BRM Reviews the 7/1/2019 Raw

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/1/2019 Raw

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 1st, '19, 22:11

The show opens with the announcers plugging a promo by Seth and Becky, New Day vs. Viking Raiders, and a promo by Shane about Undertaking during which they strongly hinted that Undertaker would be making an appearance tonight. Also, we got a random cut to the Street Profits backstage.
This was extremely weird. They were on the screen for less than two seconds.

And we’re starting off the show with a match! And it’s a...

FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE MATCH: Braun Strowman vs. Bobby Lashley- 5/10
They were having a good brawl until they charged through the LED board, setting off an utterly ridiculous fireworks display, complete with overproduced camera shaking. Cue referees desperately calling for help and Corey Graves saying a naughty word, and you’ve got yourself an opening segment that, quite honestly, feels like a transparent plea for attention more than anything else.
Both guys got stretchered off, though thankfully a lot quicker than in most angles. And speaking of angles, the one they shot this from was very weird. It was like they had a hardcam on a scaffold conveniently pointed at that location.
When we got back from commercial, they were still being stretchered out, so I guess you can disregard what I said about this going faster than other stretcher angles. There were a lot of replays and the announcers were very somber. This took the first twenty minutes of the show.

THE VIKING RAIDERS vs. THE NEW DAY (Xavier Woods & Big E.)- no rating, okay segment.
They went for a few minutes before Samoa Joe came out of the crowd, yanked Woods off the apron and put him in the Coquina Clutch. Kofi ran out to make the save with a big leap off the stairs and the brawled with Joe. The Viking Raiders then attacked Kofi, so I guess they’re heels now. Referees broke it up and we went to a commercial, and when we returned, we were about to start a six-man tag. This angle definitely did its job well, but unless turning the Viking Raiders heel was something that needed to be done here, I would have much preferred to just see a six-man tag rather than a second straight non-finish in a match I was looking forward to.

THE NEW DAY vs. SAMOA JOE & THE VIKING RAIDERS- 5.25/10
By the way, the wildcard count is now at either one or two, depending on whether all three New Day guys count as being part of the same unit or the fact that they have turned into a group with a clear singles guy and a clear tag team means they count as two now. Or maybe it’s up to three because of the Street Profits (I would assume they are here visiting rather than having been called up).
Yeah... this definitely would have been better off as just a six-man tag. Darn that “no wrestling during the commercial match.” Even when it was just New Day vs. Viking Raiders I had no idea how they were going to get out of this without someone who shouldn’t do a job at the moment doing a job, and with Kofi and Joe added in I was even more curious. Well... they didn’t avoid the dilemma Joe made Kofi pass out in the Coquina Clutch, putting Joe over as by far the most dangerous threat Kofi has face in his title reign.

DRAKE MAVERICK HAS BROUGHT HIS WIFE TO RAW FOR THEIR HONEYMOON- She is not amused
She meets Dana Brooke, whose hair turning moldy. Or at least that’s normally what happens when I see those shades of blue and green. Drake’s wife makes him choose between her and the 24/7 Title. He chooses her... until R-Trith shows up. At this point Truth is just being a dick.

AJ STYLES, LUKE GALLOWS, & KARL ANDERSON BACKSTAGE- meh
Gallows & Anderson framed AJ “almost losing” to Ricochet being just as shameful as them losing to the Viking Raiders in three minutes. Anderson has a bet going with Gallows that if AJ doesn’t win the title from Ricochet, Gallows gets to bone Mrs. Anderson. Really.

NO WAY JOSE vs. CESARO-
Truth tried to hide in NJW’s conga line. The gaggle chased him around ringside and to the back. Cesaro used this distraction to attack Jose, then laid him out with a neutralizer on the floor.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS THE STREET PROFITS- The Street Profits were entertaining (their parody of an overproduced wrestling promo was hilarious), but they didn’t say anything that was in any way relevant. I fear that to the uninitiated they came off like a New Day knock-off.

SARAH SCHREIBER INTERVIEWS THE MIZ- fine
Miz first wished Braun and Lashley a speedy recovery, then Sarah used that to segue to the injuries suffered by Miz at the hands of Shane McMahon and Elias. These injuries are not severe enough to prevent Miz from having yet another 2 out of 3 falls match against the f*cking Drifter. So it’s the same pointless match from Smackdown but without any sort of consequences for winning or losing this time. Oh goody. Miz did a fine job of building the match up, but there was pretty much no way he could have possibly made me care about his match.

SHANE MCMAHON & DREW MCINTYRE PROMO- decent
Shane said stuff. He was fine. Then Drew cut an AWESOME promo demanding that Taker show himself because he’s not afraid of The Undertaker. The lights went out and we got some lighting. They went back on, and just when the crowd began to think that Taker might not show up, the area was sent into ecstatic cheers by the unmistakable dong of The Undertaker. Then Taker’s music hit, and the headman made his way down the ramp... and Drew and Shane hopped out of the ring and over the barricade to put even more distance between themselves the Deadman. Taker cut a promo saying a lot of Undertaker stuff, some of which sounded cool.

BARON CORBIN & LACEY EVANS BACKSTAGE PROMO- Corbin was decent, Lacey’s delivery was good but her words felt way too “THIS IS WHAT THE ANGLE IS. GOT IT?” Corbin’s were that way, too, but they at least sounded natural.
Then we cut back to the ringside area and Taker was STILL making his way up the ramp. Also, apparently Nattie vs. Lacey has been booked for tonight.

NATALYA vs. LACEY EVANS (w/Baron Corbin)- 1.5/10
The match was short. The important thing to take away from this match was that Corbin grabbed Nattie’s leg on the outside to distract her, allowing Lacey to nail the Woman’s Right for the win. This got massive heat.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS RICOCHET- fine
She very politely tells Hawkins & Ryder to scram so she can interview the important person. She put over the fact that last week’s loss to AJ Styles was Ricochet’s first Raw main event. That was a good positive spin to put on things while still acknowledging the loss. Gallows & Anderson showed up to be dicks and told Ricochet that AJ beat him without even giving a 100% effort.

JOHN CENA TELLS US NOT BE BIGOTS- Thanks for the advice, John.

AJ STYLES, LUKE GALLOWS, & KARL ANDERSON BACKSTAGE- AWESOME!
Gallows & Anderson lied and told AJ that Ricochet was a dick. They accused AJ of losing his edge and told him that “the old AJ Styles” would have walked up to Ricochet and slapped him in the face. Then AJ went and found Ricochet and cut a promo on him. Ricochet was a total babyface here and tried to explain himself. AJ responded to Ricochet’s offer of a handshake with a slap in the face. And then Ricochet slapped AJ right back, to which AJ responded by laughing. They’re having a US Title match tonight, and I CANNOT WAIT!

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS MATCH: “The Drifter” Elias Sampson vs. The Miz- 2/10
Cole told us that the first commercial break would come after the second fall. The match started with Miz attacking The Drifter, hitting the Skull-Crushing Finale and pinning him quickly, so they’re going to do the same bad 2 out of 3 falls formula we saw last week. The Drifter won the second fall soon after, once again revealing that they are only doing these 2 out of 3 falls matches so they have an excuse to pause in the middle of the match to cut to a break. After the break Miz own by submission. This was very dull.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS SETH ROLLINS & BECKY LYNCH- bad
They, too, wish Lashley and Strowman a speedy recovery. Becky and Seth were extremely annoying. Then Maria Kanellis showed up (wildcard count is up to either 2, 3, or 4). Maria wants there to be a championship belt for giving birth. She specifically said that giving birth to an eight-pound baby is worthy of a championship. So how would this work? Does Maria lose the title if someone gives birth to a larger baby?
Promos were cut. Mike Kanellis showed up, too, and Maria cut a promo challenging them to a mixed tag, calling both her husband and Becky Lynch bitches.

WE HAVE A MEDICAL UPDATE ON BRAUN STROWMAN- Renee has a rumor that Braun “may have suffered a ruptured spleen.

MIXED TAG TEAM MATCH: Seth Rollins & Becky Lynch vs. Mike & Maria Kanellis- no rating, TERRIBLE segment
Seth beats Mike up, then tags Becky in to beat up Maria. Maria runs away, grabs a mic and yells at Mike for being unable to protect her. Becky bears down on her but Maria reveals that she’s pregnant. Mike is shocked, and Maria says she’s surprised, too, because she didn’t think Mike was man enough to knock her up. Um... Maria? You just bragged about pushing his baby out of your uterus ten minutes ago.
Becky then pulled Mike into the ring while he was distracted by Maria and locked in the Disarmer and Mike tapped... and the referee called for the bell even though the rules clearly state that a man and a woman cannot be legal at the same time.
The babyfaces left and Maria berated Mike some more, closing with the line “the only real man here tonight is Becky Lynch, so maybe next time I’ll ask Becky to impregnate me.” Whoever wrote this segment will now have to live with the fact that he/she/they are responsible for the slash-fics that this line will unleash upon the world. I wonder what did Michael Bennett do to piss Vince and/or Heyman off?

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS PAUL HEYMAN- meh
Heyman told us that Brock may or may not be here. The Street Profits showed up to bother Heyman.

A MOMENT OF BLISS! WITH SPECIAL GUEST NIKKI CROSS- no rating bad segment
Even Alexa is sending her thoughts and prayers to Braun and Lashley. You know. Because that makes it a shoot.
This time it’s Carmella’s turn to interrupt (wildcard #2,3,4,5, or 6, depending on if you think Truth should count or not, and I think he should) them to try to convince Nikki that Alexa is using her. I love how none of the babyfaces seem to realize that Nikki would never have fallen under Alexa’s influence if any of them had actually been friendly to her. Carmella asks Nikki “if you’re the one who pinned the champion then why is it Alexa’s title match?” While I think this is a perfectly fair question to ask, the person Carmella should be asking is not Nikki but rather one of the McMahons, who authorized that silly stipulation.
Carmella demands to know what Alexa has given Nikki, showing once again that these babyfaces still aren’t listening to Nikki! Alexa has given Nikki the one thing she wanted more than any other: a friend.
Barbs were exchanged, resulting in...

CARMELLA vs. ALEXA BLISS! (w/Nikki Cross)- DUD!
Carmella roled Alexa up and pinned her in mere seconds. While I understand the narrative reason for this kind of finish, I’m sick and tired of these short matches. When we came back from commercial, we started...

CARMELLA vs. NIKKI CROSS (w/Alexa Bliss!)- 0.75/10
This is the third time on three shows since the “no wrestling during commercials” rule was instituted that this same formula has been used with Alexa and Nikki. Nikki won a shot match here. The announcers got the point across well, but I would have liked this better if we weren’t getting short matches so constantly.

SARAH SCHREIBER INTERVIEWS ALEXA BLISS! & NIKKI CROSS- good
Sarah asks Nikki how she would respond to learning that the WWE Universe wants her to face Bayley for the title at Extreme Rules instead of Alexa because of her recent string of victories. Before Nikki could answer, Alexa angrily told Sarah “no comment!” and pulled Nikki away.

24/7 TITLE SILLINESS- Maverick’s wife went to go get her bag. The gaggle ran by. Truth thought he escaped. Drake said he didn’t care about the title anymore, then hit Truth in the back of the head with his suitcase and pinned him. His wife came back and they ran off with the title.

WWE UNITED STATES TITLE MATCH: AJ Styles(c) vs. Ricochet-
This week’s trick to avoid wrestling during a commercial was to do a fake win but then have a second referee come out with a big can of worms in his hand, which he then opened by telling the original referee that Ricochet’s foot was under the bottom rope, resulting in a restart after the commercial break. At least AJ’s unhappiness over this situation makes the overturned title win an important part of the story rather than something they did just to have an excuse to avoid wrestling during a commercial.
After the commercial Gallows & Anderson were on the outside, psyching AJ up. Ricochet won a match that was once again way too short. This “no wrestling during commercials” rule has to go.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- very good
Ricochet showed AJ respect after the match but AJ later decided to beat him up, and Gallows & Anderson joined in with a Magic Killer, and AJ put Ricochet down with off with an avalanche Styles Clash. Then AJ kept punching Ricochet. The heat here was great.

This was not a good episode of Raw by any stretch, but it was, at least easy to sit through. It’s one of those shows that feels lie it could easily be the first step in the right direction, but also feels like it could just be an outlier better than average but still bad show in a string of bad shows.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/1/2019 Raw

Post by Bob-O » Jul 2nd, '19, 08:34

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 1st, '19, 22:11 AJ STYLES, LUKE GALLOWS, & KARL ANDERSON BACKSTAGE- AWESOME!

...AJ responded to Ricochet’s offer of a handshake with a slap in the face. And then Ricochet slapped AJ right back, to which AJ responded by laughing. They’re having a US Title match tonight, and I CANNOT WAIT!
I loved this as well, except this is the exact thing they need to avoid doing with Ricochet. Outside the ring he never comes across as confident, or even as an underdog, he seems uncomfortable. AJ came across like a star.

Heyman's "influence" was said to be turned way up for this episode, and I think that's where we got Graves' "Holy Shit" line, Gallow's bet to bang Anderson's hot asian wife, the Mike/Maria thing (seemingly out of nowhere), and all the stuff with Drake's wife (that's been brewing for a while). If tonight is any indication on how it's going to be, it would appear that what Vince has in mind for Heyman is to "influence" the product to TV-14, but overall I think you hit the nail on the head - it was easy to sit through which is a HUGE step in the right direction for them. Dare say, I was entertained.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 2nd, '19, 10:29

Bob-O wrote: Jul 2nd, '19, 08:34
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 1st, '19, 22:11 AJ STYLES, LUKE GALLOWS, & KARL ANDERSON BACKSTAGE- AWESOME!

...AJ responded to Ricochet’s offer of a handshake with a slap in the face. And then Ricochet slapped AJ right back, to which AJ responded by laughing. They’re having a US Title match tonight, and I CANNOT WAIT!
I loved this as well, except this is the exact thing they need to avoid doing with Ricochet. Outside the ring he never comes across as confident, or even as an underdog, he seems uncomfortable. AJ came across like a star.

Heyman's "influence" was said to be turned way up for this episode, and I think that's where we got Graves' "Holy Shit" line, Gallow's bet to bang Anderson's hot asian wife, the Mike/Maria thing (seemingly out of nowhere), and all the stuff with Drake's wife (that's been brewing for a while). If tonight is any indication on how it's going to be, it would appear that what Vince has in mind for Heyman is to "influence" the product to TV-14, but overall I think you hit the nail on the head - it was easy to sit through which is a HUGE step in the right direction for them. Dare say, I was entertained.
I heard somewhere that Graves got fined for cursing. Is it part of the story though, I wonder?

I’m actually digging all this stuff with AJ and Ricochet, because I think there’s some potential here for him to develop some confidence. I saw a little glimmer of it last night, but they need to seize on his win last night to make it work. Plus, more AJ v Ricochet makes Seru a happy camper.

My complaint though is this- Ricochet was hanging out with Ryder and Hawkins backstage before, why didn’t they come running out to save him? Sure, they would have gotten killed, but if they were friends it’s what they would have done.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jul 2nd, '19, 10:37

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 2nd, '19, 10:29

My complaint though is this- Ricochet was hanging out with Ryder and Hawkins backstage before, why didn’t they come running out to save him? Sure, they would have gotten killed, but if they were friends it’s what they would have done.
They're doing that WWE thing where if you're in the shot in an angle one week, that sets up an off camera challenge for the next show. So I bet you we're getting Edgeheads vs Club next Monday.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 2nd, '19, 10:49

So evidently even though it appears Strowman did most of the slamming through the board...he's the one injured...ok lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 2nd, '19, 11:23

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 2nd, '19, 10:29
I heard somewhere that Graves got fined for cursing. Is it part of the story though, I wonder?
100% kayfabe, it sounded incredibly scripted, it didn't even sound like a real reaction, and in the first 'Heyman RAW' of all things.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 2nd, '19, 14:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 1st, '19, 22:11 POST-MATCH SEGMENT- very good
Ricochet showed AJ respect after the match but AJ later decided to beat him up, and Gallows & Anderson joined in with a Magic Killer, and AJ put Ricochet down with off with an avalanche Styles Clash. Then AJ kept punching Ricochet. The heat here was great.
I'll add to my previous comment, that THIS is the stuff Ricochet is really good at. That first punch man... Ric legit looked like he was out on his feet when he went down. He was a great choice to be the victim that saw The Club reunite. He sells like like Ziggler, but is so much more likable. This entire segment gave me goosebumps.

Just fantasy booking here, but if they Wildcard their way on to Smackdown to "talk" to Balor I'll lose my mind. If they do something with this, I would not at all be pissed to see them pluck Cole out of UE to help spread them out.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 2nd, '19, 17:00

Before I got it and it worked for the time being when she was still slightly a heel and Charlotte was the face...but this "man", "the man" shit is just really silly and overdone by now. She's not a man and it just doesn't work anymore. Plus I've definitely already seen more than enough of Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 2nd, '19, 19:27

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 2nd, '19, 17:00 Before I got it and it worked for the time being when she was still slightly a heel and Charlotte was the face...but this "man", "the man" shit is just really silly and overdone by now. She's not a man and it just doesn't work anymore. Plus I've definitely already seen more than enough of Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch.
This 1000%

I thought it was stupid when they started it, but I 'got it' and could tolerate it. While thinking it was stupid, it worked for the Women's Revolution era (?), but the revolution is over. Being female isn't everyone's secondary gimmick now, so it's not really ironic anymore, it's just awkward. Add to that, running angles along side her boyfriend who has a higher pitched voice than her to begin with, and now it's not only stupid but it's weird in a way they don't intend it to be.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 2nd, '19, 19:52

Bob-O wrote: Jul 2nd, '19, 19:27
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 2nd, '19, 17:00 Before I got it and it worked for the time being when she was still slightly a heel and Charlotte was the face...but this "man", "the man" shit is just really silly and overdone by now. She's not a man and it just doesn't work anymore. Plus I've definitely already seen more than enough of Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch.
This 1000%

I thought it was stupid when they started it, but I 'got it' and could tolerate it. While thinking it was stupid, it worked for the Women's Revolution era (?), but the revolution is over. Being female isn't everyone's secondary gimmick now, so it's not really ironic anymore, it's just awkward. Add to that, running angles along side her boyfriend who has a higher pitched voice than her to begin with, and now it's not only stupid but it's weird in a way they don't intend it to be.
And that is all being compounded by WWE"s inability to not try to turn an expression literal so they're having Lacey Evans frame her promos on Becky by talking about things that men do as opposed to "ladies" like her.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 2nd, '19, 19:55

for a legit couple, those two have terrible on-screen chemistry

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 2nd, '19, 20:23

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 2nd, '19, 19:52
Bob-O wrote: Jul 2nd, '19, 19:27
This 1000%

And that is all being compounded by WWE"s inability to not try to turn an expression literal so they're having Lacey Evans frame her promos on Becky by talking about things that men do as opposed to "ladies" like her.
To add to everything already stated, then take it one step further with the shit with Maria lol...they constantly just legitimately call her "the man", and above all else it's just gotten stale and really strange and doesn't fit within storyline context anymore.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 3rd, '19, 11:25

The more I see it play out weekly....this is the perfect introduction to really get the Nikki Cross character out there....She's GONNA snap on Bliss for being betrayed and used and etc etc...THAT'S when the crazy comes out fully and Bliss will have to escape from her...Bischoff already has her looking better to true character form and commentary helped that as well...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 3rd, '19, 12:28

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 3rd, '19, 11:25 The more I see it play out weekly....this is the perfect introduction to really get the Nikki Cross character out there....She's GONNA snap on Bliss for being betrayed and used and etc etc...THAT'S when the crazy comes out fully and Bliss will have to escape from her...Bischoff already has her looking better to true character form and commentary helped that as well...
I don't know if 'crazy' will be the way they go with her that much, at least not Sanity crazy. She seems to be getting the nxt bayley build

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 3rd, '19, 13:26

cero2k wrote: Jul 3rd, '19, 12:28
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 3rd, '19, 11:25 The more I see it play out weekly....this is the perfect introduction to really get the Nikki Cross character out there....She's GONNA snap on Bliss for being betrayed and used and etc etc...THAT'S when the crazy comes out fully and Bliss will have to escape from her...Bischoff already has her looking better to true character form and commentary helped that as well...
I don't know if 'crazy' will be the way they go with her that much, at least not Sanity crazy. She seems to be getting the nxt bayley build
From what I've seen on SD, they definitely went more the crazy route...amazing what one show can do lol.