AEW Being Investigated By The Maryland State Athletic Commission

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

AEW Being Investigated By The Maryland State Athletic Commission

Post by Bob-O » Nov 30th, '19, 21:21

Source: wrestlinginc

The Maryland State Athletic Commission is reportedly investigating AEW over the "Unsanctioned Lights Out" Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega match that took place at AEW Full Gear on November 9.

Former WCW announcer Chris Cruise recently contacted the commission regarding the Omega vs. Moxley match and asked about their rules on blading, and allowing matches to continue if a performer is bleeding either intentionally or unintentionally, and if there was a commission doctor at the show, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

After repeated requests, Cruise was told that the commission prohibits wrestlers from deliberately lacerating themselves or their opponents, or introducing human or animal blood into the match. The commission also said they were at Full Gear and they had a doctor assigned to the show. They also stated that they were conducting a formal investigation into the match and because of that investigation, they were unable to comment on questions about the match.

Cruise recently Wrestling with History podcast and talked about why he doesn't see AEW succeeding.

"AEW has millions of dollars from the son of a billionaire and is not setting the world on fire and will not succeed," Cruise said. "It may last a long time, but will never be profitable. Somebody once said 'if you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and buy an airline.' It's the same thing with a pro wrestling organization; it's just going to bleed you dry. Not everything is guaranteed to last forever. It's my convention that wrestling has seen better days."

Below is Cruise's Facebook post from November 23, where he mentioned his plans to contact the commission:

I'll be asking the Maryland State Athletic Commission why it didn't enforce its own rules at AEW Full Gear. Here are some of those rules. See esp. (m).
F. Prohibited Activities.

(1) The following actions are prohibited:
(a) Striking an opponent with a fist or using the knuckles;
(b) Scratching or gouging the opponent;
(c) Butting the opponent;
(d) Slamming an opponent into a ring post;
(e) Striking an opponent with a foreign object;
(f) Kicking an opponent unless a recognized wrestling move;
(g) Stranglehold;
(h) Pulling hair;
(i) Inhibiting breathing by covering the nose and mouth at the same time;
(j) Jumping from the ring ropes onto an opponent;
(k) Deliberately leaving the ring enclosure during a contest;
(l) Unsportsmanlike or physically dangerous conduct; and
(m) Deliberately lacerating oneself or one's opponent, or, by any other means, introducing human or animal blood into the ring.
(2) A wrestler continuing to engage in prohibited activities after sufficient warning may be disqualified by the referee.

Big Red Machine

Re: AEW Being Investigated By The Maryland State Athletic Commission

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 1st, '19, 08:27

I'm caught here between my firm belief in following the state's rules and the fact that these rules are so clearly moronically archaic. In theory I don't have a problem with a state prohibiting blading, but it's impossible to take them seriously if they do so in the same document as they are prohibiting hair-pulling and using a closed fist.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 1st, '19, 10:14

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 1st, '19, 08:27 I'm caught here between my firm belief in following the state's rules and the fact that these rules are so clearly moronically archaic. In theory I don't have a problem with a state prohibiting blading, but it's impossible to take them seriously if they do so in the same document as they are prohibiting hair-pulling and using a closed fist.
It reads like a kayfabe rulebook lol...

I'm looking at it thinking to myself, "these are mostly things the ref would warn about, but wouldn't dq anyone for...", so I'm wondering if these rules are for boxing/shoot events, and wrestling get's the "but we're 'sports ENTERTAINMENT'..." loophole that Vince is known for exploiting. It would be almost impossible to run a show in Maryland under these guidelines!

The real question is why in the world is Chris Cruise so salty with AEW! Dude seems to have a real chip on his shoulder!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 1st, '19, 11:44

Bob-O wrote: Dec 1st, '19, 10:14
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 1st, '19, 08:27 I'm caught here between my firm belief in following the state's rules and the fact that these rules are so clearly moronically archaic. In theory I don't have a problem with a state prohibiting blading, but it's impossible to take them seriously if they do so in the same document as they are prohibiting hair-pulling and using a closed fist.
It reads like a kayfabe rulebook lol...

I'm looking at it thinking to myself, "these are mostly things the ref would warn about, but wouldn't dq anyone for...", so I'm wondering if these rules are for boxing/shoot events, and wrestling get's the "but we're 'sports ENTERTAINMENT'..." loophole that Vince is known for exploiting. It would be almost impossible to run a show in Maryland under these guidelines!

The real question is why in the world is Chris Cruise so salty with AEW! Dude seems to have a real chip on his shoulder!
Yeah....because NONE of these things EVER happen in wrestling shows in Maryland....EVER...

....GTFOH.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 2nd, '19, 09:45

this sounds like the old people of the League of Decency trying to find something to do

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 2nd, '19, 10:47

IT'S ME AUSTIN! IT'S ME AUSTIN! IT WAS ME ALLLLL ALONG AUSTIN!

...you know how much I hate these idiots...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.