BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 NXT (AWESOME!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/9/2019 NXT (AWESOME!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 11th, '19, 15:56

NXT CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Drew Gulak(c) vs. Lio Rush- 8/10
An awesome opener and definitely a moment meant to show a new beginning, but I was loving Gulak’s title reign so much and so many matches they were building to seem to have suddenly evaporated due to this title switch.

FINN BALOR VIDEO PACKAGE- this was… I can’t call it bad, but for me (and, I suspect, most people watching this show) it was so unnecessary as to be boring.

TEGAN NOX VIDEO PACKAGE- didn’t like it.
She comes across as way too happy and smiley when there should be more of a feeling of determination about her. She returns next week.

RHEA RIPLEY vs. ALIYAH (w/Vanessa Bourne)- no rating, great squash

RHEA RIPLEY PROMO- great!
She’s coming for Shayna Baszler’s title!

They plugged a press conference on the WWE Network and social media that will include Tyson Fury, Braun Strowman, Cain Velazquez, and Brock Lesnar. Hmmm… I wonder what those big announcements could be…

TYLER BREEZE & FANDANGO vs. FORGOTTEN SONS (w/Jaxson Ryker)- 6.75/10
Fandango has gone to full-on stripper-gyrating. It’s fantastic. Meanwhile, on commentary, Beth Phoenix had the worst delivery on a pun I have ever heard in my life, and I’ve heard A LOT of puns.
This was supposed to be Breezango vs. Ever-Rise (whoever they are) but the Forgotten Sons jumped the backstage and I guess everyone was cool with them taking Ever-Rise’s spot in this match. The Forgotten Sons won a match that was very good for the time it got after interference by Ryker.

KEITH LEE VIDEO PACKAGE AND PROMO- very good
He and Dijakovic are having a rematch next week.

BOA vs. CAMERON GRIMES- no rating, odd segment
Grimes used Killian Dain wandering out to ringside as a distraction to hit his finisher and get the win. Grimes then left and Dain beat up Boa, dumped him on the commentary table, and declared that “this is just the beginning.”

DAMIAN PRIEST VIDEO PACKAGE AND PROMO- AWESOME!
He explains to us why he attacked Pete Dunne and gets his character over.

ISAIAH “SWERVE” SCOTT vs. RODERICK STRONG- 7.75/10
This was your typical Roddy vs. babyface story with Roddy working the back. Scott lost after a distraction but Undisputed Era, but did well enough to feel elevated by the loss.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- AWESOME!
Cole cut a promo that was interrupted by The Velveteen Dream announcing that he has a rematch against Roddy in two weeks. Then showed a picture of Roderick Strong that… well… I’m not going to spoil where the promo goes, but it was fantastic.
Also, Tommaso Ciampa came out and chased Undisputed Era out of the ring with a crutch. He then picked up the mic and said “Goldie… daddy’s home.” The crowd went nuts.

FOOTAGE FROM DURING THE COMMERCIAL BREAK- great!
Angel Garza tried to hit on the interviewer. Then, when she excused herself to go do her job and interview Ciampa, he followed her over and said “you’re waiting for this guy?. Then he said something to Ciampa in Spanish so Ciampa floored him with a punch. Ciampa then admitted that he didn’t actually know what Garza had said, but I’ll excuse it because Garza was clearly being a dick.

DAKOTA KAI vs. BIANCA BELAIR- 6.75/10
Dakota Kai lost. Hooray! Bianca cut a great promo after the match saying that she should be the #1 contender and not Rhea Ripley.

DOMINICK DIJAKOIC VIDEO PACKAGE AND PROMO- fine
I am very excited for next week’s match… and it’s going to be the main event, too!

FINN BALOR VIDEO PACKAGE- again… totally unnecessary

PETE DUNNE PROMO AND VIDEO PACKAGE- AWESOME!

We got some footage of other wrestlers congratulating Lio Rush on his win.

KUSHIDA vs. WALTER- 8.5/10
AWESOME! And WALTER won clean.

BREAKING NEWS FROM CATHY KELLEY- Ciampa will face Angel Garza next week. This will be Ciampa’s first match back.

An awesome episode of NXT, both in terms of its own in-ring action and in terms of getting me hyped for next week.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3