Backstage Reaction On Survivor Series Main Event

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

Backstage Reaction On Survivor Series Main Event

Post by Bob-O » Nov 30th, '19, 21:27

Source: wrestlinginc

As noted before, via @Wrestlevotes, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon reportedly felt like the 2019 WWE Survivor Series pay-per-view main event was a "major disappointment." The show ended with WWE NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler winning the non-title Triple Threat over RAW Women's Champion Becky Lynch and SmackDown Women's Champion Bayley, which made NXT win the night with 4 wins over the 1 for RAW and the 2 for SmackDown.

In an update, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that the awkward spots in the main event came as a surprise because the match was heavily worked on and practice ahead of time. The match got so bad that Vince was said to be "really mad" about it as it was happening.

There was a rumor going around that said Vince was so mad during the match that he was telling the referee high spots for the talents to do, but sources in WWE have only told The Observer that McMahon was mad, but had every right to be. They denied the story about him sending high spots to the referee as the match was going on.

Regarding Baszler, her push was the idea behind the match and really the entire angle. The original plan for Baszler was to have her on the main roster in 2020, but there's no word yet on if that is still the plan.

Serujuunin

Re: Backstage Reaction On Survivor Series Main Event

Post by Serujuunin » Dec 1st, '19, 01:33

I didn't feel like the match was that bad... I mean, not super fantastic, certainly not a stand out (especially with Dunne v Cole on the card), but it sounds like management thought it was hot garbage, and I definitely didn't feel that way.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 1st, '19, 10:23

Serujuunin wrote: Dec 1st, '19, 01:33 I didn't feel like the match was that bad... I mean, not super fantastic, certainly not a stand out (especially with Dunne v Cole on the card), but it sounds like management thought it was hot garbage, and I definitely didn't feel that way.
From most accounts it seems that Vince was the only one screaming "hot garbage", and his 'yes men' followed suit. It just wasn't a good scenario, it wasn't the right match to close the show. Nothing against Baszler, but if they wanted to close a ppv by putting an NXT talent over... her? Really?

By their apparent formula for the night, giving Keith Lee the rub at the end would have been the way to go in my opinion.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 1st, '19, 10:51

For what it's worth, some of the usual commentating crowd was pretty down on it and noted some botches. Meltzer gave it **.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Dec 1st, '19, 11:43

Sure, it wasn’t spectacular, and I definitely noticed some botches too, but it didn’t make it any less enjoyable for me personally. I’m also not a fan of Bayley’s character currently and while I love Becky, I feel like she’s getting a bit stale, so I was excited to see Baszler go over. Especially because I thought NXT was going to get flogged since RAW is the “A Show” but they’re pushing Smackdown so hard with the FOX move.

I think I would have liked putting Lee over more, but I really like Shayna, and while the match itself didn’t blow the top off the place, having her win kinda felt like it made her feel real, like it solidified her as a real champion and a very real, dangerous type of person.

And in my opinion, the rest of Survivor Series was actually fairly good (WAY better than previous years for sure), and they definitely didn’t pick the strongest match to close the show.

I dunno, I just don’t feel like it was that bad. I definitely wouldn’t have given it only **.

And did anyone else feel like “of course RAW had to get the last laugh, they couldn’t hit let NXT have the win”? It actually made me physically groan lol.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 1st, '19, 12:07

Serujuunin wrote: Dec 1st, '19, 11:43

And did anyone else feel like “of course RAW had to get the last laugh, they couldn’t hit let NXT have the win”? It actually made me physically groan lol.
I didn't like it, but my understanding is that this was intended to set up a Becky vs. Baszler singles match (probably at Mania), so I guess it was at least productive. Becky definitely came off like an asshole, though.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Dec 2nd, '19, 11:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 1st, '19, 12:07
Serujuunin wrote: Dec 1st, '19, 11:43

I didn't like it, but my understanding is that this was intended to set up a Becky vs. Baszler singles match (probably at Mania), so I guess it was at least productive. Becky definitely came off like an asshole, though.
I guess I don’t hate it as much then, since it supposedly served a purpose, but I guess we’ll see if that match ever actually happens.

And I’ve kinda noticed that Becky comes off like an asshole quite a bit. I won’t say it puts me off, since that’s kind of her way, but it made her look like a sore loser here for sure.