed to rest in peace? Answers about the old Bray Wyatt aren’t going to get me interested in this new one unless you show me how the specific answers play into this new character (currently it is merely the idea of the old Bray Wyatt that plays into this new one).

Owens vs. Kofi has been announced for Smackdown. Michael Cole refereed to Owens as Kofi’s “longtime rival.” They been feuding for JUST OVER A MONTH!

SAMI ZAYN IS PLACED IN THE ELECTRIC CHAIR- very bad
Vince’s new plan to get people to tune in is to threaten to murder an indy darling every week.
Okay, not really. Instead we’ve got Graves spouting platitudes while Sami sits in this stupid prop electric chair and the interviewers run around ringside so that fans can ask Sami questions. I was shocked that Graves’ claim that “no question is off limits” did not prompt a loud round of “AEW!” chants.
One of the questioners was supposedly Izzy. I’m not sure if it’s the shoot Izzy or not. This small child did ask a question that I believe a small child would ask, but Kayla Braxton was being way too handsy with her, constantly rubbing her back so my guess is that she’s a plant. Either that or Kayla is getting a visit from the HR people tomorrow.
The third fan was a grown man who asked “how does it feel when Braun Strowman destroys you?” and then wooed. I know I just made a joke about Kayla doing something with a fan that could make said fan uncomfortable, but when this grown man asked a moronic question and then wooed, I really wanted Sarah Schreiber to push him down the stairs.
This reminded me a lot of the segments they tried back in the fall with Sasha and Bayley where they would make fun of Alexa Bliss!, and the only reason this was better than those is that Sami is a heel a thus I got to laugh along at him burying these losers for asking stupid questions.
Sami himself brought up AEW and that prompted the chant.
This was all bad set-up for Seth Rollins to come out because Sami said he could win the Universal Title whenever he wanted, but just wasn’t interested in doing so right now. Sami ran away and Seth destroyed the prop electric chair, the latter of which made Renee Young very upset. Cole then told us that these two had just been booked in a match that will happen next. It sure is lucky that Sami Zayn decided to say antagonistic things about the Universal Champion and that Seth Rollins is oversensitive to such behavior, because otherwise wouldn’t have had a main event.
If you want to book this match then JUST BOOK THE MATCH! Don’t waste six minutes of time that could have made a major difference in Ricochet vs. Cesaro on this moronic set-up. Or, even better, instead of booking this match, book a main event that will actually move a story along. Maybe do something to follow up on one of the sixteen pins the Viking Raiders have over the tag champions? It feels like the reason this match and segment happened were because someone said “we need to have Seth wrestle, and we need to have Sami do his talking thing,” to which I say “why?” Sami’s talking doesn’t actually move any angles forward. He just treads water. And Seth has already been in two segments tonight. And at this point no one believes Brock is going to cash in MITB tonight, so I doubt that having Seth wrestle will pull the ratings up, either.

SAMI ZAYN vs. SETH ROLLINS- 7.75/10
They immediately showed us a split-screen shot of the ring on one side and Brock in his locker room on the other while Cole explained to us that Brock has MITB and can cash in whenever he wants, YET AGAIN. The announcers tried to frame this match as Brock having gotten on under Rollins’ skin and thus making him make the mistake of wanting this match which could wear him out so that Brock could cash in, but Seth didn’t seem to be acting any differently than normal to me.
The match itself was great, with Rollins’ leg getting worked over. Rollins won clean, and despite Rollins’ injured state, Brock didn’t show up at all.

A bad, dull, boring, and frustrating episode of Raw. THIS was your response to AEW? Are you f*cking kidding me?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 5/27/2019 Raw (terrible)

Post by KILLdozer » May 28th, '19, 15:42

Sounds like last week's show.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 28th, '19, 16:16

KILLdozer wrote: May 28th, '19, 15:42 Sounds like last week's show.
Exactly the problem.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 28th, '19, 16:21

Big Red Machine wrote: May 28th, '19, 16:16
KILLdozer wrote: May 28th, '19, 15:42 Sounds like last week's show.
Exactly the problem.
I've been saying that over and over lol...funny how that works huh?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 28th, '19, 17:50

Big Red Machine wrote: May 28th, '19, 14:38 THE USOS AND THE REVIVAL ARE PLAYING THE BEANBAG TOSSING GAME- Apparently this game is also called “cornhole,” so cue the juvenile jokes.
That is literally the only name I know for that game.

It's a pretty big deal in my neck of the woods, tournaments around here can easily get 20 to 30 teams. I never do anything, and even I've got a set somewhere... very much a modern staple for any cookout. I guess when you say "cornhole" enough times it loses it's innuendo... yet, I still think Dolph Ziggler's name sounds stupid. Go figure.
Big Red Machine wrote: May 28th, '19, 14:38 Sami himself brought up AEW and that prompted the chant.
Easier to address that than, "Sami, are you excited for Super Showdown!?"

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 28th, '19, 19:27

Oh knock it off Brm. I'd expect that more from Bob-O or NWK...

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 31st, '19, 14:41

Okay so, the opening segment on Raw this week might be my favorite in a long damn while.

Like, sure, bitch about how much WWE branding (tm) it is for Brock to have a boombox MITB but I feel like that's something Brock would legit commission on his own considering there are like twelve variants of the Suplex City shirt. Brock or Heyman is just a a marketing wizard like that in kayfabe. Plus, remember when everyone would have custom MITB designs? I've been waiting for that to come back for years. Plus I love how disconnected Brock and Heyman are, where they're the only ones having a fun time but they get pissed off when no one else is. It's actually a fantastic reason to be a chickenshit heel, by just being a child about it.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 31st, '19, 15:09

NWK2000 wrote: May 31st, '19, 14:41 Okay so, the opening segment on Raw this week might be my favorite in a long damn while.

Like, sure, bitch about how much WWE branding (tm) it is for Brock to have a boombox MITB but I feel like that's something Brock would legit commission on his own considering there are like twelve variants of the Suplex City shirt. Brock or Heyman is just a a marketing wizard like that in kayfabe. Plus, remember when everyone would have custom MITB designs? I've been waiting for that to come back for years. Plus I love how disconnected Brock and Heyman are, where they're the only ones having a fun time but they get pissed off when no one else is. It's actually a fantastic reason to be a chickenshit heel, by just being a child about it.
I don't remember custom MITB designs, I just figured it was different color schemes for different years.

As for Brock, I'd mostly be okay if it was him commissioning it, but the problem comes in when they have the announcers put it over the way they do. He can't be the disrespectful outsider if the announcers are putting over his gimmicks the same way they do for anyone else. It's a "THE PIPEBOMB-THROWING SUPERSTAR!" problem.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 31st, '19, 15:36

Big Red Machine wrote: May 31st, '19, 15:09
I don't remember custom MITB designs, I just figured it was different color schemes for different years.
It was VERY early in the MITB's life. Mr.Kennedy, RVD, and Edge in his second reign had it. I think they put the kibosh on that with Punk
As for Brock, I'd mostly be okay if it was him commissioning it, but the problem comes in when they have the announcers put it over the way they do. He can't be the disrespectful outsider if the announcers are putting over his gimmicks the same way they do for anyone else. It's a "THE PIPEBOMB-THROWING SUPERSTAR!" problem.
I agree but I also get it. They're a publicly traded company that sells action figures and gear so of course they have to hammer certain points home so they can sell wacky action figures and wacky gear (I seriously want the Brock Party t-shirt)

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 31st, '19, 16:10

NWK2000 wrote: May 31st, '19, 15:36
Big Red Machine wrote: May 31st, '19, 15:09 As for Brock, I'd mostly be okay if it was him commissioning it, but the problem comes in when they have the announcers put it over the way they do. He can't be the disrespectful outsider if the announcers are putting over his gimmicks the same way they do for anyone else. It's a "THE PIPEBOMB-THROWING SUPERSTAR!" problem.
I agree but I also get it. They're a publicly traded company that sells action figures and gear so of course they have to hammer certain points home so they can sell wacky action figures and wacky gear (I seriously want the Brock Party t-shirt)
But they don't need to beat things into the ground to get people to buy merch. They just need to portray the wrestlers as cool and authentic and the wrestlers' will sell the merch based on their charisma. Michael Cole shouting "BOSS TIME!" whenever Sasha Banks came out didn't sell all those Sasha Banks t-shirts. Sasha Banks being cool sold those t-shirts. Ditto with Punk and Becky and Bryan and Hunter and Cena and Roman and Rock and Austin and Edge and Rey and Eddie and everyone else who has done big merch sales in the past twenty years. It's not Michael Cole calling someone "the man" or the big dog" that makes him/her cool and their merch sell. It's that person being cool.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 31st, '19, 16:43

Big Red Machine wrote: May 31st, '19, 16:10
Big Red Machine wrote: May 31st, '19, 15:09 As for Brock, I'd mostly be okay if it was him commissioning it, but the problem comes in when they have the announcers put it over the way they do. He can't be the disrespectful outsider if the announcers are putting over his gimmicks the same way they do for anyone else. It's a "THE PIPEBOMB-THROWING SUPERSTAR!" problem.
But they don't need to beat things into the ground to get people to buy merch. They just need to portray the wrestlers as cool and authentic and the wrestlers' will sell the merch based on their charisma. Michael Cole shouting "BOSS TIME!" whenever Sasha Banks came out didn't sell all those Sasha Banks t-shirts. Sasha Banks being cool sold those t-shirts. Ditto with Punk and Becky and Bryan and Hunter and Cena and Roman and Rock and Austin and Edge and Rey and Eddie and everyone else who has done big merch sales in the past twenty years. It's not Michael Cole calling someone "the man" or the big dog" that makes him/her cool and their merch sell. It's that person being cool.
Maybe it's because I grew up on 90s cartoons but the inclusion of a catchphrase regardless of how unnatural it sounds doesn't bother me. Again, you're right, and maybe I'm more of a simpleton than I think I am, but it just doesn't bother me.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 31st, '19, 17:48

NWK2000 wrote: May 31st, '19, 16:43

Maybe it's because I grew up on 90s cartoons but the inclusion of a catchphrase regardless of how unnatural it sounds doesn't bother me. Again, you're right, and maybe I'm more of a simpleton than I think I am, but it just doesn't bother me.
It's not the catchphrase that is the problem but rather the source. The catchphrase should be something the characters say and the characters should be the one saying it, not the horrendously un-hip, narrator.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 4th, '19, 11:02

Big Red Machine wrote: May 31st, '19, 17:48

It's not the catchphrase that is the problem but rather the source. The catchphrase should be something the characters say and the characters should be the one saying it, not the horrendously un-hip, narrator.
I 100% bought a “Latino Heat” shirt because Eddie Guerrero was the coolest thing in wrestling at the time, not because the announcers were shoe-horning it in at every opportunity. Same as one that says “the house that AJ Styles built” and so on.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 4th, '19, 11:20

Serujuunin wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 11:02
Big Red Machine wrote: May 31st, '19, 17:48

I 100% bought a “Latino Heat” shirt because Eddie Guerrero was the coolest thing in wrestling at the time, not because the announcers were shoe-horning it in at every opportunity. Same as one that says “the house that AJ Styles built” and so on.
I bought a "FEED! ME! MORE!" shirt because I have to keep eating and eating...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 4th, '19, 11:24

Cole just said "Welcome to the Uso Penitentiary!"

...Someone get on Twitter and tell him never do that again.

What's next?

"RUN UP! AND GET...DONE UP!!!"

???....