Cero Reviews AEW Dark 10.8 (10.2.2019)

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews AEW Dark 10.8 (10.2.2019)

Post by cero2k » Oct 8th, '19, 22:08

AEW Dark
October 8th, 2019. Taped October 2nd, 2019.
Washington, DC

Schiavone is doing the match presentations from the AEW control center.

Darby Allin vs CIMA - 6.5/10
Darby is an idiot and is not even paying attention after the bell rang and thus took two knees to the face. Darby recovered and went all Spider Monkey on CIMA, doing a lot of jumping. Back in the ring, CIMA just schooled Allin, but the kid wouldn't submit, and that's how most of the match went, with CIMA doing awesome stuff, Darby taking it, and then Darby doing stupid looking stuff, and CIMA selling it. Allin won with a Yoshitonic and the Coffin Drop. Ok match, CIMA looked awesome. This win gives Allin a better argument for the upcoming No. 1 Contendership Match vs Havoc.

Lucha Brothers & TheHybrid2 vs Private Party & Best Friends w/Orange Cassidy - 7.5/10
HUGE pop for Orange Cassidy when he came out. He just sat in the corner to watch the match.

This match was chaos, it's 8 men, 5 of them are high flyers, the other 3 are not afraid to do so, it was a tornado of spots, quick pins, double team moves, and dives. Every team got their chance to do their thing. Finish saw Lucha Bros hit the Spike Fear Factor on Chuck Taylor for the win. Lucha Bros and Best Friends just looked at another level tonight.

At one point, Orange Cassidy tried to protect Taylor and Trent from Angelico and Evans, but ended up taking a right pinch by Angelico. Later on, he would get his revenge on, well, everyone with a big top rope dive over the pack.

Jack Evans not shutting up is a highlight of this match.

Bea Priestley & Penelope Ford vs Allie & Dr. Britt Baker, DMD - 6.5/10
There was an attempt at doing matching attires and I really appreciate it, not that it matters because they're not actual tag teams, but it makes the pair ups look cool.

The main thing here was the feud between Baker and Priestley, so it eventually all came down to the heels working over Allie until Baker got the hot tag. Ford and Bea worked over Allie's arm during that babyface in peril run, which my only complain was that Allie got a lot of offense on Ford during the run, which was short to begin with. Baker won the match submitting Ford with a cool looking floored Abdominal Stretch while doing a Mandible Claw. These four would really benefit from doing house shows together.

Bea was easily the MVP of the match, but Ford had a good showing for her first proper match, EXCEPT, when it was about Ford taking moves, kinda like she doesn't throw herself into the move.

Schiavone ran down the Cody/Jericho events from last week, as well as the PAC vs Page match. Schiavone also hyped the matches for tomorrow's card.

The Jurassic Express vs S.C.U - 7/10
This is a rematch from ALL OUT, so it was a continuation and play of some of the spots and comedy from that match. There wasn't a lot of new stuff, both teams had their time to shine. Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus, and Sky were awesome. The only thing that I kinda noticed as they build towards the tag tournament was that the team of Kaz/Sky was far more effective than the old Bad Influence, so I can totally see them losing early on and building a story out of that. Likewise, on the other side, it was Marko that took most of the offense and took the pin. JE has a record of 0 against SCU, they're lucky they got chosen for the tournament before those matches.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
This show is great to build up for Wednesday's show and to recap storylines, but it's long enough that it just feels like a whole extra show from AEW, and I don't know how much i'll be able to keep up with it since NWA and Impact are also running Tuesdays now. The matches have win/loss relevance, but I can't exactly say any of this was must see.

NWK2000

Re: Cero Reviews AEW Dark 10.8 (10.2.2019)

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 9th, '19, 12:14

cero2k wrote: Oct 8th, '19, 22:08 Schiavone is doing the match presentations from the AEW control center.

Unf. I am erect. Wrestling has been in dire need of main streaming event centers.

Lucha Brothers & TheHybrid2 vs Private Party & Best Friends w/Orange Cassidy - 7.5/10

Screwing with the face/heel alignment. Yes please! Having guys in different places on the alignment chart on both sides of the ring is sorely needed in wrestling, even if it's just B-show matches or tournaments. Opens up the stories you can tell in both the long and short term

I love that this is an honest to God B-show. Something like a Sunday Night Heat, where they can run down current storylines and spotlight some guys that aren't on the main show, creating storylines of their own. Wrestling has been in dire need of this too, so I'm glad AEW is hitting a lot of presentation beats like B-Shows and event centers, things that other promotions can't do or have deemed passe.

I'll take over the AEW Dark coverage if you don't mind. It's basically my only window into AEW outside of reading reviews.

B
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 9th, '19, 14:05

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 9th, '19, 12:14
I'll take over the AEW Dark coverage if you don't mind. It's basically my only window into AEW outside of reading reviews.
all yours dude, I won't be able to keep up with it live once Impact moves to Tuesday anyway.

I do like that this is just a straight one hour or basic wrestling you can play in the background of your day

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 9th, '19, 18:07

Oh come on, AEW! I signed up for ONE, TWO-HOUR SHOW in order to keep up with the storylines! This isn't fair!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 9th, '19, 20:16

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 9th, '19, 18:07 Oh come on, AEW! I signed up for ONE, TWO-HOUR SHOW in order to keep up with the storylines! This isn't fair!
that was my feeling yesterday too. Like I love it right now, but deep inside I know it's gonna be too much. I don't think i'll be able to follow any of the Tag Leagues coming up for New Japan or All Japan. If NWK takes over, like I said, this is a good thing to have in the back playing while you work on something else. I'm so thankful that @Thelone took over MLW

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 9th, '19, 21:50

cero2k wrote: Oct 9th, '19, 20:16
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 9th, '19, 18:07 Oh come on, AEW! I signed up for ONE, TWO-HOUR SHOW in order to keep up with the storylines! This isn't fair!
that was my feeling yesterday too. Like I love it right now, but deep inside I know it's gonna be too much. I don't think i'll be able to follow any of the Tag Leagues coming up for New Japan or All Japan. If NWK takes over, like I said, this is a good thing to have in the back playing while you work on something else. I'm so thankful that @Thelone took over MLW
I do blame NJPW for some of that. There was no reason to turn the junior tag tournament into a round-robin. I liked having a tag team tournament that was single-elimination, and putting it the month before the heavyweight version just makes it worse.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 10th, '19, 08:35

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 9th, '19, 21:50
I do blame NJPW for some of that. There was no reason to turn the junior tag tournament into a round-robin. I liked having a tag team tournament that was single-elimination, and putting it the month before the heavyweight version just makes it worse.
every company does their own thing, no one is really to blame for anything. AEW didn't have to show Dark, WWE didn't need to expand NXT, NJPW didn't need to expand their tournaments, but i'm sure fans of each group will be happy about them

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '19, 16:28

cero2k wrote: Oct 10th, '19, 08:35
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 9th, '19, 21:50
every company does their own thing, no one is really to blame for anything. AEW didn't have to show Dark, WWE didn't need to expand NXT, NJPW didn't need to expand their tournaments, but i'm sure fans of each group will be happy about them
I mean I think people would be more open to watching both tag tournaments if they weren't both leagues in back to back months.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation