BRM Reviews most of the Opening Segment of the 7/16/2019 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews most of the Opening Segment of the 7/16/2019 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 17th, '19, 18:35

KEVIN OWENS & SHANE MCMAHON HAVE AN ARGUMENT EARLIER TODAY- bad
We start off with Shane addressing a group of security guards, telling them that they “know what to do if things get out of hand” re: Kevin Owens.
Owens shows up and they start arguing because Shane accuses Owens of “insubordination” which he claims won’t be tolerated. Owens responds by saying “I don’t work for you” because “my contract says WWE on it.”
Lets ignore the fact that we’ve seen people during this brand split (Jack Swagger and Heath Slater in particular) have their “contract expire” with a certain brand or sign a contract with a specific brand, and all of the phony brand-nationalism that shows up every year when the build to Survivor Series begins before disappearing again afterwards. Let’s just look at the whole “working for the McMahons/WWE” thing.
Surely the other three McMahons heard what Owens said, right? So why haven’t they done anything about it. You’d think they’d have done their best to punish him if they were heels, and if they were babyfaces you’d think they’d get up off their butts and help the babyfaces do something about Shane. And yet they’re nowhere to be found.
Owens gets sent home, and appears to go peacefully… which means that either Owens is going to stay at home like a loser, or he’s going to come back, which would be them doing the same angle two weeks in a row.

SMACKDOWN “TOWN HALL”-
All of the wrestlers and referees are standing on the stage like a crowd of dorks. I believe this is the first on-camera appearances for Liv Morgan and Buddy Murphy (and possibly AoP as well) since being drafted to Smackdown THREE MONHTS AGO. It’s also the first TV appearance in quite a while for Matt Hardy and Charlotte Flair. Also, Samoa Joe, Dolph Ziggler, Tyler Breeze, and Drew McIntyre are here even though they’re not part of the SD roster.
Once all of the wrestlers are out on the stage, Tom Phillips pitches to a video package about the Shane & Drew vs. Roman & Undertaker match at Extreme Rules, because if we don’t show The Undertaker in this first segment, people might tune out.
Shane said he’d hear anything anyone had to say as long as they were “respectful.” Roman went first and insulted Shane. Then Charlotte played the suck-up heel, but she was interrupted by Liv Morgan, whose big line was “could you please, for one moment of your life, stop being a phony.” This was terrible. Even worse was that- while I can’t blame them for being good soldiers, Big E., Xavier, and Bayley all looked like complete and total dorks for reacting to his as if it was some sort of sick burn.
Liv then continued, asking “is there anything real about you.” I know this line is supposed to be a reference to Charlotte’s fake boobs, but all I could think when I heard Liv say this was “says the woman with the PINK HAIR.” Charlotte managed to one-up me, as after asking Liv “who are you? Do you even work here?” She said “you’re right. Because we’re all born with blue tongues. Liv responded to this by telling Charlotte “it’s because of people like you that people like me don’t get a fair opportunity. The problem with this statement is that- as I alluded to above- Charlotte hasn’t been on TV for about two months, so I don’t think she was the one taking Liv’s spot. Also… Charlotte has won many championships and had excellent showings even in defeat. What the f*ck has Liv Morgan ever done?
Shane then started calling out people that Owens had mentioned. Buddy Murphy was a heel, saying that Owens should “keep my name out of his mouth.” Apollo Crews was a babyface, reiterating Roman’s comments. Zelina Vega responded to Crews on behalf of Andrade.
Ad this point my TV started to have issues, so I went to check the results at F4WOnline and CageMatch.net. Looking at the match times and also that Buddy Murphy and AoP’s names were only listed as part of a gaggle of henchmen for Shane in the main event (and both Drew and Joe were also part of this group), I decided that my TV trouble was a sign from G-d to not watch this show and instead watch 205 Live and catch up on the G1. Here is a link to F4WOnline's results. BYE!

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-results/w ... ing-288011
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews most of the Opening Segment of the 7/16/2019 Smackdown

Post by Bob-O » Jul 17th, '19, 22:50

Worth noting here that Daniel Bryan was advertised to make his "big announcement". He came out, didn't say anything, and left... rinse and repeat two more times.

I thought it was brilliant when Ciampa did it after his heel turn, but for some reason this really pissed me off. Maybe because it was literally the only reason I wanted to see this episode... idk, but it gave me what they now call on the streets, "BRM Heat".

They could have closed that show with the Gable vs Gallagher match and I'd have found a reason to hate it at that point.

Fuck. This. Company.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 17th, '19, 23:24

Bob-O wrote: Jul 17th, '19, 22:50 Worth noting here that Daniel Bryan was advertised to make his "big announcement". He came out, didn't say anything, and left... rinse and repeat two more times.

I thought it was brilliant when Ciampa did it after his heel turn, but for some reason this really pissed me off. Maybe because it was literally the only reason I wanted to see this episode... idk, but it gave me what they now call on the streets, "BRM Heat".

They could have closed that show with the Gable vs Gallagher match and I'd have found a reason to hate it at that point.

Fuck. This. Company.
There was no real reason for Liv Morgan not to get a surprise upset out of nowhere. She had everything to gain and then lost just like that...the way it's going could work as well, but just nonsense...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 17th, '19, 23:57

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 17th, '19, 23:24 There was no real reason for Liv Morgan not to get a surprise upset out of nowhere. She had everything to gain and then lost just like that...the way it's going could work as well, but just nonsense...
I'm intrigued. This way, she "get's real" or whatever gimmick change this entails, and NEW Liv has a goal at beating Charlotte. I'll watch that. It's ~something~ we weren't doing before...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 18th, '19, 10:45

Bob-O wrote: Jul 17th, '19, 23:57
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 17th, '19, 23:24 There was no real reason for Liv Morgan not to get a surprise upset out of nowhere. She had everything to gain and then lost just like that...the way it's going could work as well, but just nonsense...
I'm intrigued. This way, she "get's real" or whatever gimmick change this entails, and NEW Liv has a goal at beating Charlotte. I'll watch that. It's ~something~ we weren't doing before...
Yeah I'm curious as well. Finally a change around here...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 18th, '19, 20:22

Bob-O wrote: Jul 17th, '19, 22:50

If you're looking for something about that match to dislike...

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=21920
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3