WWE replacing TakeOver with Worlds Collide during Rumble weekend

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

WWE replacing TakeOver with Worlds Collide during Rumble weekend

Post by cero2k » Sep 9th, '19, 18:53

Source: f4wonline.com

Instead of a NXT TakeOver event, WWE will instead run a Worlds Collide show prior to the 2020 Royal Rumble.

Travel package information for the 2020 Royal Rumble showed that a Worlds Collide event is scheduled to take place on Saturday, January 25. The show will be held at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas.

WWE has confirmed that the travel package listing was not an error, and that a Worlds Collide event is taking place on that day instead of TakeOver. In regards to the future of NXT TakeOver events, WWE said in a statement that “the schedule of the 2020 NXT TakeOver Events will be out in the near future.”

Worlds Collide shows first took place at this year’s Royal Rumble over a two-day period. It featured wrestlers from 205 Live, NXT and NXT UK. A tournament was held where the winner would get a title shot of their choosing within those brands. Velveteen Dream won the tournament, defeating Tyler Bate in the finals.

Another series of shows took place during WrestleMania weekend that also featured wrestlers from the main roster.

NWK2000

Re: WWE replacing TakeOver with Worlds Collide during Rumble weekend

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 9th, '19, 21:39

Smart. You don't want to overwork people who might debut/make appearances during a Rumble, and WWC serves as a platform to use seldom used guys, which I'm all about.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 9th, '19, 21:51

NWK2000 wrote: Sep 9th, '19, 21:39 Smart. You don't want to overwork people who might debut/make appearances during a Rumble, and WWC serves as a platform to use seldom used guys, which I'm all about.
doing two shows is not really overworking, especially a rumble that is 80% stalling in the corner. They could have just done all three shows.

XIV

Post by XIV » Sep 10th, '19, 09:43

cero2k wrote: Sep 9th, '19, 21:51
NWK2000 wrote: Sep 9th, '19, 21:39 Smart. You don't want to overwork people who might debut/make appearances during a Rumble, and WWC serves as a platform to use seldom used guys, which I'm all about.
doing two shows is not really overworking, especially a rumble that is 80% stalling in the corner. They could have just done all three shows.
It isn't really overworking anyone BUT it gives an excuse for all their talent to be in one city and therefore any call-ups "could" be considered more of a shock, but us fans will just learn to expect anyone from any of the rosters as we are already trained to expect 1 or 2 NXT names in the rumble now, but maybe to please the crowds they'll throw in a couple of 205 Live and NXT UK guys too.

On the subject of Worlds Collide. I'd like to see somebody actually take real advantage of it. For example I'd like to see someone from NXT UK win it (Say Joe Coffey, Pete Dunne or Tyler Bate) and challenge for the NXT Championship (and win it). It would add some prestige to the tournament and be used as a way to "step up" with the three brands.

Because why would you win a tournament like that and then not choose to take advantage of it by going for the title with the highest prestige and exposure?
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 10th, '19, 10:43

XIV wrote: Sep 10th, '19, 09:43
It isn't really overworking anyone BUT it gives an excuse for all their talent to be in one city and therefore any call-ups "could" be considered more of a shock, but us fans will just learn to expect anyone from any of the rosters as we are already trained to expect 1 or 2 NXT names in the rumble now, but maybe to please the crowds they'll throw in a couple of 205 Live and NXT UK guys too.

On the subject of Worlds Collide. I'd like to see somebody actually take real advantage of it. For example I'd like to see someone from NXT UK win it (Say Joe Coffey, Pete Dunne or Tyler Bate) and challenge for the NXT Championship (and win it). It would add some prestige to the tournament and be used as a way to "step up" with the three brands.

that's why i'm saying, do all three shows, no need to move takeover which is usually the best show of the weekend. I understand they killed the whole 'travel destination' thing next year with doing 4 shows in three different cities that are not exactly uber distance with each other, but I kinda feel you're killing a lot of people's plans

XIV wrote: Sep 10th, '19, 09:43 Because why would you win a tournament like that and then not choose to take advantage of it by going for the title with the highest prestige and exposure?
in their logic, all the titles are equally prestigious. I think they should straight up say IC/US title, Rumble entry, or Smackdown contract, something that we wouldn't get otherwise, because if a 205 guy wins, I think we've already seen all 205 guys get at least one shot already. it's nothing special.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 10th, '19, 10:47

My guess is that with NXT going live, they're going to be involved a lot more in the main card. Not just one or two surprise entrants, but five or six guys actually announced for The Rumble and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least the title match moved to the main card (sorry other champions :( ).

I mean, if NXT is essentially getting as much real estate as Smackdown (two hours/week), I could see Fox taking issue with WWE putting time, effort, and money into an NXT ppv while still grouping Raw and Smackdown into one... even if it is The Rumble.

TakeOver is kind of a silly concept now anyway (they made it to TV, they TOOK over). My guess is that Smackdown/205 start running branded ppvs again (Saturday show on big weekends) and NXT gets time on Raw ppvs. Just my prediction - based on nothing except a poor accuracy rate.
XIV wrote: Sep 10th, '19, 09:43 On the subject of Worlds Collide. I'd like to see somebody actually take real advantage of it.
This. It should surprise nobody that Vince doesn't see the potential or even understand how many dream matches he has on his payroll. But now that he's got more people in his ear, maybe we get to see some of that firepower!

It's a brilliant concept too. Imagine that... booking intriguing matches for no reason... expecting people to watch them JUST to see who wins? Maybe have these guys cut promos on one another and why they think they'll win the matches? It sounds crazy, but it just might work! /s

For real though... if NXT is graduating and they're looking for a way to squash the indy conga-line that follows them into town on their bigger weekends, WWC shows are the way to go. They could drum up some nuclear bomb equivalent cards for that audience.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 10th, '19, 12:35

When Worlds Collide is WWE's version of TNA's One Night Only. It's purpose is to be content and nothing more, which makes doing it a total waste of resources.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 10th, '19, 13:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 10th, '19, 12:35 When Worlds Collide is WWE's version of TNA's One Night Only. It's purpose is to be content and nothing more, which makes doing it a total waste of resources.
You're not wrong about it being "just content", but unlike TNA ONOs, which utilized the entire roster with some guests thrown in, WWC is platform to get less used main roster guys, and a smattering of NXT guys, but mostly lower-midcard performers, a chance to work, and if you have a roster that big, why shoudn't you give those guys some spotlight if there's no room on your main shows, especially NXT which only runs an hour?
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 10th, '19, 15:17

I’m supposed to be going to the Rumble. I don’t want Worlds Collide. I want TakeOver

/complaining

Isn’t that how Velveteen Dream got his NA Championship shot? I guess it would be neat to see what happens and who gets the rub.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 10th, '19, 20:47

Serujuunin wrote: Sep 10th, '19, 15:17 I’m supposed to be going to the Rumble. I don’t want Worlds Collide. I want TakeOver

/complaining

Isn’t that how Velveteen Dream got his NA Championship shot? I guess it would be neat to see what happens and who gets the rub.
That first one was done well. The ones taped Mania weekend were just a bunch of matches that we were supposed to care about because "HEY EVERYONE! WRESTLERS FROM DIFFERENT BRANDS ARE FIGHTING EACH OTHER!" which made it basically another Survivor Series that was somehow even less important and interesting than the real Survivor Series. It's amazing how easy it is to make people care about something if you just have them fight over something fans actually care about.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 11th, '19, 21:54

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 10th, '19, 20:47
Serujuunin wrote: Sep 10th, '19, 15:17 I’m supposed to be going to the Rumble. I don’t want Worlds Collide. I want TakeOver

/complaining

That first one was done well. The ones taped Mania weekend were just a bunch of matches that we were supposed to care about because "HEY EVERYONE! WRESTLERS FROM DIFFERENT BRANDS ARE FIGHTING EACH OTHER!" which made it basically another Survivor Series that was somehow even less important and interesting than the real Survivor Series. It's amazing how easy it is to make people care about something if you just have them fight over something fans actually care about.
Which is exactly why I stopped caring about Survivor Series tbh. My mom and I debated picking that one to go to but... it's Survivor Series...

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 11th, '19, 22:00

Serujuunin wrote: Sep 11th, '19, 21:54 Which is exactly why I stopped caring about Survivor Series tbh. My mom and I debated picking that one to go to but... it's Survivor Series...
Just out of curiosity...

If you're planning a big WWE trip, why not 'Mania? Surely it's been ruled out for a reason...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 11th, '19, 22:37

Serujuunin wrote: Sep 11th, '19, 21:54
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 10th, '19, 20:47

/complaining

Which is exactly why I stopped caring about Survivor Series tbh. My mom and I debated picking that one to go to but... it's Survivor Series...
You chose wisely.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 12th, '19, 08:21

Aaaah... there it is...

The tidbit about Worlds Collide is intriguing too. WWE isn't going to book a 20k seat arena to shoot filler matches... I'm such an abused spouse when it comes to this sort of thing, but they might ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING with this concept! I'm stoked!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 12th, '19, 12:40

Bob-O wrote: Sep 11th, '19, 22:00
Serujuunin wrote: Sep 11th, '19, 21:54 Which is exactly why I stopped caring about Survivor Series tbh. My mom and I debated picking that one to go to but... it's Survivor Series...
Just out of curiosity...

If you're planning a big WWE trip, why not 'Mania? Surely it's been ruled out for a reason...
Money lol. Though I'm considering bringing it up with her and trying to change her mind. Tampa can't be that expensive a flight from here... right?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 12th, '19, 13:31

Serujuunin wrote: Sep 12th, '19, 12:40 Money lol. Though I'm considering bringing it up with her and trying to change her mind. Tampa can't be that expensive a flight from here... right?
I'd think tickets to Florida would be cheeper...

I know I can usually get round trip no layovers to Orlando for around $200 without trying... can't see Tampa being much different.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 12th, '19, 14:56

Bob-O wrote: Sep 12th, '19, 13:31
Serujuunin wrote: Sep 12th, '19, 12:40 Money lol. Though I'm considering bringing it up with her and trying to change her mind. Tampa can't be that expensive a flight from here... right?
I'd think tickets to Florida would be cheeper...

I know I can usually get round trip no layovers to Orlando for around $200 without trying... can't see Tampa being much different.
Calgary and Houston are “sister cities” to most airlines because we do oil and gas work with each other, so flights are more frequent/more affordable than some other places you’d assume would be cheaper. It costs less to fly to Houston than it does to Vancouver or Toronto, I think.