More gushing about The Fiend

Big Red Machine

Re: More gushing about The Fiend

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 2nd, '19, 17:26

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 08:09
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 20:22

This IS how I look at it. It wouldn't occur to me to look at it any other way. Which is why I have come to the conclusion that this is the same old Bray Wyatt except with the cryptic nonsense promos replaced with kitsch and the occasional insider comment. None of it means anything and none of it ever did. They've just changed it from nonsense to something smarks can smirk at and suddenly the smarks all like it now.
It might be the same Bray Wyatt, but the gimmick has been retooled to incorporate more universally understood elements of horror. Ghouls, mental illness, the unsettling sunny nature of child-oriented iconography (how many times have dolls/nursery rhymes/puppets/children's toys been used as the central theme of a horror movie?) and etc.

To have found the hillbilly cultist creepy, that's a very specific subset of horror that doesn't really click unless you're a fan of Cape Fear or you grew up in a rural area so the iconography of the early Wyatt vignettes hits home.

So have your more universally encompassing horror character do sh*t that makes sense and ties in together, then. My issues is not with the iconography, but rather with the incompetent implementation of it. This Bray Wyatt is to Victorian horror as the old Bray Wyatt was to creepy cultist hillbillies. He had the physical trappings of one, but once you looked below the surface he was exposed as just a dude saying random cryptic sh*t and then magically teleporting to attack people and take over the TitanTron.

Bray Wyatt was supposed to be a creepy hillbilly cult leader, but he never acted like one, did he? The extent of his character was that he did magic. He had large minions, but nothing made Harper and Rowan different from any other set of big bruiser minions. Not to toot my own horn, but I think my Bray Wyatt in my ongoing fantasy booking is MUCH more of a cult leader than the actual Bray Wyatt we saw for six years. My Bray Wyatt had a message and actually convinced people to join him. The real Bray Wyatt never did that.

The mistake you are making is giving them credit for what you know that they are trying to do, regardless of how competent their execution is. They have given us a start point and an end point, but haven't actually given us a middle that connects them in any way.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 2nd, '19, 21:17

Now that we're talking about it, I think history is repeating itself...

These Guys...

ImageImage

...were supposed to be the soul of the character, the intrigue, and what I think Bray had in mind for 75% of the characters - with THESE guys...

ImageImage

...being clearly defined, but only showing up the other 25% of the time when things need to get done. We know they're there, and it's why we can't trust that first guy no matter how much we agree with him. This was Bray's idea.

WWE/The Writers/Vince/Dunn/whoever can't keep their peckers in their pants and say "JUST GET TO THE GOOD SHIT!" and the balance of focus goes to 25/75 immediately, and we eventually just go to 100% "the good shit" - when they blew their load a while ago and it just hurts now. We're still at 25% Fun House, and I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 3rd, '19, 14:33

I know we're supposed to be gushing about The Fiend, but Bray Wyatt showed up on a talk show this morning in character and it was phenomenal. I almost posted it in the Funny Wrestling Topic...

After this though, and while obviously a generic interview, he's asked point blank why The Fiend keeps attacking our favorite stars, and he get's into the "imagine you could get back at anyone that's ever wronged you..." bit, but couldn't come up with actual reasons... not even for Rollins whom he was also asked about... it's pretty clear that the writers have no intentions of expanding this gimmick beyond what we've got. The character we got introduced to and the concept in those first vignettes isn't what they moved ahead with, but FFFH Bray is still in that character with nowhere to go.

Lol I just want to know what Jerry Lawler ever did to him...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 3rd, '19, 17:05

Bob-O wrote: Oct 3rd, '19, 14:33 I know we're supposed to be gushing about The Fiend, but Bray Wyatt showed up on a talk show this morning in character and it was phenomenal. I almost posted it in the Funny Wrestling Topic...

After this though, and while obviously a generic interview, he's asked point blank why The Fiend keeps attacking our favorite stars, and he get's into the "imagine you could get back at anyone that's ever wronged you..." bit, but couldn't come up with actual reasons... not even for Rollins whom he was also asked about... it's pretty clear that the writers have no intentions of expanding this gimmick beyond what we've got. The character we got introduced to and the concept in those first vignettes isn't what they moved ahead with, but FFFH Bray is still in that character with nowhere to go.

Lol I just want to know what Jerry Lawler ever did to him...
Seth Rollins he had problems with against The Shield during the very beginning years ago...Strowman was in The Family obviously, Balor had the match last year...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.