NWK Reviews AEW Dark 10/13/19 ( OMG THAT MAIN EVENT)

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK2000

NWK Reviews AEW Dark 10/13/19 ( OMG THAT MAIN EVENT)

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 15th, '19, 23:18

Boston MA, 10/13/19

Tony Schiavone interviews The Young Bucks, but Kenny Omega interrupts

Kenny basically shows up and says he's requested a match tonight as he's winless in AEW thusfar. Props to the Bucks for voicing annoyance at Kenny interrupting their interview. They're fine with this...until they find out it's Lights Out against Joey Janella, at which point they're pissed at him and they leave. This was fine for what it was. Say what you will about giving away a match like that on TV, but I think not having main event tier matches on your 'B' shows kills the marketability of the B-show over time.

Triple Threat Match
Kip Sabian vs Peter Avalon (w/ Leva Bates) vs Sonny Kiss

Peter Avalon comes out to no music, and is shushing the crowd. The crowd hates this. Bates and Avalon have a Robert Roode/Traci Brookes, energy, down to Avalon having a Roode-esque robe. and I like it. Peter basically cuts a Damien Sandow "I'm smarter than you promo. Peter rips on Boston for having the inferior hockey team, which popped me (GLORIA). Bates takes the mic, apologizes to the crowd and gets to her corner. They have a very unique energy that I'm intrigued by.

Kip and Sonny do cool Lucha depositing of Avalon, eventually Kip gets deposited and Sonny (who, within three minutes of seeing him wrestle, I'm convinced is money) gets worked over by Avalon. Kip does moves, and has to get checked out by the ringside doc after disloctaing his finger on a dive, leading to more working over of Mr.Kiss. Leva hits Sonny with a book during an O'Connor roll but because she's a pencil neck geek, this isn't a finish. Kip hits Deathly Hallows on Peter to win.

This was a fun opener, and Sonny Kiss is definitely money

7.5/10

The Dark Order and Hybrid 2 (w/ Dark Order Henchmen) vs CIMA and SCU

CIMA comes out fucking jamming to the SCU theme, which was awesome.

This starts out as every by the numbers Lucha 8 man tag you've ever seen. The faces get their fun moves in and the heels work over Daniels, which included a handspring eye rake by Jack Evans. Kazarian makes a dope comeback after being tagged in and this devolves into moves. Arm-in srm low blow, by The Hybrid and a backslide nets the win for the heels.

This match was predicated on the heels being good heels and Kazarian's nutty comeback. That said, The Hybrid are a money team.

6.75/10

From Undesirable to Undeniable with Cody Rhodes and Aubrey : Interesting. Aubery shoots about her journey thusfar and puts over how big it was to ref Page vs Jericho at All Out.
They plug all the dates of the tag tournament stages. I like this, now I have three weeks of wrestling TV to work with, thank God for Tony and the Event Center
Lights Out Match
Kenny Omega vs Joey Janella

Joey goes for a chair but Kenny cuts him off with stomps and chops. Jim Ross turns Kenny having to pump up the crowd into telling us how Kenny has fallen short of people's expectations considering the year he had last year, and how Kenny wants to get back into it, and I refuse to hear anyone disparage JR on commentary ever again. Jim also says that referees have to use their brain and stop the match if a competitor is hurt, no matter the stipulation. Hmmm....

Anyway, Joey gets out some plunder, which results in Kenny taking a thrown chair to the head, which looked gnarly as hell. Kenny fights back and face crushes Joey into some chairs and now it's all Kenny, Joey fights back, and Kenny hits more of his signature moves, which leads to a SNAP DRAGON ON THE APRON. ON THE B-SHOW, WTF? Joey counters an OWA off the stairs into a botched German Suplex. FUCKING GERMAN SUPLEX ON THE LADDER IN THE TURNBUCKLE TO KENNY! FUCKING OW! Kenny blocks a Russian Leg Sweep off the apron which sends Joey head first to the floor which sounded fucking disgusting. Kenny gets back body dropped onto the legs of a folded table, which can't feel good, Kenny dodges a frog splash off a ladder through a table. Big strong style exchange, and now Kenny goes through a table propped up on the apron upside down, which again means folded up legs first, which again, ow. Joey tries more shit, but Kenny kicks out of it. Kenny throws Joey off the top turnbuckle and into some unfolded chairs, which, for the fourth time this review, OW! Kenny knees Joey's face into a chair wedged in the turnbuckle and hits the OWA on some chairs for the three. Kenny is back lads.

All they needed to do was book a match in which Kenny won and show us he can be competent in a deathmatch environment against Moxley. But, because Kenny's a fucking madlad, we of course get a CRAZY good match out of it that could've main evented a show anywhere in the world

9/10

Conclusion

This was on its way to being a great episode of AEW Dark, but then Kenny Omega graced us with his presence to remind us why he's the best wrestler in the world right now.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: NWK Reviews AEW Dark 10/13/19 ( OMG THAT MAIN EVENT)

Post by cero2k » Oct 16th, '19, 09:55

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 15th, '19, 23:18

Kenny basically shows up and says he's requested a match tonight as he's winless in AEW thusfar. Props to the Bucks for voicing annoyance at Kenny interrupting their interview. They're fine with this...until they find out it's Lights Out against Joey Janella, at which point they're pissed at him and they leave. This was fine for what it was. Say what you will about giving away a match like that on TV, but I think not having main event tier matches on your 'B' shows kills the marketability of the B-show over time.
And I hope they realize they don't need to do this every week, with this one in, they can do simpler matches in the coming weeks and maybe come back with another PPV level Dark main event after the PPV.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 16th, '19, 14:02

cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 09:55
NWK2000 wrote: Oct 15th, '19, 23:18

And I hope they realize they don't need to do this every week, with this one in, they can do simpler matches in the coming weeks and maybe come back with another PPV level Dark main event after the PPV.

I think the fact that they didn't do something similar on their first show indicates that they understand how to book a B-Show. Give guys who need wins wins, and further an angle or two. I think the only reason why they went ape-shit with Kenny was just to remind people how high level a talent he is.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 16th, '19, 16:12

1. So did they go into the show without a main event booked?
2. And it's a deathmatch because... (I mean, I can guess a storyline reason, but did they explicitly say anything on the air?)
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 16th, '19, 18:15

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 16:12 1. So did they go into the show without a main event booked?
2. And it's a deathmatch because... (I mean, I can guess a storyline reason, but did they explicitly say anything on the air?)
1. this isn't technically a show, there are no main events booked for Dark; it's the 'dark' matches, so they were just gonna show whatever else happened and fill in with recaps.

2. Omega wanted I don't remember everything that Omega said in the opening segment when he said he wanted the match, but during the match it was brought up that Omega wanted to prove he had what was needed to take on Mox by defeating Janela who had the other unsanctioned match with Mox.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 16th, '19, 19:31

cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 18:15
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 16:12 1. So did they go into the show without a main event booked?
1. this isn't technically a show, there are no main events booked for Dark; it's the 'dark' matches, so they were just gonna show whatever else happened and fill in with recaps.
This makes sense, but if they're going to really commit to this, they should make sure the show occasionally goes short by twenty minutes or long by thirty minutes or whatever.
cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 18:15 2. Omega wanted I don't remember everything that Omega said in the opening segment when he said he wanted the match, but during the match it was brought up that Omega wanted to prove he had what was needed to take on Mox by defeating Janela who had the other unsanctioned match with Mox.
Yeah, this is what I guessed it would be.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 16th, '19, 19:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 19:31
This makes sense, but if they're going to really commit to this, they should make sure the show occasionally goes short by twenty minutes or long by thirty minutes or whatever.
it's on Youtube, so they'll likely will. This week they went 12 minutes past with only three matches, while last week was 4 shorter matches. Realistically, this isn't kayfabe one hour because Schiavone works the control center and so they'll always be able to 'fill in' and make the hour.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 16th, '19, 21:49

cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 19:55
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 19:31
it's on Youtube, so they'll likely will. This week they went 12 minutes past with only three matches, while last week was 4 shorter matches. Realistically, this isn't kayfabe one hour because Schiavone works the control center and so they'll always be able to 'fill in' and make the hour.
Right... but I think it would be a good idea to also occasionally not make the whole hour, even with videos and whatever else, because the idea is that it's not supposed to be a show.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 17th, '19, 08:47

SCU and CIMA vs Dark Order/Hybrid 2 isn't a plausible B-Show main event to you?
Because Kenny has to prove to himself that he's ready for Mox ( something someone who hasn't gone without a win so far like The Young Bucks wouldn't empathize with)

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '19, 10:44

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 17th, '19, 08:47
SCU and CIMA vs Dark Order/Hybrid 2 isn't a plausible B-Show main event to you?
Because Kenny has to prove to himself that he's ready for Mox ( something someone who hasn't gone without a win so far like The Young Bucks wouldn't empathize with)
1. It's an issue of portrayal. Did they call the other one the main event and have time because it ended early, or did they go on the air without enough matches booked to fill their time like s WWE show will.

2. I think the Bucks have been around long enough to understand what Kenny is going through. They're just (rightfully) annoyed that he crashed their interview.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 17th, '19, 10:58

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 17th, '19, 10:44
1. It's an issue of portrayal. Did they call the other one the main event and have time because it ended early, or did they go on the air without enough matches booked to fill their time like s WWE show will.
On a B-Show it's easy to surmise they cut filler content, such as event center segments or an interview. And I think a match involving three teams in a much ballyhooed championship tournament could be a main event on a B-show. It's not like a Raw in 1997 I reviewed which, without the rescheduled WWF Championship match, would've had a main event of Bart Gunn vs Hunter.
2. I think the Bucks have been around long enough to understand what Kenny is going through. They're just (rightfully) annoyed that he crashed their interview.
It's a solid possibility that I'm overthinking it and that you're right, but I got a "Why would you challenge Janella to a hardcore match you idiot?" vibes