NWK posts the results of AEW Dark 11/5

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK2000

NWK posts the results of AEW Dark 11/5

Post by NWK2000 » Nov 5th, '19, 19:39

Shawn Spears def. Michael Nakazawa.
Sadie Gibbs and Allie def. Big Swole and Mercedes Martinez.
Jimmy Havoc & Joey Janela def. Jurassic Express.

Basically the only things of interest on this show were Janela and Havoc as a team, and MJF on commentary. 95 percent of the show was Full Gear hype, which, understandable, and I really hope Shawn gets a post Full Gear push, as he's way better than wrestling a comedy jobber.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: NWK posts the results of AEW Dark 11/5

Post by cero2k » Nov 6th, '19, 11:49

Gonna hijack this and add some of my thoughts

Opening - They've added Dasha Fuentes to the Control center. MJF is doing commentary with Excalibur, this is gonna be good.

Michael Nakazawa vs Shawn Spears w/Tully Blanchard - 5.5/10
It was the type of match that a lot of will hate because people hate fun, but Spears needed a win and this was perfectly good for him to get the win. There was a lot of comedy with oil and banana spots. Spears won with a Slingshot Jackhammer looking thing.

Sadie Gibbs & Allie vs Big Swole & Mercedes Martinez - 6.5/10
Blonde girls won, Sadie got the win with a moonsault and you could say the match was build around to get her over. She hit the Space Flying Tiger Drop and did a lot of power moves. Allie sucked, she needs to allow herself to just go out and add speed to her attacks.

The big takeaway really is that Swole and Martinez NEED contracts asap.

Britt Baker Promo - Mixed bag, it broke kayfabe talking about concussions, but her promo about how she knows the anatomy to completely destroy Bea Priestley's jaw was F'n awesome. Finally some good fire by Baker. Bea vs Baker confirmed for Full Gear.

From Undesirable to Undeniable with Jimmy Havoc - I liked it, Havoc came off as a likeable guy. He is wearing a great House of 1000 Corpses tee. RIP Sid Haig. Anyway, Havoc's story was nice.

Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt) vs Jimmy Havoc & Joey Janela - 7/10
As pointed out by Excalibur, Jungle Boy is actually the youngest in the match. Story here is that Havoc and Janela are not on the same page and JE obviously are, so while Havoc and Janela were good enough to beat either child, the lack of communication between them and the JE team work turned the tides on them. Another part of the story was that Janela was being more of a sportsman than Havoc. They still got the win with Janela hitting a top rope Package Piledriver. Havoc was busted open.

After the match, Spears attacked Joey Janela backstage and Spears either pulled one of Janela's teeth or he burnt Janela's tongue with a cigarette.

arguably the weakest of Dark episodes wrestling wise. Baker's promo was probably the best thing tonight.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 6th, '19, 12:16

cero2k wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 11:49 arguably the weakest of Dark episodes wrestling wise.
Maybe growing pains, learning as they go, but I'm wondering if they caught some flack from the network over the Janella/Omega match a few weeks ago. I feel like it was the talk of the week, but served more of a reason to tune into Dark the following week than to get people to tune in to Dynamite the following night. I could see TNT asking them to reel it in a bit on the free YouTube show... be good, but not too good, it's just supposed to be the appetizer.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 6th, '19, 12:26

Bob-O wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 12:16
cero2k wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 11:49 arguably the weakest of Dark episodes wrestling wise.
Maybe growing pains, learning as they go, but I'm wondering if they caught some flack from the network over the Janella/Omega match a few weeks ago. I feel like it was the talk of the week, but served more of a reason to tune into Dark the following week than to get people to tune in to Dynamite the following night. I could see TNT asking them to reel it in a bit on the free YouTube show... be good, but not too good, it's just supposed to be the appetizer.
could be but i doubt it, it's just the combination of matches they had. You don't want to force your guys to pull double duty when there's enough talent out there, and all three matches here definitely had a purpose, they just happened to be about Spears, Janela, and Gibbs. They can't all be winners.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '19, 12:55

cero2k wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 12:26
could be but i doubt it, it's just the combination of matches they had. You don't want to force your guys to pull double duty when there's enough talent out there, and all three matches here definitely had a purpose, they just happened to be about Spears, Janela, and Gibbs. They can't all be winners.
This
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '19, 12:56

For someone who is supposed to be a heel, they seem intent on booling Speard against other heels post-Cody.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 6th, '19, 15:11

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 12:56 For someone who is supposed to be a heel, they seem intent on booling Speard against other heels post-Cody.
Who? Janela, Nakazawa, even technically MJF are all babyfaces right now

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '19, 15:11

cero2k wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 15:11
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 12:56 For someone who is supposed to be a heel, they seem intent on booling Speard against other heels post-Cody.
Who? Janela, Nakazawa, even technically MJF are all babyfaces right now
Ambrose on show 2, Nakazawa now. How is Nakazawa a babyface? In every promo he buries the crowd.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Nov 6th, '19, 16:35

NWK2000 wrote: Nov 5th, '19, 19:39Basically the only things of interest on this show were Janela and Havoc as a team, and MJF on commentary. 95 percent of the show was Full Gear hype, which, understandable, and I really hope Shawn gets a post Full Gear push, as he's way better than wrestling a comedy jobber.
Like being a comedy jobber himself.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 6th, '19, 17:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 15:11
Ambrose on show 2, Nakazawa now. How is Nakazawa a babyface? In every promo he buries the crowd.
we're already having this conversation somewhere else and I know that unless Nakazawa is giving out cookies to sick kids, he's a heel. Gluten free cookies.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Nov 7th, '19, 08:39

Thelone wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 16:35
NWK2000 wrote: Nov 5th, '19, 19:39Basically the only things of interest on this show were Janela and Havoc as a team, and MJF on commentary. 95 percent of the show was Full Gear hype, which, understandable, and I really hope Shawn gets a post Full Gear push, as he's way better than wrestling a comedy jobber.
Like being a comedy jobber himself.
Absolutely incorrect. I get why people sleep on Shawn, but I LOVE his presentation in AEW. I love his entrance, I love the chemistry between him and Tully. He has potential to be a great heel, he just needs something to sink his teeth into, and I think Joey Janella, who's had a ton of standout performances so far, is just what the doctor ordered.
It's also the B-show before a Pay Per View, they're not going to start anything new. If next week show is like this, or there's a noticeable dip in quality, there might be creedence to your theory, I'm just hesitant to call it until there are too many examples to be an off show/coincidence.

If the big 8-man tag team jamborees that main evened the first couple Darks were any indication, it's that they're willing to play loose with the face/heel dynamic. which I think leads to some interesting storytelling
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Nov 7th, '19, 15:14

NWK2000 wrote: Nov 7th, '19, 08:39Absolutely incorrect.
You're right, that would imply that he's funny, which he isn't. One-note jobber is a more apt description.
I get why people sleep on Shawn, but I LOVE his presentation in AEW. I love his entrance, I love the chemistry between him and Tully. He has potential to be a great heel, he just needs something to sink his teeth into, and I think Joey Janella, who's had a ton of standout performances so far, is just what the doctor ordered.
People "sleep" on him because he's unremarkable in every possible way. Spears is a guy who has spent almost ten years combined in developmental and only got out of it because people loved chanting "TEN"... and then he had to wrestle and remind everyone why he was stuck in OVW/FCW/NXT for an ice age. The guy is reaching forty, has been wrestling for almost twenty and only got this spot because he's a good pal of Cody, it never happened with him for good reasons and not "BECAUSE WWE IS EVIL" or whatever.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 7th, '19, 17:58

NWK2000 wrote: Nov 7th, '19, 08:39 It's also the B-show before a Pay Per View, they're not going to start anything new. If next week show is like this, or there's a noticeable dip in quality, there might be creedence to your theory, I'm just hesitant to call it until there are too many examples to be an off show/coincidence.
I love a good conspiracy, and I'm kind of a mark for them. But if I'm the network, by my logic, I'm asking why everyone's talking about this free Omega/Janella match on YouTube while we're airing Darby Allin vs Jimmy Havoc. I'm wondering why Kenny Omega isn't on our show at all this week, when he's a big reason we signed up. Omega/Janella was then done again on Dynamite the following week by order of Tony Kahn (according to Meltzer) last minute, when Omega was originally slated to wrestle Cima (I think...) due to the reception the Dark match had. Seems weird to me. We don't hear much about Kahn stepping in on those decisions, nor AEW having rematches... lots of things here are out of character for these guys.

Or... I'm just overthinking it, because I love a good conspiracy. I do it all the time - but you can't tell me Omega wasn't a big selling point when they pitched this show around, especially when Mox wasn't a done deal.
Thelone wrote: Nov 7th, '19, 15:14
NWK2000 wrote: Nov 7th, '19, 08:39Absolutely incorrect.
You're right, that would imply that he's funny, which he isn't. One-note jobber is a more apt description.
I get why people sleep on Shawn, but I LOVE his presentation in AEW. I love his entrance, I love the chemistry between him and Tully. He has potential to be a great heel, he just needs something to sink his teeth into, and I think Joey Janella, who's had a ton of standout performances so far, is just what the doctor ordered.
People "sleep" on him because he's unremarkable in every possible way. Spears is a guy who has spent almost ten years combined in developmental and only got out of it because people loved chanting "TEN"... and then he had to wrestle and remind everyone why he was stuck in OVW/FCW/NXT for an ice age. The guy is reaching forty, has been wrestling for almost twenty and only got this spot because he's a good pal of Cody, it never happened with him for good reasons and not "BECAUSE WWE IS EVIL" or whatever.
We get it, man. You're not much for Spears. We're probably going to agree to disagree here, but I'm with NWK on this one. I like the Tully/Spears combo and feel like it has plenty of runway. They shouldn't be feuding with Cody by any means, but he should absolutely be in the hunt for a secondary title should they ever roll one out. He's not the guy to build a stable around, but say if Marty winds up under Tully's wing I think Spears is a solid secondary guy... an Arn to Marty's Flair...

I'm not saying he was ever The Next Big Thing, but thinking he was utilized appropriately in WWE is a little short sighted. My opinion, but I feel like he carried the match with Cody to something I enjoyed when not a lot of people can do. Hell, if anything, I'd say Cody's the one in the spot he doesn't deserve... Spears is just being given an opportunity, and I think he's making the most of it.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '19, 15:56

Thelone wrote: Nov 7th, '19, 15:14
that's a lot of people out there and if they don't get shots, then we'll never know. Look at Juice Robinson, who had no right in the world to become who he is now if everyone just treated him as a comedy jobber. NJPW took a risk with a developmental jobber and got an amazing talent out of him. If Spears fails with time, then he'll fail, but one feud and a half is not enough to really say he's done.