BRM Reviews 9/18/2019 NXT: Part 1 (USA debut)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews 9/18/2019 NXT: Part 1 (USA debut)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 18th, '19, 20:04

OPENING VIDEO- yeah… HUNTER didn’t need to be the one giving the speech, nor did he need to waste our time by coming out for the beginning of the show. I understand the value of having a recognizable face endorse things, but I’d rather have him narrating something that puts the current stars over, rather than using the first-person plural.

Nigel made sure to immediately tell us that NXT was “the true alternative,” which manages to take a shot at both AEW and Vince at the same time.

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Io Shirai vs. Bianca Belair vs. Candice LeRae vs. Mia Yim- 7/10
This was your standard four-way with the story being people breaking up each other’s pins because it’s a four-way and you have to be prepared for that sort of thing. The Io vs. Candice issue was definitely tangible, but was purposely not overpowering. They did a very good job (although not a perfect one, for sure) of avoiding doing things that felt like pre-planned spots, even when there were more than two women involved.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Shayna Baszler and the Horsewomen came out and got in the winner’s face but the winner did not back down.

SHORT ADAM COLE INTRO VIDEO- this was one of those fifteen-second things they did way too much in the early days of NXT UK.

AEW COMMERCIAL- this wasn’t part of the scheduled program, but I felt it was notable. It was very good, although I, personally, was annoyed at the “they saw what wrestling was… and what it could be” line, just for straddling the line of breaking kayfabe (it doesn’t outright do so, but it also doesn’t have any logical kayfabe interpretation.

KEITH LEE VS. DONOVAN DIJAKOVIC VIDEO PACKAGE- good
They announced these two will face off again next week.

MATT RIDDLE VS. KILLIAN DANE VIDEO PACKAGE- good
That being said, I really don’t like the idea of doing a second hour on the Network this week. It makes this USA show feel like a pre-show rather than feeling the like the main show, which is what it needs to feel like if they want to convince people to tune in and watch it every week from now on.

CAMERON GRIMES vs. SEAN MALUTA- no rating, good squash
Maluta charged at Grimes, who immediately hit his finisher and won. They had no time to waste here, so they wasted no time it with, making it feel different from what pretty much everyone else does nowadays.

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH VIDEO PACKAGE- good

DAMIAN PRIEST VIDEO PACKAGE- same idea as the Adam Cole one. This was very good.

NXT NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH: The Velveteen Dream(c) vs. Roderick Strong- 7.5/10
These guys were given plenty of time (over twenty minutes) to build, but the match never quite felt like it really kicked into gear. Roddy won the title after interference from Undisputed Era (and Cole, in particular, so that feud is finally coming). The heels having all of the belts and screwed babyface is a fine hook for the second show.

I’ll be reviewing the WWE Network part of tonight’s show separately because I think that this is the truly important presentation. THIS is what has to convince people to tune in next week. And my guess would be that it at least did a good enough job to get people to give it another chance next week.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews 9/18/2019 NXT: Part 1 (USA debut)

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 20th, '19, 10:51

Wow...figured there'd be more discussion on this by now lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 20th, '19, 15:03

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 20th, '19, 10:51 Wow...figured there'd be more discussion on this by now lol.
i don't watch it, can't really comment. my impression from the reviews is that they catered completely to the old nxt crowd since they went straight to a title contention match without introducing anyone. No vignettes on anyone on the show or anything.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 20th, '19, 15:12

cero2k wrote: Sep 20th, '19, 15:03
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 20th, '19, 10:51 Wow...figured there'd be more discussion on this by now lol.
i don't watch it, can't really comment. my impression from the reviews is that they catered completely to the old nxt crowd since they went straight to a title contention match without introducing anyone. No vignettes on anyone on the show or anything.
Nothing wrong with that if the crowd is hot and the match is either action-packed or is something like extremely grapplef*ck in a grapplef*ck-heavy promotion that establishes this as something very different (this was obviously the former). It's no different than Liger/Pillman starting off Nitro. The announcers explained to us that Io and Candice hate each other beaucse Io turned on Candice, and that everyone involved were top stars in the division (or else why would they be in a title match).
Cole did get a small vignette, and they had good video packages to set up the main event.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 20th, '19, 18:52

I'm just glad Bellaire didn't win that one...I can't stand that smartass ghetto brat...

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 20th, '19, 20:20

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 20th, '19, 18:52 I'm just glad Bellaire didn't win that one...I can't stand that smartass ghetto brat...
She's there to kick eeeyasses.

I was alright with her until she lost clean to Shayna but still had some batshit logic about "un-de-feat-ted". Completely lost me after that. She's a broke-ass Naomi, and not even awesome Funkadactyl Naomi, the awful Ecstasy Eating one. She should give up and go to culinary school, her man needs to eat something.

(I'm sorry Montez! You're great, I still love you, but you look like a pimped out Cheeseburger. Please eat.)

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 20th, '19, 21:33

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '19, 15:12

Nothing wrong with that if the crowd is hot and the match is either action-packed or is something like extremely grapplef*ck in a grapplef*ck-heavy promotion that establishes this as something very different (this was obviously the former). It's no different than Liger/Pillman starting off Nitro. The announcers explained to us that Io and Candice hate each other beaucse Io turned on Candice, and that everyone involved were top stars in the division (or else why would they be in a title match).
Cole did get a small vignette, and they had good video packages to set up the main event.
nah, not saying it's bad, realistically, fans were the only ones tuning in that night. They probably should going forward, even if it's for the people that have been there forever already.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 20th, '19, 22:16

Bob-O wrote: Sep 20th, '19, 20:20
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 20th, '19, 18:52 I'm just glad Bellaire didn't win that one...I can't stand that smartass ghetto brat...
She's there to kick eeeyasses.

I was alright with her until she lost clean to Shayna but still had some batshit logic about "un-de-feat-ted". Completely lost me after that. She's a broke-ass Naomi, and not even awesome Funkadactyl Naomi, the awful Ecstasy Eating one. She should give up and go to culinary school, her man needs to eat something.

(I'm sorry Montez! You're great, I still love you, but you look like a pimped out Cheeseburger. Please eat.)
Pretty much. It wasn't like when Ryback was protected because he never actually completely lost.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 22nd, '19, 18:08

Bob-O wrote: Sep 20th, '19, 20:20

LOL

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 25th, '19, 19:30

I might be showing my basic-b*tch whiteness here, but I am absolutely loving the Slipknot theme song for NXT and how Hunter referenced it in the opening promo. I'm also super emotional, so it totally got me hook, line and sinker lol.

I loved the women here. I've realized that I might be a little sexist because I just generally feel like the women aren't as clean or fluid as the men a lot of the time? That's a terrible thing to say... But I never had that feeling in this match.