John Hennigan Contract Signing Confirmed

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

John Hennigan Contract Signing Confirmed

Post by Bob-O » Sep 26th, '19, 14:09

Source: pwinsider

Former Impact Wrestling Champion John Hennigan has signed a deal to return to World Wrestling Entertainment, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

Hennigan, 39 years old, had a long run with WWE after winning the third season of their Tough Enough reality series, performing for the promotion through 2011 as John Morrison. During his first run with the company, he held the WWE Intercontinental Championship, the WWE version of the ECW title and had several WWE Tag Team title reigns with Joey Mercury.

Hennigan was also one of the top stars in the El Rey Network's Lucha Underground promotion, performing as Johnny Mundo and holding the Lucha Underground Championship. In Mexico, Hennigan held the AAA Mega Championship as well as their Cruiserweight title. Hennigan's most recent national run had been with Impact Wrestling, where he debuted in 2017.

Over the course of his Impact run, Hennigan (as Johnny Impact) held the promotion's top title and had been one of the cornerstones of the company. He departed this past July after the Slammiversary PPV. He had really found himself there with his "Mayor of Slamtown" persona.

Outside of professional wrestling in recent years, Hennigan has also cultivated quite an acting resume in both independent films and TV series over the last several years. Hennigan has a new short horror film The Iron Sheik Massacre set for release this Fall. He co-wrote, executive produced and starred in the independent film Boone the Bounty Hunter, which was released in 2017. Hennigan appeared in the first season of Netflix's GLOW and appeared in Russell Madness, Sharknado 5 and Hercules Reborn, among other films.

One would assume that Hennigan, who has slipped in and out of a number of in-ring names over the years, will revert back to his old John Morrison WWE ring name upon his return.

Serujuunin

Re: John Hennigan Contract Signing Confirmed

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 26th, '19, 14:10

Oh my goodness I just about shouted out loud.

I’m excited!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 26th, '19, 14:31

Serujuunin wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 14:10 Oh my goodness I just about shouted out loud.

I’m excited!
Me too! His entrance always gave me goosebumps... the music, the pyro, even the cheesy slow motion... one of, if not, my all time favorite!

While I'm torn because I know he'll be taking a "spot" that should be going to 3/4's of the roster, I always felt like he had a higher ceiling than Kofi and I'm really interested to see what they do with him.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 26th, '19, 14:38

Bob-O wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 14:31
Serujuunin wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 14:10 Oh my goodness I just about shouted out loud.

I’m excited!
Me too! His entrance always gave me goosebumps... the music, the pyro, even the cheesy slow motion... one of, if not, my all time favorite!

While I'm torn because I know he'll be taking a "spot" that should be going to 3/4's of the roster, I always felt like he had a higher ceiling than Kofi and I'm really interested to see what they do with him.
I’m just imagining the pure feats of athleticism that would be Morrison v Ricochet or Balor or Ali, or Morrison v Owens... all those potential matches give me goosebumps!

And his music is awesome.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 26th, '19, 14:40

He'll make a run-in at NXT most likely soon.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 26th, '19, 15:07

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 14:40 He'll make a run-in at NXT most likely soon.
He’ll probably outgrow NXT really quick. But I would like to see him and Cole, Dream and Gargano first!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '19, 17:55

Serujuunin wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 15:07
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 14:40 He'll make a run-in at NXT most likely soon.
He’ll probably outgrow NXT really quick. But I would like to see him and Cole, Dream and Gargano first!
This right here. Especially the first two.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Sep 27th, '19, 00:54

He's 39, I wouldn't bother with a main roster spot for him now that NXT is on prime time. Bring him into NXT and use him for great matches, angles and put guys over. Sure he'll probably want a title or two, but that's very possible.

I'd like to see Velveteen Dream vs John Whatevertheycallhimthistime
I'd LOVE to see Adam Cole vs John Whatevertheycallhimthistime

I wouldn't care for a Gargano match. Controversial thought. I don't like Gargano. He ruins every match because he just has terrible facial selling. He either looks confused or looks in pain. That's his two emotions. Someone pointed this out to me and I now don't enjoy Gargano matches as much.
Have A Nice Day!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 27th, '19, 11:14

XIV wrote: Sep 27th, '19, 00:54 He's 39, I wouldn't bother with a main roster spot for him now that NXT is on prime time. Bring him into NXT and use him for great matches, angles and put guys over. Sure he'll probably want a title or two, but that's very possible.

I'd like to see Velveteen Dream vs John Whatevertheycallhimthistime
I'd LOVE to see Adam Cole vs John Whatevertheycallhimthistime

I wouldn't care for a Gargano match. Controversial thought. I don't like Gargano. He ruins every match because he just has terrible facial selling. He either looks confused or looks in pain. That's his two emotions. Someone pointed this out to me and I now don't enjoy Gargano matches as much.
I can see why people would feel that way. Not me personally, but I can see it. It doesn’t take enough away for me that I can’t enjoy him.

Plus, when I was feeling disheartened with wrestling, it was Gargano v Ricochet that reminded me why I love it, so I will probably have a soft spot for him forever lol.

Morrison v Cole is probably one of the matches I would want to see the most. But I’m also of the conviction that Cole can have a good match with anyone.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 27th, '19, 11:58

Bob-O wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 14:31

I’m excited!

I really want him as a heel so that he can feud with Kofi and Miz. Just say screw it and turn the clock back a decade
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 27th, '19, 22:33

XIV wrote: Sep 27th, '19, 00:54 He's 39, I wouldn't bother with a main roster spot for him now that NXT is on prime time. Bring him into NXT and use him for great matches, angles and put guys over. Sure he'll probably want a title or two, but that's very possible.
I mean, it'd be cool, but I don't think it's realistic. Not WWE. He hasn't ~changed~ at all since he left. Those are the guys that get tested out at NXT. McIntyre and EC3 got brought back with complete makeovers, but guys like Lashley and Shelton seem to get a pass as there's nothing to really evaluate since they left.

Former IC Champ, former tag champ, former upper midcard/heavyweight title contender... JoMo's not gonna see NXT. They're going to completely ignore everything he's done since he left and plop him right back where he left off. Most likely paired with or against The Miz. He still can't convey being physically threatening, so Vince still isn't going to pull the trigger on him despite being insanely over, but he'll bounce around the midcard title scene and #1 Contender matches, he'll steal the show at MITB but not get the briefcase, he'll figure out new ways to not be eliminated from the Royal Rumble...

It's gonna be fun, I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.

XIV

Post by XIV » Sep 28th, '19, 01:39

Bob-O wrote: Sep 27th, '19, 22:33
I mean, it'd be cool, but I don't think it's realistic. Not WWE. He hasn't ~changed~ at all since he left. Those are the guys that get tested out at NXT. McIntyre and EC3 got brought back with complete makeovers, but guys like Lashley and Shelton seem to get a pass as there's nothing to really evaluate since they left.

Former IC Champ, former tag champ, former upper midcard/heavyweight title contender... JoMo's not gonna see NXT. They're going to completely ignore everything he's done since he left and plop him right back where he left off. Most likely paired with or against The Miz. He still can't convey being physically threatening, so Vince still isn't going to pull the trigger on him despite being insanely over, but he'll bounce around the midcard title scene and #1 Contender matches, he'll steal the show at MITB but not get the briefcase, he'll figure out new ways to not be eliminated from the Royal Rumble...

It's gonna be fun, I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.
My hopes aren't up. He's just a trick pony. Not someone I ever get amazed about watching in the ring.
Have A Nice Day!

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 29th, '19, 11:10

XIV wrote: Sep 28th, '19, 01:39 My hopes aren't up. He's just a trick pony. Not someone I ever get amazed about watching in the ring.
He's fun, but you're right, he's a stunt man. I enjoy him, but I'll admit most of his stuff is overly choreographed.

I haven't watched enough to know, did Morrison and Ricochet cross pass in LU? I can see where WWE would want to put these two together, and I have a gut feeling it would suck.

XIV

Post by XIV » Sep 29th, '19, 12:37

Bob-O wrote: Sep 29th, '19, 11:10
XIV wrote: Sep 28th, '19, 01:39 My hopes aren't up. He's just a trick pony. Not someone I ever get amazed about watching in the ring.
He's fun, but you're right, he's a stunt man. I enjoy him, but I'll admit most of his stuff is overly choreographed.

I haven't watched enough to know, did Morrison and Ricochet cross pass in LU? I can see where WWE would want to put these two together, and I have a gut feeling it would suck.
It would be too meticulously choreographed I feel.
Have A Nice Day!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 29th, '19, 20:15

Bob-O wrote: Sep 29th, '19, 11:10

THEY DID.

It was Mundo v Prince Puma in some crazy gimmick no disqualification match, and someone got thrown off the top of the office, and I think there was a glass pane and stuff. It was stupid ridiculous dumb fun.